Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Were you a backer? Because I was. I was in the game something like $500 from the word 'go.' I never felt like it returned on that investment and MWO is the reason I almost never spend money on early access games these days.

I'm glad you had fun with it, but PGI promised a game they ultimately never delivered on. If they'd marketed it as PVP team deathmatch from the start I'd have been much happier with final product. If they hadn't pushed it up to 12v12 and had kept the 8v8 they initially balanced for (which scales fairly nicely to 8v5 IS vs. Clan) I'd have been much happier with it. If their pricing scheme hadn't been so predatory, if their balancing hadn't been "make the new poo poo OP then nerf it the moment it becomes available for in game currency," if their leadership showed any indication of wanting to make a good game rather than wanting to make something cheap and low effort they could use to farm money? I'd have been much happier with it.

It's death by a thousand cuts, with PGI's leadership consistently asking "what's the quickest, laziest, lowest-effort way for us to minimally achieve [goal]." MWO is a minimum viable product that never developed beyond its minimum viability. It is just enough of a game, that suggests hidden depths to its mechanics (which don't exist), for people to spend money on. And then the sunk cost fallacy keeps them spending because you can't fully upgrade your new Crusader without the extra 20% or whatever c-bill bonus from premium time and...

Chainclaw posted:

And for $500 garbage, that bullshit is in most modern free to play games.

This is true but it's also the reason why I don't play any Freemium games. gently caress that phone app money-farming bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Q_res posted:

You sure about that?

Fairly sure. HBS was sub-licensing the license in some fashion, which is why they were able to use PGI's 'Mech designs keeping everything consistent and saving HBS a design step. In return PGI got the HBS tanks to upscale for MW5. IIRC about the time MW5 came out Microsoft was reconsidering their license to PGI, which could also be why HBS didn't want to jump right back into that pool.

Best case scenario for me would be Paradox buying the Mechwarrior license from Microsoft, but I dunno how likely that is. I can't see Microsoft ever giving up an occasioanlly-profitable license and my dreams of a Crusader Kings-esque BattleTech game will probably never get met, even if I hear they do really enjoy heavy metal in Sweeden.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Paingod556 posted:

Which was a StarCitizen clone so blatant, they stole art assets from SC for their not-actually-a-Kickstarter.

Then when they only got like a grand in pre-orders (out of an expected half a mil)

"You can fly ships in our ship flying game" was the $1,000,000 stretch goal, lol.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

pork never goes bad posted:

This feels pretty unfair to me. Chainclaw articulated their position and here is trying to summarize the difference, which is a difference in expectations.

It was PGI's responsibility to manage those expectations. As I said myself: If PGI had honestly said "We're building an 8v8 or 12v12 team deathmatch game" I'd have been significantly happier with them because that's what they built.

That isn't what they claimed they were creating.

This is what PGI claimed they were creating:
MechWarrior Online lets players command at will: go head-to-head online alone or with friends in high-octane Conquest and VS modes. Band together and form your own Mercenary Corp, invite friends and battle other player-made Merc Corps for prestige and power. Pledge your allegiance to one of the five great houses and fight for control of precious Inner Sphere planets.

You will play a key role in a dynamic and ever-changing universe where player exploits impact the world around you and daily story updates and frequent content additions create epic changes to the Inner Sphere universe and its many inhabitants.

So when I blame PGI for overhyping their poo poo and setting bad expectations? That's why. :pgi:

pork never goes bad posted:

though expecting to be able to turn the mechs heads is a head scratcher for me, that's for sure
It was about the 'Mech visuals and had nothing to do with expected articulation. The lack of necks gives the PGI 'Mechs a very hunched appearance which makes them look even wider than they already are. It's a personal dislike of some of their design choices even though their visuals are usually pretty good.

If I was getting really nitpicky I'd talk about how much I hated their two-thumbed hands.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 19, 2023

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
No amount of nostalgia will convince me to give PGI money.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries had procedurally generated "filler" missions you could take to advance the clock if you didn't like any of the available story missions.

MW:5 is like the polar opposite of that. It's all filler with a few rare story missions to break up the monotony.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
None of them is even remotely close to canonical, just play the one that you find most fun.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
ComStar has LosTech, but rarely actually fields it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Firestarter is amazing in Vanilla, it's the tankiest Mech in the game.

The AI will prioritize an evasion-specced Firestarter over your heavier Mechs (because it thinks it can one-shot the low armor target), but with enough evasion it'll assess its hit chances and usually fire only a single medium laser.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 7, 2024

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

modern battle tech has objective based missions.

Tabletop BattleTech has had mission objectives since at least 3E. That's back in the 90s, before BV balancing was a thing.

PGI's poor decisions in MW5 can't be blamed on the tabletop game. Pinpoint accuracy on all weapons requiring huge waves of enemies to provide a challenge is entirely on them.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
As if PGI would be brave enough to feature an Elemental.

Or a pilot, for that matter.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

evilmiera posted:

I wonder what tabletop trapping ended up making them program crappy AIs, or not hire a competent VA director, or design a skill system that makes your guns feel weak until several dozen hours into the game.

PGI's poor decisions can't be blamed on the tabletop game.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Pattonesque posted:

shoot are there any non-modded BT games that have them?

Mechwarrior 2 & 3 and MechCommander had enemy Elementals.

If you're asking if any game has ever had an Elemental as a character or even a background NPC, the answer is no.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
If by grim, you mean terrible, I'd agree. Gibson was a world in the FWL notable for its protections for religious freedom; so when the Word showed up and said "Thomas Marik gave us your planet, swordpoint convert to the Word, or Die" the locals were shockingly unhappy about that. William Blane, politically astute close personal friend of Thomas Marik and the primary WoBbie character in Ideal War? One of the rare "sane" WoBbies? Oh well, nothing for it but to exterminate all the locals under the guise of peacekeeping and Sir Paul Masters, Knight of the Inner Sphere, and representative of the the Free Worlds League is apparently perfectly OK with both the extermination of a planetary population and the Word of Blake's very cool "mercs get paid for bringing in ears" policy.

Blane gets assassinated by the Word immediately before the Jihad because he wasn't extreme enough.

Sir Paul Masters is the most credulous idiot in the entire setting, and as much as I joke about Regulus not being terrible (they're pretty terrible), Ideal War wants you to think that being willing to nuke your own Feudal Space King to stop a genocide is wrong and proof that Regulus is pure evil instead of the truth: Regulus is desperate because the League doesn't have (and has never had) their back, and Gibson is right on their border and one of the worlds they have a good relationship with.

Ideal War was such a sour note we didn't get another FWL-focused book until Star Lord--and Star Lord was so Star Lord we didn't get another FWL-focused book until...

After the Dark Age? :shrug:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Kanos posted:

ComStar built up its strength and resources for 300 years and at the height of their power and authority the best "overthrow the Inner Sphere" plan they had was Operation Scorpion, which was supposed to be a comm blackout -> blackmail operation and a physical uprising in Clan space, whereas the WoB were cast out of ComStar in 3052 with absolutely nothing and their primary military was formed of individual ComStar dudes defecting with their 'mechs and by 3067 they had infinite doom legions like Cobra.

ComStar built up its strength and resources for 300 years until Myndo Waterley got impatient and hosed everything up with Operation Scorpion, revealing ComStar's hand too early (rather than helping the Clans get to Terra, politely "turning it over" to them in a way that would leave them unsatisfied, and committing the IlClan to a hellwar with all of its neighbors then picking up the pieces after). The Word of Blake were cast out of ComStar in 3052 with apparently nothing save for the 85% of ComStar that secretly still supported them. They parlayed their sob story (and a top-level sleeper agent) into assuming direct control of the entire Free Worlds League, whose economic resources they turned towards producing Cobra-esque legions of doom with the intent of wiping out a Clan by themselves to secure their position in the newly-reformed Star League.

They then hosed everything up by throwing a tantrum when Sun Tzu dissolved the second Star League, and said "If you won't let us unite you as your leader; we'll unite you against us!" leaving their very obvious Not A Sleeper Agent Devlin Stone (whichever brainwashed Davion he was) to do the acutal uniting while their extremely tough, durable troops with severely limited lifespans (Manei Domini only live for 5-10 years due to all the cyber surgery) started self-destructing.