Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Confession: I like the clan mechs the most because my only experience with BattleTech is playing the PSX version of MechWarrior 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Gotta start saving up my PUBG crate bux.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Someone just scoop up the myriad of licenses or whatever it takes to get MechWarrior 2 on Steam or GOG kthx ilu

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
wrong thread

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

cugel posted:

It's really low effort but I'm lazy.

Change it to: "It's 'Mechaning!"

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I placed my preorder today on Steam and have the game preloaded. What time will I be able to play it?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
aw yeah

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I started playing the vanilla campaign again and I think I spent five turns with four mechs trying to kill the world's toughest Firestarter. Even knocked down it just would not die.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

rocketrobot posted:

They can be harder to neuter than a spider sometimes.

It's like I spend three turns just breaking limbs or components, but that last leg or center torso is just impenetrable. I love it too that while I gather up parts for a Grasshopper, my Shadow Hawk runs all SRMs and a small laser, five jump jets, and maximum armor, and a Commando just somehow manages to rip its arm off.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
They seem like they'd be decent on a desert, space, or martian map.

But I'm sure I'll be told why they're not.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Clan Jade Falcon 4 lyfe

CAW CAW

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

RBA Starblade posted:

Play as a clan fighting a rival clan for planets or whatever, so you have an honor meter that raises and lowers by how much tonnage you bring to a mission. The final mission is a 1v1 Locust fight; the ending is the Inner Sphere stepping on the winner with an Atlas.

Not Hunchback IICs?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

RBA Starblade posted:

Are those cheaper and or shittier than Locusts, if so, then yes use those :haw:

The important thing is the campaign goes from using a bunch of really cool powerful gear to worthless junktrash as you get more Honorable*

Clanners that are old or weak get put into Hunchback IICs for one last hurrah and younger ones made a sport out of fighting each other in them in trials.

Or did I miss something that clanners use weaker hardware to prove their valor just in general?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I got an achievement when I finished the campaign because Dekker managed to live to the end.

Too bad about Medusa though.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Bubbacub posted:

Haha, that's an achievement? Nice.

My only KIA in my first campaign was Dekker getting headcapped by a Victor's AC20.

I'll admit that I'm a save scumming piece if poo poo, so he probably survived that long because of that or I lucked out into him just getting his arms and legs broken and he'd spend months in sick bay.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

DrPop posted:

The board game Battletech Clan Invasion Kickstarter is live and already funded: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/450703636/battletech-clan-invasion

What is the best place to start in that? Get the base set and let 'er rip?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I feel like I need some kind of weekend-long seminar on how to allocate armor, ammunition, and heat sinks. Whenever I play, I just stuff things wherever I can in the torso or legs or in an arm if that arm has no weapons.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Does vertical distance get accounted for with jump jets?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I like MWO :ohdear:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Stravag posted:

Mwo flea is too refined for a mech thats suppossed to be literally "the cheapest pos you could strap MGs to and compete in solaris"

It has legs, a cockpit, and some hard points.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have never played the tabletop game and am completely lost on this conversation.

I also seem to be fond of the JagerMech.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
One Atlas, three UrbanMechs.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
But no armor quirks for the older mechs. Sure.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My Phoenix Hawk looks like Master Chief.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Cease to Hope posted:

post your monster-energy-rear end blackjack too, it also rules

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have reset my career about a hundred times. I just want to get a good start so I can make reaching Kerensky rank even possible. I cannot seem to be able to punch up at all and have this awful experience of everything going horribly wrong every single time.

I over-armor to the point that I'm losing enough firepower that it's affecting my ability to come out on top because I'm so utterly paranoid that going a touch under is just going to get a critical limb blown to pieces no matter what I do to increase evasion, being mindful of my facing, or juggling initiative for interdiction. If it can go wrong, it will go wrong beyond my worst fears. I just cannot figure this loving game out. It just feels like by the time I can get completely off of light mechs, I've burned about four hundred days to even get there because I just can't seem to beat anything down to get enough salvaged parts to advance. Nothing ever seems to work out.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
In the not-too-distant future
31st century A.D.
There lived a guy named Alex
Not too different from you or me

He worked at Star League Defense Force
Just another guy being a great warhorse
He did a good job keeping peace in place
But the Great Houses didn't like him
So he shot himself into space!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Not bad for the second career that I've finished.

Even though I pre-ordered the game, I didn't get around to buying the season pass until it was on sale last December. The flashpoints are still new to me, so I burned a lot of time chasing flashpoints. The final match against Natasha Kerensky and the Bounty Hunter seems like it's not worth it because then I have to go back and knock the factions I've tried getting on the shitlists of back down to -100. It doesn't help that the upgraded parts you can get are pretty common, unless you can loot their double heatsinks (I seemed to have destroyed every single one or didn't pay close enough attention in the salvage menu). It seems like it's only worth it to do the Heavy Metal campaign deep enough in to acquire the Bull Shark and then to just ignore it for the rest of the career.

I chose to have good reputations with Steiner, Liao, Kurita, and the pirates. Getting a low reputation against Canopus is something I should have tried to do first because they have a really small presence. Unless I decide to side with Marik the next time, I might have an easier time getting Canopus down. It's really annoying that you can't score points by befriending Arano, but at least it's another angle to attack the Taurians from. I'm not sure if there's really an optimal alignment of allegiances to take. Liao has the biggest turf and the most stores that I can buy double heatsinks from, but they have the most enemies. Marik seems like a good one to side with because Canopus has a lot of presence in their space and higher difficulty missions. So many flashpoints are offered by either Steiner or Kurita and contracts against them are so infrequent that it seems pointless to try to tank your reputations with them.

The next time I try to go for Kerensky rank, I think I need to hit certain milestones. Having a full lance of heavies by day 200 seems like a good one, but I think I should be running at least one Annihilator or any decent assault mechs within my first year. I had to skip the first invitation to the black market because I was short on cash when it came up and another invitation took some time to appear. By coincidence, a lot of black market locations did not have any Annihilator parts for me to buy even when I had the cash to buy three of them at once. Having a Cyclops around really helps out with blowing the heads off of enemy assaults because I can deny them all from ever attacking if I roll well for headshots. Since the Cyclops just can't push out a lot of damage, I wonder if it would be wrong to attach a TAG to it so I can buff the damage to targets that I want to prioritize. Arming my Annihilators with UAC/5s seems to be my taste because it grants me ten chances to hit the head on a called shot instead of only eight chances with UAC/10s (it still takes two touches to destroy the head with either weapon).

I think I'm done with Battletech for a while. I've been grinding and grinding at it with resets and I just need to get away from it for a while. I wish this game's community wasn't deader than Latin. It seems to have just completely disappeared about ten minutes after it launched (because no one under the age of forty has heard of Battletech), so a lot of information I can find in writing is over a year old. I'm not about to watch some neo-nazi's LP on the game just to get some pointers on how to manage my career to make Kerensky rank attainable; I just need something decently written.

My consolation prize left a lot to be desired.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Why do so many bad mechs even exist then? It's not like a card game crammed full of bad cards that are playable only in draft or to get you to buy more to get to good things.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Why? Just loving why?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Stravag posted:

The lore impacting the game. Orions had a feeding issue with where they placed the ammo for the AC so it couldnt carry a full ton of ammo, only like .95, until it got fixed 10 years later in universe. Makes stuff more interesting

That sounds loving stupid.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Why does the game slow down so much?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
No, I mean why does this video game that I play on my computer that I put together for about $1,200 in August 2018 just get so choppy after a while?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh, I dunno. What are your specs?

If I had to guess I'd say RAM. Are you running 16 or 8?

edit: it eventually slows down for me too, but only loading and only if I'm going at it for more than 3 hours or so. Restarting the game kills it, so I suspect a unity memory leak. 16gb of ram.

16 GB of RAM. "Memory leak" is a term I have heard and have no idea what it even means or how it even happens.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The C-bill requirement should have included total expenses too. Eight hundred million C-bills is so much money that you'd be spending so much that it would still be a pain in the rear end to get.

Does losing a pilot in combat or firing them deduct from the experience score?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Conspiratiorist posted:

It does not - it's also simply gross experience earned so even taking maxed out pilots to contracts still accumulates it.

The Player Character does not count, however. :iiam:

The pro-tip for that one is to not fret too much about it, but as you approach 600 days left be sure to upgrade to training pod 3 and fully fill out your barracks, as that'll give the benchwarmers up to 30k each.

Pilot experience deductions was the last detail that I was unfamiliar with. I made a pretty serious run for Kerensky a little while ago and wrote about the experience. I went hard on getting the Argo to restored gamma pod and training simulators so I could get pilots ready.

Something I would like to share is that once you start your career (or campaign), you can adjust some of the difficulty settings of your game. Ironman, unequipped mechs, Argo repair and maintenance costs, and salvage pieces are all locked, but you can tweak the opfor difficulty, salvage and cash payout levels, pilot lethality, mech destruction, advanced mechwarriors available for hire, pilot experience growth, and rare salvage. I feel like rare salvage is only really useful early in your career and once you can afford to buy that stuff on the black market, it's pointless to pick it for salvage.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Organ Fiend posted:

The thing you should rush for, after the first two repairs upgrades, are engine upgrades.

Early repair upgrades are important because you never want to be just burning time in orbit for repairs or upgrades. Better repair means you get to 5 skull missions faster.

Drive upgrades are next most important because they save transit time, your biggest time expenditure.

In my Kerensky run, I got the first two mechbay upgrades, then lounge and level 1 sims (they're cheap and fast), then straight to drives 1, then mech bay expansion, then drives 2.

I can't completely recall the order I went, but I know that drive repairs were done before I reached gamma pod. Upgrades that boosted morale cam last because events can permanently increase it. I suppose it's worth it to get commons area upgrades like the garden and gym early because events with potentially bad outcomes can be avoided if you have them.

The mechtech strike event is a mother fucker to deal with if you get it early in your career.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Randomized mechs at the start of the career used to be factored into the difficulty rating. Why did they change that?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Arglebargle III posted:

So which is better for headcaps, Marauder bonus or Bull Shark 4 tries?

Annihilator with five UAC/2 cannons. Ten tries, two have to hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Arghy posted:

Wait so once i hit 0 in career does the game just end or can i go on? It's a real turn off if the games over.

You get a consolation prize at the end of your 1,200 days. After that, you can just keep on playing or start a new career.