Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Minrad posted:

I think the launch stream's at 9 CEST, which is like... 3 pm EST?

But gently caress yeah I'm hype for tomorrow, I think I got 150 kegs to crack. That'll take me a solid 2 hours I bet :shepface:

Overall I like the gwent pack opening system a lot, but it's going to suck when opening tomorrow and you hit a hard decision without a good reference for what the new meta is like. Pack anxiety :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I like you gwent goons, here's a fun deck I've been climbing with based on what I was able to open. Use crach to bring out morkvarg the magic unremoveable minion, then put all the buffs on morkvarg. It's surprisingly solid and it would be even better with the golden longship :pray:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Class Warcraft posted:

Yeah its 50/50. Either players misunderstand how she works and go ahead and just ignore her, then pass when she's worth like 10 points and lose themselves the match. Or they freak out and go completely out of their way trying to get rid of it.

Either way its never not awesome.

Edit: What is that card based on though? I don't remember a fake Ciri in Witcher 3 unless its part of one of the expansions.

The books

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Kawabata posted:

2 clear skies and Sile are not nearly enough because they actively play around them and there's gently caress all you can do when they have 4-5 chances to massacre your rows with frost

2 games in a row where I use both clear skies and yet I have all 3 rows with frost in the last round

weather feels super cheap and bad

If you want a deck that fucks over weather check out the one I posted a few pages back. You can play up to 5 clear skies, even if you don't draw them morkvarg dgaf about weather, and believe me the monster men get very angry (they don't press gg button)

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Electronico6 posted:

This is legit good even if straightforward. Made some changes, dropped the Rain and the lacerate and instead added the Bear Roars. You always have a target to use them, and you gain 10 points on average, plus can be ressed later on.

Wild Boar of the Sea is amazing, but it's power diminishes greatly after R1, or at least until people figure out that they should not drag a R1 when Mork and Boar are on the board. Also pro tip, if Mork dies he respawns to the LEFT of Boar, so ideally you want to put Crach/Hjalmar to buffer in case of bad things happening. Lugos is also good, more so to smooth out awkward hands and bad rally pulls.

But the real shining star of this deck is the Spores and the Nilfgaard rage concedes when you crush their hopes and dreams by reset their impera brigades. So good.

Good changes. I also pulled the trigger on crafting Ragh Nar Roog in the hopes they won't be making balance changes over the weekend, and swapped that in for triss.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Kawabata posted:

Yeah, about that: I think Morkvarg is the most unfair card in the game right now, and probably the strongest value wise.

He doesn't even have a real counter.

Letho :awesome:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Kawabata posted:

RNR but I wouldn't craft anything other than bronze and maybe a silver or two for at least a week or so.

Eh, nerfs are sure to come but if you plan on going hard on the game in the short term I don't think crafting RNR is a bad call. In terms of the ranked games it's won me it's probably pretty close to paying itself off in packs already.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

RatHat posted:

I thought you could stack weather.

Please don't give CDPR any ideas

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

dead comedy forums posted:

Any of you guys coming from hearthstone? Would love to hear some comparisons, thx in advance :buddy:

Instead of being a big dumpster fire behind the clown store, it's a fun game

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Magic Underwear posted:

I don't have many cards and I haven't been playing very long.

1. What are some high impact crafts that would be useful in many decks?
2. My gut is telling me that NR is the worst class. Would it be wrong to dust a bunch of NR to feed other class decks?
3. As much as I'm enjoying my low synergy NG deck in the kiddy pool area, at some point I need to build towards a meta deck. Where should I go for deck lists?

1. Ragh Nar Roog is the de rigueur auto-include overpowered card right now but it might be a while before you're up to craft a legendary and it may get nerfed. Roach, Operator, Ocvist, Alzur's Double Cross, and the silver weather cards are all commonly useful neutral silvers, see if any of them jump out at you.
2. NR isn't very good right now but if the beta was any indication CDPR makes balance changes that are a lot harsher and more frequent than many other CCG devs, it might not be long before NR gets love/everyone else gets hate. It's a gamble basically.
3. GwentDB is the most popular

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

precision posted:

Is there any downside to sending a Good Game?

You may be giving ore/scraps/dust to someone you hate, otherwise no

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Magic Underwear posted:

Can anyone explain this card: http://www.gwentdb.com/cards/50192-the-guardian

It's essentially the most base power a silver card can have but it comes with the extremely strong ability that essentially reads "your opponent can't mulligan in between rounds". That doesn't even rate a 1 power reduction? Seems like a bit much.

Yeah it's ridic, it speaks to the power of the silver options for Nilfgaard that it isn't an auto-include

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

precision posted:

It's really counter intuitive that Roach doesn't auto play if it's in your hand rather than deck. Seems like it should pull from either, unless there's some way to abuse that really bad?

It would be extremely bad for a roach player if roach jumped out of the hand into play since it would kill your card advantage. It's actually an upside that he doesn't

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Oenis posted:

What's up with the card drop rarities? I thought there was supposed to be a rare in every keg, but all I've pulled for almost 20 packs is lovely bronzes and a single silver. Opening packs in this game is really underwhelming.

Some bronzes are common and some are rare, and you do get at least 1 rare per pack. Silvers are all epic

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

kurona_bright posted:

Also apparently if you weaken a card to 0-, it's banished and is removed from play.

Yeah it owns, play mushrooms erryday

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Should I be saving scraps for big-ticket cards or using them to fill out the rares / epics that I need? I'm trying not to craft any commons since it seems like you get a pretty generous amount of kegs through regular play and will probably build up a decent collection of them quickly, but most decks seem to run a metric shitload of rares / epics / legendaries and getting 1 random rare per pack seems like it will take forever to start making headway.

I would try as much as possible not to craft rares either, they're a huge ripoff at 80 scraps and it doesn't take that long to get a decent spread of them. Personally I rushed out a craft of Ragh Nar Roog and I'm pretty happy with the decision since it slots into most every deck and has won a lot of games.

That said I think people expect a round of balance changes this week so I would wait to craft anything big at this point.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Celaeno is the most quietly overpowered card I think, if you play monsters I think you should run them

Essentially guaranteed 13 power bronze before consume synergy 🤔

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yeah I don't think it needs to be nerfed right now since the rest of the archetype isn't really good enough to support it, but in a vacuum it's an insane card

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Class Warcraft posted:

I think the main problem is that generally players only get to field approx 15 cards in any game so everyone picks the 25 most powerful cards to make minimum deck size and rolls with that. I suspect if decks needed to be more like 35/40 cards we'd see a lot more diversity.

Good decks are all alike; every bad deck is bad in its own way. - Anna Cardenina

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Inverse posted:

I am brand brand new, which one do i pick

The more boar wants more oars

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

gently caress gimmicks, run 25 blank bronze minions every day

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-egGn5WYrk

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Whenever you see the Succ or Letho it's usually a good sign that that person is Mad About Morkvarg

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

As SK it can be pretty lovely going second, especially in the mirror matchup where whoever plays a bear first has a huge advantage in the bear wars. Otherwise it's usually better to go second yeah

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Xtanstic posted:

Are Crones good? It feels like a trap given that decks are limited to 6 silvers. My brother has been complaining that he lacks flexibility since he has 3 crones + weather/lock mages.

It's not so much that they're great as it is that the other silver options for monsters are even worse

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Gigni has its moments for sure but it's a lot easier to play around now than it was in closed beta due to the massive increase in units playable on any row

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

When you open Villen

the day before nerfs to all the decks using him are announced :smith:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Hope you guys like Spellgaard :barf:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

RatHat posted:

Somebody noticed that in the stream Impera Enforcers were changed to look at the top CARD in your deck now, not unit. So RIP Spellgaard.

Stefan Skellen's back on the menu, boys

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

dead comedy forums posted:

So I am having enough fun here and playing regularly enough that I decided to put some money for a bunch of kegs. If I am going to do this every now and then, are there any "strategies" to which cards to choose and specific directions to work with?

(I don't mean building for specific decks, to be clear, but rather what are must haves/useful all around/stuff like that)

I can't vouch for it but here's a tool that uses a tier list to help you pick the "best" option when you get offered multiple golds or epics http://gwentify.com/card-picker/

However, there is a patch coming in the next few days which will probably throw the list off; also wait to mill your extra cards until the patch as the scrap value for commons and rares is going to be increased. Cheers to you

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Probably too much to hope for to get retroactive scraps from stuff we've already milled, yeah?

Didn't sound like it. They said there would be some amount of apology scraps given if you'd bought kegs with real money in the past but they were vague about the specifics

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ugh I can't play until the patch, I'm about to hit level 20 and I don't want to draw a leader card. CDPR make haste :(

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Does the patch go live today?

There's still no date that I know of, at the least I would assume it won't hit today in NA time since it's already 9PM in Poland

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Control Volume posted:

I wish I didnt start playing this game literally three days ago so I could use meteorite powder to get insane scraps

If they do a couple more patches of this scope in beta and you play a decent amount it shouldn't be hard to catch up dramatically, this system is really broken in favor of players

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Work Friend Keven posted:

I just voted the gwent thread a 1 in revenge for lifecoach being alive. Enjoy your time playing Gwant.

Dude

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

These dwarves seem pretty cancerous :ohdear:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

King Pawn posted:

Some guy in the hive of scum and villainy that is the Gwent discord posted some interesting analysis of the modified Elo rating system that Gwent uses. The tl;dr is:

Below 1k you can't lose points.
From 1k-4k the amount you "should" lose is reduced based on a sliding formula that gradually gets less lenient as you rank up.
Above 4k it works as a normal Elo system, except you are actually punished slightly more than normal for losses.

The K-value (which affects the size of both wins and losses) decreases somewhat when you pass 2k, 3.1k, 3.4k, 3.7k and 4k.

In graphical form:

Credit to "Rock" on the Gwent discord, whoever he is.

So basically if you're below 4k, just spam a bunch of games and you'll climb even with a crappy winrate. Then you'll hit a brick wall at 4k and get stuck with a bunch of other people unless you're skilled enough to maintain a significantly positive winrate.

I think it's good. It reminds me of Hearthstone, with <4K being the pre-legendary ranks, but more obfuscated. I like that anyone who cares enough to play a lot should be able to get like 90% of the end of season rewards.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

frajaq posted:

Dagon Dagon Dagon Dagon Dagon Dagon Dagon Dagon Dagon

yeah this is really fun to play, woooo

If you can't beat 'em

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Flipswitch posted:

Thanks for reply on Isengrim dudes, just a question on the ambush cards. I know Toruviel is pretty decent and I've had a lot of success using her in various decks, but what makes Morenn so good? 5 power feels a bit low, or is it more to do with the fact she procs before the enemy deploy ability does? What sort of interactions am I looking for here?

Ideally you try to trick your enemy into playing around Toruviel when it's Morenn and vice versa since they're often run together. For example a monsters player might want to lock Toruviel with fiend, but if it's actually Morenn she'll shoot and kill the fiend before it can even do damage.

On the other hand if the monsters player knows it's Morenn they can play e.g. Woodland Spirit and the shot will go off on one of the wolves achieving pretty lovely value.

Honestly considering monsters dominance right now and the amount of weenies they can spam it's probably not a great card in this meta. But it could be pretty sick if, say, dwarves were dominant and you could kill a mahakam defender off of it.

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

King Pawn posted:

Calveit at 48% isn't too bad. All the reveal NG players are dragging the entire faction down!

When they open with two mangonels and I instantly pass ruining their entire strategy, that's amore