Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Orv posted:

I think but am not a 100% sure that the spooky is a point targeted AoE ability that'll go through literally any structure in the game, except maybe the castle in Hue. It's not a thing that shoots dudes out and about on the map, it just kills people in an area the commander targets and will happily wall hack you to do so. It's basically an arty strike with randomized death instead of wave fire.

this is correct as to how it works. it seems after you run out of saving throws you just get shot to death. managed to survive for a bit once as 'bullets' started hitting me at the tail end of one burst, leaving me to wait for finishing shots from the next one.

the main reason was because they didn't want to put an extra 200 bullets/sec into the server's calculations. It's still poo poo that the guns start killing people before the fake tracers have even arrived on the ground though.

my kinda ape posted:

Yeah the problem isn't "why are the bullets hitting the sandbag when my sight isn't on it", the problem is "why are the bullets hitting the sandbag when by barrel is clearly over it".

It's like the bullets aren't leaving the player's eyes or the barrel of the gun but a third point below the end of the barrel.

I got the impression most of the time that the weapon collision was assigned to the sights and not the barrel, they could be putting the bullet-point at some stupid location like you said though

I thought surviving crashes like that died with the end of wave 2 :eek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Tab8715 posted:

Can the spooky be shot down by a Dshk?

it can, set the sights for about 500m and keep shooting, I've seen it go down a few times to dshk gunners given enough bullets, it's usually where I start calling hax after seeing them previously take out all the choppers and the recon plane pretty much immediately

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Glenn Quebec posted:

I think the bullet pen is much greater on m14 but I'm yanking that out of my own rear end in a top hat and is based off of nothing

they have class files in the local directory to check this stuff.

from the data there:

m14
code:
	PenetrationDepth=17
	MaxPenetrationTests=3
	MaxNumPenetrations=2
m16
code:
	PenetrationDepth=10
	MaxPenetrationTests=3
	MaxNumPenetrations=1
and to compare with other weapons:

AK
code:
	PenetrationDepth=15
	MaxPenetrationTests=3
	MaxNumPenetrations=2
m37 shotty
code:
	00 buckshot
	PenetrationDepth=10
	MaxPenetrationTests=3
	MaxNumPenetrations=1

no.4
	PrimaryPenetrationDepth=7,
	PrimaryMaxPenetrationTests=3,
	PrimaryMaxNumPenetrations=1,
M40
code:
	PenetrationDepth=23.5
	MaxPenetrationTests=3
	MaxNumPenetrations=2
code:
	PenetrationDepth=8
	MaxPenetrationTests=3
	MaxNumPenetrations=2

LuiCypher posted:

Welcome to the Red Orchestra games, where casual/severe racism over text and voice chat is the norm. The playerbase are morons, but the game is Good. I'm not sure which is worse at this point - the horrible Asian stereotypes in Rising Storm games or the people RPing SS in the Red Orchestra games.

tbh it's been a thing since twi forum rules weren't simply telling all the nazis to gently caress off

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Party Plane Jones posted:

The places to put the little sapper mines are in doorways because (especially on Cu Chi) people will just rush in without looking. Was in a squad with goons and a sapper pubbie and between the two sappers we managed something like 20/25 mine kills.

any high traffic area they don't have time to check (because eg people are shooting at them) is perfect. put them in the trenches in D/E, they can only see them when they're about to drop in, they can't safely defuse without a grenade and they have about 3 people shooting at them at the same time...

Pesticide20 posted:

Just played Sniper as VC on Cu Chi and got a solid 45 kills and made the GIs go home. poo poo was bomb and I regret not having tried sniper sooner.

I found it was similarly easy on hue with the m40, I got the best results shooting stationary targets in the face/chest and people loved doing that behind walls and in windows

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Gaghskull posted:

Had a commander that was insta-kicked due to dropping napalm over a point we were rushing in Hue City. The only downside of burning everything. :(

from one of my mates

Knobb Manwich posted:

Someone hasn't played enough 64 player Firebase.

firebase 64 is a great way to relax your brain for 15 minutes. At least until one side caps both B and C and it becomes a nightmare for the other side to get out of the spawn

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Buschmaki posted:

People don't place squad tunnels and I get extremely angry irl

I was on songbe as VN had this exact experience when their choppers just cleaned up everyone's tunnels and the entire VN team gave up and was camping the B/D LZs.

I ended up getting a monster kill just before the end of the round when even the huey pilots got out and were running around in crowds looking for the VN team.

We followed this up with teamstacking onto the VN team on hue (this took a while due to the third team problem) and getting rickrolled there too, though that was in part due to a CIA agent taking commander :negative:

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

soy posted:

Ah yes, custom maps. The classic "bunch of random arms and dogs and you only get a shotgun" and "a bunker in a totally flat open field". Truly classics for the ages.

The only 60hz server I know of just loves these maps!

I remember that server, that bunker one looks like the example map the devs put out for mappers to learn how poo poo works

they put a bunch on the aussienz server and the basic results were

-der iwanberg: nostalgia trip for about 5 minutes until you realise how average it is with automatic weapons. Also no claymores for the us team to sweep the open areas with :(

-suong mu: pretty drat good, made by a veteran mapper so there's some experience there. foggy so it's possible for both sides to get the drop on each other, but the us gets 2 loaches to provide intel on tunnels and people's locations which makes it much fairer for US.

-te version of songbe: good chopper LZs are behind the VN spawn, so you can be confident there's about 5 people shooting you at all times. spawn protection zones are awful and it's way too easy to run into them

-krong: the mapper wants to have you fly in defenders via chopper and it's awful. not even a setup point like what darkest hour did to give the defenders time to set up.

there was also some massive jungle map that played like a conquest map, from what I found (flying one of four hueys) the map suffered immensely from a lack of LZs (you basically landed on an open clearing or not at all, even most of the caps were covered in trees) and being this dull green colour to the point of parodying gears of war's colour palette.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Tekopo posted:

Song Be is such a lovely map. There's no where to land that's safe and if the RPG enemies are even half good there's basically no relatively safe area. At least An Loa Valley is bigger so they can't cover everything.

by the time everyone found this out it was the beta and they didn't have the money to bin the map and restart by then.

The other killer is that it's right in the corner of the fly-zone so you can't bugger off the edge of the map to escape or line up attack runs like in an lao.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Medlar posted:

I don't even know why An Lao is well-liked tbh. Since most teams don't seem to have competent RPG gunners the helos can pretty much run rough-shod onto B if your attack advances to say E.

Or maybe I just suck and my team sucks

I've noticed it as well, during the beta it became a contest because the chopper pilots and the dshk/rpg men all knew what they were doing. Now the chopper pilots are still around but the rpgs/dshks have all buggered off and you can barely get a spawn tunnel outside of the cave without it being blown up in under 30 seconds by a cobra.

in other news:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhQg87uBG3A a recon plane landed on a loach on hamburger hill, and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2-2bLATVGAthe f4 basically kamikaze'd napalm onto the map

protip for wannabe youtubers - don't post on /r/rs2vietnam, it doesn't get any views

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
I tested operation irving, turns out it has about a 90% crash rate for people, full server dropped down to about 5 people.

also there's a map called nui ba den that's on top of a rocky outcrop, and it seems to be quite popular for people that aren't mgs once they get past all the level geometry.
The bunkers on the map also had some recorded radio comms and hanoi hannah playing, which feels less obnoxious somehow than the propaganda broadcasts of ro2, possibly because it was in one room and not over the entire goddamn map

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
the server has a redirect set up, I've been playing maps on it for a while.

Also the cambodian incursion map has way too much z-axis nonsense going over hills between points, though it may not be intentional and the mappers might be intending to put blocking volumes up over some of the hills and narrow the random roaming a bit

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

turn off the TV posted:

Yeah, what I mean is that when you join a server and start downloading the map you can end up with insanely slow download speeds. I was playing with a guy who has 100mb down and couldn't even finish downloading a map before the round ended. I'm assuming that that's why server populations will implode when a match ends and transitions to a custom map.

that's what I meant too.

some servers have a setup where it redirects download requests to another server, otherwise as you said it downloads at like 64kbps and gives everyone actually on the server awful lag while the downloads are going on.

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I'm trying to figure out why the game lets you adjust your scopes for shots out to 800m. I've been sniping a lot lately and the farthest shot I've been able to make is around 250m and I don't think there's any map that has a useful shooting spot past 300m from any point.

it's a holdover from ro2, most of those are impractical but they would be facing howls of outrage from the rivet counters if they only half-implemented it otherwise

quote:

Also, the game engine starts going wonky past 225m and won't draw certain objects, so looking through your scope, you might see a dude that looks like he's standing out in the open, but you won't be able to hit him because he's actually behind an invisible wall (that wasn't drawn). This is especially bad on Chu Chi.

I made a video on that a while back, they've fixed a few of the problems but the invisible mounds and walls and tombstones are still a nightmare to try and hit people behind, especially when they get completely behind the object and stop rendering at all :\

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Played Nui Ba Den last night. It could be a good map if they had better collision detection on all the rocks and maybe added some cover to B so it wasn't just GIs machinegunning an open platform as Charlie tries to dive for cover behind the single destroyed helicopter.

as much as I hate the game being balance around this mechanic, smoke it. convince the americans to smoke it too, this abruptly stops everything except nadespam, which you can fight back with your own, and mg spam, which you can fix by going prone.

I've played RO2, you would be very hard pressed to fire more than 300 meters or so on any of the (early) maps.

and they let you scroll out to 2km on most of the guns too. it felt like a little bit of an over-implementation, like the tank modelling causing them to paint themselves into a development corner where it cost squillions to make one vehicle, leaving us with 4 tanks + transports instead of the 15-20 from ro1.

still, there's those open-steppe custom maps where the long range settings on eg the mgs were useful at least

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Roobanguy posted:

there is a lingering burn effect. that smoke kills people.

people don't realise this and they hang around waiting to burn to death inside it and give people teamkills :(

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

the multiple people not even stopping to look for traps once their guy calls out that there are traps nearby :negative:

still good to see someone having fun with the claymores at least

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

GyverMac posted:

Also, god drat the LMGS are in a really weird place right now. Setting up and trying to suppress only gets you killed near instantly. If by some weird chance you manage to set up and not instantly die, the barrel heats up and the gun is useless for what feels like several minutes because of the heat warping effect.

it does take minutes to cool down if you heat it up most of the way, a couple times I've deliberately gotten myself killed for a new cool barrel. Also apparently a couple of the maps have really, really high ambient temperature so it takes even less to heat the guns up than normal.

on that note however, I warped the barrel once on the m60 so it had :downsgun: accuracy and I still managed to kill someone through a wall with it at over 100m :vince:

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Realistically you should not be able to overheat barrels unless you fire through two entire mags/belts, plus you should have quick change barrels for both the 60 and the RPD (similarly the MG-34/42 had them in Red Orchestra.)

Being able to warp your barrel in 12 seconds is dumb and awful but that's Tripwire forever I guess.

it's about 30 for the DP/rpd to permawarp and 40 for the m60, including the reloads and hard mag dumps. there's obviously several states of smoking barrels in the middle there, but they don't affect accuracy too much outside of obscuring your vision.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

For gently caress's sake, you'd think that in a game about combat at range they'd ensure poo poo would draw in at range.

it was better way back in the first beta rounds but then had horrible frame hanging issues, particularly when switching to ironsights.

having to wait seconds to shoot a guy 5m in front of you made the game unplayable for anyone with bad hardware :(

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Grey Hunter posted:

I was laying down covering fire with my M-60 on the south of C on Hui City when two I got two kills and two achievements - Apparently the "Tripwire interactive" achievement doesn't care which side you are on - I must have hit a tripwire with a stray bullet and triggered it, taking out two guys in the trenches next to it!

The second achievement was for killing an enemy with their own tripwire.

I did it to someone who was laying down on their own tripwire in a bush :cool:

also someone made a m113 on the workshop, so they have land vehicle code even if the thing can't carry any troops and doesn't have an m2 on the turret

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F08ciSfO_Aw

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

ded posted:

An RPG better be able to murder the gently caress out of them.

apparently they're about as tough as a huey, hitting them with the noob toob will even blow them up

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

GyverMac posted:

I get so much kills from spraying them hooches. Even the walls and floors of the cap-point buildings on Hue can be penetrated.
On that note, the flamethrowers work pretty much the same way they did in RS1, so you can "richochet" flames around corners and off trees etc to reach enemies in cover.

Also; Do Squadleaders still count as two people when capturing a point like they did in earlier RO games?

from what I"m understanding they only push the cap at 2x, they don't actually count as 2 people (ie if it's just you and another dude, the cap won't move)

also upper limit on the cap of 6 people is stupid, especially in supremacy where you'll have 20 people loitering around the initial caps for a minute when they could be running around getting good positions instead :(

GyverMac posted:

Fat chance if you are on a 64 player server and all the squad spots are taken...

it seems unlikely that you're going to have 10 squads of 3 people each, all of whom are either refusing to dig or locking the squad. If they're that lazy they'll blob up in an existing squad rather than making their own.

10 squads of people having their tunnels regularly blown up by tryhard cobra pilots on the other hand...

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It's astounding the amount of places you can cap a point while still being in cover that are just inside the cap zone. Even more astounding are the amount of people who don't realize this and will charge well past where they need to and get in a dangerous spot and die instead of advancing the cap.

Been this way since the first Red Orchestra....

I'd prefer if the game was designed so people actually fought over/in the cap rather than the game turning into a black hole of everyone from both teams trying to hide in point throwing nades and not actually fighting, but alas...

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

drunkill posted:

• Separate sensitivity slider for iron sights and sniper optics
  • Tactical view (default: T) no longer needs to be toggled back to ‘on’ after death
  • Reduced recoil of AK-47 weapons by around 25%
  • Increased suppression caused by machine guns by 33%
  • Reduced weapon sway on the SVD and Mosin sniper rifles
  • Reduced PPSH-41 drum ammo count from 71 to 65 rounds simulating underloading the drum for reliability.
I don't think a lack of suppression was the problem with the mgs
also I was wondering when they were going to underload the ppsh drum like the m16's.

quote:

Quality of Life
  • Added vehicle-specific keybinds to separate movement keys when playing as infantry vs pilots
  • Added decals to indicate to players exactly where fire damage will occur when napalm has hit, preventing ‘Invisible Napalm’ deaths - if these continue to persist, please continue to report them at our official support forums: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/
  • Added the ability to rotate claymores before planting
  • Added an icon to indicate when the player’s gun’s muzzle is blocked by cover when aiming over cover
  • The ambush/force deployment audio now only broadcasts to the commander, and players who spawn as a result of the ability
  • Tweaked the volume of footstep sounds to make them more audible
  • Added a toggle sprint option to settings
  • Many objects that were being culled out too soon, have been addressed

the object culling sounds like they're doing that item-by-item, rather than preventing this from happening in the first place

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

drunkill posted:

The game is a lot better with competent squad leaders. Half the time people are automagically assigned as SL and dont do their job.

it's a problem with the game when having fun is based on how much the SL wants to hide

also had a game of hamburger hill where US lost by almost 250 tickets, not even worth taking off in the choppers :negative:

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Kenzie posted:

I tried playing flamethrower myself on that second round to see if I could do even nearly as well, and of course I couldn't. That was my first time with the flamethrower though and I still killed more people than I died (I killed 27 people I think). It's hilarious when you just spray into the bushes at random and then hear screaming from like 2 or 3 people.

there's a couple of maps where the maps are completely bushes and they require use of the flamer to get anywhere.

like this but with multiple kills every time he pulls the trigger :supaburn:

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

how do we petition the game developers to include this vehicle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pRihxvk4YY

we'll have enough trouble getting them to implement the normal metal bawkses

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

so...I'm not seeing any double-xp thing going on?

check the xp awarded at the end of the round and compare to your actual score

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

drunkill posted:

For the ANZACs they only really need to make the SLR (FAL/L1A1) as the main weapon, either an Owen or F1 submachinegun (or even a Sterling) and a Browning Hi-Power pistol

if we're lucky they'll only take a few months like the t-70 and panzer 3 :p

the makarov finally getting in is nice. The silenced m21 makes me think it'll have battlefield ballistics with the subsonic ammo though. like trying to snipe someone with the 1911 or the grease gun

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

I tried doing that with the revolver like what you did with the 1911. I hit my target, but I stood around waiting for the shot to arrive and got killed :doh:

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
http://steamcommunity.com/games/418460/announcements/detail/1501246458753720516

wakey wakey, go onto the community test branch and complain about how all the australian content is under/overpowered and they still haven't fixed the gunplay

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
using the miniguns on the dakka huey is much easier than on the cobra, the shots go where your reticle points to so as long as the pilot doesn't spin around in circles or keep rolling the thing like mad you can clean up good. This is very important as the pilot only has access to the 2 rocket pods, so his job is to get the copilot and the side gunners where they need to go. Also door gunners get dual m60s for rerolls on misses a more reasonable amount of dakka

SLR recoil's a bit much compared to other 7.62 nato weapons ie the m14

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8xJD6QOqhU

they must have gotten the VAs organised while the strike was still on

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

xXWehrabooXx posted:

Is there any reason to use the grease gun now that pointmen are getting CAR-15 carbines?

Army pointmen are getting carbines, if you're playing marines eg Hue you'll still be plinking away with the grease gun

they also made the L1A1 sound good, though the mg version sounds off when firing auto now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Dvsilverwing posted:

I also have no clue what the idea behind collapsing the XM177 stock is, you still use the irons and standard ADS and it's just way more unstable.

the purpose of pushing the stock in was so you get a better picture through the sights, at the expense of the gun taking up screen space like we're playing halo. I'm fairly sure it also slightly reduces the collision distance too.

also f1 sights are much better full auto than tapping, but I've never had much of a problem hosing people down with the owen

• Locked thread