Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

A lovely Reporter posted:

Trump continues to be completely loving insane, and apparently the OP of the Trump thread has joined him. Let us continue to discuss the ongoing catastrofuck that is America under the Trump administration.

I think you're overreacting, let's give him a chance.

Nice username/post combo tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Fun geology fact: mountain ranges are actually very young relative to Earth history which is counter-intuitive for most people. Major mountain ranges in the modern are usually no more than 100-200 million years old, the Earth is 4.5 billion.

Don't size shame the Appalachians, the Rockies are taller but they're also really young babby mountains (formed 80-55 mya).

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

Francis is modern, properly educated guy with real life experiences in charge of a massive bureaucracy that sits atop 1.2 billion people, a large portion of which literally still believe in demonic possession and the power of sacred relics.

If he came out tomorrow and gave the opening speech from Young Pope there'd be a literal revolt in the vatican and some millennia old rule would be invoked that would leave him drawn and quartered in like antioch or something.

He's already basically come out in favor of the theory of evolution which even twenty years ago would have been unheard of.

hopefully he can get enough hutzpah to legalize contraceptives because using the catholic church to teach and disperse loving condoms would solve a whole slew of problems.

more than likely we'll get female members of the clergy and there's an outside shot of letting priests marry. I mean poo poo the lutherans let their priests marry and you can convert as a member of the clergy to catholicism and keep your wife like who cares at this point

Catholics have been down with evolution for quite a while, much longer than 20 years. It's only really Evangelical Protestants that are into creationism.

But you're right, he's doing a good job of steering the church in a more progressive direction and he can't radically change such a huge institution with almost two thousand years of inertia behind it.

I particularly like how vocal he's been about climate change and the environment, but also things like refugees.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

QuoProQuid posted:

the new translation is awful and i hate it

also, i have no idea how this thread manages to be so consistently awful when it comes to discussions of religion

The A/T christianity thread is very chill and good with lots of healthy discussion and posting silly hats.

theflyingorc posted:

Uh, I'm actually quite surprised at the quality of religion discussion in this thread, usually.

The only thing that the thread gets wrong is over-estimating how many evangelicals are into endtimes stuff (it's like 20% of them or something, guys)

The biggest problem with talking religion on the internet is people assuming all Christians are American Evangelicals.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Do you remember when everyone lost their poo poo about Obama's (lack of) a flag lapel pin

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Trump at Arlington is the equivalent of having a moment of silence for our war dead, everyone but Trump bows their heads to pay respect and reflect on their sacrifices but Trump is a bored idiot who doesn't understand decorum so he keeps talking loudly.

You would think as a reality TV star he would be more aware of his public image but then he does stuff like shove other NATO heads, flip off the Italian PM, stupid overly aggressive handshakes, and is disrespectful at Arlington.

It's not that big of a deal but it's a slow news day. It also is just more evidence that Trump is a moron, like we needed any more. And that his aides are really terrible too, if they were competent they would have prepped him better and told him to be appropriately somber and respectful.

PT6A posted:

Because the singing seemed normal to me, based on what happens in Canada, and everything else seemed weird. Apparently in the US, as has now been made clear, it's disrespectful to sing along with the anthem in that situation, in addition to being disrespectful to bob around like a bored toddler (which would be the same anywhere). It's really not as obvious as everyone here seems to think.

It's actually super obvious if you spend three seconds considering the context, which is on Memorial Day at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in the national cemetery honoring American soldiers killed in wars.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 30, 2017

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

empty whippet box posted:

They shouldn't even let him pretend to respect soldiers after he said that poo poo about preferring ones who didn't get captured. That should have disqualified him from ever being allowed to speak in front of troops ever again but oh well, goldfish memories etc etc

also when he talked poo poo about the gold star Khan family

PT6A posted:

No, it's not. If you look up Remembrance Day observances in Canada, which are essentially the exact same thing, you will see the crowd singing along with the anthem -- I checked, just to make sure I wasn't going crazy. You will not see them tapping their chests with the beat, or swaying around doing the pee-pee dance, because that's disrespectful and oafish, but the act of singing the anthem is not considered disrespectful. Or do you think that we simply don't afford the same level of honour to our fallen soldiers that America does?

yeah that's totally the point I was trying to make, you got me

this has nothing to do with the specifics of singing vs. not singing the anthem in the US vs Canada, I'm not sure what your actual argument is

it's very simple, is anyone else singing the anthem in that clip? no

edit: and in particular, if you're the loving POTUS and on camera. Trump is a moron with little self-awareness and certainly not the tact and seriousness the President needs to have. That's been evident during his overseas trip too.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
gently caress off Zuckerberg

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
drunk at 2pm, slurring while reading from his prepared remarks

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
memoralize

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
loving lol he literally called it NEATO

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
polijy

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

scuz posted:

edit:^ fukkin lol

Press briefings are something that I've only recently begun paying attention to outside of the West Wing. Do they always sound like propaganda and so much blown smoke?

Spicer (or Sanders) gets up there and lets loose a long, wet fart about the trivial routine bullshit Trump is doing as propaganda to make it seem like he has a double-digit number of functioning brain cells. Then reporters grill him on the scandals of the week, Spicer yells at them and gets angry, then runs away.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't know how Spicer gets up there (almost, sort of) every day and does this job. It has to be so depressing.

two packs of cinnamon gum and three swigs of whisky

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Sean Spicer: the President's dumbass tweets speak for themselves okay, stop making me try to clarify them. Gawd.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
US - German relationship is "fairly unbelievable!"

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
perpetrating fake news

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
getting spicey, I bet he runs out in 3min or less

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
lol SPICER OUT

too hot to handle

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
This is getting too meta for me. Several reporters asking about rumors of the WH shaking up communication staff or messaging.

Is it true the White House is considering a change in its approach to messaging and communications?

I think the President has made it very clear, and speaks for himself. I can't comment on ongoing negotiations or investigations. You should ask that department. I'll get back to you when the President has made a decision.

POOF

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

It's heartening to know that the press isn't swallowing this poo poo at face value, at least.

In all seriousness, I'm glad they keep doing the Spicer briefings even if they're a zero-content propaganda shitshow. It means they still consider interacting with the news media to be important.

If we switch to Trump giving weekly press briefings (which would be 10x the circus can you even imagine) then we're two steps closer towards actual authoritarianism.

Alter Ego posted:

This is really dumb but since when has Kathy Griffin been part of the "left"?

Hell, I didn't even know she was still alive.

idk but she's a gay icon among other things

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Okay so what am I missing for a Baby Spice drinking game / bingo card?

FREE: Spicer reads (poorly) from prepared remarks about all the trivial bullshit Trump is doing because POTUS is such a good boy.
I think the President's tweets speak for themselves
I think _____________ has made it very clear
Spicer talks over a reporter
Unbelievably qualified (or other flavors of unbelievable)
JOHNATHAN
It's Obama's fault
I can't comment on policy or legislative negotiations and will let you know when POTUS makes a decision
I don't know, you'd have to ask <department>
Now let's have this random rear end in a top hat from a local Kentucky news station ask a question over Skype
Clinton did it too! She's the real Russian stooge!
LEAKS
Obstructionist Democrats
How many times do I have to tell you guys, you ask me every week
*poof* SMOKEBOMB, Spicer abruptly exits when things get too hot
Pakistani or South Korean reporter asks long question no one can understand

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fulchrum posted:

Trump and LBJ, dumbfuck. Brash, bullying, crass, unwilling to change his decorum, prefers beating people into submission than working with them.

LBJ had more than three functioning brain cells and a huge dick.

e: and was also very good at making ~deals~

something at which Trump is hilariously bad politically

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 31, 2017

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fulchrum posted:

Or do you think the penis and brain, and dealmaking, are both controlled by the id?

yes

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

I don't think they could have found a better person to use as a "see! I'm not racist!" token.

they also have Ben Carson but he's been too busy reading scripture, dozing in the corner, and getting stuck in elevators to commit treason colluding with Russia

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I should note that Carson is also doing terrible things as HUD secretary, it's not okay to just joke about sleepy Ben and not recognize the harm he's doing.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
the only thing Trump and LBJ share is machismo, and even in that case they differ because LBJ was actually successful in physical intimidation and whipping his dick out

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mezzanine posted:

Because I'm bored (sorry, tweaked your ideas a bit)

http://mfbc.us/m/p3xi2

Maybe a full 5x5 would be better...

Haha that's great, I was actually loving around with that exact website earlier and gave up because I stalled at 4x4 just like you did.

Spicer is really predictable. He stumbles through written remarks about all the mundane bullshit Trump is doing, then does nothing but deflect and yell at reporters during Q&A. He is pure propaganda.

I am somewhat solaced by the fact they keep doing these press conferences. They've tried to scale them back with Spicer doing off-camera (audio only) sessions but that doesn't seem to have played well for them. They need to talk to the media, even if it's Spicer or Sanders getting up there and saying nothing for half an hour.

When they entirely stop doing press conferences that's when you should get super extra worried we're devolving into authoritarian rule.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mezzanine posted:

Here, this is a little better

http://mfbc.us/m/y7aqh

very nice, belongs in OP at this point imo

if you're not watching Baby Spice how can you possibly live such a boring life? it's prime entertainment, folks

(it's poo poo)

edit: also if you are feeling masochistic, the Baby Spice schedule and links to streams are always posted on the WH live events website - https://www.whitehouse.gov/live

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 31, 2017

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fulchrum posted:

Trump being a pathetic excuse for a human being doesn't change that both have the same goddamn alpha male id.

LBJ stuffed ballot boxes unashamedly. He whipped out his dick and yelled at journalists who questioned him on Vietnam. He chased women without caring they were married and made other heads of state watch him on the toilet. He would not have been dumb enough to get in bed with the loving Russians, but if he had a way to cheat shamelessly to steal the election, he would. If he was pissed off at Italy, he'd give them the finger on camera and not give a poo poo.

Trump is absolutely LBJ if LBJ were completely loving brainless and a modern Republican. Id doesn't affect either of those things.

would you feel comfortable calling Trump "daddy"

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
reminder that LBJ would play a prank with his amphibious car, driving down a hill into the lake and telling passengers the brakes had failed

http://www.businessinsider.com/lyndon-johnson-played-terrifying-prank-with-his-amphicar-2014-8

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
aww looks like no Baby Spice Time today

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

What is covfefe

indeed

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
anyone have a working link to the Spicer gaggle, the one last page just died and quick googling isn't helping

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Michael Scott posted:

Any Spicer briefing today?

apparently an audio-only press gaggle but I don't have a link to a live stream

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Piell posted:

PBS link, was having technical difficulties
Golden State Times, plays music while you wait

The PBS stream says it starts in 12 minutes but don't take that for certain.

awesome, thanks!

Office Pig posted:

Is there any way to interpret these gaggles as anything but a face-saving measure for Spicer on those days he's feeling particularly flustered?

I suspect part of it is that if there's no video, Donnie won't see it and get mad at Spicer over his responses.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Wasn't Michael Cohen the lawyer who was traveling to Europe and supposedly met with Russians?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Reminder that one of the primary geopolitical goals of the postwar USSR was to break up the American-German alliance.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

repeating posted:

Time for some juicy "clean coal" talk. Ugh.

ironically, "clean" coal is worse for global warming than if you burnt it in the dirtiest way possible

yeah you get acid rain and terrible air quality but it also blocks sunlight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Yes. We have elected a giant loving child to be POTUS of the world's greatest super power. There hasn't been a leader this incompetent of a nation this powerful since...I don't know, maybe Kaiser Wilhelm the II? The modern world simply has no mechanism to deal with a man like Trump with the power he has.

much like Wilhelm, Trump's entire pathology is from compensating for tiny hands

• Locked thread