Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

NikkolasKing posted:

Didn't everyone in the media help to "create" Trump? I wasn't paying attention to politics during the early days of the Trump campaign but from what I've pieced together, he was a sort of joke that everyone gave lots of airtime to for ratings or whatnot. I know some people like Michael Moore noted that the mass media helped normalize Trump before they, too late, turned on him.

I think people are also forgetting how comforting Trump was in the primary days, when there was a very real possibility of Ted Cruz becoming the nominee, among other things. Before we got to see how totally deranged he is, he seemed like a comparatively reasonable option when you put him next to the guy who argued in a court of law that people don't have the guaranteed right to masturbate.

The Trump movement only became scary to me when, not only had he become the nominee, but he actually beat Hillary Clinton, an intelligent and accomplished woman who would've been a fantastic president. Everything in the R primary makes perfect sense, it's the general election where the country just went off the loving rails entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I'm curious where Europe goes from here. The USA is clearly unreliable as a partner, as Trump and a good majority of the GOP would rather slobber the dicks of such fantastic nations like the KSA and Russia.

In a post Brexit-Trump world, what does Europe do? The USA can't be relied upon as our political leadership is a loving joke. Russia is an existential threat again. AND you can expect more refugees as Africa/Middle-East continue to suffer from the effects of climate change, terrorism, and years of lovely leadership.

The good news is, the European voting system isn't as moronic as the USA's, so Greet Wilder's and Le Pen didn't win and it looks like Merkel will continue on in Germany. Does Europe reform the EU? Do they begin to re-do NATO as less of a North American alliance and a more mainlaind Euro-Centric one? The next decade will be interesting as the political alliances we have grown used to since the Cold War era fall apart and reform.

There was an article in Macleans that read like some lunatic's fever dream, where Scotland would separate from the UK after Brexit, then join Canada, and the resulting country would then join the EU. It seemed pretty deranged at the time, but maybe just because everything is so bizarre now, it seems like something that could actually happen and might not be a terrible idea.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I like that he's upset with Germany now over some nonsense so he seems to have forgotten to be pissed off at Canada over whatever nonsense he was upset about a few weeks ago.

Christ he's a loving idiot.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Best/worst Trump supporter quote?

I think that complaint may come from an alternate universe where Abe Simpson is a real person instead of a cartoon character.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

The glory days of US Steel being one of the largest companies in the world. When Pittsburgh's steel mills still ran at full speed and the city's air and landscape made Beijing and Shanghai's look like the beautiful mountains of Montana that overlook the east coast of the US.

Yeah, but it's back when their penis still worked, long before the ravages of high blood pressure and the 'beetus, so they're quite attached to their memory of that time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Liu posted:

the best part of those trump supporter quotes is how loving old they all are.

And beyond that, they seem to have no awareness that history moves forward. Like, gently caress, how do they think their grandparents felt about living through the change from horse-drawn carriages, to cars, to man being able to loving fly? No, they're uniquely hard-done-by and the first generation that's ever had to deal with rapid cultural changes :rolleyes:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

business hammocks posted:

Hehas diabetes, right? There's no way he doesn't have diabetes.

The more pressing issue is that he's pretty clearly going senile, in addition to being physically unwell.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Starmaker posted:

Is this what those egg-headed academics call a compaction cycle?

If by academics you mean Prester Jane, then yes, I believe so.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Please just stop. Your country is full of utter loving morons, who elected an utter loving moron for president. You can quibble about the exact numbers, but in the end, America made its choice, and it chose a man in its own image: an intellectually incurious, bigoted, fat sack of poo poo. All the protests and hand-waving in the world can't change that, until we (the rest of the world) see Trump dragged out of the white house in handcuffs like he deserves.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

stone cold posted:

aren't you an american

and an expat

:allears:

No, I'm a Canadian.

Mahoning posted:

(Ignores the nationalism, isolationism, and bigotry taking over around the world)

Not true. We thought that was happening, looking at Trump and Brexit, but then Netherlands, France, Austria, etc. reminded us that sane people can, in fact, still win elections in countries where the electorate isn't terminally dense.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Meme Emulator posted:

Its cool how you are equating action with inaction in this post.

A wise Canadian once said, "if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Apoplexy posted:

I know you're being sarcastic, but there's actually a reason a lot of people didn't vote: Electoral College. My state was going for Hillary no matter what. My one vote would've been thrown in the shitheap along with 3 million others had I bothered. I imagine I wasn't alone in that.

This is something of a weak argument, because people probably did the exact same thing on the other side in red states.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

stone cold posted:

old whites live to vote

like i live in the people's republic of california and i voted, so the whole vote doesn't matter thing doesn't make sense to me

gently caress you if you don't vote and are able to and not being suppressed

Absolutely this. I've voted in all but one election I've been eligible to vote in. It's not a big ask that you participate in democracy in literally the smallest, easiest way possible, if you can.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I live in a conservative city in a conservative province. There was no hope to elect liberal politicians for... decades at least. And then enough people loving got out and voted, and the Conservative party got loving turfed out of provincial government, and we sent a Liberal MP to the federal legislature. Good loving thing the people around here weren't a bunch of whiners who "felt powerless" because things weren't going their way. "Sure things" are only sure when people give up trying to make a change.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

No one's blaming the people who are systematically disenfranchised for not voting, just the people who could and chose not to.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Twibbit posted:

People are getting far more tired of dealing with the worse of two evils

Yeah, this whole "I don't want to vote for the lesser of two evils!" whine is getting mighty old. If you have a choice, you always pick the lesser of two evils because it's less loving evil.

Do you think that everyone who voted for Macron in France was thrilled with him? Of course not, but they recognized that they didn't have a choice between him and perfection, they only had the choice they were presented: him or Le Pen. And, thankfully, they made the choice that apparently a lot of Americans are too childish and petulant to entertain, held their nose, and voted for the least bad option.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Except you, literally every single loving chance you get.

I'm trying not to, but I admit I may have some blind spots.

There's obviously a huge movement to keep people from voting, both through legislative means like insane voter ID requirements and disenfranchising felons, and just by making it difficult to actually vote by restricting early voting, not setting up enough polling places, etc. Given the degree to which that is dangerous to any functioning democracy, the amount of effort that people are putting into fighting it, and the amount of effort (and lives) people put into guaranteeing the right to vote for everyone, it just frustrates me to see people who could easily vote, choose not to simply because they don't believe their vote will make a difference. That being said, I admit I was wrong to assume that someone who didn't vote didn't have a good reason why they didn't vote.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Buca di Bepis posted:

And votes from democrats are what keeps it that way

Anyone arguing that votes in states with a dominant party don't matter is insanely loving stupid

Yeah. If you are able to do so without undue hardship, always go vote -- even if you spoil the ballot after deciding you can't vote for any of the candidates. Encourage friends, family and even strangers to vote. Help people to be able to vote, if you can. Work to create a culture where voting becomes a habit rather than a choice, and every citizen's vote is treated as "in play."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Do Americans typically not sing the lyrics to their national anthem when it's playing? I mean, it's odd that he's the only one doing it, but other than that it doesn't seem strange.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

So the problem is with Trump grinning and bobbing and swaying, and tapping along with the beat on his chest, right? Not singing the words?

This may surprise some people, but anthem etiquette differs between countries so this stuff isn't obvious to non-Americans.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

It could be the custom of solemnity and respect for the dead, in particular respect for people killed in wars, which basically all humans ever understand and participate in.

Or "American anthem etiquette." Yes, that might be it too.

This may surprise and amaze you, but: Canadians typically sing the Canadian national anthem as a crowd at Remembrance Day observances! Not every country has the same traditions and customs!

His demeanour does seem wildly inappropriate, but it would be so whether he was singing along or not, so I didn't understand why people were attacking the singing. Take a fuckin' chill pill.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rebel Blob posted:

I've always seen it positively regarded on D&D, and hell, it looked sharp.

That's a very nice suit.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Chilichimp posted:

lol, practicing catholics, amirite?

No, I think the point was that if you're singing nationalistic songs/hymns and celebrating war during mass, then maybe you don't "get" Catholicism.

Lots of American Catholics are pretty weird. Look at people like Pence and Santorum -- they failed to understand Jesus' message regarding the poor fairly completely.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

for someone who, like a dozen pages ago, seemed so fervently sure of his opinions on the US, you don't seem to know a loving thing about it and its customs beyond what you might see on nightly news.

Well, yeah, my point yesterday is that it's frustrating watching as an outsider as your president, who affects the fate of pretty much everyone in the world on some level, buffoons around, and America seems like it wants to evade responsibility for picking him. Yes, I know a lot of people disagree with Trump, and he certainly doesn't represent the opinions of all Americans, and it's very unfair to those who worked and continue to work against him, but it was just an expression of the frustration that foreigners feel while looking at America right now. The rest of the world has to put up with his nonsense now, with extremely little we can do about it, and a bunch of people are going #NotAllAmericans about it.

Some days, I remind myself that most Americans disagree with Trump, and he lost the popular vote, and a bunch of people are working against him, and it fills me with hope for the future and for the true spirit of America to re-emerge. Other days, particularly if I'm in a bad mood, I see this shaved ape running amok and it makes me want to yell "YOU loving IDIOTS! YOU DID THIS, ALL OF YOU, TAKE RESPONSIBILITY!" Yesterday was one of those days, sorry if it hurt your feelings.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Kekekela posted:

Could you explain to me how you hold these two ideas in your head at the same time?

Because the singing seemed normal to me, based on what happens in Canada, and everything else seemed weird. Apparently in the US, as has now been made clear, it's disrespectful to sing along with the anthem in that situation, in addition to being disrespectful to bob around like a bored toddler (which would be the same anywhere). It's really not as obvious as everyone here seems to think.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

You really shouldn't be all "sorry I hurt your feelings" or equate an active part of the country doing what they can to stop a coordinated undermining of the foundation of this country to a lovely twitter hashtag. It makes you look like a stupid poo poo.

You're missing the point. The #NotAllMen hashtag happened because a bunch of whiny men were upset that they were being "attacked" when feminists pointed out something like "men do a lot of rapes." And it's true: not all men are rapists -- and some even help feminist causes. But no one wants to hear about that poo poo, because it's less important than the real problem which is: we live in a rape culture, perpetuated largely by men, where most rapes are committed by men. I can't begin to imagine how scary it must be to actually be an American right now, especially if you're a minority, or undocumented, etc. But to those of us outside America, we see the government of your nation, duly elected according to your constitution, loving up the world. The world is becoming less safe on a geopolitical level, there is every chance less progress will be made on combatting climate change, trade is being affected, etc. I have a tremendous amount of respect for the people who are working against that, but sometimes the rest of us just look at the face of your country -- its democratically-elected government -- and we don't want to hear about how you, individually, don't like it either but it's totally not your fault.

And I meant what I said about being sorry about hurting people's feelings. I get how incredibly frustrating it must be to be represented by this destructive imbecile. All I would ask is that you, in return, consider how frustrating it is for me and all non-Americans to see your country and its government behave in this fashion.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Pellisworth posted:

It's actually super obvious if you spend three seconds considering the context, which is on Memorial Day at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in the national cemetery honoring American soldiers killed in wars.

No, it's not. If you look up Remembrance Day observances in Canada, which are essentially the exact same thing, you will see the crowd singing along with the anthem -- I checked, just to make sure I wasn't going crazy. You will not see them tapping their chests with the beat, or swaying around doing the pee-pee dance, because that's disrespectful and oafish, but the act of singing the anthem is not considered disrespectful. Or do you think that we simply don't afford the same level of honour to our fallen soldiers that America does?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Liu posted:

That SUPER PAC sounds like an awful lot of effort on behalf of someone who has claimed they don't want to run for anything.

Why? Solicit donations off of idiots, and if Zuck doesn't run, then funnel the funds to businesses you control for nebulous other "political purposes" and you still win!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

Also irrelevant because minimum wage increases larger than a couple dollars are phased in over a period of years anyway so just do that.

Except I believe Sea-Tac jumped to a $15 wage right away and everyone who predicted economic doom was wrong, again

An immediate increase to $15/hour for large cities would probably be very doable, maybe less so in rural areas but I'm not sure. A phased increase beyond that would also probably work just fine. Jumping the gun and going directly to $20-23/hour across the country might be moving too fast. We don't have empirical data because no one's ever tried it, sure, but that doesn't mean it's something to be done. Let's start with a solid but modest increase to $15, with pegs to inflation and cost-of-living for large cities, and see if we can raise it beyond that down the road, because the consequences for getting it wrong are that we'll never be able to do it again.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Ice Phisherman posted:

What's your problem with him? Legitimately asking as I know nothing more about him than the occasional 15 second spot on tv.

Imagine that Hillary and Bernie were in different parties, and Hillary won, Trump (well, a sane republican) came second, and Bernie came third.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Majorian posted:

The left would have been critical of a centrist president if she didn't move to the left? Shocking.

I didn't say it was shocking, just giving a basic analogy for people who don't follow Canadian politics.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Okay point one is fair play but you realize it's weird specifically because two warring states are shitposting at each other on twitter right?

Realtalk: if Twitter had been around during WW2, Churchill would've been an epic follow :v:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Is Michael Cohen the guy who went all "who said?" endlessly on CNN that one time when they were bringing up Trump's outright, repeated lies?

If so, I dearly would like him to rot in a federal prison.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Americans, could you please stop allowing him to wander 'round without adult supervision? Frankly, this is getting dangerous.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/869503804307275776

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

BarbarianElephant posted:

Silly celebrities should think for 5 seconds about the contents of their "performance art." If you wouldn't like it if someone did it to Obama, don't do it.

This is such a stupid argument. Obama was an intelligent man and a good president, who tried to do the best he could for the country, and Trump is a loving piece of human garbage you wouldn't trust to watch your child. Maybe the standards about how we can treat them should be just a bit different, is what I'm saying.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

Between this and a bunch of 8th graders dunking on Paul Ryan I'm wondering if the GOP really is just a bunch of pubescent boys.

And they're scared of women and have only the vaguest ideas about how the female reproductive system works. Checks out!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

https://twitter.com/GeorgiaDirtRoad/status/869532635957252096

Where the gently caress did they get that number? Source ur quotes billboard

Imagine if you're the sort of deluded moron that takes that sort of thing seriously. I mean, the world must be a really loving frightening place when you're that incredibly stupid -- I can see how you'd vote for the Orange Strongman who's going to make everything better by magic, at that point.

The question is: why are there so many people who are so dangerously stupid?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think the funniest thing is he just let the typo tweet sit there. He didn't tweet anything else, he didn't delete it, he just sharted out a misspelled half-tweet and then hosed off. What's wrong with this guy?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

https://twitter.com/JohnKasich/status/869903774764216321

Kasich is one of those "deeply disturbed" Republicans, right?

At least he was always solidly anti-Trump. He hasn't really done much with that, because he doesn't have a position to be able to do anything beyond make statements and set up for a 2020 run once Trump's gone 100% senile.

He's still a terrible person with terrible policies (aka a Republican) but he obviously, really hates Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

I mean - seeing a picture of a person holding your dad's severed head is kinda messed up. I doubt Obama's girls were happy if they were exposed to images of their dad hung in effigy or whatever.

However, the real story is that Trump immediately jumped to using his son as a shield. Because people are just tools to him.

I imagine Barron or whatever his name is wants to be the one to kill Donald. Imagine being a tween, and watching your fat gently caress father make an rear end of himself and the whole family on a regular basis, and then choose to play golf every goddamn weekend instead of spending any time with you at all.

• Locked thread