Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
The Douche Tracker thread is kinda slim pickings this year, but a couple nominations from there:

Dean Spanos:

aperion posted:

Just so no one forgets details months down the line:
-relocated a franchise to a market that doesn't want them
-fired their defensive coordinator via social media
-they spent a year on this?
-got their asses kicked in negotiating to use a 27k-seat stadium...by MLS
-relocated the same year LaDanian Tomlinson is eligible for the Hall of Fame, making that one awkward. Less of a douchey move, more douchey timing. Wait, no it's still both.
-burned every last bridge with San Diego and its fans in the process.

Trent Dilfer:

seiferguy posted:

Trent Dilfer (re: Kaep's protest):

quote:

“No matter how passionate you are, no matter how much of a burden you have for social issues, you don’t let it get in the way of the team. This is a backup quarterback whose job is to be quiet and sit in the shadows and get the starter ready to play in Week 1. Yet he chose a time where all of a sudden, he became the center of attention.”
In other words: keep quiet and know your place. I could talk about how much underlying racism there is here, but I think most of us can pick up on it. Then he went on that weird derail about how he could have used his position as a QB to speak out against child slavery but didn't because he didn't want to hurt his team :confused:

Also seconding Brent Musberger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I'll second Mark Davis for being the second-worst owner to move his team this year.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Dave Caldwell
Chargers Cheerleaders Jackoff Guard
Richard Sherman
Jarran Reed
Kyle Shanahan
Chargers Front Office
Chuck Staben
Facebook, Amazon, and Twitter
Ladainian Tomlinson
Ryan Pace
"Sehawks Team"

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Laslow posted:

Trent Dilfer. It's 2017 and we still acknowledge his existence? How could this happen? I'm not exactly sure, but it's certainly a damning indictment of society as whole.
Trent Dilfer is not a DILF.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Donald Trump is a megadouche but his football douche credentials are marginal.

Pacman Jones is a Football Douche.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Part of the reason the Oakland taxpayers didn't want to give Mark Davis money is that they're still paying for the last set of renovations to the Coliseum from when the Raiders moved back to Oakland, but even if that weren't the case, taxpayer-funded stadium deals are falling out of vogue and Oakland has plenty of better things to spend that money on. And yeah, Mark Davis is outrageously unattractive. But neither of those things are particularly relevant to the competition.

Burfict is a tool, but he's not a tool that moved his team to Las loving Vegas.

Mark Davis

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
This one's tough, since they're both faceless organizations with a lot of possible things to talk about, but the Bengals seem to me like they did more douchey things this year.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
They're kind of both in here for "supporting Donald Trump in the election", but Bill Belichick 's "five weeks behind" comment tips it over slightly for me. Also Eifert is a nobody and Belichick is the coach of one of the most successful teams in the league.

Granted, Nick Saban said the same thing a few years ago about the CFP, but that makes it worse because it's not even an original comment.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Professional Hot Takes Man Clay Travis in a rout.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Protest vote for Shawn Williams because he's not a faceless amorphous group.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
gently caress to Bob Kraft and all Patriots and all NFL team owners.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Ock Brosweiler for whining about being benched, I guess.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
People like Dave Caldwell and his "that happened an eternity ago" response are the reason people like Frank Clark keep existing.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Raku posted:

Brent Musberger was sexist in a thoroughly harmless manner years ago. The only douche thing he did this year was say we should give a second chance to an actual rear end in a top hat (who we already purged from the tournament) who the league (Bengals) were clearly going to let pass anyway.
We purged Mixon from the tournament largely because his douche actions happened more than a year ago and are thus ineligible for this year's tournament (and he wasn't well known at the time, so I don't think he made that year's field). A sportscaster taking time out of the middle of a competitive, nationally-televised bowl game (twice!) to try to redeem Mixon is something different; there was no need for Musberger to go to such lengths (because inevitably someone was going to draft him anyway).

Besides, Sherman's antics are starting to amuse me, so Brent Musberger it is.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Whitlock is exactly the kind of Hot Take Machine that is killing sports media.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

The Mattybee posted:

Seriously, guys.

Patriots fans may be douches in the context of sports fandom. They might even be douches outside of sports fandom - but I can't say that about every single Pats fan. We have some cool and good Pats fans on here, even! By and large I'd say they're douchey, yeah. But seriously - look at loving Clay Travis. It's not just that he's a racist, sexist douche - it's that that is his career. His entire being is douche. He gets paid to be a douche and write about how he's a douche and be lovely to other people. He's not just a douche, he enables other douchery because for some reason there are dumbasses who take this shithead seriously.

This shouldn't even be a contest.
Also Clay Travis is an actual human being and not a nebulous cloud.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I'm not sure I've ever heard Trent Dilfer say something insightful. He and Clay Travis can be avatars for the Kaepernick haters club if he advances.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Brock is a goofball but Mark Davis hosed over the city of Oakland for, what, the third time now? Also that picture makes me cringe every time I see it.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
The Spanos family moving to LA so that they could move into a 27,000 seat MLS stadium is the funniest goddamn thing.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Clay Travis does this poo poo for the attention.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Zurreco posted:

but only because I still don't think Mark Davis was all that douchey. He was pretty up front that he wasn't gonna stay in Oakland and, aside from jobbing a known jobber in Sheldon Adelson, played the financing thing pretty par for the course.
Mark Davis is moving his team out of a stadium and a city which is still paying for the last set of renovations, which his father demanded to move the team back to Oakland in the first place, and didn't seem all that interested in listening to proposals for Oakland stadium projects anyway; he basically announced the move before he had actual funding (because the Adelson deal fell through).

I don't have any great love for Tom Brady, but don't sell Davis short here.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

PostNouveau posted:

Spanos family slumlords, failson, owned by MLS team, etc. etc.
Yup. Clan Spanos.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Skwirl posted:

I wonder if Galaxy fans are going to complain about the Chargers loving up the field, there's gotta be more Galaxy fans in LA than Chargers fans, and I know A's fans would bitch about sharing the stadium with the Raiders whenever the A's made the postseason.
I don't think the NFL postseason runs long enough to interfere with the MLS season, and it's not quite as bad as the A's/Raiders dynamic because both sports are just played on grass (as opposed to the baseball diamond in the middle of the Coliseum for half the Raiders' season).

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Jason Whitlock is not only a Kaep hater, he's the "black pundit" that a bunch of chucklefucks get to cite as evidence that they're not being racist when they hate on Kaepernick's protest.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Grittybeard posted:

Clay Travis is degenerate slime. It's nice for those of you who haven't heard of him outside of this thread (and I envy you) but many of those Kaep people you all seem to hate? He normalizes their opinions and spouts specious arguments for them to repeat, that generously skirt the line with flat out racism. The most dog whistly bullshit to ever dog whistle. Not that he's a one trick pony, he's all about misogyny too!

I suppose this isn't sports related but consider this because it's absolutely amazing, he had an opportunity to get a much bigger show on FS1 but one of the conditions was he'd have to stop talking politics. The man's opinions are too toxic for a company that employs Jason Whitlock and Colin Cowherd.
I also feel like Brady's case this year is kinda weak. He's a perennial candidate because he whines so goddamn much, but Clay Travis's hits just keep on coming.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I really do think Jason Whitlock's "right-wing America's black friend" act is worthy of the crown, but what put Team Spanos over the top for me is that not only did they screw over a city, they did it incompetently, and now they have the exciting task of building a fanbase in a city that doesn't really want them and a 27k seat MLS stadium.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Tom Brady is a HOF candidate and will keep whining in future years, but I really don't think he's done that much this year.

Clan Spanos both had an excellent year of douchery (see Zurreco's effortpost) and will (hopefully) not be back next year, much like Kroenke this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Hunt11 posted:

PSU fans For representing the absolute worst aspects of a fan base.
Every time Penn State fans get an opportunity to downplay or excuse their sacred saint's behavior, they take it. gently caress them.

• Locked thread