Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

papa_november posted:

I seem to remember that the Cumulus Clouds incident led to a whole host of bans and other mod actions for anyone getting too vocal about it, but I guess nobody much cares anymore now that it happened nearly a decade ago and nobody's been sued. Not a lot survives about what happened and how
what the gently caress, it's Wikipedia, every detail survives if you're motivated enough to click on a few links, like the ones in the pages you just linked to. Cumulus Clouds used a sockpuppet to try and get AFF banned from Wikipedia, as revenge for being chased out of fyad a few years earlier after being a really unpopular fyad idiot king. When some admins requested a checkuser on CC's sock to try and figure out wtf he was talking about, CC shut down his user page and killed himself rather than be publicly disgraced by ArbCom and having his editing privileges revoked.

If that doesn't sound like something a normal person would actually do then well, yeah.

i like that posted:

How about Anne Frank Fanfiction? The goon who bullied a goon, a guy known to be really mentally unwell, to suicide? And got a real thrill from it.
That's what I'd been told had happened too, but I think wikipedia talk page drama can be interesting so I looked up the actual incident and it's a lot more tragicomic than that. CC was stalking AFF, he'd been lurking in fyad and compiling some secret revenge dossier for months, but couldn't handle the shame of getting caught sockpuppeting. He had some problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

papa_november posted:

What gets me here is how neither AFF nor those who were around him seem to feel much responsibility towards their actions. AFF went after someone who (as it turned out) was severely mentally ill and basically became the straw that broke the camel's back.

But AFF (who I believe displayed the appropriate amount of grief for a goon killing themselves over their wikipedia privileges) wasn't going after the mentally ill guy, the mentally ill guy was going after AFF, trying to expose his identity and get his wikipedia editing privileges revoked, as revenge for having been kicked out of fyad for being the wrong kind of mentally ill. That's how much his life revolved around editing wikipedia. However, using a sockpuppet account to out other users is a much more severe wikipedia infraction than occasional vandalism, and the inquiry into his accusations would have inevitably led to a loss of his own editing privileges and barnstars, whch is what ultimately led to his suicide. It was actually the harsh wheels of Wikipedia justice that not-exactly-murdered a mentally ill guy, and Cumulus Clouds was far from their first victim, as many ex-Wikipedians can attest. If he had simply used his own account while disclosing that he was an ex-mod of fyad, or had at least posted anonymously from a public IP, tragedy would have been avoided.

In any case it worked, AFF's Wikipedia account was blocked despite having been used for many constructive edits, and AFF was thereby consigned to the very fate that Cumulus Clouds himself considered worse than death. Hoist by his own petard, Cumulus Clouds became Wikipedias first suicide doxxer.

Syd Midnight fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 28, 2017

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

ps. I finally found an answer to the op:

Grandmother of Five posted:

2016 fyad: hitler is sooo good. i love him. this much *holds up arms really far apart*
2016 gbs/lf communist style guy who did a suicide and left behind a giftcard for a gender studies class: :stare:

fyad 1939: the jews, handicapped and gays seem good to me.Poland is a soverign country. all things considered the treaty of versaille was generally fair
gbs wermacht guy: :stare:

so its a good forums barometer, and when they can epic troll by making statements like "racism is bad" or "I'm a girl" that means things are all hosed up

• Locked thread