Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

you once mentioned making a mod for adding quirks to the other mechs in the base game. any chance that still exists and you'd be willing to upload?

Ok, my crappy mods now on github!

https://github.com/KlyithSA/BT_QuirkQuipment
https://github.com/KlyithSA/BT_SLDFincoming

Notes on QuirkQuipment: it's focused on the low-tier mechs, and making them either interesting to use (Quickdraw) or less ignorable as enemies (Cicada). This mod can make some annoying situations even more annoying -- a Locust in base defense missions is even more liable to hide where you can't see it now that it has low profile. To me that's a positive, I like being annoyed.

I could never decide whether the Commando is bad enough to need a quirk boost, or what it should be if so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Klyith posted:

Ok, my crappy mods now on github!

https://github.com/KlyithSA/BT_QuirkQuipment
https://github.com/KlyithSA/BT_SLDFincoming

Notes on QuirkQuipment: it's focused on the low-tier mechs, and making them either interesting to use (Quickdraw) or less ignorable as enemies (Cicada). This mod can make some annoying situations even more annoying -- a Locust in base defense missions is even more liable to hide where you can't see it now that it has low profile. To me that's a positive, I like being annoyed.

I could never decide whether the Commando is bad enough to need a quirk boost, or what it should be if so?

:hellyeah: my goon

as for metal babies, I think they're fine for their weight class. the stock SRM10 + ML or LL variant are perfectly serviceable

I always waffle on whether Ace Pilot is more useful than a second coolant flush mech warrior. I'm angling for Multi / Coolant, Breach / Bulwark, Master Tactician / Bulwark and Evasive / Bulwark. Ace Pilot can work if you use a Grasshopper or SLDF Medium like the GRF-2N in the later game

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

I always waffle on whether Ace Pilot is more useful than a second coolant flush mech warrior. I'm angling for Multi / Coolant, Breach / Bulwark, Master Tactician / Bulwark and Evasive / Bulwark. Ace Pilot can work if you use a Grasshopper or SLDF Medium like the GRF-2N in the later game

Even a firestarter can be pretty drat lethal with ace pilot. But backstabber mechs really aren't the only thing you can do with them.

Ace pilot is probably the most powerful skill in the game: it's the only skill that totally breaks the rules everyone else operates under. You can shoot and then break LoS. You have superior range control, which makes mid-range builds able to take away short range reprisals. You can totally break the AI over your knee with a bunch of ace pilots and lots of patience.

OTOH it's also one of the more annoying skills when you only have one ace pilot, because you have to think so differently about that one unit. I can't tell you how many times I've said "gently caress, I forgot about ace, I could have done something smarter this turn".

So yeah, if you only have the one and you don't use them all the time, dedicating them to a backstabber mech gives you an obvious tactic you won't forget.

as for metal babies, I think they're fine for their weight class. the stock SRM10 + ML or LL variant are perfectly serviceable

That's where I generally landed. I mean, look at this loving hero:

(god I love the B team missions)

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

HBS is getting ready to pitch a new game.

I can't help but notice the art for the blog post is the Argo.

https://www.harebrained-schemes.com/blog

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Gonna be a mobile game where you play as Yang trying to keep cats off the Argo

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

spacetoaster posted:

HBS is getting ready to pitch a new game.

I can't help but notice the art for the blog post is the Argo.

https://www.harebrained-schemes.com/blog

How dare they tease us like that. I would kill for a new Battletech game made by HBS.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

It also has a lamp lighter image at the footer

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ACValiant posted:

How dare they tease us like that. I would kill for a new Battletech game made by HBS.

Even if you can't get the IP you can still make a game that's about being a mercenary unit flying about a galaxy where battles are fought with big robots or something

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

Alchenar posted:

Even if you can't get the IP you can still make a game that's about being a mercenary unit flying about a galaxy where battles are fought with big robots or something

I mean, I'll take it but I do like the Battletech wrappings. I would be sad if they had to give it up due to rights or whatever.

Stravag posted:

It also has a lamp lighter image at the footer

Was this any good? I was initially pretty hyped for it but the reviews really didn't persuade me to give it a shot.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

No idea the only hbs game I've played was hbstech

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ACValiant posted:

I mean, I'll take it but I do like the Battletech wrappings. I would be sad if they had to give it up due to rights or whatever.

Bad Old Tech, featuring exciting robots like the Crap, the rear end-rear end-in, the King Crap, the Fatlas, and the Charger in an age of war after the collapse of Space Rome, I guess.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ACValiant posted:

If they're pitching game concepts around then it just can't be Battletech unless Microsoft goes 'yeah we'll fund that'.

Lamplighters suffered heavily from the core HBS problem which is that it's a tactical combat game where they just aren't actually very impressive at delivering that bit of the game. The Shadowrun trilogy is amazing for the writing. Battletech rides hard on the setting and the mercenary/salvage system but the combat bit is extremely samey. What they need to aim for is 'good enough' on the combat side and pair it with their real strength, which is narrative.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ACValiant posted:

Was this any good? I was initially pretty hyped for it but the reviews really didn't persuade me to give it a shot.

Haven't played it either, but I watched some videos at one point. I think the problem with the game is that very few people are in the middle of the venn diagram for the elements the game has.

The two main things are:
* a real-time phase where you can plant traps and do stealth takedowns
* the turn-based combat is like "what if you took xcom and went even more nuts with abilities, status effects, combos, and synergies than 2 or xcops"

The cool bit of the turn-based phase is that it's an AP system where you can do actions with your characters in any order. So you can do stuff like take a shot with one guy, take another shot with a second, and then switch back to the first guy and do their 2nd action. It actually gave me some Divinity Original Sin 2 vibes as much as xcom.

OTOH the real-time part of the game was a big turn off for me, I was pretty sure I'd find it frustrating.

Alchenar posted:

Lamplighters suffered heavily from the core HBS problem which is that it's a tactical combat game where they just aren't actually very impressive at delivering that bit of the game. The Shadowrun trilogy is amazing for the writing. Battletech rides hard on the setting and the mercenary/salvage system but the combat bit is extremely samey. What they need to aim for is 'good enough' on the combat side and pair it with their real strength, which is narrative.

Eh, IMO and all, but the combat part battletech was real good. It does get a bit samey after a ton of hours (thus mods). But so does anything in this genre that relies heavily on proc-gen missions. The narrative campaign was like, fine but not amazing.

I think HBS has the same problem that every indie studio has, which is that you have to make a really goddamn excellent game to stand out these days.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
So, I remember someone posting a setting you could change in BTA that would allow you to control where your lance drops to at the start a mission, but I for the life of my can't remember what file I need to find or what setting to change. Don't suppose someone could help me out?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BATTLETECH\Mods\CustomUnits\mod.json, "DeployManual"

I'm sure the BTA team has reasons why they set that as false but goddamn it sucks.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Rorahusky posted:

So, I remember someone posting a setting you could change in BTA that would allow you to control where your lance drops to at the start a mission, but I for the life of my can't remember what file I need to find or what setting to change. Don't suppose someone could help me out?

It's in the CustomUnits mod file.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
GDC Demo trailer for MW5: Clans just dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVTs2chsIXE

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
For some reason that trailer gives me the exact same feeling I get at the grocery store when I notice the giant display of Super Bowl themed Doritos and Pepsi

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

It makes me uneasy that they're going the mocap character cutscene route. The sparse narrative of the Mechwarrior 2 games was effective within the technical limitations of the time because you could handwave/imagine away the goofiest parts of clan culture. Based on the track record with MW5:Mercs I'm worried that the storytelling is going to be really cringy here.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Marx Headroom posted:

For some reason that trailer gives me the exact same feeling I get at the grocery store when I notice the giant display of Super Bowl themed Doritos and Pepsi

It sounds like they clipped off the last line of dialogue:

"Prepare for 'Mech combat... with Monster Energy."

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

When I think of Mechwarrior Clans I think about scanning things

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
hmm yes more mission objectives that'll solve people's problems with MW5. I just hope it runs well

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Bubbacub posted:

It makes me uneasy that they're going the mocap character cutscene route. The sparse narrative of the Mechwarrior 2 games was effective within the technical limitations of the time because you could handwave/imagine away the goofiest parts of clan culture. Based on the track record with MW5:Mercs I'm worried that the storytelling is going to be really cringy here.

Good, the Clans should be really cringey. Working as intended.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

hmm yes more mission objectives that'll solve people's problems with MW5. I just hope it runs well

More mission types would be cool, better ai for teammates I hope as well.

It always feels weird to me that tabletop battles tend to end in like 2 minutes so scaling that to a video game feels weird

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
The Clans should be cringey in a Starship Troopers way not a Thin Blue Line Punisher logo way, if that makes sense, and I'm not sure the PGI writers understand this

I guess what I'm saying is, Smoke Jaguar missions should not have a "targets scanned" counter. They should have a "civilians killed" counter, and your CO should yell gibberish at you for walking past a prominently labeled orphanage without firing your lasers at it. The entire game should be the Old King route from AC4A. You should be wandering into minefields and losing honor points for shooting at legs.

Marx Headroom fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 2, 2024

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

It would unironically help a lot, because the more handcrafted/scripted DLC campaign missions were orders of magnitude less bland and boring than the endless flood of "blow up an oddly square shaped town in the middle of a giant empty field while enemies teleport into existence nearby" procgen crap in MW5.

Unless it's just more boring procgen crap except there's more filler objectives, in which case, well...

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Kanos posted:

It would unironically help a lot, because the more handcrafted/scripted DLC campaign missions were orders of magnitude less bland and boring than the endless flood of "blow up an oddly square shaped town in the middle of a giant empty field while enemies teleport into existence nearby" procgen crap in MW5.

Unless it's just more boring procgen crap except there's more filler objectives, in which case, well...

search your heart what do you believe it'll be

more to the point yeah a strong core of like 20ish missions with some procgen side missions. then dlc's add more campaigns would be great. my hesitation is that they showcased scanning as a killer feature

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

ilmucche posted:

More mission types would be cool, better ai for teammates I hope as well.

It always feels weird to me that tabletop battles tend to end in like 2 minutes so scaling that to a video game feels weird

modern battle tech has objective based missions. the lack of missions variety is on the devs not the core game

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

they showcased scanning as a killer feature

They did? They barely showed off scanning and I suspect mostly because of the visual homage to Enhanced Imaging mode from the cartoon. Also they've said they weren't doing procgen for this game because in Mercs it created this situation where you couldn't necessarily tweak a map for a campaign mission because it'd gently caress up the procgen generation.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
If you ever thought to yourself "Huh, I wonder how electronic warfare works in RogueTech" then I am happy to report that you can now indulge your curiosity here: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1A-ZdiJUAuVAji18XTO1uh-AYxfHnpY16yATPp0ctHZk/. Someone in the discord was nice enough to put this together. I definitely learned some stuff from it.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Q_res posted:

They did? They barely showed off scanning and I suspect mostly because of the visual homage to Enhanced Imaging mode from the cartoon. Also they've said they weren't doing procgen for this game because in Mercs it created this situation where you couldn't necessarily tweak a map for a campaign mission because it'd gently caress up the procgen generation.

I genuinely hadn't read the PC Gamer article so color me surprised

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

modern battle tech has objective based missions.

Tabletop BattleTech has had mission objectives since at least 3E. That's back in the 90s, before BV balancing was a thing.

PGI's poor decisions in MW5 can't be blamed on the tabletop game. Pinpoint accuracy on all weapons requiring huge waves of enemies to provide a challenge is entirely on them.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Clanners are cops so yeah, make em embarrassing

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

toasterwarrior posted:

Clanners are cops so yeah, make em embarrassing

god if only we had the Wars of Reaving among modern police

Although, poo poo. I finally sat down and read it front to back this week and it is just warcrime after warcrime after warcrime.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Captain Oblivious posted:

Good, the Clans should be really cringey. Working as intended.

There'd better be a cutscene of Leo Showers in a catsuit

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Bubbacub posted:

There'd better be a cutscene of Lincoln Osis in a catsuit

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
As if PGI would be brave enough to feature an Elemental.

Or a pilot, for that matter.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

modern battle tech has objective based missions. the lack of missions variety is on the devs not the core game

yeah i know that bit, it's more that tabletop games tend to not be that many turns before most of the machines are pulp. these machines are destructive and even though i think of them as kind of ponderous ambling walkers, no literally 30 seconds is enough to scrap some of the heaviest machines

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Tabletop BattleTech has had mission objectives since at least 3E. That's back in the 90s, before BV balancing was a thing.

PGI's poor decisions in MW5 can't be blamed on the tabletop game. Pinpoint accuracy on all weapons requiring huge waves of enemies to provide a challenge is entirely on them.

I wonder what tabletop trapping ended up making them program crappy AIs, or not hire a competent VA director, or design a skill system that makes your guns feel weak until several dozen hours into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Too much reading stackpole