Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's like if Jerry Lewis was a battlemch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Section Z posted:

I don’t know, more 80’s ninja movie logic in battletech sounds like it could be a good time is sprinkled more liberally than just on protagonists.

One of the things that makes BT notable as a sci-fi setting is that's it's only humans doing human things. No aliens, and no magical realism.

And ho-boy do the fans get furious when anything comes close to breaking those rules.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Those were the Unseen, mechs from very early in BT's lifespan when all the designs were stolen from anime. You probably had the Battletech 3rd Edition boxed set, which came with about a dozen plastic minis.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

They were totally stolen; it just wasn't FASA that stole them!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Gameplay seems solid. Although headshots might be a little too common. In just two skirmish games, I've had three mechs get head-capped. Maybe I'm just (un)lucky.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, I haven't seen it yet.

What I have noticed is some odd AI behavior when they have LRMs. I had a match where as soon as a light got LOS on me the AI reserved an Atlas and an Orion to be LRM boats for way longer than it should have.

The AI seems to favor firing from outside LoS whenever it's an option, even if that means only firing one gun.

And just like pubbies in MWO, it does not grasp the concept of sharing armor.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Additional thoughts, some of the pilot skills/abilities appear poorly balanced at first blush. I'm not sure that the Piloting skill does enough, and the Evasive Move ability is head 'n shoulders better than every other ability in the beta. 50% evasion while still being able to fire your weapons? Yes, please.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Psion posted:

Does Sensor Lock counter it?

Yeah. Sensor Lock and Bulwark seem like the two other good skills, but they're both a little more situational. I can't see a good use case for Multi-target, and Precision Strike could be useful in longer fights on turns where you only fire one gun to cool down, but ehhhh.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Rocketpriest posted:

Standing in water is like a goddamn super power in this game, I swapped the Awesome in one of my auto-loadouts for a Battlemaster, then just had it stand in the water alpha striking all game long. I still lost because my Commando got one-shot by the enemy Awesome, and one of my Jaegermechs lost both torsos (and the accompanying arms) one after the other over two consecutive turns, but hey, Battletech. gently caress it, the Battlemaster took the enemy Orion and Awesome with it before the end, so I'm gonna call it a good showing.

Yeah, standing in water is too good. Sure, it can leave you in a bad position, but the able to chain alpha strikes on even your hottest mechs more than makes up for it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Jesus christ on a crutch. Want to see hilarious? Put a pilot with that evade skill in an Atlas. They need to lock some of the skills to specific weight classes or something, because being a 100 ton block of armor that can close to point blank, matrix dodge half the shots, and then face tank the rest is just loving obscene.

This is what I'm saying. The other skills are useful, but Evasive Move just seems goofy OP on a big mech. Yeah, someone with Sensor Lock can counter it, but that uses up their whole shooting turn.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Myrmidongs posted:

. If you lose your sensor bitch early to a lucky shot, you're in for a world of trouble because you either won't be hitting, or will constantly be hitting for half damage.

I agree. I've been sticking my Sensor Lock pilot in the lovely LRM Locust just so he can sit out of LoS and I don't have to feel too bad about missing his firepower. I would rather that Sensor Lock get a cooldown and allow you to shoot on the same turn, and maybe also be light/medium only.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

That little hop-step the Vindy does is awesome

A lot of the melee animations have those janky little half-steps. I'm guessing it gives some wiggle room to get all the different sized models synced up so that nobody winds up swinging at air.

More Thoughts: weapon ranges are extremely are well done. The various minimum and maximum ranges are all narrow enough that backup weapons are very relevant.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Use your Lights either as back-stabbers (Commando, Jenner) or long range skirmishers (Panther, LRM Locust). If you're just running into the middle of a fight alongside your Atlas, they're going to get shredded.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

JacksLibido posted:

Yeah so why even bring a scout mech? If I'm going to do my "scouting" with an Atlas then I'd rather just bring a 3 mech lance of all heavies and destroy the enemy. Right now I'm trying to bring 3xlarge 1xscout and run my scout in front of my heavies as a spotter. This is a bad idea since if I can see the enemy, the enemy can see me, and the way the initiative system works, the move after I spot the enemy my light gets loving reamed.

If you're using your Light as a forward spotter, make sure whoever is piloting it has Sensor Lock. That'll let you stay in cover while granting LoS to the rest of your Lance. Most of my fights have started out this way, with the rest of my team getting a full shooting round on the enemy with little to no return fire thanks to the pissant 2.1MV locust I've got stuck in a corner somewhere.

Also, a'corse, make sure to pull that spotter back once the enemy moves up.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Lots of stuff injures pilots, but they can take five hits before the sixth kills them. In my experience so far, it's a lot more likely they'll either get head-capped or have their mech cored long before they rack up those half-dozen wounds.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

More than the Damage, I think my problem with PPCs is their heat. For a weapon that has the same damage as an AC/5 with only slightly better range, it seems to generate something like four times as much heat per shot.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Are you using the initiative system much? Once things get going I routinely hold my lights at the edges of fights, reserve them to the last round, then run in and shoot something and run back out in the first phase of the next round.

This bears repetition. When I said that some Lights are back-stabbers, this is how you do it. Sit somewhere out of LoS and reserve action until everyone else has moved, then dash in for a free alpha on whoever's hurt the most, and then use your superior initiative to dash back out and cooldown at the start of next turn. Fragile, over gunned mechs like the Jenner excel at these kinds of tactics.

Edit: Like, with the way initiative works in this game I'm fairly sure a Light should beat an Heavy or Assult pretty handily so long as they have some form of cover within sprinting range.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 2, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

1) LRM knockdown needs to be tuned way, WAY back. Two trebuchets is a guaranteed knockdown. I killed the enemy Awesome at max LRM range that way without really loving up its armor too much. Knock down for a guaranteed pilot injury and slinging 60 LRMs a round you're going to get at least one, sometimes two head hits naturally. Repeat for 2-3 rounds and you have a dead assault pilot. As it stands right now LRMs are a hard counter to assaults. Well, really a hard counter to anything but if you do that with a medium or even the thinner skinned heavies you might just kill the mech before killing the pilot. Personally I'd put it at LRMs needing to do about half to two-thirds of the knockdown damage they do right now. If we had MP right now LRM gank squad would be THE way to roll.

An Evasion Atlas and Two Trebs plus whatever else does feel very strong against the AI. It might be a bit less OP in multiplayer where the other guy will understand that he needs to push and punish the paper thin armor on your missiles boats. LRMs have a pretty large minimum range that might make them pretty crap against an enemy that sprints in with brawlers. Of course, the AI has no idea how to deal with that style of specialization, just like a wolf-pack of 4 Jenners which can murder any AI lance with hardly a point of damage taken.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Standing up gives the enemy an accuracy penalty, knockdowns are pretty good.

You also get to make called shots. I've taken more than one mech from nearly pristine to dead in the span of a few Missiles and a called head shot.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Great Beer is 100% right here. That percentage to hit displayed on the UI should be factoring all the rolls and modifiers. If it isn't acting as a reliable indicator of hit chance, then it might as well not even be there.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The thing that annoys me most about the Awesome is that it doesn't have the heat management to fire the 3/2/3 pattern the mech is known for.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Bubbacub posted:

I played tabletop, and the AI doesn't put up a huge fight - I haven't lost more than 1 mech in a match so far. But aside from being quirky and somewhat easy to exploit, the fact that the AI mostly functions well seems really impressive.

They could be better about staying grouped up. In about half my games they trickle in by weight class and get murdered in turn.

Though they are pretty good at focus fire and pressuring damage targets.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Speaking of dynamic feedback, it would be cool if the weapon damage updated in the same manner as hit chance. A lot of stuff like range and buff/debuff status has an effect on how much damage you deal and it would be nice to see that reflected in the UI.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Except I'm pretty sure stability damage is intended as a soft counter to evasion and damage resistance. If you're facing a mech with Evasive Move and don't have Sensor Lock available, then knocking them unsteady with LRM fire is the next best solution.

As an alternative, you could allow LRMs (and SRMs) to ignore evasion effects but lower their base stability damage so that they could more reliably knock evasive mechs unsteady but would also take more hits overall to achieve a knockdown. That would also indirectly nerf Evasive Move, which is probably too good, and make Sensor Lock feel a little less mandatory.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 3, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Something like that could work. Although they'd need to break it out into a separate buff from the one your get from sprinting. 50% evasion when you sprint makes sense regardless of weight-class because you skip your entire shooting turn.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

There's a reason the Jenner costs 3.9m, almost as much as a medium. It's the best at reserving deep into a round so it can scuttle away after without taking damage.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hot Take: new X-Com is a better game than old X-Com.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I vaguely recall that being a thing in the original Mechwarrior. There was a mech, maybe the Marauder, that had lostech armor and whenever it got repaired it would lose a bit of max armor value as the good 'ole Star League poo poo got replaced with the janky 3025 stuff.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

There's hardly anything else it could be called.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

DiHK posted:

The guy interviewing them was... a bit much. Really chewing the scenery.

Phrosphor posted:

It kind of felt like 'You have 5 minutes to get through this segment, you need to cover these points, you need to keep these guys moving or they will miss their slot. GO!'

That's just what Day[9] is like. Guy is comically high energy.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

If we're talking about this video from the previous page, then yeah, that is 100% Sean Plott.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

i hate everyone who likes Battletech outside of these forums I think

Austin Walker likes Battletech, so there's at least one okay dude who likes BT and isn't a SA poster.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Which is super relevant, since sprinting to gain both distance and evasion is the best way to get a mech out of trouble. Getting knocked unsteady in a bad spot can turn sour real quick.'it forces to to brace instead, which leaves you open to both getting shot and to melee.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's good, just not quite so essential as stuff like ev. move and sensor lock. It'll make a great second pick though.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Man do I love the way this game plays. I'm sure whoever called first called it X-Com with Mechs meant that as a slight, but I wrung more than a hundred hours out of the new X-Coms and the basic gameplay loop in BT has the same feel to it: slim, intuitive, and addictive. I already find myself wondering how many sequels they make with the engine because I know the first single player campaign won't be enough.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Only after HBS promised no more Q&A sessions do I realise I have an actual question: is the persistent merc campaign system try to scale infinitely in difficulty, or will it let the player break free of resource constraints and start victory lapping until you stop being silly and start a new game?

If I recall, missions have a difficulty rating and with the highest presenting a challenge for even the best-equipped unit. I'd assume that once you're into the endless portion of the game, you'll need to take a lot of those high rated assignments to meet your upkeep needs.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Wicked Them Beats posted:

And I hope that's not the expected quality of the script for the whole game. It wasn't great and the VA was lackluster.

If it doesn't sound like 80's Sci-fi shlock, then it ain't Battletech.

And speaking of, I will be disappointed if there isn't a special event that ends with a Robot Jox style fist bump.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Especially in 3025, when owning your own lance and the means to transport it meant you could almost single-handedly knock over a Periphery state.

Hey, that's exactly what we're doing in this game. What a coincidence!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The Skirmish mode is a fun, and a good way to get a handle on whether or not you enjoy the game's basic loops. Shame it's locked behind the $60 paywall, cause it'd make a good demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I think they're still shooting for 1st Q 2018. Even if it does get pushed back again, I wouldn't expect it to be very far. What we've seen in previews and updates over the last few months shows a game that looks pretty close to release.