Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Blow posted:

This is what happened when posted in FYAD.

Cunts can't take a joke.

Hahaha, you got owned by my wheelhouse. How the gently caress does someone let that happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:fyadride:

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

This is the 3rd best post itt

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

I seem to remember that the Cumulus Clouds incident led to a whole host of bans and other mod actions for anyone getting too vocal about it, but I guess nobody much cares anymore now that it happened nearly a decade ago and nobody's been sued. Not a lot survives about what happened and how, but these two accounts from Wikipedia people trying to reconstruct what happened sort of get the gist of it:

http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showtopic=35697
http://wikipediocracy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2421

Between that and the dissolution of LF two years later a huge chunk of the resulting exodus was what eventually went on to populate Twitter and Tumblr.

This is why typical Tumblr posts have the irony and passive-agressiveness-drenched lowercase "fyad voice" that is instantly familiar to anyone who's been around this forum for long enough. The style spread like wildfire over there, with dozens of teens who never clicked on this site in their life imitating it exactly.

Twitter's 140-character limit also lended itself very well to people who were very used to communicating in the lazy, shorthand, nuclear-tipped manner that FYAD was famous for. It was more FYAD than FYAD could ever be, with a planetary audience far beyond "the pink forum".

naem
May 29, 2011

this website is responsible for like, a LOT of the internet (sorry the internet)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

When you stop and think about it, I mean really think about it, it reeeeally makes you think.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

papa_november posted:

I seem to remember that the Cumulus Clouds incident led to a whole host of bans and other mod actions for anyone getting too vocal about it, but I guess nobody much cares anymore now that it happened nearly a decade ago and nobody's been sued. Not a lot survives about what happened and how, but these two accounts from Wikipedia people trying to reconstruct what happened sort of get the gist of it:

Between that and the dissolution of LF two years later a huge chunk of the resulting exodus was what eventually went on to populate Twitter and Tumblr.

This is why typical Tumblr posts have the irony and passive-agressiveness-drenched lowercase "fyad voice" that is instantly familiar to anyone who's been around this forum for long enough. The style spread like wildfire over there, with dozens of teens who never clicked on this site in their life imitating it exactly.

Twitter's 140-character limit also lended itself very well to people who were very used to communicating in the lazy, shorthand, nuclear-tipped manner that FYAD was famous for. It was more FYAD than FYAD could ever be, with a planetary audience far beyond "the pink forum".

Lol

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

papa_november posted:

i am going to jack you off and suck your dick, turning you gay on account of how pleasurably i do it

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

papa_november posted:

FYAD was very much the Tumber of the 00's.

Green Hill Friendzone
Oct 27, 2013

I feel like the ppl on FYAD are probably cool, but also "too cool for school," if you feel me.

Peace

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
You know those kids from that episode of community who say nothing but duh and shmitty? Its basically them except on the internet.

Its just the pretty standard look how little i care you care so much lol i dont care what a loser sort of stuff

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Fyad is the bobobo of the forums

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Lol remeber when fyad whined about dgsw because he hosed with their flags thing, whatever that is

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
We should bully fyad more often

Those spindly dorks need to know who's boss around here (not them)

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

unpacked robinhood posted:

Lol remeber when fyad whined about dgsw because he hosed with their flags thing, whatever that is

They whined about how he was using their system as intended, and he got PERMABANNED for it, iirc.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

lmbo

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

pog boyfriend posted:

fyad is basically a forum where me and a few of my friends in toronto who share an apartment together just kind of took over once docevil and all of the actually funny posters left for twitter, and all we do really in between sitting around tribes is going around on our alternate accounts and emptyquoting each other when really there are only 7 posters on the site. we think it is really funny when you guys take the forum seriously, but i think it is time to end this charade personally. sorry keith, adam, kathy, and wally, but this has gone on for far too long. i will explain everything when you guys get back from your shifts if you see this before then

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Lol remember when he got permabanned for it and a bunch of babies like you are still melting down about it

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
What if GBS posters were automatically mods of fyad and could dish out probos to the pink posters as they saw fit

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

SpaceClown posted:

What if GBS posters were automatically mods of fyad and could dish out probos to the pink posters as they saw fit

yes, a final solution to the FYAD problem :3:

poopy pee pee
Feb 13, 2012

I'm a nice guy, hoping to have some fun on these forums, Lol

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Does docevil still post in fyad

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

i like that posted:

Does docevil still post in fyad

no, nobody does.

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

no, nobody does.

How about Anne Frank Fanfiction? The goon who bullied a goon, a guy known to be really mentally unwell, to suicide? And got a real thrill from it.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

i like that posted:

How about Anne Frank Fanfiction? The goon who bullied a goon, a guy known to be really mentally unwell, to suicide? And got a real thrill from it.

Now there's a post history to rehash endlessly :haw:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

i like that posted:

Do you have a link please?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Do you have a link please?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2210

quote:

Posted by anne frank fanfic on July 1, 2010

I killed him

Lol

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

that was 7 years ago when docevil still posted, though. that anne frank guy sounds like a great fella, though. :discourse:

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

papa_november posted:

I seem to remember that the Cumulus Clouds incident led to a whole host of bans and other mod actions for anyone getting too vocal about it, but I guess nobody much cares anymore now that it happened nearly a decade ago and nobody's been sued. Not a lot survives about what happened and how
what the gently caress, it's Wikipedia, every detail survives if you're motivated enough to click on a few links, like the ones in the pages you just linked to. Cumulus Clouds used a sockpuppet to try and get AFF banned from Wikipedia, as revenge for being chased out of fyad a few years earlier after being a really unpopular fyad idiot king. When some admins requested a checkuser on CC's sock to try and figure out wtf he was talking about, CC shut down his user page and killed himself rather than be publicly disgraced by ArbCom and having his editing privileges revoked.

If that doesn't sound like something a normal person would actually do then well, yeah.

i like that posted:

That's what I'd been told had happened too, but I think wikipedia talk page drama can be interesting so I looked up the actual incident and it's a lot more tragicomic than that. CC was stalking AFF, he'd been lurking in fyad and compiling some secret revenge dossier for months, but couldn't handle the shame of getting caught sockpuppeting. He had some problems.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
Fyad is the only funny subforum.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Ty Peppar shot himself in the rear end.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
FYAD is still pretty funny

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I enjoyed posting in the 'yad. You could say it was some good times. I did not post to gain notoriety or e-cred, but for fun. Day Crew was great shitposting. Ultimately I stopped, but I am pretty sure that my postcount is still negative as we speak, a whole decade later.

edit: Wow. Yeah, still at -378 as of this post. That took a long loving time.

UncleMoeLester
Oct 25, 2016

Midget Fiddler
Lipstick Apathy
It's hell

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

ArfJason posted:

Ty Peppar shot himself in the rear end.

he died of it. rip.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Gbs now is basically a less funny version of fyad from the mid 2000s, so imagine fyad noticing that and the logical direction they'd take to get away from it. It's cool to post with capital letters and punctuation and be helpful and caring now.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Why did you post your resume :confused:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit posted:

As a frequent FYAD poster I can tell you that FYAD is meant to be experienced, not discussed.

So jump on in and introduce yourself- I'm sure you'll make some lifelong friends

gently caress you you've never even posted in FYAD :gb2gbs:

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Syd Midnight posted:

what the gently caress, it's Wikipedia, every detail survives if you're motivated enough to click on a few links, like the ones in the pages you just linked to.
It is a living hell trying to piece together what happened from FYAD archives, but that's just how FYAD works. The fact that people were hush-hush about it back around the time when it happened made me think that there was a little more to it than what the Wikipedia people knew, but I guess not.

A lot of the people who abandoned FYAD for Twitter and Tumblr alluded to the Cumulus Clouds incident as this horrible atrocity that made them rethink everything and so forth. I'm willing to bet that a lot of the attitudes towards bullying, mental illness and such that were adopted by that crowd weren't so much the product of genuine regret and introspection as they were the result of shame and embarrassment over the whole thing.

Slow-Scan Shep fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
FYAD is good

• Locked thread