Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'll second Cowherd for the lifetime achievement bracket.

I nominate Dean Spanos for attempting to hold a city hostage, for screwing his first round draft pick for the pettiest poo poo in his contract, and for being Dean Spanos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Leperflesh posted:

I don't know who this guy is?

These other guys also didn't really follow the rules but I knew who brady, spanos, and cowherd are.

Which guy? Musberger or Mixon?

I suppose either way, Brent Musberger who I'll go ahead and second was a long time football broadcaster (he retired this year) and kinda drunk old dad type. He's actually normally fairly likeable if you can get past stuff like creeping on women in the crowd--he would just not shut the hell up about AJ McCarron's girlfriend back when he was at Alabama.

Joe Mixon is an Oklahoma football player who was drafted this year, he sat out his freshman season because he knocked a woman the gently caress out, breaking bones and generally really screwing her up. Video of this incident was finally released this year and it's pretty awful. Mixon never apologized until right before the bowl game for this incident, although he claims his lawyers wouldn't let him.

Here's the first part of things:

https://twitter.com/mikefinger/status/816117069859196928?ref_src=twsrc

Later on in the game after things blew up on social media and someone told him he might want to restate that he basically doubled down.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'll second Mark Emmert, President of the NCAA for the Hall of Fame.

I don't want to look up everything he's done right now, but he's basically made a career out of being very douchy about college athletes receiving any benefits other than an education (which is even more significantly unfortunate if you were recruited to, say, North Carolina as an athlete).

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 24, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Zurreco posted:

and then agreed to release the video of the incident to use as a teaching moment and to shut up everyone that was blaming the girl. I think he gets a pass.

Eh, this is the spin Mixon's lawyers put on things but what actually happened was the court was going to compel the release of the video anyway and they tried to get out in front of things.

And even if you buy that utter bullshit I'd nominate everyone who watched that video and then talked about how women want equal rights but whine when they 'punch' first but there are too many to count. So the teaching moment thing has backfired as well.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Alternately do not listen to Cavauro.

By the way Leper I intended to nominate Mark Emmert for the Lifetime award, although I'm sure we can dig up plenty he did this year if people don't want to do that for some reason.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah, and also after the cutoff date, and pillsburysoldier didn't even second clay travis so lol

If someone nominated him for a football related reason (I'd assume he said something dumb about Kaep at least?) I'll second Clay Travis.

Also seconding Jason Whitlock since I somehow didn't before. And I was one of two guys on SA to sort of say he was all right a few years ago.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 5, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
1. Dave Caldwell --easily the douchiest in the runoff, yeah who hasn't been accused of these things multiple times?
2. Richard Sherman - kinda went off the rails last year lashing out at coaches and the press, maybe hates his very good quarterback. I mean for understandable reasons on the last bit, but still.
3. Chargers Cheerleaders Jackoff Guard - The saddest douche, but a douche
4. Chargers Front Office - Kinda goes along with Spanos, but I can buy that they're their own problem
5. Jarran Reed - Hitting people is bad, hitting your GF or whatever is worse. The DV thing has been super quiet so far though, I have no idea how much there is to it?
6. Chuck Staben - I'd rank him higher but I'm not entirely sure it isn't in the Vandals best interest to drop down to FCS. I mean have you seen the Kibbie Dome?
7. Facebook, Amazon, and Twitter - Companies gonna company

-- Here's where I don't think people deserved to be considered

8. "Seahawks Team" - Oh god their statement was so weak, but not bad enough for me to want to vote for them.
9. Ryan Pace - Being a bad GM on its own isn't enough, I need some proof that he's blowing things up on purpose or over the top bad in other ways
10. Kyle Shanahan - Wanted to rate him higher because of his last name (douche-nepotism?). He ran a highly successful offense all year and called a bad half though.
11. Ladainian Tomlinson - I guess it's kinda slimy from a certain viewpoint, but this is an SA2K issue mostly imo
12. Michael Bennett - The main reason he's here kinda got cleared up eventually, even if he was dumb about threatening to boycott a newspaper

Martellus and Michael Bennett - mistake in the list here, or did someone vote for them as brothers?

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 7, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sean10mm posted:

:ssh: The dirty secret of Pats fans is that the old ones like me that remember the bad times are actually the worst, because we feel 100% entitled to poo poo on the universe forever because we had that one 1-15 season under Rod Rust/saw the Super Bowl XX snuff film as babies/take your pick. The film they show at Patriots Hall of Fame is like a modern Trumph of the Will built on this idea.

Oh god you made it to the Super Bowl and lost when you were barely old enough to remember?

gently caress you, gently caress Pats fans.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Too close to reality to be funny is the problem.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Incoherence posted:

Donald Trump is a megadouche but his football douche credentials are marginal.

Pacman Jones is a Football Douche.

iospace covered it but his football douche credentials are pretty solid, they just happened 30ish years ago. So I guess they shouldn't count for this vote. He's so proud of winning that lawsuit though (with triple damages because of anti-trust laws the USFL was awarded 3 whole dollars).

So I guess Pac Man. I don't think he's as widely hated as Zurreco seems to think but whatever, he gets my vote this round.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I know who the man is and his past (which largely isn't eligible for this contest), but thanks for the link that includes articles about Manny Pacquiao and the actual pac man game and says nothing about how the league as a whole hates him.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Vontaze is a jerk in a bad matchup since he just can't be douchy enough to stand up to Mark Davis.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
ESPN is a bigger problem than one team that only AFC North fans should have a reason to vote for here.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Probably won't happen but I think Clay Travis has an outside shot at this whole thing. The main problem is so much of his race baiting bullshit is about things other than football.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Don't like voting for large disparate groups much but, gotta get the Bengals out so this thing can get to real matchups.

People who insisted Kaep disrespected the troops.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I wonder if Cavauro's long con was making us so sick of dumbass Bengals entrants that no one would vote for a legit one? Marvin Lewis is absolutely worthy of a vote, he doesn't believe in concussions, he hates celebrations, he has terrible opinions on a hell of a lot of things.

Well if it was, it worked. Bob Kraft.

~~Andey

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Leperflesh posted:

Definitely not what happened. That specific reporter asked him a fairly bland question about whether he thought the Seattle defense performed well. Bennett then went on an increasingly loud and belligerent monologue directed at that one reporter.

He didn't know that reporter was a cancer survivor though (which was the part that made headlines) and later apologized to him privately, which the reporter apparently accepted. If I remember right his boycott of the paper happened the same way, he was reacting to a story someone wrote slamming him but mainly saying he should apologize. Once the guy who wrote the story learned that he did apologize he apologized to Bennett and I believe everyone's cool with each other now? I don't know if they are or not, here's the second reporter's apology at least though.

I think most things Bennett are people making too much out of not a whole lot/getting hot in a press conference. Christ I want more players to publicly get angry about things, coachspeak makes the game a lot less fun to follow. I don't know if Brock is a much stronger candidate but he did throw a hissy fit at halftime in some game because Bill O'Brien didn't trust him to play quarterback while he was playing like absolute poo poo. So I'll vote Brock.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This one is close for me, I'm leaning Caldwell for now but might be swayed. If I decide to change my vote I'll edit this post out and make a new one with my vote.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I was just about to post, but was only going to post Belichick since I don't feel strongly about the matchup, so it wouldn't have changed the outcome.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I had never heard of Travis before this poll however I have heard of and from Patriots Fans and their bandwagon for more than a decade. gently caress them.

On the other hand I have heard of Colin Cowherd wannabe Clay Travis. He's just as race baiting and hot take bullshit writing, just luckily doesn't have the same platform. His Kaep takes are listed, I could probably find more terrible football takes but what I remember off the top of my head recently is him being very offended by the idea of Lebron not liking the word 'posse' being used to describe his friends. Like, offended to the point where he was 'no longer a fan' of the man. Pats fans are bad but the ones without actual media presence are easy to ignore.

This wasn't this year so doesn't count for this particular contest but he also wrote a book called Man: the Book which is just a list of numbered broisms. A small sampling:

https://twitter.com/TheAuburner/status/484883318702235648/photo/1

And here's a rape joke for fun:

https://twitter.com/TheAuburner/status/498124102134431745/photo/1

Clay Travis suuuuuuucks.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Zurreco posted:

Clay Travis is another point of fact that being a huge douche gets you rewarded with exposure, thereby promoting the idea that being a douche is acceptable.

This is a good point I hadn't considered, or at least hadn't thought about enough to convey. Clay just absolutely exudes douchiness. It drips from his pores. He's the aging frat bro version of Darren Rovell as douches go, which is about as high of praise for douches as I can come up with.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eli Wiggum posted:

Biggest blowout in the tournament?

Someone got shut out a couple of votes ago I think.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah I'll give Dilfer another vote because he is a Kaep Person. On top of everything else Trent Dilfer.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'd totally forgotten about it until someone brought it up here but the whole "I was really passionate about fighting childhood slavery but because I was a backup quarterback I could not speak out about it" thing is the most amazing Dilferism.

I'm sure it would have torn the locker room apart, with all of the pro-human trafficking people hanging around the NFL.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Zurreco posted:

Neither. You've pitted two men too stupid to be douchey against eachother. All Brock wants to do is be tall and all Mark wants to do is play office at the PF Changs bar.

You're all monsters.

e: Also, gently caress Metapod.

I'll agree that the 'Mark Davis is actually good' thing TFF has going on recently is terrible, or at least terribly misguided.

But Mark Davis is surprisingly competent I can kind of buy. Maybe, perhaps probably, he fell rear end backward into the whole thing. But in the end he screwed over Vegas taxpayers, played chicken with Sheldon Adelson and won somehow, and now gets a ridiculous stadium that he can use to make money from stupid gamblers, UNLV, basically everyone. With what sure as hell seems to be a better deal than he would have had with Adelson. Plus he gets to leave O.Co. I mean that's a damned nice run he's got going on.

It's also an incredibly douchy run. So Mark Davis.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Some guys are douches. Other guys are assholes. A douche is not the same thing as an rear end in a top hat. Aaron Hernandez was an rear end in a top hat which is why he was never eligible for Douche of the Year. Then there are the rare assholes who are also douches. Frank Clark is one of those.

Yeah, some guys might try to keep their nose clean and maybe even make amends after a particularly terrible incident where they beat the poo poo out of their girl and get off scot free. Not Frank Clark, he's out there doing work.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I don't think anyone is going to take my vote away from Whitlock here but I'll wait to see some arguments.

This is coming from one of a total of two goons who kinda like him a few years ago since his podcast was funny.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Grittybeard posted:

I don't think anyone is going to take my vote away from Whitlock here but I'll wait to see some arguments.

Yeah, this didn't happen.

Jason Whitlock.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'll vote for Tom Brady here, his snake oil business alone is enough for him to be a douche worthy of a vote (let alone everything else Brady) and the Spanos family is a separate nomination that covers most of the problems I have with the Chargers.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Tom Brady

The Chargers front office personnel not named Spanos are fine, and the Spanos clan are represented elsewhere

This should basically be the definitive word on the subject around here.

I think SA2K even likes Brady.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The Spanos family.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Solely based on what they've done in this current year I'll vote for Clay Travis. Frank Clark is repugnant and his dumbass threatening a reporter is admittedly horrible, but Clay continuously uses his platform to push his racist and sexist bullshit.

The whole thing with praising American Airlines for beating up the doctor who wouldn't give up his seat for some employee and then whining because Delta wouldn't let his lice infected kid fly is pretty impressive by itself, and that was just a few days ago.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Tom Brady for reasons I can't really articulate.

I guess Mark Davis really sucks but doesn't scream douche to me the same way Brady does.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Dean Spanos + all the other Spanoses.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Incoherence posted:

Jason Whitlock is not only a Kaep hater, he's the "black pundit" that a bunch of chucklefucks get to cite as evidence that they're not being racist when they hate on Kaepernick's protest.

It's so much worse than just the Kaep issue. Like, anytime anyone needs a big black man to come apologize for whitey Jason's there.

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/888560422621728769/photo/1

It's a shame he's gone insane, although he was never all there. His podcast where he had his barber just going off on Tebow for like 45 minutes is still one of the funnier podcast things I've ever heard.

e: Oops I didn't vote, Jason Whitlock.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Clay Travis is degenerate slime. It's nice for those of you who haven't heard of him outside of this thread (and I envy you) but many of those Kaep people you all seem to hate? He normalizes their opinions and spouts specious arguments for them to repeat, that generously skirt the line with flat out racism. The most dog whistly bullshit to ever dog whistle. Not that he's a one trick pony, he's all about misogyny too!

I suppose this isn't sports related but consider this because it's absolutely amazing, he had an opportunity to get a much bigger show on FS1 but one of the conditions was he'd have to stop talking politics. The man's opinions are too toxic for a company that employs Jason Whitlock and Colin Cowherd.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

pillsburysoldier posted:

Yeah Clay Travis and Jason Whitlock aren't all that important, and their rhetoric/efforts don't matter. The fanbases don't actually listen to them, and their talk doesn't end up in the football zeitgeist

I will add another protest vote for Jason Whitlock in memory of Clay Travis's unfortunate exit in favor of a relatively milquetoast douche.

I mean, hell, Jason deserves to not have this be a complete blowout anyway. The man puts in a lot of work douching around.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'll second Jed York and PSU Fans.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CyberPingu posted:

I thought the reason that PSU fans were in there was due to the whole "trying to cover up/make light of raping kids" and then trying to put the Joey Pat statue back up.

This is pretty much it, at least a sizable portion of Penn State fans have attempted to minimize the damage to the football team in favor of ignoring kids that were raped and revere all things Paterno, which is pretty douchey. If it's insulting to someone who likes Penn State and isn't one of those people trust that we're talking about them and not you. Also shame the gently caress out of these people when you meet them.

Trump's stuff will probably mostly get political votes, but man he was awful about all the USFL stuff for the people old enough to remember it. So an ok candidate that will probably go nowhere...hmm...well probably go nowhere in this particular contest. I think. Who knows these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Do people just not know who Jamie Horowitz is? He's the Darkseid of modern sports media.

I do know who he is and just skimmed over his name. He deserves a second at the very least, so seconding Jamie Horowitz.

• Locked thread