Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Fitzy Fitz posted:

OP needs more orb photoshops.

Also put https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/ in OP too please thanks.

:agreed:

It is very handy when the Trump news is coming fast & furious and nobody knows WTF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The whole point of submarine warfare is avoiding detection, so of course blabbing where they are is the first thing Trump does.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

It's Justin Trudeeauxe and Jesus Macaroni, king of the franks.

The world needs a French-themed hot dog chain called King of the Franks. :france:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Caros posted:

Please don't being confederate revisionism into this thread.

Confederate states left by a convention, legislature or in some cases flat out referendum. While there were absolutely those who voted against the war, the 'cause' was absolutely seen as something for the common man.

On average, 31% of all southern families owned slaves, and for a majority of those who didn't the reason wasn't moral, it was economic.

The civil war wasn't a bunch of dupes being sent off to fight rich people's war, it was a culture of racism and chattel slavery trying to defend itself, and that extended down to the common voter. Excusing it or trying to pretend that slavery was somehow wasn't buried in the very concept of the south does those who died a disservice.

Agreed. Herrenvolk democracy was popular across all income levels and demographics.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Ekster posted:

I thought that was more of a neo-fascist Putin thing.

Nah, it dates back to the Soviets invading their Warsaw Pact "allies" whenever they tried to reform anything.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

eyebeem posted:

No, it's not.

Majority of voters chose Clinton. By millions in fact.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

eyebeem posted:

I'm amazed at how many of you assume that all Americans vote. Significantly more than 50% of the adult population either voted for Trump or did not vote against him.

I can't believe I have to explain this.

An even bigger majority either voted for Clinton or did not vote against her.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Paracaidas posted:

* does not apply to those who had their voting rights stripped and suppressed, who are a tiny sliver of the 41ish% of the eligible population who didn't vote

What is this assumption based on?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

If US presidential elections were democratic then Trump loses. But they aren't so he won. We know the popular vote so this is a fact, not an opinion.

Since they're not democratic, blaming the general population for the outcome seems dumb as gently caress.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

If the US was a democracy, then the presidency and the House of Representatives would both be controlled by the Democratic Party since they had the most votes cast for them. Thanks to the EC, gerrymandering and voter suppression it's not, though.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

For gently caress sake, let's not re-fight the loving primary again.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

It's an extremely frustrating argument because it has the effect of papering over the hundred ways our democracy is just fundamentally broken at this point.

This is the fundamental problem. Trump winning is just a symptom.

A symptom that might kill us all, but still. In a democracy he loses even when you accept how dumb much of the electorate is.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

:ussr:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

So we all agree that Assange was really just a traitor and a rapist all along right?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Andrast posted:

It is in fact both the voters' and the democrats' fault. The democrats should have been less poo poo and the voters should have voted against the horrible orange idiot.

Most of the voters did!

Amd the % turnout was between 2008 and 2012 levels, so it wasn't a crazy outlier.

What's crazy is how many Obama voters flipped to Trump, during a time when Obama had high approval ratings no less. Those people are some super stupid motherfuckers.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Andrast posted:

If the french can vote for a lovely right-winger over a fascist, why can't americans?

That's... what they actually did? Clinton won the popular vote, which in a real democracy is what decides these things. Unfortunately, the US isn't a democracy, it's a legal fudge cooked up by late 18th century alcoholics.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

ShredsYouSay posted:

Could it just be red light treatment for trumps jetlag?

E: apparently its a "rejuvenation" treatment

I'm picturing the dream mask from Die Another Day.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Wark Say posted:

I'm surprised that Trump being disrespectful wrt fallen soldiers is not a bigger deal, taking into account how gung-ho some republicans can be about the military.

Pro tip: They're completely insincere about their patriotism.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

botany posted:

Then I suggest actually posting something funny instead of your throw-away saturday night open mic stand up routines

Your having a nervous breakdown because we haven't assassinated Trump yet was the height of comedy for sure.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Radish posted:

I know everyone here knows it but it's really impressive how much that snowflake poo poo is projection like everything else.

It's like how every time someone unironically uses "alpha male" in a conversation, you can guarantee that person is a simpering coward. :ms:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Everyone who thinks greenhouse gases are fake should be sent to live on Venus.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

EwokEntourage posted:

This is such a dumb opinion piece. It's basically "republicans are right about everything and have the best ideas but somehow we managed to devolve into a racist fear mongering party but that totally isn't our fault".

Spend 30+ years complaining about made up welfare queens and surprise you're a party of racists

Pretty much.

The Republican Party establishment wanted the racist Democrats that ran away after the Civil Rights Act, etc., to vote for them. So they started hinting at racism and pursuing policies that were based on race hate but didn't openly say THIS IS JIM CROW AGAIN LOL. The main goal was the pursuit of policies that helped the super rich, but it turned out it was easy to get racists to vote against their own economic interests if you gave them racist policy goodies with a nudge-nudge, wink-wink "BUT I NEVER SAID ANYTHING BAD ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE, YOU'RE THE REAL RACIST" approach.

The elephant in the room was that at some point somebody could openly promise what was only being hinted at, and get all those votes instead. People will always go for the guy that openly offers what they want instead of only hinting at it obliquely.

That somebody turned out to be Trump.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Radish posted:

The entire Republican party licking Trump's taint and trying to explain how everything he's doing is in fact super smart and great should retroactively make everyone think back and realize maybe the stuff they said was good before was also in fact bad. Not that Trump is some kind of crazy outlier that somehow the party agrees with every time he does something stupid.

The party establishment only dislikes Trump insofar as he's so loving stupid that it derails their efforts towards deregulation, corporate welfare, and tax cuts for the rich. They are either Actually Racist, or happy to hint at it for votes, which is a distinction without a difference really. He's an outlier insofar as he's too open about chasing race hate for votes for their tastes, and too dumb to put on a respectable face on loving everyone over.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

About the only thing Trump can do to turn congressional republicans against him is to try to usurp the power of the Congress itself, because that's their own power and prestige at stake.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

Karen Handel isn't Trump, Jon Ossoff isn't Hillary Clinton, and this is one district in Georgia, not a voting population of 300 million. Seriously?

General distrust of polling is pretty understandable at this point though.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

Well, I only mention that because his friend, that guy who keeps popping up on cable TV, said that Comey was obsessive about documenting his encounters with Trump, and that he would have scads of notes ready to go if needed.

I hope the guy wasn't lying.

I hope to see my friend again and shake his hand.

I hope the Pacific is as blue as it is in my dreams.

I hope.

Hope is a mistake, etc., etc.

HOWEVER, the thing about Comey isn't just that he took notes on Trump. It's that he made those notes into official memos that are now part of the public record. Supposedly every time he had a hosed up encounter with Trump, he'd write an official memo and have it field in the FBI's records.

IIRC the FBI hasn't released them to anybody so as to not to interfere with the special prosecutor.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Alternatively, the vito. It will kill you. I partially blame it for the slow destruction of my gallbladder, but it is cheap and delicious.

Good hot peppers too.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Hellblazer187 posted:

The problem with this discussion is that Ginos is only a thing in NH, MA, and CT, so most people reading this won't know what we're talking about. You already saw two posters thinking it was just a cutesy name you were giving to Papa Johns (which is, actually, trash). But you do me a big favor by saying your favorite pizza is Costco. Now anyone reading can judge the relative merits of our taste by comparison to Costco.

Costco is CONVENIENT. If you're there because you need to buy 60 lbs of dog food and you want to bring a pizza home without making a separate stop? OK, go ahead. I won't judge. But Costco as a destination for Pizza is simply insane.

Papa Ginos is the greasiest pizza in the world, which also makes it the best pizza in the world. Yes it's thin. When did thin become bad? It flops and drips and makes the world a better place. While on the subject of New England franchises, D'angelos has the best cheese steak outside of Philly. (Note that I don't give an "outside of Manhattan" qualifier for Ginos since it is actually just the best). IIRC D'angelos and Ginos are the same company or at least are usually right next to each other in strip malls so I'm sure you've "been conned" into having excellent sandwiches as well.

Truth. :911:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The only hope concerning right wing voters is they get depressed and stay home. Or die of natural causes and Republican policies. You don't fix the problem of 30-40% of the voters being human garbage. They just are.

You can flip the millions of pure idiots who voted Obama in 2008 or 2012 but chose Trump in 2016. And you can turn out everyone else.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Piell posted:

This has to be a joke, Trump isn't literally a drooling incompetent

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

This feels like the openly racist gerrymandering NC did that got struck down, where the court basically says, "We'll go along with *almost* anything you want as long as you don't make it THAT obvious that it's racism, you idiots." Basically giving the people they ruled against the blueprint for writing a law that won't get struck down and does 99% of what they wanted anyway.

Trump will be too stupid to take the hint if they do that and will just flip out.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Morning Joe, it seems.

When did Morning Joe go from shamelessly vile Trump boosters to hating the poo poo out of him? I accidentally watched some Morning Joe and he had "gently caress Trump" on full blast the whole time.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Unzip and Attack posted:

The moment it became economically advantageous for them.

Makes sense. Guess there was no point in being the token MSNBC Republicans when Trump's approval rating is lower than fire ants and black mold.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

This basically describes the media as a whole. Individual journalists can be and are cool, but the overall trend of "gently caress Trump" right now is entirely because they can get away with it and because it gets eyeballs. We're extremely, uh, "fortunate" that Trump can't go a whole day without loving up, because it's obvious that a ton of media outlets are desperate to get back to something approaching normalcy.

Yeah, the circumstances are making the media do their job because it's where the ratings/sales/demand are. Trump is massively hated by a majority of Americans, and virtually everyone else in the world. They're doing the right things for stupid reasons, but Trump looks to be totally incapable of just acting normal long enough for everyone to get bored and wander off.

Basically if the public has a short attention span in general, Trump's fuckup cycle is even faster than that. He can't even just do nothing long enough for the public (and by extension, the media) to get bored and wander off.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Oh I missed this yesterday but I just want to say "gently caress PEYTON MANNING. You lowlife gently caress. Kids look up to you and you are lending your brand to an racist criminal madman. gently caress you."

I mean, he's a confirmed sex offender who tried to ruin the life of the woman he sexually assaulted in college, and "allegedly" used his wife as an HGH mule. He's Trump's perfect golf buddy.

http://deadspin.com/how-tennessee-s-sexual-harassment-allegations-caught-up-1759118435
http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/12/27/al-jazeera-investigates-secret-world-of-sports-doping.html

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I don't give a gently caress about the GOP base or Trump's base or whatever the gently caress. 35% of the country are basically incurable white power fascists, and that sucks, but they don't decide anything by themselves.

poo poo that DOES matter, in no particular order:

-Idiots who flipped from voting Obama in 2008 or 2012 to Trump in 2016
-Idiots who didn't vote at all after previously voting Obama in 2008 or 2012
-Democratic turnout in general, especially in mid-terms when it's often just poo poo compared to Republicans
-Voter suppression
-The Democrats running non-garbage candidates

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I have to wonder if Trump is literally the most stupid elected Head of State ever. Emphasis on elected, obviously there were tons of inbred Monarchs.

I mean, Fascism 101 is using the state's security & intelligence apparatus against dissidents, but instead Trump has made the state's security & intelligence apparatus a dissident, which is using itself against him.

:master:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Night10194 posted:

Didn't Nixon also torpedo peace talks?

Yeah, but secretly. Nixon was actually devious, Trump is just dumb as all gently caress.

Put Nixon in Trump's shoes and he has 60% approval ratings right now, and the FBI and CIA secretly cracking down on everyone to the left of himself instead of... well, himself, basically.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The moral of the story is to leak your Trump secrets to a real news outlet and not a bucket of fuckheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The problem Trump has is that all the police state apparatus in the US are selling him out TO the police instead of humoring his Mussolini cosplay.

Trump is so much stupider than even the huge Trump haters like me imagined. The idiot fucks up in huge public ways in like 50% of the time it takes the public to lose interest in the last bad Trump thing they read.

Dude is such a dumb rear end in a top hat that a shady intelligence agency that literally has used Hydra's logo looked at him and went LOLNOPE.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread