Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

on the other hand, i'm playing spellatel so who really loses here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
i really hope the card descriptions are going to get fixed at some point. i just lost a game because "deal 3 damage" means "deal three damage to an enemy" without any indication on some cards. this sort of stuff kills my desire to play if i'm completely honest.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
honestly the ladder is just dwarves over and over again, this is incredibly unenjoyable

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

MarshyMcFly posted:

Has anyone here got past rank 19? I’ve never been able to make it past there but I got a jump start on this season so I thought I’d try again. I’ve been playing so much I could probably make any meta deck by now lol. Anyone have any suggestions of deck lists?

i'm sure a lot of us have, yeah. i got to 20 but didn't feel like pushing on after that, like, two seasons ago? i think?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
i feel kinda dumb asking this, but has the stupid mulligan system ever gotten fixed? it still feels like whatever i mulligan R1 i'm gonna get back R2

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Captainicus posted:

100% seems that way to me, too. People will probably call it a feature at this point, or tell you that you have confirmation bias.

i'm completely happy if this is confirmation bias, i've played enough online poker to know how convincing (and wrong) gut feeling can be. i'd just like to know if CDPR ever talked about fixing the mulligan system or not.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

No Wave posted:

My uderstanding is that mulling silvers/golds/one-ofs should work ok now after their change, but mulling 2-ofs and 3-ofs will still make you disproportionately likely to draw them because you draw around blacklisted cards during the mulligan (insane implementation).

that is the dumbest thing. why would they only fix part of the issue instead of implementing a clean easy true mulligan :psyduck:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

No Wave posted:

There's no real "clean" way to do it because blacklisting is a weird mechanic. What they should do is reshuffle blacklisted cards as you draw them during the mull but they decided preserving deck order was more important (a big dumb mistake imo).

that would be functionally the same thing as putting blacklisted cards on a separate stack, doing the mull, then combining the deck and the blacklist stack, and shuffling both. that's what i meant with "clean mulligan".

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
ah, i see what you mean. yeah, that's a concern. it's still not super difficult to just shuffle the blacklist stack into the fixed deck though.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
wait is that a thing? players disconnecting other players?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
so dwarves have been OP for how long now? why exactly has this not been fixed by now?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Knowlue posted:

Yeah I mean, just get your daily 6 wins at least and open your kegs. As you get better golds it'll be easier to build better decks. Don't scrap duplicates right now because nerfed cards will allow you to scrap for full value

i've always disagreed with this sort of minmaxing approach. unless you know that a patch is just around the corner, in my opinion you're better off just scrapping cards so you can make your deck better. i'd rather miss out on some scrap down the line if it means i don't get annoyed everytime i look at my deck during a game and think that i'm missing out on a card substitution that could seriously help.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Seedge posted:

Which would be a stronger argument if there wasn't a patch due at the end of Ranked in 16 hours.

that's why i specifically said "unless you know that a patch is just around the corner". i've seen people here tell people not to scrap as a general rule, not because a patch is coming right up. my point was more general.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
yeah i got up to 3800 this season by doing dailies and i have zero intention of pushing to 4k.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
did the season start just get delayed again for no reason? i checked in a while ago, it said half an hour to go, i checked in half an hour later, it said two hours. man.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/pawelburza/status/961609465404510211

lmao this game company

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Knowlue posted:

Maybe we'll get free kegs

lol

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

frajaq posted:

is the game good again?

game hasn't been patched yet, so no

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

No Wave posted:

As an fyi the game is pretty decent right now. I've been playing henselt NR featuring casting alzur's thunder 7 times per game, revenant foltest (not there yet imo), a Viper nilfgaard deck with Hanmarvyn's dream, eredin weather, a terrible scoiatel ciri nova scorch deck, and longships brann. The game was bad last patch but this one has been very enjoyable so far.

i've been loving around with that but it felt bad, mind sharing your list? so far i've just been playing spellatell again, which i don't want to do for the whole season (even though it's likely one of the strongest decks this season and i know how to play it)

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Various Meat Products posted:

Try something like [url=https://www.gwentdb.com/deckbuilder/40000-eredin-breacc-glas#3:4:2;576:1:1;4004:1:1;4036:3:1;4114:2:2;50031:4:1;50034:3:1;50076:1:1;50090:2:2;50093:1:2;50102:4:1;50197:3:1;50244:3:1;50303:2:2;50336:1:1;50390:4:2;50391:4:2;50405:1:2;]this[/url].

The gold/silver cards are pretty flexible but you definitely need Nova and Iris. Riders are necessary to get Iris off instantly. Caretaker lets you play her twice.

No Wave posted:

My list is bad. i was even running parasite. Wild Hunt decks with Iris are probably better.

Either way you can start with:
3x Drowner
3x hound
3x frost

frightener
jotun
monster nest

kayran
woodland spirit

Remaining 6 bronzes, 3 silvers, 2 golds, idk. I was playing crappy bronzes like bridge troll when archespore is probably just better. Wild Hunt rider is kind of bad but ok as a 1 or 2 of and you can put a reconnaissance in there.

Abaya is probably correct, morvudd is probably correct, scorch doesn't hurt because you're not playing anything big. But I was playing with giant toad olgierd which can just be free wins at lower ranks.

Caretaker and ge'els/royal decree are probably good golds. Better than the imlerith i was running for no reason.

thanks, i'll play around with these and see what happens.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
what's going on with the servers lately? i haven't had this much connection issues and not finding games ever, and i've played since closed beta

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
i think there's an argument to be made that all the silver spies are the best silver units.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

rydiafan posted:

Some golds in this format are worse than some bronzes and silvers, though. This last run I was actually mulliganing away golds.

yeah that's a super cool anecdote but on average golds are worth more points than silvers or bronzes

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

rydiafan posted:

Except in a format like Arena, where synergy cards like Brewess: Ritual and Letho are literal garbage.

Like I know you were all excited to be a snarky piece of poo poo, but maybe actually read my point. I never said "golds are normally worse than bronzes". I said some are. Even if you get 10 golds 2-3 of them might only be worth 10-15 points.

there are synergy silvers and bronzes as well. on average, golds are worth more points than silvers and bronzes.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Captainicus posted:

Hope the Nekkers get changed next balance adjustments patch, I feel like 'weaken by 4 / transform this or lose' isn't exactly very exciting to play against.

i'm sure the right way forward is not to take yet another archetype out of the game, especially one that isn't oppressively good.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Captainicus posted:

If there was some kind of card that perhaps destroyed cards with a certain keyword, but that keyword was only in one faction, would that be ok?

no, i really dislike this way of balancing the game. i don't want less archetypes in gwent, i want more. i want mill to be a thing, and queensgards, and weather, and whatever other weird thing you can come up with. the answer to decks that aren't fun to play against is to make more decks that you can play that (a) are fun and (b) have a good chance against most other decks.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
vandergrift is sort of a high risk high reward card, but on average i don't think he's better than cap'n kirk

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
is there a counter for the faction challenge now? weren't they talking about implementing that?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Estraysian posted:

It should be on the social panel under your quests. Try restarting if it's not there or not updating.

oh i see it, thanks! i still forget that panel exists now

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
yeah that counter is bugged to poo poo. i'm sitting at 18 rounds won, most of those were 2-0s, but my faction win counter says 3 win. ok.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Minrad posted:

why are yall still playing dead game?

im not, gwent isn't fun anymore. i'm waiting for the new magic thing and the dota card game

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Kalko posted:

I'm glad they care enough about their brand to do this (and have the financial security for it) but it's too bad I won't be playing any Gwent for the next six months. Here's hoping some kind of beta appears for Artifact soon to fill the digital card game-shaped hole in my appetite.

yeah i'm hoping i'll get into the magic:arena beta soon.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
do we have a thread for mtga?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Knowlue posted:

Do we even have keys for it though

e: I'm pretty sure you're keeping SA singlehandedly alive with all these avys

i broke down and bought a beta key for 4 bucks, so now i do :v:

the whole UI as of now is pretty badly explained and i have questions, so a thread would be nice.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Electronico6 posted:

There's the Magic thread in Traditional Games, and plenty of folk in there have access to Arena and are happy to talk about it. Only thing is that it's 100% a general MTG thread, so it's mostly people complaining about cared prices, talking about their favorite format that nobody else plays, and goons not knowing how to play the game.

i didn't even think of looking there, i'm not sure i've ever really been to TradGames. thanks!

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

lmao :negative:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
it is currently dead while we're all waiting for the reboot, which i think is due in october.

it is free to play though so you can always check it out and see how you like it!

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
yeah the gameboard looks like poo poo. there is zero visual clarity, even the rows aren't cleanly distinguished. i mean at the end of the day all i care about is the gameplay but the visuals are not great at all.

edit: also just generally, i sort of thought we had collectively gotten over the whole obsession with grimdark looks this decade. witcher 3 was visually stunning in part because the game was so incredibly vibrant and used light so well. i do not understand the art direction at all.

botany fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 2, 2018

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

No Wave posted:

The new card borders look ok at least and the one thing I absolutely LOVE is the "setting aside" visual for the mulligan to communicate blacklisting. You may not know the history behind this feature but if you do you'll know how much of a relief this is to see.

yes!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
i want these people to take a visual design course, wtf