Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TOO LATE, THIS IS OVER NOW!

2017 Ben Roethlisberger Football Douchebag of the Year: Dean Spanos and the Spanos Family
2017 Inductee into the Dan Snyder Memorial Douchievement Award of Excellence Hall of Fame: Penn State Fans

Hi TFF Goons, it's that time of year again! Actual Football is still months away, the draft is long past, the frenzy of free agency trading is done, and now it is time to get together and decide in an extremely scientific and highly fair way which person and/or organization was the biggest loving douchebag of the last year.

In prior years, BenHasTinyWeenus ran this thing. Last year he solicited help and like an idiot I volunteered, and so when he disappeared (possibly consumed by his very smart idea of getting married and opening his own restaurant at the same time) I sort of inherited the responsibility. OK, whatever, I am a "details oriented" kind of guy and I just loving love to make spreadsheets and abuse petty authority, so now I'm in charge and you will all do as I say.

Your Douchebag 2016 champion: BAYLOR UNIVERSITY

Here is last year's tournament bracket:

The rules
In accordance with established tradition, we will first have a period of nominations. eNOMINATIONS FOR DotY ARE NOW OVER. Anygoon can make any number of nominations, and in addition, you should post to "second" other goons' nominations. After the nomination period, I will build a tournament bracket consisting of the nominations that got the most "seconds."

Unlike previous years, I will not specifically limit the contest to a 32-member bracket. Instead I'll make a reasonable decision about where the cutoff should be and build a bracket that works. That may mean we have some wildcard spots if we don't get a power of 2 number of nominations, but that's cool and fine.

Eligibility
Eligible nominees must be a person or group of people that meet these three criteria:

#1: Football
The nominee must be related to the sport of American Football in some reasonably direct way.

#2: Douchebag
The nominee must be douchebaggy. Douchebaggery is broadly defined by the thread consensus via voting, so I prefer not to try to spell out too specifically what the term means. However, by consensus we exclude from consideration crimes for which there was a conviction in a court of law. I'll go ahead and add anyone who has been charged with a crime for which trial is still pending, and anyone who engaged in severely gross behavior that we really need to avoid having some kind of terrible "debate" about, such as the Paterno/Sandusky thing. Please also recognize that we're doing this for fun and not to have a debate about for example what exactly constitutes consent for purposes of determining if a rape took place. That said, a certain amount of discussion about where to draw the line is OK, as long as it doesn't become a derail or start resulting in probations.

#3: Of the Year
The nominee must have done the douchebaggy thing during the period of May 19, 2016 through May 18, 2017. It's OK if they did douchebaggy things before or since, but you have to be able to call out douchebaggery that occurred during that period.

#4: Not a member of the hall of fame
Last year there was no Dan Snyder Memorial Douchievement Award of Excellence contest, probably because Ben intended to do it later and then I never did it. We'll rectify that this year, but anyway here are the members of the Douchebag Hall of Fame:
  • Dan Snyder
  • Craig James
  • Art Modell
  • Roger Goodell
  • The NCAA
  • Bobby Petrino

Special contest: Dan Snyder Memorial Douchievement Award of Excellence
We missed it last year but we won't this year. Entirely separately from the Douchebag of the Year tournament, we will have a straight vote for a new inductee into the Douchebag Hall of Fame; think of it as a sort of Lifetime Achievement Award for douchebags. e NOMINATIONS FOR LIFETIME DOUCHIEVEMENT ARE STILL OPEN

Eligibility for the Hall of Fame follows exactly the same rules as for the Douchebag of the Year, but with the following exception:
Douchebaggery not limited to the last calendar year. Any football-related douchebag acts of the past may be considered. You can nominate some 1950s football douchebag if you want.
Nominations and seconds will run for the entire thread, including during voting for the tournament brackets. I'll close nominations shortly after we name the Douchebag of the Year, and then we'll have our vote for the hall of fame. Hopefully this doesn't get too confusing.
Only the top few nominees will be up for voting. Previously I think it's been four nominees. I'll let that be three or five or whatever if there is a clear cutoff between lots of seconds and a lot fewer seconds, but if there's no clear cutoff then it will be 4.

How to Participate
NOMINATIONS FOR DOTY ARE CLOSED, BUT NOMINATIONS FOR LIFETIME ARE STILL OPEN.

To nominate a football douchebag (for either contest), you must at a bare minimum post in this thread:
"Nomination," in BOLD. If you don't bold your post I might notice and count it, or I might not notice it and skip it, especially if it blends into the rest of the normal debate posts.
Name of the douchebag or group of douchebags.
Football Qualifications: how is this person or group related to football? Please don't just assume I know who this douchebag is. I especially don't know who most college football people are.
Describe the Douchebaggery: you should post some convincing argument or at least link to one or more articles or something that explains how this person or group is such a douchebag. Even if you think everyone must already know, just write a sentence or two that specifically points to one or more acts that will qualify them for this contest. I need this info in order to post the tournament brackets so keep that in mind.

To second a nomination (for either contest), make a post with the words "second" in bold and the name or names of whoever you are seconding.

Merely emptyquoting someone else is not a vote or second. I will not attempt to interpret why you emptyquoted someone because it can signify disagreement or ridicule as well as agreement. Emptyquoting is also against the forums rules. If you totally agree with someone you can quote them and say (in bold) "seconded" or similar and I'll count that.

Voting Rules
Once we have all the nominations and the tournament begins, everyone will get to vote.
VOTING HAS BEGUN HERE

As usual, when the matches begin, I will paste player bios (written by you the voters or halfassed by me if there are non available) and let people vote on one match at a time every two or three days. You will pick your preferred douche and you should give the best argument that you can for why they should win over the other douche.

Previously, Ben would weight peoples' votes on a scale of 1 to 5 depending on how much effort they put into their posts. Effortposts are great and important because they foster the debate that we should be having over who is the worst douchebag. However, the scale was pretty arbitrary and I found it hard to make rulings that I felt confident in. So this year I'm simplifying things thusly:

If you just post a vote for a candidate, that's worth 1 point.
If you make an effort to argue in favor or against a candidate along with your vote, that's worth 3 points.

That's it, that's the whole thing. Merely quoting someone else's argument is still only worth 1 point. You have to add something to the discussion, whether that's doing some googling and posting something someone said online or a news article or some tweets, or just writing a couple of sentences explaining your opinion, I will credit you with 3 points.

Furthermore unlike our former arbitrary tyrant BenHasTinyWeenus, I will post publicly how many points each vote got, so you can be sure that I am totally being fair.

Here is the 2016 Douchebag Tracker Thread, which is a good source of reminders of douchebaggery that occurred over the last year.

OK start your nominations.... now!

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Second post reserved for charts and graphs and so forth

Vote tracking spreadsheet

Voting on candidates for the Lifetime Achievement Awards begins here!

Here is the the completed playoff bracket for Douche of the Year, 2017:

Here are the Douche Hall of Fame nominees as of August 3rd:

And here is the final voting results:

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 11, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

iospace posted:

Brent Musberger for trying to redeem Joe Mixon.

Not to be the thread douchebag, but:

Leperflesh posted:

To nominate a football douchebag (for either contest), you must at a bare minimum post in this thread:
"Nomination," in BOLD. If you don't bold your post I might notice and count it, or I might not notice it and skip it, especially if it blends into the rest of the normal debate posts.
Name of the douchebag or group of douchebags.
Football Qualifications: how is this person or group related to football? Please don't just assume I know who this douchebag is. I especially don't know who most college football people are.
Describe the Douchebaggery: you should post some convincing argument or at least link to one or more articles or something that explains how this person or group is such a douchebag. Even if you think everyone must already know, just write a sentence or two that specifically points to one or more acts that will qualify them for this contest. I need this info in order to post the tournament brackets so keep that in mind.

I don't know who this guy is?

These other guys also didn't really follow the rules but I knew who brady, spanos, and cowherd are.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Which guy? Musberger or Mixon?

I suppose either way, Brent Musberger who I'll go ahead and second

Thanks for the writeup!

Zurreco posted:

I figure we are already going to have some obvious options like NCAA, Mark Emmert, Goodell, Kraft, Baylor, Penn State, Jimbo Fisher, Snyder, Rovell, Cowherd, SAS, etc, but it never hurts to list em.

I'm not counting these as Nominations, but since Grittybeard gave me a writeup for Mark Emmert, I counted you as Seconding him on that one. For the others, I'll want the minimum - a statement of why they were a douchebag this past year. It's fine if you'd rather leave that to someone else, though. I gave you credit for nominating the ones you wrote up in this post.

Sataere posted:

I'm not sure if I am pushing the boundaries of this, but I nominate Donald Trump

As a prominent person injecting his opinions into football, he's at least as impactful as any other random commentator, so I'll allow it. We will restrict Trump's douchebaggery to his football-related statements/actions, though - we'll have to disregard all the rest. Alllll the rest. There is so, so much we're disregarding here. A huge amount. Huuuge.

Sataere posted:

Seconded. I wrote a very detailed argument in last year's Hall of Fame thread, I believe. I will try to check archives for it after this dumb ER trip is over.

Last year's thread, for your convenience

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Not sure if he technically doesn't qualify or not, but Joe Mixon, for pretty obvious woman beating reasons.

I've provisionally entered it. But: he pled no contest (which is a type of guilty plea), was given a deferred sentence and 1000 hours of community service plus mandatory counseling, and has settled the later civil suit. Furthermore, the beating incident took place in 2014. So, can you describe any Mixon acts of douchebaggery that took place between last May and now, and for which he has not faced a legal punishment?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Eh, this is the spin Mixon's lawyers put on things but what actually happened was the court was going to compel the release of the video anyway and they tried to get out in front of things.

And even if you buy that utter bullshit I'd nominate everyone who watched that video and then talked about how women want equal rights but whine when they 'punch' first but there are too many to count. So the teaching moment thing has backfired as well.

Releasing the video could be considered douchebaggery, then? If so, did it happen during the last year? That'd be enough to qualify Mixon for nomination (and it would be up to the voters to decide how douchebaggy that was).

all-Rush mixtape posted:

This was all revealed in September, so I think it counts.

Sure.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Febreeze posted:

I feel like this thread always seems to forget him, so I want to make sure he gets at least one nomination. gently caress Jason Whitlock

Who is he and what did he do?

iospace posted:

Also nominating skip bayless

I hope I don't need to explain why.

You do, actually. Remember, I need a blurb to post for the matchups. You guys don't expect me to do all that work, do you?? :colbert:

Also specifically, what he did this past year.

Reminder to everyone, so far we only have two nominations for the lifetime achievement award. Those nominations will be open for a long time, but, it's a good thing to think about when nominating dudes who have been douchebags forever, perhaps like Skip Bayless.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yup good choice there, got it.

I think we've agreed that while Joe Mixon definitely beat up a woman, he hasn't qualified for this year, so I'm taking him out. Feel free to argue the point though if I've got this wrong.

Febreeze posted:

I feel like this thread always seems to forget him, so I want to make sure he gets at least one nomination. gently caress Jason Whitlock

I don't know who Jason Whitlock is or what he did.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cavauro posted:

i nominate the boy that was highly jacking off his dick like 25 feet from the cheerleaders during the chargers football game. because he did that. and i dont think his name was released or that he had to register. his shortened name could be: jacking off the dick man, or something elts.

edit:he did get fired though. Maybe that wraps it up. but he jacked.

Chargers Cheerleaders Jackoff Boy has been added. Got a link because lol I wanna read about this.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lol. Well he didn't even whip his dick out, which is what I was imagining, but also that is not a boy so I am gonna amend it to Chargers Cheerleader Jackoff Guard.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Concur.

Also Jed York, Bob Kraft, Bill Belichick

These guys have not been properly nominated. While they are all obviously jerks, I need someone to say how they were doucehbags during the past year. Or maybe nominate for lifetime, but again, need some statement of what they did.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK! He's in! I don't like his chances of advancing on ripping up a parking ticket, but it's within the time frame and he's a football man so that's all criteria met.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Here's our current list of nominees.

Brent Musberger
Colin Cowherd (lifetime award)
Dean Spanos and fam
Tom Brady
Ryan Pace
Martellus and Michael Bennett
Seattle Seahawks Defense
ESPN
Facebook, Amazon, and Twitter
Vontaze Burfict
Pacman Jones
Donald Trump
Mark Emmert
Patriots fans
Jamie Horowitz (lifetime award)
Trent Dilfer
Kyle Shanahan
Bruce Allen
Patriots social media manager
Mark Davis
Joe Mixon
Frank Clark
Chargers Front Office
Chuck Staben
Jason Whitlock
Skip Bayless (lifetime award)
Brock Osweiler
Clay Travis
Chargers Cheerleaders Jackoff Guard
Marvin Lewis
Penn State Fans (lifetime award)
The Cincinnati Bengals
Ladainian Tomlinson

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Alternately do not listen to Cavauro.

By the way Leper I intended to nominate Mark Emmert for the Lifetime award, although I'm sure we can dig up plenty he did this year if people don't want to do that for some reason.

Nah that's cool, I switched him to life

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Jed York deserves a lifetime nomination for Being Jed York, firing Harbaugh, and being Jed York.

Belichick and Bob Kraft: being generally evil and also Trump.

OK so, Jed York for life, Bill Belichick and Bob Kraft for DotY, right? As separate entries, or Belichick and Kraft together?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nystral posted:

I nominate for the HOF the horrible institution of "scholarly" achievement Florida State University for the following non-Jamies Winston reasons:

* Inconsistency in punishment of student athletes who were charged with felony crimes - Peter Warrick and Laverenous Coles both got caught ship lifting from a department store. Basically a clerk was in on it and gave them free clothes. Warrick at the time was the star player, potential Heisman candidate, and future Bengal got suspended. Coles? Booted from the team.

* The creation of the "Deon Sanders Rule" - PrimeTime Neon Deon Sanders basically said lol gently caress school and didn't attend classes or take his finals the entire fall semester prior to his star performance at the 1989 Sugar Bowl. The athletic department knew and didn't care until it came out afterwards and the state legislature had to make a law that basically says "if you want play in a bowl game you have to complete the fall term".

* Systematic Academic Fraud - 27 student athletes across 9 sports cheated on tests and quizzes for online courses they never "attended" but needed to maintain GPA. While not as expansive as the UNCLE issues, this is beyond the scope of just the football team.

These three things span the 80s, 90s, and 00s. FSU deserves your vote for the Hall of Fame because of a long standing tradition enshrining athletics over scholarship, stars over JAGs, and ensuring that even the simplest of athletes stay on the field. It is my hope that you'll agree and join me in recognizing the true degree of douchiness that FSU has strived for decades to achieve will finally be recognized by this esteemed body.

Now this right here is a top-notch nomination post.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So, nominations seem to have slowed way down. Here's the current list of DotY nominees, sorted by numbers of seconds:

Dean Spanos and fam
Tom Brady
Brent Musberger
Joe Mixon
Frank Clark
Brock Osweiler
Marvin Lewis
Vontaze Burfict
Pacman Jones
Patriots fans
Trent Dilfer
Bruce Allen
Patriots social media manager
Clay Travis
The Cincinnati Bengals
Ryan Pace
Seattle Seahawks Defense
ESPN
Donald Trump
Kyle Shanahan
Mark Davis
Chargers Front Office
Chuck Staben
Jason Whitlock
Ladainian Tomlinson
Tyler Eifert
Dre Kirkpatrick
Shawn Williams
Bill Belichick
Bob Kraft
Dave Caldwell

Only the first fifteen entries have any seconds: everyone from Ryan Pace on down have zero seconds. There's a total of 31 entries on the list, which I could definitely build a tournament out of, but I think it'd be cool to get the list narrowed down a bit by accumulating some more seconds. Alternatively, I can work with 32, so...

I hereby Nominate:

Darren Rovell, football "journalist" tweeter/commentator, for DotY, for this: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/bomani-jones-espn-darren-rovell-wonderlic-test-scores-shaming-nfl-draft
and then the follow up, in which he takes the test and admits he was full of poo poo without actually apologizing at all or admitting that outing players' scores (which are supposed to be confidential) was a lovely thing to do. http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/darren-rovell-wonderlic-condensed-version.html

And for icing on the cake, http://www.excellesports.com/news/skylar-diggins-calls-out-espns-darren-rovell/ in which Rovell I guess figured women's basketball doesn't count as a sport

probably a good argument could be made for Rovell to get a lifetime award?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 31, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alright, I've switched him to Life, and put both of you as Seconds.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

fsif posted:

Yeah. I'm nominating people who don't like Skip Bayless.

haha well you'll have to point to a Skip Bayless notliker that happened during the last year

CyberPingu posted:

As a throwaway id nominate the Sehawks Team for the lamest and douchiest display of "Solidarity" last year when Kaep was doing his BLM schtick

I thought it was just like one or two players on the seahawks?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I hereby Nominate "everyone who insisted Kaep insulted the troops" for Douchebag of the Year

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There are approximately 19 nomiations that have zero seconds. I don't really see a way to include some but not all of them into a tournament bracket without being arbitrarily tyrannical and just picking my own (basically by seconding some of them myself). My inclination is to be inclusive. Does anyone object?

I think we should wrap up nominations in the next day or two and move on to the tournament.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Here's the full sheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1X5QBQ5JQW6RmwEx_JWXQZM9LvAWTfHs3g5vBInfi6_E/edit?usp=sharing

Nominations for DotY with no seconds:

Ryan Pace
Seattle Seahawks Defense
Donald Trump
Kyle Shanahan
Mark Davis
Chargers Front Office
Chuck Staben
Jason Whitlock
Ladainian Tomlinson
Tyler Eifert
Dre Kirkpatrick
Shawn Williams
Bill Belichick
Bob Kraft
Dave Caldwell
"Sehawks Team"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Can I count nominating the entire Bengals organization as a 2nd for every bengal that doesn't have one?

Sure. But Burfict and Pacman both already have one second each. Did I miss anyone else?

e. Oh I did, Tyler Eifert and Dre Kirkpatrick and Shawn Williams. Goodness there are a lot of Bengals this year.

Zurreco posted:

I think that Frank Clark is technically part of the Seahawks Defense entry vis a vis their war with the media doing their jobs, but ok.

Is this a second, or are you suggesting I fold Clark in with "Sehawks Team" and/or Seahawks Defense?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 2, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Zurreco posted:

The latter, because it seems a little odd that a few players on the same defense are having comparable tiffs with the media for no reason. The two separate nominations can act as first and second, I guess?

Yeah probably makes sense to combine them.

Similarly,

Cavauro posted:

i forgot to also nominate Wallace Gilberry of those entire bEngals for rudely bullying deshaun watson out of a bama bar.

https://twitter.com/BarstoolClemson/status/847991057904267264

I'm on to you :crossarms:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Amy Pole Her posted:

I nominate LeperFlesh

For his very mean and rude burn on Time. He's barely been able to leave the house

He's now ignoring society!

Huh, I hand out so many sick burns I can't remember one in particular, can you link it or something?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Amy Pole Her posted:

Man now you're just taking victory laps!

that's what his mom said

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

For lifetime award, or for douche of the year? If the latter, what did they do this past year?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Should definitely go in the 2017 douchebag thread that someone needs to make.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, and also after the cutoff date, and pillsburysoldier didn't even second clay travis so lol

I'mma wrap up nominations for DotY today. Nominations for the lifetime douchechievement award continue.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

If someone nominated him for a football related reason (I'd assume he said something dumb about Kaep at least?) I'll second Clay Travis.

Also seconding Jason Whitlock since I somehow didn't before. And I was one of two guys on SA to sort of say he was all right a few years ago.

Here's sean10mm's nomination of Clay Travis.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Personally I think you should break up Seahawks D into the specific players:

Frank Clark threatened a reporter who did an article on domestic violence in the NFL specifically about JJ Hardy, and issued a lovely "sorry if you were offended" non-apology.

Michael Bennett snapped at a reporter after a playoff loss asking if said reporter had faced adversity in his life. Reporter was a cancer survivor. Bennett apologized privately to the request of the reporter, apparently.

Richard Sherman stopped doing his media chats and threatened to end a reporter's career. He's also been known to bitch at offensive coaches for questionable play calling.

Jarran Reed is known for playing dirty (he got ejected once for throwing a punch) and is the subject of a domestic violence investigation from an incident in April.

Personally I'd put it Frank Clark > Jarran Reed (he could get disqualified if he's charged) > Sherman > Bennett.

I could totally use this list as a set of nominations, sure. Since I didn't get around to closing the nominations yesterday (busy with work towards the end of the day).

sean10mm posted:

It's after the deadline, but LOL at Peyton Manning playing golf with Trump, when even Tom Brady had his wife tell him to stay away from Trump the good sense to bail on visiting the White House.

Dude uses his wife as an HGH mule "allegedly" and tried to ruin the career of the woman he sexually harassed in college, sounds like a perfect fit for Trump!
Someone really needs to start a new douchebag thread for 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alright kids, this time for realsies, NOMINATIONS FOR DOUCHEBAG OF THE YEAR ARE OVER

and now we have to do a mass elimination to get us down to a playoff bracket that is a power of two, and here's how we're gonna do it.

After including all nominees that got at least one second, we have six seed spots left open, and 11 nominees to fill them. So, we're gonna have an instant runoff round.

Please read through the 11 nominees and then rank them in order of your preference, with the first-ranked nominee being the one you think is the most douchebaggy, and the 11th-ranked one being the one you think is the least douchebaggy. This voting round will run for about two days, and at the end, I'll tally up the votes and seed the top six into the remaining six spots.

Unlike the rest of the tournament, you don't get extra voting points for your impassioned arguments; but you should make them anyway if you care at all about who gets in and who doesn't!

So without further ado, here are your 11 douchebag candidates:

Ryan Pace

Zurreco posted:

for actively and visibly trying to blow this year's draft. Knowing that he was on his way out, Pace refused to resign a bunch of good existing players, traded away a lot of the team's future picks to move up one (ONE) spot (that wasn't under contention) to pick up an unproven rookie QB after signing a veteran to a long deal, and using three of his remaining four draft picks to select players from lower division teams. He won't win, but gently caress Pace.

Zurreco posted:

for entering a bidding war for TNF games. Seriously, please kill off TNF so we don't have to complain about 4 days rest or watching the Cowboys lose again on national TV.

Kyle Shanahan

sean10mm posted:

I'm going to nominate Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, whose blundering playcalling gifted the Patriots their 5th Super Bowl. Then he tried to explain it away with the stupidest "We played that game the way we played the entire year" TEAM IDENTITY bullshit in the history of everything, and was promptly punished REWARDED with a 6 year contract to coach the 49ers.

Fun fact: After the Falcons went up 28-3, Shanahan called a grand total of 5 running plays. In a game where Devonta Freeman was averaging 6.8 yards per attempt. Matt Ryan was snapping the ball with half the play clock left at a point in the game where the whole point was to burn time. It was like watching a reverse Andy Reid choke job, where instead of taking 6 minutes to do a 2 minute drill, they take no minutes to eat a sack and then rush to get the next play so they can get a holding penalty... that puts them entirely out of range for what just seconds ago was a chip shot field goal to ice the game. It was idiocy on a colossal scale, and his justification was the weakest of weak tea rear end covering WE STAYED ON THE ATTACK WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT?! coachspeak :jerkbag: bullshit.

I'm glad the Falcons lost, but come on, what a dipshit that guy was.

Chargers Front Office

aperion posted:

That said, I'm going to also nominate the Chargers Front Office for causing the holdout of Joey Bosa, the very first rookie holdout since the 2011 CBA was agreed upon, showing that the Chargers are somehow able to gently caress up negotiations on something that's 98% structured already by said CBA. Link to some comments by John Spanos on the holdout.

Chuck Staben

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Oh, this happened a while back, but Chuck Staben, the President of the University of Idaho, for moving the Vandals down to FCS.

Lewiston Morning Tribune posted:

MOSCOW - In late April, the University of Idaho made a landmark NCAA decision, dropping its football program from the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) to the lower-tier Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) and effectively ending a 22-year run at the highest level of college football.
UI president Chuck Staben formally announced the school's intention to join the Big Sky Conference in a news conference on April 28, more than a month after the Sun Belt Conference chose not to re-up with the Vandals.
<ed: read the full article here

This was all revealed in September, so I think it counts.

Cavauro posted:

i nominate the boy that was highly jacking off his dick like 25 feet from the cheerleaders during the chargers football game. because he did that. and i dont think his name was released or that he had to register. his shortened name could be: jacking off the dick man, or something elts.

edit:he did get fired though. Maybe that wraps it up. but he jacked.

Ladainian Tomlinson

a neat cape posted:

for talking about how much he hated the Chargers moving and then immediately took a job as special counsel to noted rear end in a top hat Dean Spanos

Dave Caldwell

Shiki Dan posted:

I'm nominating Jaguars GM Dave Caldwell for the Douchiest response to drafting a player with multiple domestic assault incidents (of the many this year):

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2706607-nfl-draft-shows-the-league-is-still-clueless-about-domestic-violence

quote:

When asked if he was concerned about the public image of the Jaguars after picking such a controversial player, general manager Dave Caldwell told reporters (according to statements distributed by the team): "I think we have done our due diligence enough to realize that is behind him and that, like we said, all of those charges were dropped. I think we all have been accused of things, not all of us, but many of us have been accused of things. We don't take it lightly. Obviously it is a serious issue, and we just feel like at this point in time to give the kid a chance to make it right."
Well maybe since it was 4 years ago he has matured and changed, keeping himself out of trouble oh wait...

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...plaints-2012-13

quote:

Westbrook has twice been involved with police in his hometown of Cameron, Texas, in 2016.
Westbrook was arrested for trespassing on May 23. Westbrook was visiting the property resident's daughter, according to the police report, but all parties knew he was not allowed to be there because of a past altercation. Westbrook was subjected to racial slurs but remained cooperative and followed a patrol car to the sheriff's station, where he was booked into Milam County Jail for misdemeanor criminal trespassing.

"Sehawks Team"

CyberPingu posted:

As a throwaway id nominate the Sehawks Team for the lamest and douchiest display of "Solidarity" last year when Kaep was doing his BLM schtick

Richard Sherman

seiferguy posted:

Richard Sherman stopped doing his media chats and threatened to end a reporter's career. He's also been known to bitch at offensive coaches for questionable play calling.

Jarran Reed

seiferguy posted:

Jarran Reed is known for playing dirty (he got ejected once for throwing a punch) and is the subject of a domestic violence investigation from an incident in April.

And here's the full list in a convenient copy/paste format for you to rearrange in your voting post:

Ryan Pace
Kyle Shanahan
Chargers Front Office
Chuck Staben
Ladainian Tomlinson
Dave Caldwell
"Sehawks Team"
Richard Sherman
Jarran Reed

Vote!

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 7, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

12. Michael Bennett - The main reason he's here kinda got cleared up eventually, even if he was dumb about threatening to boycott a newspaper

Martellus and Michael Bennett - mistake in the list here, or did someone vote for them as brothers?

poo poo sorry, my fault. I had michael, and then also martellus and michael as a different nomination, but noticed it while compiling and combined them. That results in them effectively having a second, which got them an automatic seed.

But I forgot to remove them from the list at the bottom of the post.

I just fixed it, so, you should rank among just the 11 listed. You put Bennett at the bottom so I guess that's already fine :)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Six voters, lol.

Which of these methods should I use? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schulze_method#Comparison_table

I'm thinking the ranked-pairs method, if I can figure it out

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alright, that's two days. I'll tally the votes now.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK. I ran the vote using a basic "add up points" method, and got this result:
Dave Caldwell
Chargers Front Office
Richard Sherman
Jarran Reed
Ryan Pace
-------------------------------
Chuck Staben
Kyle Shanahan
Ladainian Tomlinson
"Sehawks Team"

Then I ran the same vote using several other methods - I assigned the candidates the letters A through K in the order above, so I could easily see if the results would differ. They basically don't. The calculator couldn't handle a ranked pairs vote with this many candidates but whatever.

So the six winners heading into the bracket are as shown above, seeded in that order.

Here's the playoff brackets, which you can see on the "elimination rounds" tab of the spreadsheet:

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 9, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MATCH 1: TRENT DILFER vs. BRUCE ALLEN

Trent Dilfer

Trent Farris Dilfer (born March 13, 1972) is a former American football quarterback who played 13 seasons in the National Football League. He is also a former NFL analyst for ESPN.

seiferguy posted:

(re: Kaep's protest):

quote:

“No matter how passionate you are, no matter how much of a burden you have for social issues, you don’t let it get in the way of the team. This is a backup quarterback whose job is to be quiet and sit in the shadows and get the starter ready to play in Week 1. Yet he chose a time where all of a sudden, he became the center of attention.”

In other words: keep quiet and know your place. I could talk about how much underlying racism there is here, but I think most of us can pick up on it. Then he went on that weird derail about how he could have used his position as a QB to speak out against child slavery but didn't because he didn't want to hurt his team :confused:

I also found this:
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/adam-schefter-trent-dilfer-feud-jimmy-garoppolo-trade-patriots/151kzfl8nuyc21qahbw7ypiyl4

quote:

Former NFL quarterback and ESPN NFL analyst Trent Dilfer suggested last week the Patriots brass were using Schefter as a mouthpiece with his statement that New England would receive a first-round pick and a fourth-rounder for Garoppolo.

Schefter fired back at his ESPN colleague on Tuesday, saying "nobody in New England has ever stated any price" for Garoppolo. He added that Dilfer's "promise" that no team would give up that much for the third-year quarterback is " factually incorrect."
"And again, facts will be used to correct Trent there, nobody in New England has ever stated any price to me on Jimmy Garoppolo and nobody has ever said to me, ‘Can you please put that out there so we can drum up the interest.’

"It’s amazing that somebody that I work with and respect as much as I do would say something like that."

Dilfer was among the first batch of employees recently axed as ESPN has radically cut staffing.

Bruce Allen

Bruce Allen is the team president of the Washington Redskins of the National Football League (NFL). Allen abdicated his title of general manager after the Redskins hired Scot McCloughan to be their general manager on January 7, 2015.

Cash Monet posted:

Bruce Allen for being a prick to a guy who was good at his job then drunk shaming him on the way out.
The whole situation in Washington has been a shitshow, but I'll leave it to others to describe Allen's douchebaggery in more detail.

Let me remind you all that the new voting rules are in effect:

Leperflesh posted:

Previously, Ben would weight peoples' votes on a scale of 1 to 5 depending on how much effort they put into their posts. Effortposts are great and important because they foster the debate that we should be having over who is the worst douchebag. However, the scale was pretty arbitrary and I found it hard to make rulings that I felt confident in. So this year I'm simplifying things thusly:

If you just post a vote for a candidate, that's worth 1 point.
If you make an effort to argue in favor or against a candidate along with your vote, that's worth 3 points.

That's it, that's the whole thing. Merely quoting someone else's argument is still only worth 1 point. You have to add something to the discussion, whether that's doing some googling and posting something someone said online or a news article or some tweets, or just writing a couple of sentences explaining your opinion, I will credit you with 3 points.

Start your voting!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cavauro posted:

Trent Dilfer because

in conclusion Trent Dilfer

that is a three-point response, because you did a search and found a pertinent quote!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Flikken posted:

Can I get a 2 point ?

3 pts

iospace posted:

Trent Dilfer. :effort:
1 pt

1 pt

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Zurreco posted:

Dilfer is a sanctimonious douche but he also got what was coming to him when he got fired. Also, he's worse than Bruce Allen but not 3 points worse.
3 pts

Laslow posted:

Trent Dilfer. It's 2017 and we still acknowledge his existence? How could this happen? I'm not exactly sure, but it's certainly a damning indictment of society as whole.
+3

fsif posted:

Bruce Allen
+1

Incoherence posted:

Trent Dilfer is not a DILF.
+1

Shangri-Law School posted:

Bruce Allen gets jealous of his own employees and smears their characters while firing them. What a douche.
+3

King Hong Kong posted:

Dilfer shouldn't cruise by on reputation. After all, didn't Bruce Allen try to argue that the term "Redskin" was an an expression of solidarity? Not to mention the whole Scot McCloughan story this year.
+3

seiferguy posted:

Can I just requote myself when I initially nominated Trent Dilfer and call it good?
+1. And nah, I think you'd need to add something more. I realize you already made an effort during nominations, but I think it's OK that the nominators of DotY candidates don't just get a free 3pt vote. The bar is very low for getting a 3pt vote anyway. :shrug:

Current tally is Dilfer 16 to Allen 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sataere posted:

I was sure I would vote for Allen, but then I remembered that Trent Dilfer literally said that he did not want to use his celebrity to bring national attention to the horrorific practice of human trafficking, because he was afraid that it could distract his multimillionaire coworker from the oh so important task of throwing a football to another multimillionaire teammate. All for the entertainment of dumb, entitled Americans sitting at home in clothes quite possibly made by said trafficked children, if those children were the lucky ones.

Magnetic North posted:

Trent Dilfer. Not only does Trent Dilfer suck, he officially sucks, based on this totally official statement.

hepcat posted:

Bruce Allen.

CyberPingu posted:

Ho boy Mike let me tell you about this guy named Dilfer. 'Round back in the turn of the century this guy let a generational D carry him to a SB and thinks he's hot poo poo. In truth gently caress this guy Mike. I've had bowel movements that have made tighter spirals than this guy.

sean10mm posted:

It looks like a dog pile but I'll just say Dilfer.

His hot takes have always been ice cold. Polar Express cold. Liquid nitrogen cold. He's never not been dumb as a pile of bricks. There were no "good old days before he got lovely" with him. The Kaepernick takes just add oblivious old white guy "not racist but" cherries those little hard constipation turd nuggets on top.

An oldie but goodie for the LOLs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFuffcVDKKg

TRENT DILFER WINS! By a fairly lopsided score of 29-8.

• Locked thread