Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Rygar201 posted:

Why do some people seem to think beta testing is supposed to be play this finished game early?
The dozens of games that get played to death every year as early access

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I really like that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I will repeat what I said a while ago: I'll be happy if we get it before 2018. Christmas would be great. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a early next year release.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Doesn't matter. The good ones end up funded. By good ones I mean people with experience doing what they say they will, a business plan, realistic goals etc. I've yet to see one I thought was cool not get funded. If anything there are way more pie in the sky ones that get it and flop.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I went on a road trip and read that fan made TRO. There are some legitimately funny bits in it, like the computer for the Phoenix Hawk being made by Apple, a company that couldn't figure out how to spend all its profits so it bought a planet.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Feindfeuer posted:

Giant Robots punching and shooting each other doesn't make a lot of sense if you already got tanks and planes, but they are fun. That's all that counts. Turns out that in the far future, the Ares Convention was not about safety of non combatants, but about making war more fun, so everyone got battle mechs. That's good enough of an explanation for me.

The in-game explanation is the suitability of the vehicles. Within the context of the TT rules it makes a lot of sense. It is obscenely easy to immobilize a vehicle with a hit to the tracks in TT, which makes mechs a LOT better at taking damage and continuing to be effective.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

sending an email that they were going to send an email when the keys were ready was just cruel. I immediately quit the poo poo I was doing, came over to my gaming computer, and . . . :sigh:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

Still no key :(

Likewise.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

It's here! :d:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Lol I just had a DFA happen in my first match.

The computer used it. I am very pleased to see an AI that can figure that poo poo out.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

Gameplay seems solid. Although headshots might be a little too common. In just two skirmish games, I've had three mechs get head-capped. Maybe I'm just (un)lucky.

Yeah, I haven't seen it yet.

What I have noticed is some odd AI behavior when they have LRMs. I had a match where as soon as a light got LOS on me the AI reserved an Atlas and an Orion to be LRM boats for way longer than it should have.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Here's my $.02:

Even without multiplayer I'm glad I backed because I'm having fun right now and, frankly, this game with a campaign layer is something I'd happily spend $50 on. So, for me, this is just getting to play some skirmish on a game that I'm paying what I think is a fair price for.

THAT SAID, I don't think I'd pay the extra $25 to get beta backer status if you don't have it already. I'm having a blast today, but I can tell this is going to get old fast as SP only with the limited selection of mechs and skirmish only. These kind of games really need that sense of growing your unit to tie together all the individual matches and make you want to take that next contract. IF you're really, REALLY into MP maybe back when that becomes available? I know I've got an old middle school buddy who I"m eagerly looking forward to having Mumble, BT, and beer nights with once that comes out.

Also, yeah, AI is no slouch. I've gotten my rear end handed to me a few times.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

canepazzo posted:

This game owns hard. I also am getting owned hard by the AI. Everything owns.

Oh yeah, game's awesome.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Jesus christ on a crutch. Want to see hilarious? Put a pilot with that evade skill in an Atlas. They need to lock some of the skills to specific weight classes or something, because being a 100 ton block of armor that can close to point blank, matrix dodge half the shots, and then face tank the rest is just loving obscene.

Also I'm really liking the initiative system. You can absolutely kite an assault around with a light, get to a safe space, reserve until the final phase, then double-move to core the fucker out from behind. Jenners are really good at this because they've got the speed to stay alive and the firepower to close the deal.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Colonial Air Force posted:

I do hope they have other mission types, though, because I have little reason to be agressive.

Way back in the pre-alpha video they had a base assault kind of thing going where they beat up on a bunch of vehicles to secure some objective and then reinforcements in the form of a bunch of enemy mechs showed up. Or something like that, I haven't watched the video in forever but it's out there. I guarantee it'll be more than just smashing two lances together like we've got right now.

gently caress, a couple of the guys who worked on this were with Mech Commander and those had plenty of different mission objectives.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I can't believe I just now noticed there is a random setting for the enemy mechs.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

isildur posted:

Specifically the data format for events and contracts is really, really easy to work with, so I'm expecting that basically anyone can create tons of new content for the game if they want to.

And here I thought I couldn't get any more excited about this game.

Seriously that's awesome. I'm still playing mechcommander 1 and 2 all these years later because of the really good fan made campaigns for them. Giving the community the ability to do that could lead to some awesome stuff.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

isildur posted:

^^^
nah, I was in agreement. I just wanted to give a little bit of the 'why' for the stuff we changed. and the process, which involved waaaay more prototyping than any game I've ever worked on before. For any given rules variant we probably prototyped it and tried it out.

I'll let our AI engineer know. My guess is that nobody else on the AI's team was a good fit for the 'sniper' role, so the Centurion stepped up and said 'i guess i'll do it'. I've seen that behavior in about half the battles I've watched on Twitch today, so it's clearly some decision-making happening, and not just a fluke.

Yeah I'll throw in that I'm seeing this A LOT too. The Atlas in particular seems to only be used for its lrms by the AI. I've never seen one lead the charge, only loiter in the rear pretending to be a fat trebuchet.

poo poo two matches ago I had an AI atlas indirect firing while a trebuchet got close enough to my line to get gutted by a hunchback. Fucker really wanted to use those medium lasers I guess.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

isildur posted:

If that was on Arctic River, the AI is really awful at that map. It ends up running long-range Mechs down into the river and getting clogged up trying to get LOS. I don't know what the deal is there, but we know that map is kind of stupid and we included it because it's kind of stupid, to get feedback like this. :) but if you're looking for challenge, it's not the one to pick unless you carefully build the AI lance to cope with the short engagement distance.

It was in that one desert map. The one with no water but the mineral outcrops that mess with laser damage

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Psion posted:

Clearly I need to try this Trebuchet boat strategy of LRM-sandpapering for pilot kills. What's a good rest-of-lance for that?

A light running the sensor lock skill, a tanky mech with the dodge skill, and whatever else will fit. Ideally something that also has some lrms but that can off tank as well - cents are good for this.

Use your light to get spots and locks at range, retire it for the beefy tank when poo poo closes.

Personally I'm not seeing lrm pilot kills that much, but it's a workable tactic for softening poo poo up at range as well.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Either use the spotting skill [note that the spotter doesn't need los] or use the evade skill and cover. Either will preserve your light for guiding in lrms.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Also I don't really think being up high should give plus to hit or anything like that. Those mechanics make sense in cover rich shooters like xcom because you're essentially shooting over the cover, but that's not the case here. It does what getting on any hill does - gives you a view over the obstruction to see what's on the other side.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

JacksLibido posted:

Hopefully, as of right now I feel actively discouraged from running light mechs in front of assualts. I'm doing the top end battle with the default loadout that has an atlas, an orion, a panther and a commando and running my lights in front just gets them spotted and killed.

Save them in the back then run them at flanks and rear armor. Commandos are brutal if they get in the enemies rear arc. If it's not a spotter then, yeah, running lights in front of assaults is kind of a bad idea.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I don't know, I"m really just not having the survivability problems with lights that you are. I mean, they die, but frankly I'm seeing my mediums go down more frequently just because they tend to get tasked with taking on poo poo bigger than them a lot.

Are you using the initiative system much? Once things get going I routinely hold my lights at the edges of fights, reserve them to the last round, then run in and shoot something and run back out in the first phase of the next round.

Really the deadliest things to my lights have been urbanmechs because the AC10 is a motherfucker when you're in a commando and they get the same initiative profile as their speedier cousins.

As far as injuries, in every other MW/BT game that's been another resource to manage. In mech commander it's not uncommon to have your pilots get a bit hosed up over the course of a mission, and they heal at a set rate after that. HOld them out and they heal faster iirc. If you really need your ace pilot wrecking face in your Atlas this mission, stick him in with half health, but it's a risk. Or hold him back to heal up and run with a lesser pilot. I'm not that worried about that aspect of the game since it's something we've seen executed right in past MW-themed unit management simulators.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

Edit: Like, with the way initiative works in this game I'm fairly sure a Light should beat an Heavy or Assult pretty handily so long as they have some form of cover within sprinting range.

Yeah, I've had more than one match where a gunboat light soloed a heavy or an assault that got isolated at the edge of things.

Anyways, I decided to try goon-favorite LRM squad. I ran two trebuchets, an Atlas, and a commando. I mis-clicked and got the LL commando instead of the SRM one I like, but it didn't matter. I faced off against the default assault lance with the awesome in it, since random under-tons them too much and I wanted to see how it really did. Skills were evade on the commando, bullwark on both the trebuchets, and I decided to experiment with sensors on the atlas but didn't realize the lock gets wiped at the beginning of the next turn so lol that was a waste.

I ended up winning with zero casualties, and my most hosed up mech was a trebuchet that lost an arm and had some serious internal damage on one torso and stripped armor on the other.

1) LRM knockdown needs to be tuned way, WAY back. Two trebuchets is a guaranteed knockdown. I killed the enemy Awesome at max LRM range that way without really loving up its armor too much. Knock down for a guaranteed pilot injury and slinging 60 LRMs a round you're going to get at least one, sometimes two head hits naturally. Repeat for 2-3 rounds and you have a dead assault pilot. As it stands right now LRMs are a hard counter to assaults. Well, really a hard counter to anything but if you do that with a medium or even the thinner skinned heavies you might just kill the mech before killing the pilot. Personally I'd put it at LRMs needing to do about half to two-thirds of the knockdown damage they do right now. If we had MP right now LRM gank squad would be THE way to roll.

2) Atlas armor is perhaps a bit too much. An enemy vindicator got to my rear and I was able to just ignore him with no ill effect for three turns while I ripped an Orion to pieces. I get that the Atlas is supposed to be, well, the motherfucking Atlas but yeesh.

3) the commando came out just fine through a combination of using the initiative system and running between patches of forest. The only real problem was that the Awesome pilot had precision strike and decided to kill the metal baby at one point. That required breaking LOS and going elsewhere for a while. One turn I hosed up and withheld initiative at the wrong moment and an enemy centurian got a shot at me without any buffs, but happily he missed with the AC and the forests mitigated the LRMs. Lights feel like they're in a good place to me with the high risk / high reward thing. Will I be using lights on an assault mission in the way late game of the campaign? I don't know, but I see a role for them in general.

4) game remains fun after 5 hours of playing a super restricted beta.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

Plz no ghost heat triggers /shudder

I think it's just the UI being weird and inconsistent as far as heat goes. Without being able to see numbers it ends up being really hard to say.

Also to be clear, I don't think the classic Mechwarrior game heat bar itself needs to go, it just needs some labeled markers and some detail text when you mouse over it so players have some context as to their heat capacity, etc etc.

Frankly it could do with being larger as well. In fact a lot of the UI elements specific to individual mechs need to be increased in size - poo poo like the icons for being in cover, etc.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

isildur posted:

Oh also: multi-shot is for doing something with your LRMs while you're melting faces with your medium lasers.

I think part of the issue with multi-shot is that there are way better skills for your LRM mechs. If your trebuchet or catapult is in face melting range you already kinda hosed up, and in that situation bullwark is going to be a better option anyway. I'd rather just take the shot at the mech in LRM range and leave whatever brawlers Im' running that match to deal with the guy in my LRM mechs grill. Plus, everything runs hot enough that you really need to do either/or 90% of the time.

I mean, I can see the uses, other poo poo just over shadows it. Sure, it would be nice to do something with that LRM on the centurion or the Atlas once you're in knife fight ranges, but in both cases evasion is hands down the superior choice because it keeps you from getting gutted out in the brawl. Or bullwark in that scenario for the damage reduction.

Personally I think it needs to do something and then have engaging multiple targets be a secondary, minor effect. Maybe extend the max ranges of weapons, or let you choose to take called shots on non-prone targets if you're not doing the multiple targets thing. I dunno, the issue is just that it's so clearly inferior to any of the other major choices.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

I dunno where I was going with this, other than us thinking that heat is really harsh in this game is probably equal parts "Not remembering how much SHS mechs suuuucked on heat"

It's 100% this. My old TT group started with the 3rd edition boxed set and played a LOT of 3025 tech before picking up all the 3050 source books and going deep on clan invasion era stuff. We had a lot of fun with that, but in the end we liked the balance in the 3025 tech better (and the universe, frankly - merc for hire in an era of warring states is a lot more compelling than fending off an invasion) and ended up doing our last few campaigns in that setting. The addition of DHS to the game made heat management almost trivial, while it was an integral part of how it originally played. Playing with 3025 era tech it's as much about figuring out when to fire and when to cool down as it is about positioning.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Skoll posted:

If the AI is retardedly good, I'm sure as gently caress going to be save scumming. You don't go through the efforts of making goon pilots / people you know with the intention of killing them unless they're Ohsh.

Or Veedub.

Well, you do if you're running a LP or something.

I agree with Zaodai's general point that pilot death needs to be a thing and that you'll never stop save scumming. And, frankly, that's fine. Saying "that sucked, I'm reloading" is fun for some people while managing the chaos of perma death in an iron man game is fun for others. It's why XCOM lets you make the choice, for example.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

First campaign mission I"m putting Vdub and Skoll in twin locusts and doing pirouettes in front of a heavy tank.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Rhymenoserous posted:

Mr. Bibbs in an armor stripped atlas that only walks backwards.

Commoners in the same, only somehow he wins.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sarsapariller posted:

I feel like the best way to make pilot death matter is to give the player some way to mitigate it. Be it a medic skill, or an eject mechanic, or something- the game needs some element that lets the player make a choice related to pilot risk. As it is, every time you put them on the field you are just rolling the dice on whether or not they come back alive. That's not terribly engaging. I feel like having to decide whether to bail on that Atlas with mostly intact armor but 4 wounds, saving the pilot but losing use of the mech for the remainder of the mission, would add a lot of tension.

This is a good idea. Kind of similar to how dumping ammo (or ejecting) worked in TT. Start breaching armor on an atlas and you better bet ammo was getting dumped out the back.

Hell, if we weren't playing with vehicles or infantry first turn in a Warhammer I'd punch out the MG ammo. gently caress that liability.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Alchenar posted:

Oh that's smart and good.

I did a test game and I'm still adjusting from not really understanding TT Battletech to not really understanding HBS Battletech.

Yeah, one thing I will say is that it's close enough in a lot of key ways (heat, movement, facing, weapon ranges) to TT that having a firm grasp of that system is a huge leg up.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

I only played 2 matches, won both handily, but I think the internal damage isn't enough. Shutting down was a really big problem, but internal structure damage wasn't significant enough for me to not fire. I was doing way more damage with my shots then I was receiving as internal damage, so I kept up the push as much as I could.

Yeah, it's really negligible. Frankly I"ve just been ignoring it. They need to triple, at least, the heat damage.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Rygar201 posted:

or narrow the band between OH and SD

Nah, that just further exacerbates the problem of there being no real difference between "normal heat" and "oh gently caress shut down I'm screwed."

Now that I think about it what they need to do is broaden that band but make the damage scale. If you're just barely kissing the top of the OH it does just a few points like it does now, but if you're way redlining it you really get hosed up.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Overheat is one of the few areas pgi got it right. Well at least post fixing insta overhear headshots. The heat will gently caress YOU UP and you don't want to do it too much, but it's situationally really useful to take the hit and dish out some more damage.

As it stand there is no reason no to in BT. Once you realize how small those orange numbers are you just say gently caress it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Assaults and heavies are the ones I yolo and overheat routinely with no ill effects.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Bolow posted:

After dicking around more in skirmish, I feel like Sensor Lock on a scout mech coupled with an LRM boat might be a little too good, especially considering that the commando and jenner have huge sensor ranges. This might be less of an issue in the campaign mode since ammo might not be readily available or easily replenished between missions, but they're pretty brutal in skirmish

Yup. I just did a round where I took 2 catapults and 2 trebuchets (1 treb had sensor lock) against the default assault lance with the atlas, orion, and two lights.

I won with a single dead trebuchet that I lost early when I forgot to sensor lock the first light I saw, which let it get close enough to gently caress me up. LRM fire from the Orion and Atlas finished it off. AFter that it was just a matter of locking down mechs and beating the pilots to death.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Bubbacub posted:

If you tried this against a human player, what's the counter? Stay in cover and flank the LRM boats?

Try to work a light or a fast medium inside their minimum range. Evade helps a lot with that. I suppose you could also bum rush them with a heavy or an assault and use your other mechs to keep any defenders off your rear end.

The thing that makes LRMs so deadly isn't their damage, range, or even the fact that they spread damage out enough to get a bunch of head shots, it's the knockdown that they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

I could see where multiplayer becomes an un-fun game of range skirting indirect fire against long ranged sensor locked targets.

In its current state? Yeah, if we had MP right now it would be LRM hell.

I've said it a dozen times so far, and I make it the comment in every survey I submit, but the easy fix is to dial back the stability damage that LRMs do. They're in a good place as far as actually hurting poo poo from range goes, but getting a free pilot hit from falling once a round if you focus with 4 LRM 15s (plus whatever head hits you get from sprinkling 60 LRMs over it - usually 1 or 2) means you can kill the pilot pretty quick.

edit: once you got a couple LRM boats it would also trivialize salvaging good mechs in campaign mode. Ammo would be a concern, but they can't make every mission so long that every ammo carrying mech runs out or energy weapons will reign supreme. That's a pretty obvious balance issue, so I assume they're on that, but in the absence of seriously un-fun ammo scarcity the first heavy you see is going to become yours via LRM pilot murder.

edit x2: that said I'm guessing they're on this. We've heard right here how apparently flamers were the god kings of poo poo mountain at one point in the alpha, so it's not like they're not used to tweaking OP poo poo.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 2, 2017