Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
loving called it. Trump got his photo ops and his chance to say that he made Good Deals to bring back American Jobs. Now that that's over all the companies are going right back to laying off their workers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I realize he's spinning hard enough to provide energy to the entire globe here, but is there anything anywhere in this report that says premiums will go down? At least saying that it lowers the deficit is technically true.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

evilweasel posted:

lol

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/867500914332053505

paul ryan has to come hat in hand to nancy pelosi and beg her for the votes to prevent economic meltdown

again
Once again we find ourselves thanking the HFC for being as crazy as they are.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

androo posted:

FYI candidate Zuckerberg isn't gonna be a thing because he's wildly uncharismatic and billions of dollars doesn't seem to be helping with that. Stop talking about candidate Zuck like that poo poo is happening.

Seriously I watched a random 30 seconds of that speech and he's hilariously awkward. Jesse Eisenberg Zuck could maybe pull it off, but real-life Zuck is like a pale thumb with wet eyes that looks constantly scared.
Yeah, this. People are harping on about Zuck because "if Trump can win, why can't he?" but the only thing they have in common is that they both have lots of money. Trump has been a figure in American culture for 30 years, and everyone knew who he was and had a basic idea of how they felt about him before 2016. Literally the only thing 95% of Americans know about Zuckerberg is "oh yeah, the Facebook guy, I think?" He has no charisma, no public persona, and a bare minimum of name/face recognition. The second coming of Trump he ain't.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Eh, it's no Bqhatevwr.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

Oh boy, does it never.
I'm convinced that one of these days we're going to find out that Trump and his team knew about an upcoming terror attack against a NATO ally, could have shared information to stop it, and then didn't because Trump didn't like the way their leader shook his hand or some poo poo.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Hating gamers because there are some lovely people who play games is pretty scummy.

I play games and have no knowledge of this subculture of lovely people.
I don't generally have a problem with your posts but this here is some pretty heavy "Not all gamers" poo poo. Gaming in general has a huge problem of lovely people being vile to anyone who isn't a white straight male. Pointing this truth out is not an attack on you personally, and acting like it is obfuscates the actual problem.

This isn't just a gaming thing either. Anytime someone responds to "group X has a problem" with "but I'm a member of group X and I don't have that problem", they are actively moving the discussion away from trying to solve the problem.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Elotana posted:

Their final national poll was Clinton +2 :confused:
Rasmussen's polls always ~mysteriously~ start moving towards the consensus of other polls in the week or so before an election. At any other time they're in the tank for the Rs.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Speaking of aviation poo poo, whatever happened to that proposed ban on laptops for all flights to and from Europe? Did that ever become an official thing?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

pumpinglemma posted:

If you haven't played Factorio, you really need to. Also Zachtronics' puzzle games - Spacechem, Infinifactory, TIS-100 and Shenzhen I/O.
What this guy said, Factorio is loving crack if you like designing efficient systems. There's always another bottleneck or resource shortage that you need to fix, and you'll tell yourself that you'll save and quit after you just finish this one little thing but then there's two more things that'll just take two minutes to do and whoops it's 4am.

And Zachtronics is arguably the best puzzle-game studio of all time.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

Not surprising, with the way he fixates on perceived slights and such.
It really makes me wonder if there is anyone, anywhere who has worked with Trump in some capacity and not found themselves a target of Trump's grudge.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Mulva posted:

Inexplicably, Flynn.
Does it count if Trump stays loyal to him only because doing otherwise means having to admit he was wrong? Maybe that's the secret to stay in Trump's good graces.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Spacebump posted:

Trump's memory must be terrible.
The dude literally forgets what he was saying in the middle of his own sentences. How on earth is there any uncertainty about this?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

I was commuting when the story broke and I'm having some trouble sifting through it now. Is what's coming out good, bad, or neutral for Trump?
It's basically a more detailed version of stuff Comey has already said. So neutral I'd say.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Retro42 posted:

If Trump being 45 leads to Sessions losing his seat AND getting fired from AG in under 4 months maybe this isn't the WORST timeline.
When is Sessions' old seat up again? If it's in 2018 the dude could probably run for it again and win it back easily.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

I'm sure Donnie remembers all the appreciative congrats he received.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

mark my words, thats gonna be the reason he gets sacked. it will show up on fox and trump will scream its rigged and that muller was rigged and fire him.
I don't think he's going to get fired but they're definitely already setting up the narrative of "Biased investigation! Phony evidence! A real prosecutor would have found no wrongdoing!" for when the investigation inevitably reports that Trump's team was neck-deep in Russian poo poo.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Charliegrs posted:

I love how this narrative of the "ultra violent left" is being pushed so hard now by shitbags like Hannity.

Like how do you simultaneously say "the left" is trying to take your guns and also is going to shoot you for be a patriotic conservative?
Obviously the reason the left wants to take your guns is so that they can keep all of theirs and use them against you :pseudo:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Remind me, if they pass this turd the House still needs to consider and pass it, correct?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Wasn't there some study awhile back that found out that "OH GOD IT'S OVER WE ALREADY LOST" fundraising emails are actually more effective than enthusiastic positive emails, precisely because they make people mad?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

So once the Senate AHCA officially comes out, what's the process for Republicans attempting to pass it? Is it just that they want for the CBO score and then vote? I seem to recall an earlier article saying they were planning to amend a bill to replace the entire text or some such thing.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

BonoMan posted:

Mississippi got it's religious freedom law upheld. God-loving-damnit.

https://mississippitoday.org/2017/06/22/5th-circuit-dismisses-case-against-house-bill-1523/
For the record the case was dismissed on standing grounds, not because the court necessarily thought the law was constitutional. So this is still lovely as hell, but it's not over.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Isn't this bill supposed to be even worse than the House's AHCA? Are the worse parts outside the headline number of insured people?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/879456770271440896

Heller also is unlikely to vote on the motion to proceed. That motion may not pass if any of the others who haven't committed to voting to let this come to the floor (like Johnson) vote to block it.
So what happens if the motion to proceed fails? Does debate just continue on the bill until a motion passes?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

evilweasel posted:

One other thing jumped out at me from the original article that started this: that California voted down a drug price control referendum following a sustained campaign against it. If I were a Democrat in the legislature that would scare the poo poo out of me contemplating voting for single payer and suggest to me that voters wouldn't actually back me once republicans started ranting about death panels or whatever with a big bankroll to fund the ads.
That mention is misleading as hell because prop 61, the drug price control referendum you mentioned, had massive issues in its wording that probably would have hosed California instead of doing anything to change drug prices. The core of the bill was a provision that CA public health agencies would be forced to buy drugs from pharmaceutical companies at the same price that the VA pays for them. Note the wording on that. It's not that the pharma companies would have to sell their drugs at that price, it's that CA public health agencies have to buy drugs at that price. If the pharma companies say "tough poo poo, that price is too low, we're not selling"? There'd be nothing the state could do about it. It actively harmed the state's ability to negotiate prices.

I will vote for virtually anything that fucks over pharma companies and even I had to vote against that pile of poo poo. So I wouldn't read too much into it.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 27, 2017

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Who on earth thought it would be a good idea to make this meeting open to the press? I don't recall the similar meeting with the Reps having any cameras.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Lote posted:

Guaranteed that the NASA Press person was bored today.
I mean, what the hell else does he have to do these days?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Meatball posted:

If Trump goes down, the Republican party will still exist, controlling all three branches of the government, stopping that left swing from actually impacting anything.

Unless the Mueller investigation turns out that pretty much the entire GOP is Russian money and by and large go to jail, I'm not sure how this will all play out over the long term that ends well.
I have to wonder what will happen if Trump dies or is removed from office somehow. It really feels like the people who voted Trump into office like Trump specifically and have far less enthusiasm for the GOP as a party or for any of its other members. Not to say that President Pence wouldn't be able to get away with some heinous poo poo, but I doubt he would command anywhere near the appreciation and GOTV power Trump gets from his voters in 2018 or 2020. Most voters barely even know who he is.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

mik posted:

I feel like there's sort of a Spartacus thing going on with all these states defying Trump on the voter information now that the defiance-ball is rolling. It's the same as the healthcare bill, everyone waits for the point where they can say "oh yeah well I never liked that anyway!"
Honestly I expect this to eventually happen to Trump himself.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

evilweasel posted:

If they go through the end of the year without getting tax reform or gutting obamacare done and 2018 starts looking bad, then things might start mattering because they'll start realizing how little they got out of the bargain and the cost is coming due.
Is it really Trump's fault that a significant portion of Republican Congresspeople and Senators are loving insane and won't agree to anything? I'm not sure how a different Republican president would really change the Congressional calculus.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Vegetable posted:

Why would you ever not want dirt on your political opponent

I mean DJT and his son are idiots but there isn't much legal standing to call this illegal so whats the deal
In and of itself it's not a problem, but it raises a few eyebrows when you've spent the last three months assuring everyone that you never met with Russians for campaign purposes ever ever ever.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Glazier posted:

I'd say every day they get to delay actually increases it chances of being passed, as people start to relax.
If it just sat there, sure, but every time they delay the bill to redo it the CBO has to score it again, which means the entire country gets another reminder headline of "22M SET TO LOSE INSURANCE UNDER REPUBLICAN HEALTHCARE PLAN."

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

This is from hours ago, but the thing that always gets me about this poo poo is that Donnie is literally in charge of the department that would be looking into anything Hillary did. Like... the guy who heads the DOJ answers to you. If you really truly believe that Hillary should be prosecuted, why don't you direct your own loving DOJ to investigate her?

yes I know it's so he can keep up the whataboutism :ssh:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Nah, if it was a DCCC e-mail, it would say "As your daily reminder, it is a SIGNIFICANT possibility the senate DESTROYS healthcare for ALL this week, AND IT'S ALL YOUR loving FAULT!"
Let's be real, a DCCC e-mail would say "Healthcare is ALREADY GONE. IT'S OVER, WE LOST."

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

So when exactly does McConnell have to say what "the bill" actually is? Presumably in order to do that 20 hours of debating, the senators have to know what it is they're actually debating.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

How does one show "loyalty" to someone before they even have any real contact? :thunk:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It truly amazes me how people can pass the age of 25 without damaging something that would require insurance.

What kind of bubble-boy life do these people lead
The kind where they didn't have to think about insurance because their parents' paid for it when they broke their leg as a kid or whatever, and obviously all future injuries will be just as easy to deal with.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

is this supposed to be some kind of burn on trump's critics, because it reads the other way to me
If you haven't stuck your head in the politoons thread recently, Dillbro here has been spending the entirety of Trump's presidency talking about how Trump is a "Master Persuader" who can convince anyone to do anything through his genius choice of words. This is yet another Master Persuasion Move(tm) by Trump where he has clearly secured victory in the public sphere by deliberately Persuading the left to compare him to Hitler.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

evilweasel posted:

also remember that senators are no longer scared of trump because he has the attention span of a child and is busy self-destructing

they don't want their base to think they betrayed him, but he has very little leverage over any of them
Were they ever scared of him? It's not like he can fire them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

evilweasel posted:

oh:

https://twitter.com/Alexruoff/status/890628695915773952

come on parliamentarian, it's time to end this
What exactly is Graham-Cassidy and is it likely to be reconciliation-compliant?

• Locked thread