Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

He sits around googling his name to see if people are talking about him. That's just about the saddest thing...

But he should be sadder after all he did to people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Yadoppsi posted:

Details on this?

Basically if you do the numbers on transitioning the trust fund to public stock holdings as well as diverting future taxes into the same accounts you quickly end up with dollar amounts larger than the entire market capitalization of the major exchanges. If values held SS accounts would own everything.

What would actually occur is that the values would rise dramatically as a result of tons more money chasing fewer investments. If you happen to already own stocks this is fantastic news which is why rich people are so obsessed with the idea.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Most Catholics I've spoken to personally have been very similar to Evangelicals. Then again I'm from rural Pennsylvania so that's probably part of it. A depressing majority of Christians in general I've met in these parts have been awful people that use Jesus to justify being hateful, spiteful dickheads that despise everything.

My father, who is solidly republican, has straight up said that if a potential client mentions wanting a "real Christian business relationship" he looks for every opportunity to end it ASAP because that person is going to absolutely screw you over.

According to my mom he's been pretty pissed off about how Trump is floundering so badly. "We need to get the lawyers out of government and get a real businessman in charge" has been his go-to solution for everything he sees as wrong with things and the foolishness of that position is very publicly collapsing in front of him. I just hope he manages to not go completely down thee Fox News rabbit hole :sigh:

Maybe I can introduce him to the glory of the orb. :orb:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

JBP posted:

What on loving earth?

Basically shorthand for "I want this to be a deal where we don't try to screw the other person over to maximize the money one of us gets but instead try to treat each other fairly and like family because we are both brothers in Christ."

Like others have said it is probably a Southern thing. And also like others have said when someone feels the need to state that sort of thing at the beginning of a business transaction you should hold onto your wallet because they are going to try and take you for everything they can. My father works in an industry where the contracts are often won-win-win so it is doubly suspicious when people start to say it.

The worst part is they usually are 110% convinced they are completely right and you are wrong. Every little extra they demand will be cast as just them asking for what is fair and every time you point out that it is going to gently caress you they will either appeal to keeping everything from being about money or just straight up accuse you of being un-Christian for being obsessed with profit. If you point to the contract they will try and weasel out of it and if you dare bring up the topic of getting a lawyer involved you are pretty much the second coming of the devil.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Triskelli posted:

Yeah I love Hilton Head Island too :v:

Well done.

Never could really figure out why Ohioans loved HHI so much.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I've seen a lot of people online blaming the NYTimes for publishing the story.

And I know it is a hot take but I just keep thinking "at least it was their NYTimes. If the Sun or Daily Mail had gotten hold of them they would have also published the name and home address of the poor sap that sold the backpack to the bomber".

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sloober posted:

The people that say they'll vote him because of that will have voted for him regardless of it happening

It is also possible the person had already voted by mail and once someone votes for a particular candidate it is all but impossible to get them to not support that candidate because that would mean admitting to themselves that their vote was a mistake

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Grapplejack posted:

This is roughly how big they are, too. Imagine something that loving big that's also able to take a bullet to the face, and it hates you personally.

They are drat smart too, don't forget that (because they won't). For any particular type of trap you get one or two hances at capturing an entire herd. Any that are outside of the trap when it goes off will remember that trap for the rest of their lives and won't go anywhere near anything that looks remotely similar.

There is one group of trappers who have been working near where my father lives that will set up a massive fenced enclosure with multiple entry points and a bunch of cellular-connected video cameras. They will then spend a week or so getting a good count of how many pigs there are in the herd the remotely triggering the trap when they see them all in it on the cameras. Finally they have to race out to the trap location to kill the pigs before they completely destroy the trap trying to get out. It's loving ridiculous and they charge many thousands of dollars but it is about the only thing that works.

That's why they wanted to be able to use hot air balloons - the pigs learned the sound of the trucks and low-flying helicopters they were using to hunt them before and would be gone long before you could get a shot.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FizFashizzle posted:

Oh meadows is a total piece of poo poo. He doesn't give a drat. He didn't get to the head of the Freedom Caucus because of his personal empathy.

Again, I'm in his district. It is composed of two parts.

A. Asheville - he would be murdered and chopped up in the streets if the hippies could figure out how best to distribute his pieces to coop compost heaps in a way that would do the least amount of damage to indigenous ant population

B. Surrounding regions - NOTHING but opiate addiction, medicare, and preexisting conditions. Just to give you an idea of how bad the opiate and meth problem is here; the LAPD sends their SWAT team to train with the guys in Heywood county.

He's doing this so he can say, if it passes, that he had no idea how hard it was going to literally murder the people that voted for him.

His district now carves out Asheville proper and only takes the suburbs. And the suburbs around Asheville are stuffed full of people that completely define themselves around "fuk those goddamn Asheville hippy liberals". If you told them that cutting of one of their legs would cause a liberal to lose both of theirs they would ask if they cutting off both would make two liberals legless.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Deadulus posted:

This is weird as poo poo.

Where are their normal readers going? Are they actually going to MSM to read about trump because Breitbart et al won't cover it? Or are they just skipping the news? I know a lot of RWM types and they loving hate anything going outside their bubble.

The pro-Trump networks on twitter and Facebook were spamming the poo poo out of Breitbart articles to get them into trending news sections. Since a lot of those accounts have gone mysteriously silent about Trump after the election they don't have the same reach.

Additionally it is nearly impossible to overstate just how much the RWM relied on "Clinton evil!" articles to drive traffic. Hating on Bill and Hillary by itself was pretty much a multi-billion dollar industry and losing the ability to milk that has really hit them hard.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

hanales posted:

New York Times reporter claims "Was too over the top to report on in the past"

I don't know how legit this guy is though. All I could find on NYtimes from him were a couple of opinion pieces.

https://twitter.com/JYSexton/status/868255116859555840

I dunno, but this is a pretty on point observation:

https://twitter.com/JYSexton/status/868256158078730240

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

GaussianCopula posted:

You should appreciate that McMaster is paying the ultimate price to keep Trump somewhat in check by serving under him.

I appreciate that he pretty much confirmed the story as true and indicated that there are more such dealings that need to be uncovered.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's not just that - they're straight up not reporting the biggest political story/stories going on right now. you can't survive just ignoring that poo poo.

on john oliver they showed some fox news psycho reporting it was a whole lot of nothing but then two days later some more poo poo leaked out and he's like yeah poo poo is happening. it gets to a point where spin is impossible even for these nut jobs.

They are in a catch-22 situation. Not reporting on the stories causes viewers to leave because they know they aren't getting the important news. Reporting on the stories however causes (other) viewers to leave because they don't want to see their guy in trouble.

Ny father is in that second group. He will change the channel if fox puts on any that is remotely bad for trump.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

Would this have any practical effect given that Trump can give Kushner any information he wants and it immediately becomes declassified?

Declassification of information would legally make it subject to FIOA though. It isn't something to do flippantly because it would cause massive problems in exchange for minor inconvenience.

Which sadly probably increases the odds that trump will do it.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

twice burned ice posted:

This is really insidious.

He's tweeting to make sure his base knows that the only source of REAL AUTHENTIC TOTALLY NOT FAKE news is from his fat loving fingers.

No, he's just pissed off that the world isn't worshipping him like he knows he deserves and is unable to come to grips with the idea that the media is able to source poo poo without going through him. All he knows is running a business entirely stuffed with sycophants and people under ironclad NDAs instead of career politicians and civil servants who have zero loyalty to Trump (although many have extreme loyalty to "The President").

This is entirely new and unexpected territory for him and he has no loving idea what to do. You know how in the Wizard of Oz when Toto pulls back the curtain and Oz panics trying to get them to pay attention to the giant flame-wrapped head that is the "real" wizard? That's where Trump is now.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

enraged_camel posted:

Trump's lack of understanding of basic civics is obviously not the only reason why he is struggling, but it absolutely contributes.

But I'm also not talking about just basic civics. There are some fundamental differences between the private sector and the government sector – operational and cultural – that makes experience in one mostly if not almost completely irrelevant in the other. That's why trying to run the government "like a business" is dumb and doesn't work. But it tends to be every ex-business leader politician's instinct to do so because they simply know of no other way.

I agree, and the differences are even larger between government and tightly privately held businesses like Trump's. At least in publicly held large companies the CEOs have to deal with keeping shareholders and corporate boards happy. By all accounts Trump runs his businesses exactly like many sole proprietorships do: exclusively for his own benefit and according to whatever whims he has at the moment. That style of management wouldn;t work for a town mayor, much less the presidency.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

CyberPingu posted:

Some guy did a video a while back where their isnt even a regulation on how accurate the calorie count needed to be. So he went around and found that like Starbucks muffins (i think it was SB) had almost double the calories that they had on their board

Was it this one?. In that one the offending muffin was one that is pretty much omnipresent in bodegas around NYC. Consistency of the counts is a pretty big issue at restaurants but oddly enough the major fast food franchises tend to be the best and most accurate because their foods have the ingredient amounts controlled down to tenths of an oz because any extra mayo/flour/meat means less profit for them.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Al Borland Corp. posted:

What will the NRA do once 3D printed weapons begin to approach the quality and reliability of gun manufacturers? You can anyway print a gun, it sucks, but give it 5-10 years.

Will they side with hobbyists as an individual right? Or will they side with the manufacturers who are going to be lobbying for this to be banned?

If they do, what will NRA membership think of the orgs silence on new laws banning home printed weapons?

The NRA is similar to the GOP in that they buddied up to the crazy for so long that they are stuffed full of true believers. Exorcising them would destroy the organization so the leadership will probably dance around the subject while being vaguely pro-printed-gun until the really crazy nut jobs get enough power to install someone who will go all-in.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

empty whippet box posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/30/politics/michael-flynn-documents-senate/index.html?adkey=bn

Can I assume this means they've doctored them or that they don't have anything incriminating in them? Frankly, I assume that anyone involved in this will literally do anything at all to avoid providing incriminating evidence, so I'm staunchly pessimistic about it. However, it'd be great if there's actually The Good Stuff somewhere in these documents.

Until I see otherwise, though, I'm gonna assume it's yet another stalling tactic.

There will be counterparties to those records who will have the correct versions and at some point the versions will get compared and the discrepancies discovered. At that point everyone involved in the doctoring is turbofucked. Flynn's lawyers would walk before they would agree.

You'd be much better off turning the documents indicating guilt over and hoping that you can somehow maybe get them kicked out of evidence on a technically or trying to bury the juicy bits in piles of banal bullshit and hoping that it gets missed.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I'm a bit surprised that the president of the US would have a dial-able cell phone number. I would have thought that everything would have to go through the White House switchboard or (for hush hush stuff) some random number that appears to be a boring call-for-info service until you enter some 20 digit code which forwards you to him.

Just wait until the debt limit crisis and he gives a speech outlining how Racheal from card services will fix our nations' credit issue.

Or maybe they took away his ability to receive calls in his cell without telling him and he's wondering why nobody calls anymore :saddowns:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I wake up and covfefe happened.

Thankfully the Washington Post is on the case:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

RottenK posted:

has anyone in the media admitted that their "BOTH SIDES ARE BAD!!!" horserace garbage helped Trump and his fascists

like, at least one person

A few have yes. But the worst offenders are still either playing dumb to avoid facing the music or are actually so stupid that they can't see what they did.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

RottenK posted:

Chris Cillizza should be guillotined.

However did you manage to know exactly who I was thinking about when I said that the worst offenders haven't owned their fuckup?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Fart Amplifier posted:

Sure but you wouldn't use your personal lawyer, would you? Like if you're a CEO and your CFO is being charged with a crime, the CEO's personal lawyer wouldn't have anything to do with it. Admittedly I know nothing about this and maybe this is normal.

In those sorts of situations you should definitely use your own personal lawyer because they work for you and only you. Relying on a lawyer that is hired by the company could result in bad things for you because there can be situations where throwing you under the bus would be in the best interests of the company. Likewise it s possible that what would be best for you would hurt the company.

I dunno the actual bar association ethics rules involved in such a situation though so I don't know whether the company lawyers would advise you to do something against your private best interests or if they would instead tell you "hey you need your own attorney, we can't advise you on this".

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I find it annoying that people keep treating Trump's flailing as some sort of plan to distract us from other issues.

Yes the clowns in a circus might use comic ineptitude to draw attention to allow the next act to set up, but at this point the trump team has pulled the equivalent of running out with flaming pants causing the elephants to trample the audience and driving the clown car into the pole turning the tight rope walker to be a crater with a mush of organs in the bottom. This isn't part of the act, they are just that stupid.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Majorian posted:

Oh yeah, my wife keeps mentioning that place. I'm not sure why, I think she wants something from there.:downs:

Breakfast. Duh.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

big time bisexual posted:

I know it sounds ridiculous but Fojar is referencing something that actually happened a few weeks ago.

http://www.ecns.cn/cns-wire/2017/05-05/256281.shtml

This is just the most depressingly hilarious thing.

Doesn't the US embassy record air quality, with the measurements almost always being much higher than the "official" CCP approved reading?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

twice burned ice posted:

So I've been thinking about the law that was just passed in the California senate that requires candidates to release 5 years of tax returns to be on the ballot. Upon first reading about it, I was excited because it should mean that we'll never have another situation like the one we've had with Trump.

But in reality, it doesn't actually matter, and is yet another rule that only Democrats will bother following. A Republican presidential candidate could absolutely decline to release his returns, not bother being on the ballot, lose the national popular vote by 15 million votes, and still end up winning the election.

Hell, I'd posit that they could even brag about not running in California and their base would go loving gaga over it.

Not having the presidential candidate on the ballot to motivate their voters would absolutely destroy the California GOP. California still sends 14 GOP representatives to congress.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Gnossiennes posted:

This was back in the 90s, and I'm pretty sure his opinions had existed within him for some time prior to that. I don't get it. For me, my exposure to the bad opinions of far right conservatives towards environmentalists/conservationists also included a weird amount of misogyny (seriously, any woman associated with it was a slut or whore or lesbian, a feminazi, etc).

Was he a Rush Limbaugh listener? In the early 90s using that word was a pretty strong indicator that he was and that would explain a lot of the misogyny.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Chilichimp posted:

Atlanta is prolly dominos or pizza hut right now now

Speaking of Atlanta and food there was a place southwest of Atlanta right off I-20 called Jurassic Subs. It is a sub shop with dinosaurs everywhere and it is loving awesome.

the sandwich was decent but any shortcomings were more than made up for by the dinosaurs

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Tevery Best posted:

As a non-American, can I ask why is that?

Our constitution prohibits making things retroactively illegal and prohibits taking something away without compensating the owner. Courts have also ruled that newly prohibiting an owner from using their land in a particular way can be effectively taking something from them because their land is now less valuable and so requires compensation.

If the government decides to make no exceptions and tries to pay the land owners for the loss of value due to the new restrictions it often leads to massively complex legal battles as owners try to force the payout as high as possible. This is made worse by the fact that uses that governments generally don't like are often run by unsavory or aggressively litigious people. So instead most laws that add or change land use restrictions grandfather in the already in place legal uses.

In cases where the government wants the use gone but doesn't want to pay up right now like the road plazas, a strip club in a now residential area, or billboards along highways the government will often keep an eye on the property, buy it if it ever comes onto the market, apply the new restrictions (governments don't have to compensate themselves), and resell it.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 3, 2017

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Kaal posted:

There's a big loophole in the tax system where you can allege the value of a property based on what you could develop there; without having to actually develop it. The $100 million figure was probably based on some exaggerated vision of a casino / golf course / hotel empire that hypothetically could have been built. It's tax fraud but the government doesn't fight back very hard about it. The real estate industry is filled with huckster poo poo like this.

Yep. The new hot thing is to encumber your property with restrictions that would apply to anyone who might buy it if you close shop and leave and then fight to have you property declared essentially worthless for property tax purposes because nobody would be interested in building anything there under those terms.

It is called the "dark store" strategy as it is especially popular with big box retailers.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 4, 2017

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

PhazonLink posted:

"To partially balance our budget and to pay off recent security cost in NYC we decided to stop replacing these signs."

Comdey option : Take a creative interpretation of "prominently displayed" and bash Donnie.

Outhouse sign.

A nice outhouse mind you.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

The 36% or whatever left will never believe anything damaging about Trump, his administration, or GOP leadership. Whatever Trump says, goes.

There could be a videos from different angles released with Trump shaking Kislyak's hand saying "Thanks for all the money and hacking, you'll receive Ukraine soon," corroborating testimony, tavel logs, you name it, and Trump supporters would say it's all faked.

I'll believe he's removed from office when he's, you know, removed from office.

The only thing that could get the GOP base to hate Trump is if he started doing things that made liberals happy. They don't really care about the issues they proclaim to vote based upon beyond how mad the issues make their opposition.

Remember how the GOP would be all for a thing until the instant Obama said he was for the thing and the they 180°ed pretty much mid-sentence? They didn't (just) do that because they were racist but instead because they understood that their base would instantly turn on that issue because if the liberals want it then it can't be good.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Trump's personal lawyer has to demand to be paid very very well to put up with this sort of poo poo.

In advance, of course.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Javes posted:

Why do air traffic controllers keep coming up in US policy debates over the decades?

Complaining about the ATC system and the FAA is the rich equivalent of complaining about highway traffic and the DMV.

The rich interact with them a ton more. They fly a lot more and ATC imposed delays are her closest they get to the hell that is modern economy air travel. They whine about aircraft noise over their mansions and demand route changes (often getting legislator buddies a call). Finally many are also pilots and ATCs are one of the only authorities that they have to respect and which doesn't treat them with white gloves.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It never fails to surprise me that, for all the high-tech approaches you could theoretically take, it is still sufficient to phish folks for credentials. It really feels like a sufficiently large organization is powerless again failing against that sort of thing because you are bound to have at least one idiot who takes the bait and then it's all over.

Hardware 2 factor tokens are about the only defense.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Trabisnikof posted:

You can still phish for 2 factor tokens, you just have to be ready to immediately use the credential.

The little number ones sure. Even then that's a huge deal because you've got to have your attack lined up and launch it within seconds.

The usb-based tokens use a cryptographic exchange that prevents phishing because the token won't respond without first receiving a proper request and the phishing website won't have the right keys to generate it.

Too bad infected word documents will still work just fine with either.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yeah, 90% of the unfilled nominations are all-work, no-glory positions that mostly require competence and experience, and no one who values their long term government careers wants to be associated with this White House. Wingnut Welfare only works if you're in a media-friendly position before you fall on your sword.

Even those no-glory positions are quite the payday. Being able to say "Well let's go over this with former Assistant Undersecretary of X" to wow a client is really valuable for lobbying firms, and corporations also like to keep those sorts of people around as advisors for the same reason. There are plenty of people that would be willing to take the positions.

Normal presidents would chose people to fill the important slots themselves (and use the really unimportant ones to give out cushy jobs to donors) and then delegate the rest by telling their chosen agency heads to get a good slate of candidates together. Trump doesn't want to put in the work to understand what each position does and doesn't delegate hiring decisions for fear for not getting someone sufficiently loyal, so here we are.

Its funny, he first came up with the excuse that he wasn't nominating people to those positions because the positions weren't needed. I guess he thought that made him look smart and business savvy, but of course he can't keep his story straight for more than ten seconds at a time so now we have another completely contradictory excuse for the positions not being filled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ReidRansom posted:

Haha oh man I'd never considered this aspect of the unfilled nominations.

This loving guy

I don't have anything to back up the assertion that it is what is holding up the nominations but there is plenty out there tying each tendency to Trump and the combination of them just makes sense.

• Locked thread