Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

DeepThrobble posted:

It's a tabletop game, not a tennis court game or an aircraft hangar game. :colbert:

Yeah but you know what other setting is very popular for tabletop wargaming? Hint: it has Sherman tanks and is set in the 1940s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Bruceski posted:

I've gotten a couple of Dragons, and I'm not sure what to do with them. They seem comparable to the Shadow Hawk (which I tend to build punchy/SRM). 5 more tons and space for another short weapon, but down a weight class and that's a liability when I'm mostly still facing mediums. Is that a fair assessment or am I missing some niche?

2 arm servos, 2 flamers/SLs to taste, 6 jump jets and max armor.

it's like 170 melee damage on mech with a lot of beef and decent move, and 260+ on DFA.

EDIT: If you want a slower engage with more reliable damage you can run lrm5s/10s instead of the jump jets/second arm servo.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I got kinda screwed by the autosave. I completed a mission, and it autosaved post-mission and then my game crashed. Re-opened it, and had none of the salvage from the mission I'd just completed, loving me out of two mechs.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
On one mission, I have the option to fully salvage either a Griffin or Wolverine. Right now I'm running an LRM boat Centurion, a stock Shadowhawk, a dual AC5 Blackjack I'm looking to replace, and a 4MLas 2SMS6 Quickdraw. Which 55t mech should I grab? I'm ridiculously new to mechwarrior stuff and have no idea which is better.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Amechwarrior posted:

They stick. I've been running +1 and even some +2 after the first month and now I'm 6-7 months in with 30+ base morale. It's better to do this earlier, as your upkeep is less from having fewer units, pilots and ship upgrades to pay for.

Wow if that's the case the Argo upgrades for morale seem pretty bad, especially the really expensive ones. I could pay 450k + an extra 1.7k a month orrr just raise my pay for one month by like, 250k for the same boost.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

wait so clanners are making what they would call timberwolf IIC, and rebranding them for export to gullible IS losers by painting Mad Cat Mk2 on the side?

that kind of owns actually

(edit) wait isn't current battletech lore mired in those fuckers still driving a spear toward Terra
IIC is for originally Inner Sphere mechs that evolved over time into radically different designs. More on that here.
If by "current" you mean 3145/Dark Age, then yeah, the Wolves and Jade Falcons haven't given up on the whole crusader thing. The Inner Sphere only stopped the Clans from conducting an invasion together, they're still individually free to do that.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Getting pretty close to a initial test version of my Sandbox setup. I just finished enabling the Directorate as an employer and target in the following systems:

Editing all those system files sure was tedious. :v:

GruntyThrst posted:

Wow if that's the case the Argo upgrades for morale seem pretty bad, especially the really expensive ones. I could pay 450k + an extra 1.7k a month orrr just raise my pay for one month by like, 250k for the same boost.

Those upgrades can trigger new beneficial events or give existing events more beneficial options/results.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

GruntyThrst posted:

Just lol if you don't buy the low G pool

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Yeah but you know what other setting is very popular for tabletop wargaming? Hint: it has Sherman tanks and is set in the 1940s.

And almost every single one of them has range scale issues.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I have three mediums and one light mech because the game still hasn't deigned to give me any salvage to complete a mech. I just beat Weldry.

The easiest possible mission I can do is ten medium and heavy mechs at a time. They all have ppcs or large lasers.

:shepicide:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 29, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Holy poo poo, gently caress LRM Carriers with dickheads who can sensor lock me. How am I supposed to deal with this poo poo when they are blocked by a lance of mechs? They just rain absolute hell on me from mikes away.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

wait so clanners are making what they would call timberwolf IIC, and rebranding them for export to gullible IS losers by painting Mad Cat Mk2 on the side?

that kind of owns actually

(edit) wait isn't current battletech lore mired in those fuckers still driving a spear toward Terra, making export sales to their enemy Kind Of Stupid?

It's... complicated. There are a bunch of Clans that are effectively just Inner Sphere nations themselves by ~3080 or so, due to the Wars of Reaving. Thus while some may indeed still profess wanting to conquer Terra, at this point they're more just more aggressive than usual Great Houses (or Periphery nations in the case of some). Others have basically just become opportunistic merchants that meander around the whole IS (the Diamond Sharks, who are the ones who market and sell the Mk II).

In theory the Clans still back in the homeworlds plan to restart the crusade at some point, but they effectively vanished again from any of the written fiction after the Wars of Reaving book.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

DeepThrobble posted:

IIC is for originally Inner Sphere mechs that evolved over time into radically different designs. More on that here.
If by "current" you mean 3145/Dark Age, then yeah, the Wolves and Jade Falcons haven't given up on the whole crusader thing. The Inner Sphere only stopped the Clans from conducting an invasion together, they're still individually free to do that.

Does like anyone care at all about Dark Age? It always feels to me like BT is perpetually Just Before Jihad when people talk about "right now"

e: or maybe "just after Wars of Reaving" ^^^^^

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nobody cares about dark age

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What the gently caress, this super easy baby mission that's a 10 v 4 with medium and heavies vs. my light and mediums, the only mechs I've seen or salvaged, is a 10 v 4 before reinforcements. If I withdraw I'm withdrawing in bad faith. Kamea sent me on this according to the contract.

Did I just gently caress myself over and instantly lose the campaign by beating Weldry with a light/medium lance? How is this possible?

e: By the way if you didn't realize, pausing the game doesn't stop combat. Why? gently caress you!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Try heading back out to easier space and kick pirates around.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Maybe you should jump to a lower-skull system and try for a contract there. Look for one against pirates or something so you're dealing with half (or quarter) armor. Don't take an assassination.

I don't know, that's a new problem to me. I have not had issue with the scaling except for the reinforcements arriving on turn 2 - an 8v4 is one thing, an 8v4 where they pull two heavies on your lance of mediums is real rude

hoping for some good salvage though!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Synthbuttrange posted:

Try heading back out to easier space and kick pirates around.

This IS easier space.

Went ahead and backed out and reloaded an earlier save since everybody died. I guess I'm going to savescum a lot here.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Anyone tried out Gunner 1 / tactician 2 on a lrm boat? I thought about Gunner 2 instead, but that initiative bonus is too sweet to surrender.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Is there a list mechs in the game with available tonnage, hardpoints, and movement speed/max evasion pips?

Does piloting 1 do anything? I'm not noticing additional evasion pips.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Is there a way to get the game to display properly in 3440x1440 in fullscreen? Portion of the bottom of the screen gets cut off in that resolution on full screen

edit: Reddit says it was in the beta, but not now, unless you play in windowed, but there's no frameless windowed mode. aaaaaaa

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 29, 2018

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Anyone tried out Gunner 1 / tactician 2 on a lrm boat? I thought about Gunner 2 instead, but that initiative bonus is too sweet to surrender.

Tried it and wasn't happy with it. I would just end up reserving him most turns so that they could poo poo out missiles after I've taken away evasion from targets.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

Eej posted:

Does like anyone care at all about Dark Age? It always feels to me like BT is perpetually Just Before Jihad when people talk about "right now"

e: or maybe "just after Wars of Reaving" ^^^^^
There was a long stretch of "Forever '67" fifteen years ago when the post-FASA TT crew was figuring out how to connect it all to what Weissman was doing with the Clix game, and they were contractually obligated to follow his lead, but there's a strong tendency among BT fans to treat everything past 3025/3039/3050/3052/3055/3057/3058/3060/3062/3067/3085... as non-canon. To their credit the tabletop guys did the best they could with the poo poo sandwiches they got served, particularly without any novels to guide people through the main plot points of the "Oops-we-blew-the-best-term-for-this-on-the-Clans-and-this-is-pre-9/11" era.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

DeepThrobble posted:

There was a long stretch of "Forever '67" fifteen years ago when the post-FASA TT crew was figuring out how to connect it all to what Weissman was doing with the Clix game, and they were contractually obligated to follow his lead, but there's a strong tendency among BT fans to treat everything past 3025/3039/3050/3052/3055/3057/3058/3060/3062/3067/3085... as non-canon. To their credit the tabletop guys did the best they could with the poo poo sandwiches they got served, particularly without any novels to guide people through the main plot points of the "Oops-we-blew-the-best-term-for-this-on-the-Clans-and-this-is-pre-9/11" era.

First game I can remember playing was Crescent Hawk's Revenge, the Mechwarrior games were some of my favourite growing up, and I've got literal boxes of old battletech books sitting around in my basement somewhere, and this paragraph still means nothing to me. The nerd hole is so loving deep on Battletech

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is it just me or are the vehicles in repossession missions rediculously tanky?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Strobe posted:

Well, they'd call it a Timber Wolf II or Timber Wolf Mk II based on other similar circumstances (Loki Mk II, Vulture Mk III, Thor II, Pack Hunter II). The Mad Cat is actually really aggravating because it goes: Mad Cat -> Mad Cat Mk II -> Mad Cat III -> Mad Cat Mk IV.

The Clans call the Loki Mk II the Hel, the Thor Mk II the Grand Summoner, the Mad Cat Mk IV the Savage Wolf, the Ryoken Mk III is the Skinwalker, and the Vulture Mk III is just the Mad Dog Mk III because someone got lazy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Someone explain to me how armor works and why my locust gets its structure exposed when an lrm5 hits it but the enemy locust can take 240 missiles. I understand it's locational but that's almost literally more missiles than it has armor points. Nearly all hit too.

e: Also who else just reloads when the reinforcements spawn instantly?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
"Garrison this facility" mission with "bad intel." Hold out for ten turns.

By turn five there were two mech lances and a vehicle lance. Every one of them kamikaze rushes the flimsy rear end buildings I have no way of defending. My XO says "they can blame the bad intel."

gently caress you pay me.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Amechwarrior posted:

They stick. I've been running +1 and even some +2 after the first month and now I'm 6-7 months in with 30+ base morale. It's better to do this earlier, as your upkeep is less from having fewer units, pilots and ship upgrades to pay for.

I am 80% certain this is a bug a la some people inexplicably having the Coffee Modifier forever.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ok I've reloaded my way and bankrupted my way to even weaker planets where I still can't win because my four lovely mediums can't take 4 heavies, 4 mediums, two lights, and two tanks on a one skull mission.

I'm probably restarting because I made this unwinnable by rushing. I guess maybe don't do Weldry until you have at least 1 heavy and three mediums to hold yourself together?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Synthbuttrange posted:

Nobody cares about dark age

I care about the Dark Age. :(

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Clans call the Loki Mk II the Hel, the Thor Mk II the Grand Summoner, the Mad Cat Mk IV the Savage Wolf, the Ryoken Mk III is the Skinwalker, and the Vulture Mk III is just the Mad Dog Mk III because someone got lazy.

Because of course they do. :v:

Particularly in the Hel and Grand Summoner's cases, I suspect it's more along the lines of "this is what it's officially called, but nobody actually uses that name even where it's built".

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

RBA Starblade posted:

Ok I've reloaded my way and bankrupted my way to even weaker planets where I still can't win because my four lovely mediums can't take 4 heavies, 4 mediums, two lights, and two tanks on a one skull mission.

I'm probably restarting because I made this unwinnable by rushing. I guess maybe don't do Weldry until you have at least 1 heavy and three mediums to hold yourself together?

I beat Weldry like four months ago and didn't see a Heavy 'Mech in a contract outside of Assassinations until after I did Panzyr. Even on 2.5 skull missions.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Deuce posted:

"Garrison this facility" mission with "bad intel." Hold out for ten turns.

By turn five there were two mech lances and a vehicle lance. Every one of them kamikaze rushes the flimsy rear end buildings I have no way of defending. My XO says "they can blame the bad intel."

gently caress you pay me.

Yeah I got this mission as well where enemies spawn and just suicide rush the target. I almost did protect the buildings from the first two waves but then another spawned and immediately destroyed the remaining 2 building before I could even get a turn in. gently caress that mission, at least it gave me a good faith effort where I got some pay. I also avoid all convoy attack missions like the plague. Those vehicles are way way faster and tankier than they have any right to be and even fast heavies like dragons cant catch them without dieing to all the poo poo protecting them.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 29, 2018

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Strobe posted:

I beat Weldry like four months ago and didn't see a Heavy 'Mech in a contract outside of Assassinations until after I did Panzyr. Even on 2.5 skull missions.

I saw one and got 2/3 salvage :mad:

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

I'm mad about Shadowhawks

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
What's a good build for the CN9-A? It's too slow to maneuver into mlas and SRM range. Should it LRM? Llas?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Strobe posted:

I saw them here and there, but yeah.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

YellerBill posted:

I'm mad about Shadowhawks

Ain't no rule that says the commander can't command from a hospital bed

Stringbean posted:

What's a good build for the CN9-A? It's too slow to maneuver into mlas and SRM range. Should it LRM? Llas?

I feel like a lot of people have turned their Centurions into LRMboats and it works pretty darn well, actually. It's also slow, so it's not like its going to be rushing forward ahead of the other mediums.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Stringbean posted:

Either an LRM boat or an AC/20 on legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Xarbala posted:

Ain't no rule that says the commander can't command from a hospital bed

I'm just picturing my mechwarrior going through all the early plot conversations in a full body cast