Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Seconding Dean Spanos.

That said, I'm going to also nominate the Chargers Front Office for causing the holdout of Joey Bosa, the very first rookie holdout since the 2011 CBA was agreed upon, showing that the Chargers are somehow able to gently caress up negotiations on something that's 98% structured already by said CBA. Link to some comments by John Spanos on the holdout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Pacman "Adam" Jones

I know he's a dirty player and all, and I have no love for the Bengals for keeping him, Vontaze Burfict, and now Joe Mixon. But really my reasoning comes down to why I won't vote for Donald "Mr President" Trump: Trump's douchiness in the realm of football is a one-liner in a sea of one-liners to come from him about literally anything he cares to vomit diarrhea on, which is anything and everything. I doubt he even remembers what he said anymore and if asked about it again, he'd probably ask who the hell Kaepernick is. He's long since moved on from it, while the league still has the Bengals.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Vontaze Burfict.

It takes a special sort of shithead to come back from suspension and say "Why would I change anything?".

He's been fined, and in some years the most fined player because he's a dirt motherfucker and actively tries to injure people. He was suspended at the beginning of this year because of his dirty-as-gently caress hit in the playoffs. He is the singular reason I'm glad the Bengals crashed and burned last season. And he's actively refusing to learn a loving thing, so he can eat poo poo through a straw. That's a lot of swearwords to indicate he makes me less than happy. That quote I pulled is basically why. It's not really playing dirty in the past -- it's refusing to acknowledge he's been a problem and continuing to be a dirty piece of poo poo.

This isn't to say that Mark Davis doesn't deserve to go on. If I could, I'd throw a vote for both of them. Neither deserve to be eliminated in round 1. If it were almost anyone else up against Davis, I'd vote for him.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

sean10mm posted:

Plus, again, nobody cares about the Bengals.

At least not until the next time Burfict concusses Antonio Brown.

Also yeah, people who think Kaepernick disrespected the troops.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
I'm not a hater on the Patriots. But that doesn't stop me from thinking Bobby Kraft needs to see this through.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
To be honest, if I had noticed I would've spoken up. But we're so far into it, might as well keep going. I'm sure most of them will get sifted out in the next few rounds.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

Cavauro posted:

My My my my

Don't look at me in that tone of voice.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Dean Spanos and family. Outside of the Chargers, they're worth a trailer park home, half of a dodge on blocks, and a mostly-used bottle of ketchup. Alex Spanos built a real estate fiefdom in the greater San Diego area, of which Dean and his kids have pissed away over the years, and now their only claim to anything is the Chargers and little else. They've managed their football team about as effectively as the real estate business, and now have set fire to even that. I have a desire to see the Chargers crash and burn hard in Los Angeles because of these shitheads. I don't wish the same for the players, coaches or anyone not named Spanos in the front office, so yeah, conflicted.

Anyways, Alex is a douchebag too, I'm not defending him. He just happened to be competent at something, enough to buy an NFL franchise. His kids and grandkids, not so much.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
In this post, I was dumb and mixed up two separate entries in different brackets. You can see in the quote below.

aperion fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 10, 2017

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

This round isn't Pats fans vs. Pacman. It's Pats fans vs. Clay Travis. Just sayin...

Whoops. Yeah, don't know how I hosed that up, but I'm gonna go fix that.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

nah just post a new post because I keep up with the thread and if you edit your old post I won't notice and your vote won't count :ohdear:

Fair enough.

aperion posted:

In previous years I've gotten annoyed at Patriots fans for one reason or another. This year I haven't really been affected by them, mostly because the ones I usually interact with have been too shell-shocked by the super bowl to rub it in anyone's faces. Except Falcons fans, but there's like zero of them around where I live, so that's a non-issue. It's hard to be insufferable when they had to exhaust a superior team and go to overtime to claw out that victory. I'm not saying that Pats fan haven't, just the ones I talk to haven't.

For that reason, I'm going with Clay whatever, I don't care enough to know his name properly. Anyways, just skimming over his douchebag opinions pretty much validates the entire point of this contest in much the same way that Skip Bayless or Darren Rovell do and why these sorts of shitheads give sports journalism a bad name. The Fox News model of "news reporting" doesn't need to be exported to other venues, especially violent sports where enough happens as it is. Also his "i'm not racist, but..." type of commentary can gently caress right off.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Mark Davis because gently caress him for moving the Raiders. Yeah I get the situation in Oakland is actually hosed, but I don't care. Moving a franchise is a lovely practice that needs to die forever.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Allow me to make my attempt, then, as to why, you should vote for the Chargers Front Office over Thomas Brady.

First, yes, the Bosa holdout was mostly on them. Some bit of explanation as to how the FO got to that point: John Spanos is the man who's in charge of contract negotiations by and large. Tom Telesco (the GM) mostly does talent finding and getting players in the door. Telesco is good at what he does. John Spanos....not so much.

See, Spanos was an up-and-coming executive when noted dipshit AJ Smith was GM and handled contract negotiations. Spanos learned primarily from Smith in that regard. Keep in mind that under Smith, a shocking amount of talent walked out of the Chargers and to other teams. Most notably -- Vincent Jackson, LaDanian Tommlinson, Drew Brees among many others. Smith was a hard-nosed 'my way or gently caress you' negotiator who was also notoriously impatient in negotiations if he didn't get his way. He was fired along with Norv Turner for a drat good reason -- they were the primary culprits as to why the Chargers were run straight into the ground. So John Spanos took over contracts while Tom Telesco handled most everything else.

Under the new regime, things have gotten a lot more stable. Talent isn't allowed to walk out the door so easily, but unfortunately that's also translated to bad talent. The likes of Donald Butler, Donald Brown, Orlando Franklin, Trevor Robinson, Shareece Wright have all been starters on this team. Below replacement-level guys were on the team for much longer than they ever had any right being. They're way too attached to their broken toys and mostly unwilling to let people go if they suck.

That's for broken toys. Let's talk their older but awesome toys, specifically one in particular -- Eric Weddle. He was a top-3 Safety for almost every season he was with the Chargers. But when it came time to talk about his third contract, they gave him the cold shoulder and poo poo on him every chance they got during his last season, to the point that on the last day he was at Qualcomm, he peeled out and got the gently caress out of town ASAP. This is why once in a while you might see 'Weddle was right'.

Last year's holdout with Bosa falls into neither of these categories, but at the same time follows a similar pattern. This front office seemingly doesn't believe in superstar talent, and thinks it can "fix" bad talent. Add into this their unwillingness to adapt to a new situation and you can see how they set themselves on fire over his holdout. He was a top-3 pick, something they hadn't had for over a decade, and the first for John Spanos and Tom Telesco. Telesco knew he wanted Bosa. Spanos didn't recognize that a top-3 draft pick basically maxes out the limits of the rookie contract. However, they relied on an argument of 'this is how we always do things no matter who it's for' to get themselves in trouble. The money issue was handled quickly, meaning Bosa got the maximum. It was over offset language vs. 100% guaranteed money. Bosa wanted both. Spanos was only willing to give him one or the other. Bosa's agent called bullshit. Holdout commences.

You can make the argument that Bosa could've accepted one or the other to end it and move on with life. That's fair. You could say the same thing about Spanos. Yes, both parties share the blame for that, but overall, Bosa was looking out for himself while Spanos did the Chargers a massive disservice by ~sticking to his guns~ over something that wouldn't matter in a few years. Furthermore, he put into play the scenario that Joey Bosa might hold a grudge over this and refuse to sign anything after his rookie contract is up, therefore wanting to play for Literally Any Other Team. And I won't blame him one bit for that.

This year, the front office did let go of some guys that were on their way out already -- Brandon Flowers and King Dunlap, and even got rid of Orlando Franklin, eating a serious amount of dead money in the process. However, they put themselves in the unenviable position of having to carry over some other huge underperformers like Joe Barksdale, while getting another potentially colossal mistake in Russel Okung with no way to get away from them anytime soon. This front office is inept in many places, hostile in contract negotiations with anyone not named Philip Rivers, and overall have wasted the best years of many players on their watch. Don't be surprised if that continues. Vote Chargers Front Office, and make no difference in this matter.

Besides, Tom Brady will be around much longer. He'll get his shot at the BRFDotY award someday. Hail Satan.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
In the last round, I put in an effortpost that ended up being a straight indictment on the Spanos family more than the Chargers front office. Anyways, yeah. Much like there being multiple Bengals entries, when all's said and done, this is the one I want to see go forward.

gently caress the Spanos family.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to do something because I am disturbed at how many shutouts there's been so far. I am going to vote for Pacman "Adam" Jones so there won't be a shutout. This is not an endorsement of his douchebaggery being larger than what Dean Spanos and his fuckwit family have accomplished. Yes, Pacman is a dirty, lovely player and somehow a worse human being. This is why he deserves a 1-point acknowledgement.

Dean Spanos should be acknowledged to be the biggest douche of the year. Hell, he managed to somehow be worse than Stan Kroenke and his douchebag move out of St. Louis. He's sunk the bar so low that it's like Freddy Krueger came in it's dreams and swallowed it in the mud where a few air pockets seep out until it chokes and dies. It's midnight, there's a crow in the background being a tool, there's a parked ice creme truck in someone's driveway nearby, it's a kind-of warm night so it's uncomfortable to be outside; idk, at this point I'm just winging it. gently caress Dean Spanos.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
I'm changing my vote to Dean Spanos and his crotchspawn since there have been others who're voting for Pacman.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Tucker Carlson getting involved in sports is about as awkward as it gets. Also finding out he's basically compromised his own beliefs in every way possible just so he could have O'Reilly's old timeslot is just hilarious.

His guest Jason Whitlock? Not so much. He shouldn't have a bully pulpit, but people like Carlson enable his horseshit views by giving him one. Really, there's no reason he should be infecting his terrible opinions on the world and I feel dumber for having looked some of his poo poo up. He deserves to earn the Darren Rovell Noticed SA.com Memorial Award for being a fuckwit on camera and getting away with it. Too bad that's not a thing, so I'll settle for voting for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
I wish I could find the news bit that said Stan Kroenke was offering to front several hundred million extra into the deal for Spanos to keep the Chargers in San Diego. I never found out if that story was ever verified or corroborated, but it sounds like a thing Kroenke would've done just to keep the fuckwit Spanos family out of LA.

There is a chance, though I've never been able to back that up, that Dean Spanos walked away from a fully-funded stadium in Mission Valley.

He has pissed away so much of his rear end in a top hat father's fortune that he does not know what to do with actual money when it's presented to him. He doesn't know how to close a deal that has been gifted to him. He only knows how to be a bottom bitch in the world of billionaires. And that is where he will stay.

• Locked thread