Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Sky Shadowing posted:

I'm more wondering about beta closing. But I guess that's becoming more commonplace, isn't it? I'm used to beta being "early access", meaning "the full game, just maybe buggy".

I just don't like the perk I paid $20-25 extra dollars for just vanishing. Then the only people playing BattleTech will be the pirates.

They're being pretty up front about the beta being pretty much a tech demo of skirmish mode, not a steam early access game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I mean, Battlemechs not feeling large compared to hills and mountains makes sense. They're ~10-15m tall(17-20m if you use PGI's inflated scale, which they seem to be). That's not really "giant" in the context of old growth forests or mountains/hills. They'll probably feel a lot bigger when/if there are urban combat maps.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'm only basing this off watching streams, but it feels weird that evasive move is just as effective when used on an Atlas as on a Locust.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It seems to me that an easy way to solve the "too many headcappers" problem and "are my pilots going to die like flies" problem is to substantially increase the relative armor of the head. Head hits would still be debilitating due to incurred pilot damage and taking multiple would still kill you, but it would reduce the incidence of an Urbanmech blowing your head off from the fog.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Zaodai posted:

I personally don't like the diminishing returns by weight class thing, but that's because I'm against welfare handouts for lights and 50% of your shots just not hitting regardless of how well you've set yourself up to shoot it is irritating. But again, I'll just keep the mandatory sensor lock guy and ignore the mechanic. Get hosed, light mech.

It's an extremely intuitive change. It would make sense on a gut level that it's easier to move a smaller, more nimble light mech evasively than it is to waddle a gigantic fat rear end assault mech evasively.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Zaodai posted:

Is it? Is 50% of the shots that come at you not hitting worse than a 10% modifier or whatever from moving? I doubt it. I mean if your logic is that lights are ducking and weaving faster, then they must be ducking and weaving through any nearby cover, so why get credit for the cover twice? If we're fine with Evasive being bullshit, it might as well be your only bullshit.

If you're abstracting it to the idea that lights are ducking and weaving through cover it's quite possible to imagine the enemy trying to lead shots against a moving target that are smacking into trees and rocks and poo poo that are in the way.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Zaodai posted:

Sure, but my point is that would be part of the 50% of the shots that don't hit. If you're evading and a shot hits a rock you ran behind, your evasive maneuver was to put the rock between you and your target.

As opposed to the guy who isn't actively attempting to evade, where a huge amount of shots whiff because of the trees and rocks in the way.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Zaodai posted:

Sure? I think evasive, ESPECIALLY eevasive move is retarded in general. So I'm biased.

Mechs moving fast to not get hit is pretty fundamental to how battlemech combat works. Evasive as a tradeoff buff for giving up the ability to shoot that turn is perfectly fine. Evasive move is a great idea to allow smaller mechs to play aggressively instead of sitting and being sensor bots and plays into how they functioned in tabletop and previous mechwarrior games. It's not a great idea to give an Atlas, which already benefits from enormous amounts of durability, a 50% bullet shield for free.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I guess I don't get why you think tweaking game balance to make it so all classes of mech are potentially useful in a variety of situations(instead of light mechs being sensor lock bots and nothing more) is some kind of unnatural "affirmative action". It's game balancing.

Is making it so the AC/2 and AC/5 aren't total garbage compared to lasers considered ballistics affirmative action?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Dreadwroth posted:

One of the table top Battletech campaigns I played back in the day had us as a vehicle merc company, it was fun trying to down 'mechs with my Harassers and a couple suicidal Savannah Masters.

I think you mean Savannah Rammers.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Yeah, it's an inherent weakness with Battletech as a system that it scales up to large engagements amazingly poorly. It's the necessary price you pay for getting down to the level of detail Battletech operates at, with micro-level stuff like individual hit locations on every mech with dicrete armor and internal structure values that are tracked separately(the armor values aren't even standardized across each weight class!) and every mech having a different arsenal of individual weapons that can potentially each operate at different ranges/have different limited ammo supplies/produce different heat values that every mech vents slightly differently. This isn't a bad thing at all, the system is simply designed at a high level of detail.

In order to scale it up and have it work well, you'd need to start lowering the level of detail in order to promote faster and more streamlined play, with larger engagement sizes necessitating more abstraction. You could do stuff like abstract hit locations(so a mech has a general armor value and a general internal value or something instead of individual hit locations; this would probably the biggest play speed increase), abstract range bands for weapons(MechCommander/MC2 actually did this, with weapons operating at "short" "medium" and "long" range bands), and so on and so forth. This is getting in to designing an entirely different game rather than altering the existing one, though.

Personally, I've always preferred smaller engagements in Battletech because they make me care about my individual units more. Throwing a company of mechs around(something that I've done in tabletop a total of twice and christ that was a lot of bookkeeping, and in megamek a couple times) always seemed to devolve into 'mechs getting deleted by massed focus fire that no one was ever designed to withstand one after another until you got down to the small unit combat anyway.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What? This is completely wrong - the amount of internal structure a mech is is based on its weight, and the maximum amount of armor it has is based on that.

Huh? This what each weapon already has, plus a few with minimum values?

Not every mech has the maximum armor value possible and a lot of those mechs have idiosyncratic armor distributions such as especially thin rear armor compared to other mechs in their class. It's common enough for mechs to be under-armored that it is often commented on in the fluff when a mech has a full armor load! If they were standardized, every single mech in each specific tonnage class would have the same armor values distributed the same way, which is emphatically not the case. That's why I specified "armor values" instead of "internal structure values", which are standardized.

Weapons in Battletech are not standardized at all. A PPC and an LRM20 are both broadly "long range weapons" by the standards of 3025, but a PPC's range bands are 1-6(short), 7-12(medium), and 13-18(long) while an LRM20's range bands are 1-7(short), 8-14(medium), and 15-21(long), and each of them have a different minimum range issue with one suffering to-hit penalties and the other simply not being able to fire. You could also argue that a PPC is a "medium range" weapon like a Large Laser or an AC/10, but even those have different ranges than the PPC(with the PPC falling between the LL and AC/10 and the LRM).

Maybe you're missing what I'm talking about with my example of abstracting weapons. I'm not talking about weapons having short/medium/long range bands(which they do), I'm talking about weapons being broadly grouped into range categories that only operate at that range, which is how the MechCommander games did it. An LRM and a PPC would be "long" weapons; both would fire at a specific range band, and only that range band, and when the enemy closed you'd switch over to "medium" weapons such as AC/10s and LLs, then "short" weapons like MLs and AC/20s. This isn't the only way to do it, it's just a way that was done successfully in a Battletech-based game before(albeit a very different game).

e: I suppose calling large unit engagements a "weakness" of Battletech is a bit misleading. The system functions very well for small scale engagements, which is what it's good at and is the type of play I enjoy the most. It's just that almost every bit of fiction beyond the "farm boy inherits a mech from grandpa and joins a lovely merc unit" is focused around company on company or larger engagements, which leads a lot of people to gravitate to that scale of play and it's amusing because the game system is so bad at portraying those.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 27, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

winterwerefox posted:

Having been playing MekHQ a bunch, I think my biggest issue with vehicles is how frail their internals are. Its no comparison. A 60 ton vehicle has a total internals of 24, spread evenly between 4 sections. so 6 internals each section. Losing one section typically destroys the tank. A 60 ton mech has 20 internals in the center torso alone, and keeps living as long as the head, center torso and one leg are active, barring engine crit/gyro kills. A mech might spend a lot of weight on walking propulsion, but the durability difference is nuts.

Tanks also have horrible crit tables that make it so armor penetrations have an extremely good chance to ruin their loving lives whereas a mech is generally operable for quite some time after having one or more locations laid open provided you don't eat a CASE-less ammo explosion or get cored. Even well-armored tanks have horrible problems with through-armor crits for this reason. Hell yeah I'm a 3/5 assault tank with a billion guns and 50 frontal armor! *LBX pellet tags ammo bin through armor, tank turns into giant fireball*

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Eej posted:

Uh which MW games didn't have poptarting aside from maybe MW1 (because duh) and MW2 because I don't remember that far back very well.

MW3 multiplayer wasn't too infested with poptart builds, but that was mostly because the netcode was so amazingly bad that attempting to actually hit an evading target while jump jetting was fairly difficult. MW3 multi was mostly about giant medium laser boats alpha striking each other.

MW4, Black Knight, and MW4 Mercs were poptart paradise, though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Eej posted:

I am concerned to discover that there was such a thing as competitive MW4

There was! I played it when I was a mere teenager. I was in some clan that I don't even remember the name of but was super duper nerdy and demanded people use designated callsigns and organized people into specific lances that had specific intended battlefield roles because the league we were in involved tonnage and number limits for battles. I was in the heavy fire support lance so our lance was something like a Loki(me, for BAP/ECM), 2 Catapults, and a Vulture, since this was before the mech paks or the expansions.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Who cut this trailer? Mechwarrior's core concept is giant robots shooting the poo poo out of each other so they decide to cut a trailer with none of that happening(besides a half second clip of an Atlas's arm blowing off) and instead a bunch of random modern-looking MBTs and attack helicopters having stock explosions to a loving bad metal 1812 overture?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

MechaCrash posted:

Can you fire any small weapons while meleeing in tabletop? Because the Charger carries five small lasers, and in this game, that's classed as a "support weapon" along with machine guns and flamers. And you can fire those after punching someone. I'd imagine that an 80 tonner punching someone and then unloading a five small lasers in their face, or using five machine guns with their enhanced crittiness, might be worth trying. Basically a Firestarter, except the punch itself also hurts.

You can fire any weapons you want and also melee in the same turn; the restriction is that you can't fire weapons from a body part you're meleeing with. So you could fire all your arm mounted weapons and then kick, for example.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

This really needs to be emphasized. The charger is a garbage mech in-universe and is universally derided as such in all the various lore. As the name implies it is more or less built to be a gimmick mech for using the charge damage rules (which CAN be devastating on a fast assault) but so much room is taken up by engine that it has poo poo all for weapons.

Hypothetically according to the lore it was designed to be a super heavy scout that could do its job while more or less ignoring the lights that frequently make up counter-scouting forces. Problem: it's terrible at that because even a loving locust out-ranges it AND is faster than it, so it can theoretically get plinked to death with a single medium laser. The short-medium-long range on a SL is 1-2-3 while on a ML it's 1-3-5 which means something with a ML that can out-speed it can fire on it forever without ever needing to get in the Charger's engagement envelope. This, again, is something commented on in-universe. Successfully getting a charge off is also kind of difficult and requires winning the initiative and being close enough to connect.

The only reason it stays in production is that ca 3025 the automated manufacturing processes used in a lot of mech factories are not something you can easily gently caress with and a few factories in Kurita space are basically stuck making the dumb things. There are tons of attempts to re-jigger it to not suck, but since it's stuck with that ginormous engine there isn't too much you can do. IIRC the most popular was ditching all the SLs for a handful of MLs which at least gave it enough reach to not get sniped to death by a goddamned wasp. It says a loving LOT that the very first thing Kurita did when they started recovering tech in the 3040s was retool the charger line to make a new mech on the same chassis that wasn't criminally useless.

Back when I played TT chargers were the kind of thing you threw out either for humor, as an albatross, or both. I remember one campaign I GM'd where the players were mercs signed on with some nowhere periphery backwater where the local garrison was 2 urbanmechs and a charger, all of which the locals wanted protected. I also ran a game where the PCs were pirates in beat to poo poo light mechs and the big boss fight at the end of the first session was a show down with a local pirate lord who drove a similarly trashy charger.

Watching a stinger and a wasp just loving DISMANTLE a charger was a good illustration of just how much of a garbage mech it is.

If you play by BV rules in 3025 TT, Chargers are actually horribly devastating units. You can field a basic garbage Charger for less BV than a goddamn Shadow Hawk and the Charger's fists and legs are effectively AC/20s for the purposes of melee, and it's fast enough that the lack of XL engines in 3025 means it can catch a surprising amount of much lighter victims and pretty much rip and tear them like the god damned Doom Guy with a berserk pack. A Charger costs less BV to put on the field than a Vindicator and there's literally nothing the Vindicator can do to stop the Charger from kicking its legs off and punching its head off because the Charger has a respectable amount of armor and literally no ammo bins to crit.

It's a garbage mech when fielded alone but when fielded as a forward striker with other mechs that can stop enemies from kiting it too hard it's monstrously devastating for its BV value. It's actually funny because it's an intentionally badly designed mech in fluff but it actually plays out quite effectively on TT.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

wiegieman posted:

Yes, but it's rare because warships are ruinously expensive and hard to build.

This is one of the most solid reasons in the background. WarShips are UNBELIEVABLY expensive. For reference, an old 3025-era Atlas, the AS7-D(which is the one we'll be seeing in this game), will clock you about 9.6 million c-bills by the old fluff. A hot-off-the-presses front line Clan Omnimech in the form of a Mad Cat, priced out for parts, is around 24 million c-bills. One of the new model WarShips the Inner Sphere begins producing once they get their technological groove back on, the Fox Class Corvette, runs about 16.5 billion C-Bills, and a Fox is actually the WarShip equivalent of a light mech. A McKenna, a famous ship-of-the-line and notable for being the personal flagship of Aleksandr Kerensky(grandpappy of the Clans and leader of the Star League's army) will set you back roughly 21.3 billion. The loss of a single WarShip is enough to be noticeable to the GDP of a successor state. Back in the old FedCom Civil War fluff there's a point where some Foxes tangle with an Avalon(a cruiser) and they all end up going down and one of the observers muses how he just watched the wealth of multiple planetary systems go up in smoke in about 30 minutes of fighting.

In addition, as stated, they're hard to build, hard to maintain, and are also incredibly hard to operate because there haven't been significant naval battles for centuries so there's no such thing as a veteran crew.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 19, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Imagine how the Clanner warship crews must've felt when they learned this. :haw:

There's actually a bit in one of the old books where you get to see a Jade Falcon WarShip crew and the captain is absolutely disgusted and at the end of his rope because he's about to age out of the clan military system without any opportunity to actually win glory because there's no one to engage in glorious space battle with and no Clan ground commander is ever going to lower themselves to asking for orbital fire support against a defenseless ground target.

Ironically he's super excited because he gets his chance when Clan Wolf-In-Exile shows up in-system with a couple of WarShips but he's not able to meaningfully fight back because the slovenly technician caste members of his crew stopped bothering to pay attention to proper maintenance because they never expected their ship to actually go into combat, so the captain ends up disgraced for losing without a fight.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Carcer posted:

How successful where the clans invasion? Did they take significant a significant number of IS planets or did the IS manage to fight them off without significant loss?

This is the Inner Sphere 10 years before the Clan invasion:

This is the Inner Sphere 2 years after the Clan invasion after ComStar fought them at a planet called Tukayyid and bound them by treaty to not continue invading for another 15 years:

The Clans weren't actually working together beyond having a similar broad goal, and each of them conducted their own invasion with their own resources and war planning goals for the most part. Each Clan was racing to try to conquer Terra/Earth first(since they view it as a holy planet), and then whichever Clan conquered it would become the ilClan(big boss Clan) which would then lead the rest of the Clans to conquer everything else. If ComStar hadn't decided to reveal their military and fight the Clans they would have absolutely done this because the FedCom and Draconis Combine were getting loving pasted and the Free Worlds League and Capellan Confederation were absolutely not going to do poo poo to help until it was far too late.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 19, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Nickiepoo posted:

So what I'm hearing here is that Battletech is rad beyond the level I thought it was and I wonder now why it's so relatively niche while Warhammer still seems to be doing so well for itself.

I'm assuming the actual reasons for that are complex and nerdy but if anyone has any insight then I'd be pretty interested.

There's a lot of potential reasons for this. First, as Internet Explorer says, Games Workshop stuck with and controlled their brand with an iron fist and developed it over a long time while perpetually-cash-strapped FASA shotgunned their license everywhere, leading to brand dilution. For example, the most popular and well known Battletech products are the Mechwarrior games and there are many people who bought and enjoyed those games without ever knowing they had anything to do with Battletech in the first place! FASA invented some of the neatest tabletop settings in existence(Battletech, Shadowrun, Crimson Skies) but never, ever had the market penetration or influence that GW had.

Second, Battletech is traditionally aesthetically ugly as hell and didn't improve for a long time. For every instantly memorable iconic design like the Atlas or the Mad Cat, you've got a fat metal baby or a weird mecha-stork running around, and most of the iconic character art is bad sourcebook art.

Third, Battletech's story is really hard to rope kids in with. It's got giant robot fighting but most of the backstory is a relatively complex web of dry setting history and politics.

Fourth, the actual tabletop Battletech game is an absolute loving chore to play. If you don't have the hit tables memorized and your 'mech sheets pre-printed it can take an entire afternoon just to play a single lance on lance. Stuff like Megamek providing automation makes it much better and smoother but playing it with pencils and paper loving sucks.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, those piss me off. They started on the Centurion and worked their way onto every design and it's like: Ok, that would've been a cool one-off unique thing, why is it everywhere? It makes the 'Mechs all look like they came from the same manufacturer. The BattleMaster has them too.

Humans don't have two thumbs, and the 'Mech's hands are controlled mostly by pilot brainwaves. It must be a bear trying to teach yourself to control that second thumb with your pinky. :v:

I was almost 100% certain that neurohelmets only really keyed into the mech's sense of balance and equilibrium, rather than acting as some kind of neural control interface.

Two thumbs is pretty useful if you're actually intending on using the hand to grab things.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 21, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

No. And in HBS Btech you don't want to think "Oh I can just strip all the armor off to save weight!" either. Internal damage repairs are costly and time consuming, plus you can use the arm to soak fire by positioning your mech properly. Plus if the arm is destroyed any attacks that roll the arm as their hit location just transfer inwards to the closest torso section anyways.

"Armor repairs are free and instant, internal repairs are costly and time consuming" seems to me that the game's basically screaming at you to never skimp on armor for campaign purposes. In one-off skirmishes I could definitely see it being worth the tradeoff, but not in the campaign.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nah, Clan pilots with neural implants don't really need physical controls anymore (it's why ProtoMech pilots are fine being swaddled in their tiny little coffin-cockpits, they don't need room to use physical controls)

The balance thing is just the only part the idiots in the Inner Sphere still understand. There's a reason most BattleMechs are humanoid: because it's easier for a person to wrap their brain around something that approximates their range of motion.

Yeah but only psychopathic zealots have EI implants and they're regarded as super dangerous and crazy by most because they drive you insane even if they don't kill you with feedback, so they're hardly the norm.

It seems pretty implausible to me that they don't understand how neurohelmets work, considering that even by the early 3000s they were manufacturing new mechs again. The Merlin hit the field in 3010. That and "battlemechs are humanoid because it simplifies controls" doesn't explain all the mechs with gun arms or reverse-jointed legs. The Catapult doesn't resemble a human body in any way besides "has a vague torso area with two legs that don't function like human limbs at all".

Kanos fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 21, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It's sort of goofy that so many mechs have humanoid hands anyway, considering that it's not like they use them to hold interchangeable weapons or anything. A claw is enough for rudimentary picking stuff up, or if you just want something to hit people with you can either mount a weapon like the hatchet/sword mechs or just have a blunt ramming fist.

I can't imagine articulated mech fingers are in any condition to pick something up after being inserted at high velocity into another mech's torso plating.

e: What I'm really saying is that the handheld weapon rules should have been baseline so the Charger's small laser pistol could be canon and swapped around.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 21, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

As far as the books go? Yeah, they are. There's fluff about the fists being reinforced specifically for that, and the fingers are dexterous enough to pick up stuff without damaging it.

The justification for fingers etc. is that they are actually really useful for manipulating complex objects and as an added bonus your mechwarrior who is plugged in via a neurohelmet intuitively grasps how to use them in a way he might not some kind of industrial claw. Yes this clashes a lot with how you have some exceedingly un-humaniod mechs (hard to imagine morphological similarity helping you drive a locust, for example) but like I said before there are a lot of inconsistencies.

from a more practical standpoint the mechs with hands also act as salvage vehicles after the fights. They're pretty much big rear end industrial machines and frequently the best thing around for picking up some 50 ton mech that had its legs blown off to get it on the salvage crawler is a couple of 100 ton mechs. You see a lot of stuff like this in the assorted fluff, especially when it comes to the rough and tumble merc unit doing salvage operations.

If you want to be really charitable the different control methods (stick, pedals, helmet, waldos, whatever) are a thing for more or the same reason different variations on how to steer a large vehicle are a thing today. Different solutions to specific engineering problems figured out by different teams at different times and used for different purposes. Throw in a few hundred years of cludging poo poo together and "backup" systems sometimes becoming primary systems and you get the mess that we're talking about here. The real answer is that FASA didn't ride herd hard enough on their various authors so there's a lot of contradictory information, but you can hand wave that if you channel your inner sperg hard enough.

edit: oh, and the in-universe explanation for why hand held weapons can't just be swapped willy nilly are targeting and cooling link ups. If your phoenix hawk wants to ditch the large laser rifle it can, but you're going to be cutting a lot of links so it's not going to be usable again until a tech plugs them all back in. It's the kind of thing you do if you want to have both hands free to do something like grab valuable salvage before skeedadling or whatever.

The question is when are you going to manipulate a complex object with a hand proportioned for and attached to a 12 meter tall giant robot? Are there giant robot keypads they need to punch codes into? Giant robot pianos? The most you're going to be doing is picking stuff up(can be done with a waldo claw or a simple prosthesis-style hand) or inserting said fist into the enemy's face(can be done with a blunt ram). Since you're not going to be receiving any tactile feedback and you're working with huge blunt fingers that are reinforced to not splinter to pieces when they're shot by anti-mech weaponry or used to break apart armor plate you're probably not good for any fine manipulation.

"Rough and tumble merc outfit" and "has a couple of assault mechs to lift junked mechs onto a salvage crawler" is a bit of an oxymoron. Most salvage work for tiny merc outfits like the one portrayed in the HBS game is done by the employer, which is where the traditional contractual haggling over what percentage of the salvage goes to the employer and the employee comes from. Small merc outfits don't have the resources to do significant battlefield salvage ops beyond "rip that vindicator's PPC arm off and let's hoof it". Your average mediums and heavies, hands or no, aren't going to have the torque to pick up and manipulate 40 tons of what used to be a Dragon before the ammo bin went up and tore a third of it off. You bring in a crane for that stuff after the shooting is over and your mechs are being serviced.

There are actually handheld weapon rules in the old level 3 ruleset which were neat but are rendered largely pointless by omnimech technology. It would be a good reason for mechs to actually have functional humanoid hands and manipulators, though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Carcer posted:

Do clan pilots not engage in melee combat? While playing megamek I noticed a special ability called "clan pilot training" who's only effect was making melee attacks harder, the tooltip stating they don't engage in dishonorable combat.

I get the mental image of a bunch of IS mechs swarming clan mechs and beating the poo poo out of them while the clanner screechs at them to stop and fight fair.

It's a culture thing. Clanners are trained to abhor waste and to prize efficiency, and melee is a way of fighting that will typically mangle your mech as much as the enemy's so it's viewed as beneath a truly skillful warrior.

That said, much like most Clan honor things, this taboo is easily broken if the difference between victory or defeat is putting your foot through the enemy's kneecap. A slightly dishonorable victory is preferable to an honorable defeat, after all.

e: :argh:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Pirate Radar posted:

Wait, what does he do for italics? I haven’t watched his vids.

Reads the line and then says "in italics" out loud ironically.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

That Italian Guy posted:

Naa LRMs in a brawler suck, but he could scrap some heatsinks and add an SRM6 and have a baby Atlas.

With the introduction of evasion pips and multi-targeting being a thing, incidental weapons outside of your normal range bracket aren't a waste. If you're too close to fire LRMs at someone you can pop them off at another enemy to strip a pip.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Drone posted:

Even though the new intro box is using Classic Battletech rules (for better or worse), it occurred to me while watching videos of the HBS game that Jordan and the team probably designed the game to work as a groundwork for establishing a streamlined version of the tabletop. Not fully modernized (because it's Battletech), but you can see the framework for a new edition there.

Stuff like the initiative phase system and the simplification of heat and what it does to the mech are both really good ideas that I could see translating to a tabletop game very well, yeah.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Grognan posted:

Vigilance is the best poo poo, it doesn't eat an action and applies the brace benefits even if you move.

Most importantly it bumps you up an initiative phase, which matters a whole heck of a lot when you get into the later game heavy/assault slugfests. Bumping someone up before a damaged enemy heavy can mean the difference between coring them out before they move or them getting one last volley in, which can really hurt.

Splode posted:

Also god drat dragons are bad.

HBS Battletech addresses a lot of issues with old TT balance(low caliber autocannons, medium lasers) but there's still some old chestnuts like the "lightest" mechs in a particular weight class typically being tremendous underperformers which is mostly due to how engine weight scales; it is extremely bad to be exceptionally fast for your weight class because it will require a MASSIVE engine to do so. The Cicada actually suffers from this same problem; it's got a giant engine that makes it just as fast as a Spider, but the size of the engine prevents it from mounting equipment to allow it to take advantage of this at all so you just end up with a heavier Spider that costs more to maintain.

HBS Battletech even exacerbates this problem somewhat with stuff like the initiative phase system and heavier mechs needing heavier jump jets so a Dragon actually loses out compared to a Shadow Hawk at the same role despite being a heavier and more expensive machine.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 29, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Sarsapariller posted:

In all seriousness I'm having a lot of fun with this one. I am just about to the second "Priority" mission and so far I've really enjoyed slowly building up a medium lance. I am kind of disappointed that there's not going to be any reason to keep fielding meds after the heavies start showing up, but that's always been the battletech way. It's a shame they haven't done anything to counter that, especially given that in this game in particular heavies and assaults should be really rare. Just keeping them off the battlefield would be a way to keep them out of player hands. It's always been weird to me how the imbalanced rules for BT have always been explained away around the imbalanced items/mechs being extremely rare, but every implementation of them in actual TT or Sim games ends up with these unrealistic slugging matches between 100's of tons of priceless irreplaceable machinery. Game needs some artificial scarcity.

Introducing exceptionally rewarding mission types with drop tonnage limits and comparable opposition is a much better way to put mediums and lights back into the late game campaign without making it so the player never gets to have any cool heavy metal, and it's really easy to justify in a way that makes sense. You wouldn't send a lance of snail speed assault mechs on a grab and smash mission, nor would you send them to recon in force or escort a fast moving convoy. Similarly, you wouldn't send a force of nimble, lightly armed lights and mediums to assault an entrenched base with dug-in defenses.

Sometimes it's fun to play out a light and medium running knife fight and sometimes it's fun to engage in an apocalypse hellwar between heavy/assault forces, so give the player a strong incentive to play their preferences by offering both. You could even throw some wrenches into the works this way by playing with enemy opposition and drop tonnage limitations, like "this renegade deserter from a House unit jacked an Awesome and we want you to scrap him but we can only draw off his forces for so long so you need to go in light and fast" creating a David and Goliath scenario, for example.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Reiterpallasch posted:

why is every story mission terrible

The first part of Raising the Dead is absolutely terrible, but the second half redeems it and is ridiculously fun. The Taurian dude going "OH gently caress THEY'VE GOT STAR LEAGUE MECHS" followed by shitstomping the poo poo out of some garbage dudes with a bunch of ancient wonderweapons is great.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Master Tactician is amazing because it means that your heavies go before their heavies and your assaults go before their assaults, which means that you can kill them or cripple them before they can shoot you. With Vigilance usage it can put your assaults into the medium phase and your heavies into the light phase.

I don't find Breaching Shot to be terribly useful on a lot of designs I run because I tend to run a lot of laserboats and missile swarmers which are reliant on volume of fire. It's absolutely amazing on your AC/20 guy, AC/10 guy, or your Gauss guy but otherwise not something I'd bother to take on literally everyone. Similarly I don't find multi-target to be terribly useful on brawler mechs because you often either don't have the range or the firing arc to meaningfully split your fire when you're knife fighting. It's really good for your mid range or sniper mechs and becomes downright sick later on when you've got an assault with a brick wall of weapons to split between targets.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 3, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I think it's super weird how easy it is for heavies and assaults to get 3-5 evasion chevrons just by using jump jets.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I ran into my first enemy heavies in a mission where I was using all mediums and was outnumbered 4v9(3 of which were heavies) and managed to make it out without losing a mech. It took a lot of falling back to more favorable terrain and funneling and usage of game mechanics(turn your healthy side to the enemy or even expose your back if your front is stripped, it's better than taking internal damage if you can't brace), and everyone was completely out of ammo and badly dinged up by the end, but I got through. I'm hardly a strategic genius, either.

Enemies having even numbers with you would be really boring and easy because even if you discount the difference between AI and player intelligence, the enemy doesn't have access to the insanely powerful morale abilities and it runs exclusively stock variants that are infinitely less optimized than the poo poo you can throw together. The danger and challenge comes from having to battle uphill and make use of your advantages to overcome superior enemies.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Flipswitch posted:

Start with an Urbie with an AC20 duck-taped to the side of it.

There's actually a canon Urbanmech variant with an AC/20 and a whopping one ton of ammo.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Flipswitch posted:

Is there only one Banshee version? I got the 3M, is this the poo poo one?

There's the BNC-3E which is the poo poo one and the BNC-3M which is salvageable by turning it into either a disco bot or a punchbot due to the 3M having a shitload of energy and support hardpoints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The plot Highlander is a fantastic missile boat. You can fit the Gauss, 2 LRM20s, jump jets, and a copious amount of armor and ammo with no real issue.