Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
How does SotDL's wealth system work? It sounds D&D-like (and if you were asking about D&D I would say "good lord don't use actual GP costs at all, that's a terrible idea") but I don't want to assume that's the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Glukeose posted:

It's adjusted downward. Like 30 silver is actually a decent amount by the logic of SotDL. I don't even bother with coppers, but the silver and gold system is good in the core book.

Do you still use currency to buy magical items that upgrade your character's combat capabilities? That's my main concern, whether the game treats currency as a character advancement resource as well as, well, currency -- if it does then dipping into it for fun stuff could end up gimping characters in other ways.

Also I apologize for being ignorant, I thought this was the general GM advice thread and not the SotDL thread where it would make much more sense for me to already know these things. :saddowns:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

brb writing a dungeon-crawling high school game

wait gently caress Persona already exists

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Can you learn the same spell twice to get more castings?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

LGD posted:

it's not mentioned in the rules but the official answer on this one is "no"

Good enough for me, thanks!

On a related note, if you cast Accelerate on yourself on a Fast Turn, can you then take your extra Slow Turn that round, or not until the next one?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Which tradition is the super-gross one? I haven't read through those at all - still waiting for the day I get to play this game.

Forbidden magic is basically "poop and worms, the school."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I appreciate that a lot of the instances of "horrible things happen to your genitals" in SotDL are non-gender-specific. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Obviously a yard is the length from the Demon Lord's shoulder to the end of his middle finger.

Yards in SotDL are the size of a football field, people are just really fast and REALLY protective of their personal space.

(For obvious reasons given all the nastiness. :v: )

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Man run whatever you want but I gotta at least state my disagreement here - I don't think there's any issue with standard high fantasy that has races outside the tolkien standard. I'm running this as weird but mostly thematically standard high fantasy and the robot fits in great - he vaguely distrusts creatures made of flesh unless they seem like authority figures, in which case he's inclined to obey. So a bit stuffy like the paladin stereotype but nothing outside the norm. It makes more sense to me, I dunno, firbolgs or whatever you have in d&d these days.

frankly I think tolkien would have put a robot buddy in moria if he thought of it :colbert:

If Tolkien had included robots or automata in Lord of the Rings they 100% would have been evil.

Grond is halfway there anyways.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Are Curse / Forbidden / Necromancy significantly stronger than other spell schools? I'm curious if the Corruption drawback associated with them is there to mechanically balance them or if it's just for flavor; if it's the latter, I'm thinking of doing a thing where Water magic causes Corruption because the Demon Lord is winter-themed and causing a premature ice age. (And maybe de-Corrupting one of the schools that's currently Corrupt to compensate.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Fair enough. In that case I'll probably just make it a purely narrative thing where using ice magic makes you kind of unpopular. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

While we're on the topic of corrupted traditions, boo-hiss that SotDL makes Necromancy corrupted, it's a lazy cop-out. :v:

This was exactly what I was thinking of, heh.

Using ice magic is draining the warmth of the entire world and contributing to the oncoming eternal winter. Reanimating corpses on the other hand is just being efficient and sensible; reduce, re-use, recycle!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

zeal posted:

the magic that does the reanimating physically rips a not-yet-reincarnated soul from the halls of the underworld to provide the motive force and control mechanism for those corpses

so what you're telling me is you get to tell the Reaper to go pound sand and you get to be a kickin' rad skeltal

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u94yWGkoA6o

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

zeal posted:

if you want necromancy to have different themes and spiritual ramifications, play a different setting, problem solved.

This is in fact what I'm doing, I'm just messing with you because a) I think cheating death is an extremely noble pursuit in general and always roll my eyes at the idea that upsetting the natural order is bad, b) I didn't want to bore people by rambling about my homebrew out of context, and c) skeletons!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Similar to what Lemon-Lime's saying, the point isn't "what's canonically true in the SotDL setting" because obviously if they say that necromancy is corrosive and awful and contrive reasons for this to be so, then that's how it is. The question is what those narrative choices communicate to us as readers / players.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

How much do people use the game's resource-tracking, distance, and time mechanics in this game? I see stuff like 4-hour durations and individually tracked torches and how many miles you can walk in a day, but it's also got a 4E-style "adventuring day" and explicit advice in the rulebook not to worry about time too much outside of combat.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

e: Nevermind, my question was answered by the rules text and I just wasn't looking close enough.

I have a different question, though, this one more open-ended: what's the best way to build a Defender-like character in this game? I know there's a Master Path (the aptly named Defender) that gets some of the signature 4E Fighter-like abilities, and a scattering of spells that apply the Immobilized status, but I'm not really sure the best way to put them together.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 20, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Can you apply Trickery twice to the same roll?

How do Exploit Opportunity and Twain Self interact?

e: Does the Dervish's Two Weapon Mastery replace the 2 bane penalty for attacking with two weapons with the 1 boon bonus, or does it just add one boon for a net total of 1 bane?

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 21, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

1) Yes.

2) You each get your own set of #-per-round abilities, like Trickery and Exploit Opportunity.

oh god it's even better than i thought

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I would be very interested if anyone could optimize this (very "bosskiller" / alpha strike-focused) build further:

http://docdro.id/Ey1xgxY

Four attacks per turn, 7d6 damage at +7 to hit plus two boons each -- and that's before limited-use buffs from the Battle tradition or sacrificing casts of Spellbound Weapon. Only lasts for six rounds (not counting the initial setup turn) and then you disappear for the next minute but hey, that's the price you pay.

Also, your average result on an attack roll is about 21.47, so against any enemy with 16 or less defense you'll be taking an extra turn per round as often as not.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 21, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Anyone have any insight on the Dervish question? If the answer to that one is "the former" I think Dervish might be a better exit than Gunslinger.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

LGD posted:

unless it explicitly says otherwise boons/banes are always purely additive/subtractive, so (accounting for Dervish alone) it'd still be at a net 1 boon penalty

e: also, that's a pretty fun gunslinger build (though without checking math I think you're missing your level 0 time spell/a couple other spells)
e2: also I think your math on damage output is off, since you should have more than 2 boons (1 from Weapon Training (Spellguard 1), 1 from Spellbound Weapon (Spellbinder 1), 1 from Magic Weapon (Spellbinder 9), and 1 from Deadeye Shot (Gunslinger 10))- and if you're already accounting for using 2 boons to dual wield spellbound pistols your damage total is too low- it's actually 4 attacks at 8-10d6 each (2d6 pistol + 2d6 offhand pistol + 1d6 combat prowess + 1d6 spellguard mastery + 1d6 Magic Weapon + 1d6 deadye shot + 1d6 invest power [unless you really can't spare a triggered action to burn a level 0 spell at some point] + 1d6 spellguard expertise [unless casting a spell])
you also might as well include Battle Prowess in the calculations since you're almost certainly going to take it and it's not significantly more "limited use" than this whole nova setup in the first place

in terms of further optimization it's a bit of a pity that your high level spell picks are so limited since a quick dip into Arcana for Harness Magic (and Arcane Armor) would be nice for the endurance of the build- instead you might want to do a similar small dip into Rune magic for Rune of Ice (+ Lasting Rune as your free level 0) since it'll provide a nice long-lasting damage bonus that can be applied to both guns if you're dual wielding and which can be achieved at an early level (4 I think, since you'll probably want to start with Battle)
Scrimshaw of Battle (from the Freeport Companion) might also be worth picking up if no one else in your group has it, since it's a pretty solid group buff (though it's a pick that is probably suboptimal in a theoretical white-room maximization exercise)

Twain Self applies one bane, I'm taking that into account when I tally up the boons. My math also does not assume dual-wielding, since that would take me down to 0 boons and I'd lose the benefit of a lot of Rogue talents. With respect to level 0 spells, I was under the impression that only Magicians got free cantrips.

I'll look into the rest when I get a minute to sit down and go over it; thanks for your insight!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Do triggered actions count as actions?

More specifically, can a Spellguard / x / Mage Knight go:

1. Spend an action to attack, activating Spellguard Expertise;
2. Cast an attack spell off of Spellguard Expertise, activating Mage Knight Tactics;
3. Spend a triggered action to attack off of Mage Knight tactics, activating Spellguard Expertise;
4. Cast an attack spell off of Spellguard Expertise, at which point the combo ends because you've already used your triggered action.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 24, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Okay; I'm honestly a little relieved, 6 attacks and 6 attack spells per turn would probably make the rest of the table want to kill you. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Insanity is a pretty good mechanic, and a few abilities scale or trigger off of Corruption. I wouldn't throw them out, especially Insanity -- just present them in slightly less grimdark terms.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Do natural weapons (as, for instance, from the Transformation tradition) count as weapons, unarmed attacks, both, or neither?

e: the core book lists unarmed attacks themselves as a weapon so i'm guessing that extends to natural attacks as well, but that still leaves the "are natural weapons unarmed attacks" part of the question

e2: Is there any way to increase spell durations (for non-Rune spells) besides being a Sorcerer?

e3: Nevermind, you don't retain your traits when transforming. Boooo.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 29, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

kingcom posted:

I think playing a robot is inherently a bit shittier than everyone else but otherwise its fine go nuts.

If you play RAW, then you have to roll for purpose / form as a Clockwork, which kind of sucks. If you get to pick, they're fantastic, although you might want to avoid agility builds and builds with multiple stat dependencies.

e: There's probably also some dumb party-based bullshit you could pull with Grind the Gears if you wanted to, which I didn't factor into the above analysis but hey, it's one more lever for breaking the action economy.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 29, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Consider for instance that Grind the Gears says "on your turn", Accelerate lets you take two turns, you only need a "creature" to wind you back up, and that there's nothing in the rules to say that says the summoner being incapacitated causes summons to de-spawn.

:getin:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Toebone posted:

I've heard a lot of good stuff about this game and want to give it a shot with some friends I normally play 5E D&D with, is there anything I should absolutely pick up besides the Core book and an intro adventure?

I really like the alternate novice paths for martial characters in Bred For Battle (and it's only like $7 for the pdf) but you'll be fine with just the core book.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Speaking of better Fighter mechanics, I wish Defender and Conqueror (at least) were revised to be Expert paths instead of Master paths. I know the game is all "ascending tiers of complexity" and so on but those functions really shouldn't take until the end of the campaign to kick in.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

The goony option is to sabotage 5e games by consistently creating situations that showcase the rules potholes and busting out the imbalanced power builds.

Not if you're trying to convince people to play Shadow of the Demon Lord it isn't.

Like, SotDL is cool because it's streamlined and (relatively) well-templated, but it's not a hard game to break, and not just in terms of power level but in terms of "my turn is going to take 15 minutes to resolve" as well.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

LeSquide posted:

Got an example of that? I don't doubt it, I'm just curious about what that lookslike in SoDL.

The main thing is that SotDL has very few sanity checks for players exploiting the action economy.

Behold, The Disney Princess

This is a Magician / Sorcerer / Beastmaster build, specializing in Primal, Theurgy, and Transformation magic.

As a Sorcerer they can boost the duration of any spells they cast by one category, so all those 1-hour "Call X Animal" spells now last for 8 hours, basically enough time to explore a whole dungeon unless your GM gets wise (and if they do, you just have to ration it a bit.) So right off the bat you can pretty much spend a full adventuring day rolling around as yourself, three badgers, two wolves, a bear, and a dinosaur (adding more critters as you increase in level.)

But wait, it gets better. You can cast Befriend Animal three times a day at max level, and maintain Befriended animals up to your Power. As a Disney Princess you presumably have no problem finding mice, birds, etc. to befriend, or you could go a grosser route and just say you're completely covered in fleas at all times. Beastmaster's Primal Bond allows you to extend the effect of any spell that targets you to one animal you have charmed that is within medium range. Transformation magic lets you transform yourself into a Huge or Large animal, which you extend to your fleas / mice / whatever to turn them into Large / Huge animals.

Finally, you take Theurgy for Divine Aid, which gives +15 HP to any number of creatures within short range of you for 1 hour. You can extend this to 8 hours if you want, but be careful of Sorcerous Outburst when you position everyone. This gives your critters some staying power, even if they're small (and is also just generally an incredibly good party buff.) When you need a burst of extra power, Call of the Wild gives you a nice five-target general buff for 1 minute, and Avatar gives you and your largest critter a huge boost to survivability and damage output.

Give me a minute to stat it up and I'll post a Time magic build, which is even worse.

e: accidentally left in some extra spells from an earlier version of the build, fixed now

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 11, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Okay, here we are: Tempus Fugitive

This is a Spellguard / Spellbinder / Arcanist build, specializing in Arcana, Battle, and Time magic.

So, the basic gimmick here is one I've explored before: on your fast turn you make an attack with your longbow (okay damage, ludicrous range) and use Spellguard Expertise to cast Twain Self. Your Twained Self uses their fast turn to attack and uses Spellguard Expertise to cast Accelerate, which procs over to you. You then both take your slow turns, attacking and casting more self-buffs or just going straight for the Battle spells like Mighty Attack to boost your damage further.

You'll need to pre-buff your Spellbinder abilities because otherwise you can't cast while holding a longbow, but there are solutions to this in a pinch. (Offhand implement, mainhand pistol or hand crossbow, then use your three total minor activities at the end of the fast turn and beginning of the slow turn to holster your weapon and implement and then draw your bow.)

For the next minute, each round, you get:
4 attacks (two of you, taking a fast and slow turn each)
4 spells (Spellguard Expertise has no per-round limits, so one for each attack)
2 arcana spells (each of you can use your triggered action to cast one via Swift Arcana)

You deal 5d6+1 damage with 2 boons with each longbow attack, or 7d6+1 with 3 boons with Mighty Attack. (The other Battle spells give a boon but no damage bonus.)

The downside, of course, is that Accelerate is 2/day and Twain Self is 1/day, and you don't have enough castings of your low-level spells to support the amount of spellslinging you're doing each time you use the combo. Spell Recovery bumps Twain Self up to effectively 2/day, but encounter math in SotDL typically points to about 4 encounters per day. So what do you do?

Well, Harness Magic gives you 1d6+3 "free levels" of spells to cast on whatever you want. Casting Harness Magic will always give you enough juice to cast Twain Self, and half the time it'll give you enough to cast Accelerate + Twain Self, sometimes even with points to spare. On top of that, Arcana Mastery lets you "trade down" Arcana spells to cast any equal or lower-level spell you know. So you load up on high-level Arcana spells that you never intend to cast -- Arcane Retribution is an obvious pick, and you can also grab Stun Pulse from Godless if your GM allows it, or Suppress Magic if they don't. Either way, these trade down into Harness Magic, which gives you more of everything.

It's possible to build a variation of this setup that novas harder but can only do it once or twice a day, if you prefer. I posted about this before -- Gunslinger is a good exit for maximum per-attack damage, and Mage Knight has a truly degenerate combo with Spellguard if triggered actions count as actions, but opinions differ on that subject and the rulebook doesn't really help.

Playing a Clockwork gives you even more ways of snagging extra actions, but their agility isn't great and Grind the Gears comes with a steep drawback (not so bad if someone on your team can commit a summon or two to winding you back up when you run down, though.)

e: Bonus -- you can make Tracer from Overwatch.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 6, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

Why can't you cast while holding a longbow?

You need to wield an implement to cast spells, but a longbow requires both hands. The Spellbinder expert path gives you Spellbound Weapon, which is cast on a weapon and lets you use it as an implement.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

Spellbinder can use their bound weapons as implements.

Yes, but you have to cast the bound weapon spell first. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Serf posted:

It's too bad Rob is set on there not being a second edition at the moment, you could fix a lot of this with a few simple rules.

I think the Spellguard / Adept, Time magic, and 3.5-style summons where a summon is just a completely independent entity that takes its own turns were all a mistake.

The first issue I'd fix by making those "attack to also cast a spell" abilities require the use of a triggered action (or at least a minor activity) but Accelerate, Twain Self, and independent summons probably just shouldn't exist.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

Edit! Turns out there IS a general rule, and anything targeting an object needs to be yours or nobody's basically.

What page is this on? I went looking too and couldn't find it, but I might've been looking for the wrong terms.

(Or is it a Google+ ruling -- which I don't mind, honestly, the community participation and access to Schwalb is really neat, I just wish it were in a medium with a better interface than Google+.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I only looked at this a long time ago, but is there someone who's a wizard fighter, but not a fighter who casts spells? Like, you hit someone, and magic happens as you hit them.

I mean magic is spells, so if you don't want spells at all then what you're asking for doesn't exist.

Spellguard and Adept both get an ability that lets you cast a spell for free every time you spend an action to attack, though, if that's good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I didn't actually realize one of the Clockwork forms reduced health by 5, that's... kind of lame, honestly.

Anyways, my sincere advice is don't run level 0 or if you do make all combat avoidable. The game's lethal enough (and takes long enough to introduce more complex character options) as it is.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 16, 2018