Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Going to sell the super dropship with docking collars so I can afford to run an Assault mech in a mission. Can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I didn't read the duel myself, but didn't someone in PTNs thread say it had been fluffed after the fact to be basically that Yorinaga basically made a show of intentionally missing because CODE OF HONOR? He was obligated to fire, but not obligated to aim? Or something?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Morgan Kell's power is that he's that one guy everyone in IT has dealt with at some point in their life that can make any piece of technology fail without even trying. He's sitting there trying to get his HUD to display cat meme pictures and it ends up frying every targeting computer in a 5 mile radius.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I might be slightly salty if Multiplayer hadn't been a stretch goal to start with, so it's not like the multiplayer side is something they were confident in and pitching as part of the base game anyway.

If connectivity issues were the last thing on the priority list of the backers beta, it just means they spent their resources in more important areas in the run up to June 1st. Sounds good to me.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

In theory, since it's on steam they can just revoke it that way, though nothing really stops you from just leaving your steam in offline mode for the duration I guess.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

7 Months would put them around a Chrismas release, which seems fair-ish.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm the one who was posting about it on this page and I'm not panicking, just posting my opinion on a gay dying comedy forum and people seem to be reacting really strongly and/or misinterpreting what I am saying :confused:

Me calmly stating my opinion that I don't expect the game this year /= "Oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress everything is ruined and the sky is falling".

It's the third or fourth time someone has posted a calm but not-roses-and-sunshine opinion, and every time it gets responded to as if people are preaching the end of the world. Just ignore them, there is no point in trying to explain a dissenting opinion, it will bring out "SO YOU THINK THIS IS A SCAM, HUH?!" people regardless of how minor a thing you point out.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Q_res posted:

Literally nobody freaked out at you, all I said was that it seemed (overly) pessimistic. I think you're being a touch sensitive about a reasonable, calmly stated disagreement.

:jerkbag:
:jerkbag:

It works for everyone! :aaa:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Skoll posted:

Beta would be amazing if they used MechCommander placeholder voices.

And models. :yayclod:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Psion posted:

it's okay to just not reply to a post you don't think is directed at you, y'know. I read your post and did not assume Alechnar's applied to it. You do not have to defend yourself on all points. Take that 0.02 for what it's worth,but I think this post I quoted did more harm than just letting it go.

It's a little more of a nuanced issue than that, I think. There's also people who know development, think they know development, or don't care about development. All of those can shade responses. Personally, I'm not surprised they're running into problems, but I'd argue what matters is how they handle the problems. So far, I'm content. But then nuance has no place on the internet. you're 200% completely wrong, Urbanmechs at 10 hexes, tomorrow at 2d6 minutes past dawn!

I'm not waking up that early, just come AC10 the barracks while I sleep.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Feindfeuer posted:

I just backed this game because of this gif:

It's a bad decision, but I accept that.

Even those of us who have expressed concerns are literally Hitler wouldn't call you backing this game a "bad decision". Especially if you based it off metal babby punching.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Feindfeuer posted:

I backed a different mechwarrior game in the past, and i got hurt. But I just can't resist giant robots punching each other.

Yeah, but these guys have actually made games that don't suck in the past.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Section Z posted:

Pretty much. Probably the "Worst" to expect outside of nitpicking mechanics people are or are not personally fond of, is that "Battletech was just Good, not Great".

And then the long wait for their sequel/expansion which will suddenly be twice as good.

Which I think most of us would still as a good thing. Shadowrun Returns was rough around the edges but fun, then the next two games were significantly better. I doubt Battletech is going to be as rough as SR, but even if it is, as long as they work on a sequel that's even better, I'll take that trade.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Bubbacub posted:

Somebody should figure out the density of that Atlas if we accept the 100T weight. A modern 70 ton MBT is probably the size of it's crotch box. I bet it would float.

Canon Atlases are already lacking enough in density to float, from what people have said about the distribution of 100 tons compared to their physical dimensions. Blowing them up by another 60% or what ever would make it even more hilarious.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The whole setting falls apart if you try and justify why the stompy robots are the way they are. They are inherently illogical, so we should all just relax.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Plus the stuff that makes mechs so light would ideally make aircraft even more suited to wreck the poo poo out of mechs, especially given their potato range weaponry.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Yeah, I'd always heard it as a Mech's tonnage being how much extra weight you could stack on top of an already heavy myomer frame and maintain effectiveness, not that the Atlas is literally only 100 tons. That works okay, is that not the 'canon' route or whatever?

If that were the canon excuse, your equipped stuff would add up to 100T.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Internet Explorer posted:

God, why do you nerds have to ruin this for me?

Someone has to do it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The only bad part about it being released on pacific time is that it means there's basically no chance it'll be available before I have to work here on the East Coast. :negative:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

They used BackerKit for the Shadowrun games (at least some of them?) and it worked fine there too.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Right click and drag is to freely tumble the camera. I know what they mean, but all I can picture is your camera spazzing out like you're rolling it along the ground.

On an unrelated note:
*shakes monitor* GIVE ME MY KEY, I WANT TO PLAY. I'll even take my lunch break to go play for an hour, its fine!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Flaggy posted:

How am I just finding out about this, I hope it doesn't suck, I would love a good Battletech game.

This game is horrible poo poo*.

*Because they won't give me my key so I can play it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Zaodai posted:

This game is horrible poo poo*.

*Because they won't give me my key so I can play it.

Ammended review:

Got my key, 10/10 would back again.

Now to actually play it in a few hours when my shift ends...

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Heads up, ALL the Mech files are JSON, meaning there's a chance we could be able to add variants to the game that aren't currently there, or even aren't included in the full game.

I smell possibilities! Messing around with them right now, to add some pilots.

Uh oh, return of the 8 PPC Hunchback.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

WebDO posted:

So you're saying it's going to be Baldur's Gate romance options? Even creepier

Yes, but only between the mechs. Everybody loves Dadlas.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'd rather see skills scale with weight rather than be locked to specific weights outright. Gives you more options for your pilots in the campaign.

We have to remember that all the fights wont be in a vacuum like skirmish mode.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Played one match so far, a stock Medium Battle lance against a random lance on Death Valley, flawless victory. :smugdog:

Only had two non-leg knockdowns, and one of those was from a medium laser, which I did not think was supposed to do any stab damage, but couldn't knock any motherfuckers down with ACs and missiles swarms despite them being at full Unsteady meter.

Seems like so far it's easy-ish set up around mountains and use that to split the AI lance into parts as they path around different sides. The Trebuchet is a pretty nice support mech, and my hunchback legged a babby on the second turn of combat.

All in all, felt super fun, can't wait to see how it works out in the campaign.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Gwaihir posted:

A Goonmech Classic returns!!!

I knew it!

I hope it goes supernova if you fire them all.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Gwaihir posted:

It absolutely does'nt because I set PPC heat to zero :ssh:

:thunk:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Gwaihir posted:

The graphics do update depending on the weapon mounted, too:

That is awesome. Truly you are doing the lord's work. Is it actually coded in respect to hardpoints, I assume? So you could do that on the hunchback but not an atlas?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

One of the things I mentioned in Discord was that the after-battle report said I played for over 25 minutes in a match, and if you had asked me how long that match took without me looking at the timer I'd have said like 7. It still takes a decent amount of time, but the fact that it doesn't FEEL like it takes absurd amounts of time is a great change. All the people who want to play tabletop batteltech 100% faithful to the rules should probably just play megamek. This was never pitched as a faithful tabletop conversion, they were very up front that they're going to do what is right to make a fun game, and in the after mission survey for the match I played tonight, it asked me two different questions if I thought the game was "really" battletech, and whether the changes bothered me.

My answer was that it captured the feel of the game and I felt the changes made were improvements.

So gently caress the turbospergs.

Now on my own turbo sperg topic: Still don't like what the PPCs look like, think they should be fatter. :colbert:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Phrosphor posted:

Which Discord are you guys using?

Dis 'un, linked earlier in the thread.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

isildur posted:

the thing is, we have turbospergs on staff. we have people who care *deeply* about BT and its lore and its rules. and we've reached where we're at now after trying a lot of different stuff to try to capture the feel of BT while still making a fun computer game. We've had close adherence to the rules, and we've had wild variant rules with silly poo poo going on, and everything in between. And what we're using as our metric is *playing* the things we try, and then i fill an entire whiteboard with feedback and action items, and we try new things and play those.

our resident BT nerd, Eck, who loves the official rules with a burning passion that's honestly a little creepy, is on board. Once he was on board, and agreed that the game was fun, and won the first office tournament handily, I decided we'd met our obligation to fulfill nerd expectations. It's not exactly like TT but it's different in specific, carefully designed ways that addressed specific, carefully identified problems.

So it's not so much that we don't care about turbonerds, but that we are, ourselves, turbonerds. And we know the path we took from there to where we are now.

I'm not decrying the dedication of the staff, just the people on the outside hating purely because the game is different. I think the combat is great, aside from my SUPER-OBJECTIVE AND FAIR complaint about PPC visuals.

I don't know if you're allowed to answer this (or if you even know), but will pilots in the campaign start as blank slates so they can be different each playthrough, or will they operate like they do in the skirmish where they always start with a specific skill and stats? I hope it's the former, I'd love use different people each time (or the same people and have them turn out differently) in the extended campaign.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I think missiles and ACs feel good, and large lasers seem nice, but yeah, PPCs seem like complete poo poo, and I feel like some of the lasers could have their heat tweaked to be slightly less punishing, but I'll need to do more testing on my end as it might just be that the heat curve is right and I want to fire them more.

I definitely don't think ACs and missiles should be nerfed, though.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ghost Heat? NOOOOOO! :negative:

I'm the most Anti-Light, pro-Steiner Scout Lance motherfucker there is, but I haven't been having issues using my lights and keeping them alive. Sure, Sensor Lock is pretty important, and the fact that it has no cooldown makes it god like. But against the AI, I just don't rush my scout out ahead of the pack unsupported. He leads the way, but I move him up somewhere with cover to get a sensor lock and be bait. It's not that my scout never dies, but generally by the time he's died I've inflicted far more damage on the enemy, so I'm trading a single light for a medium+ or more.

If things get hot, start kiting back so they have to choose between chasing your scout or not getting jackhammered by your heavier assets. The AI bites on scout feints every time, just run the little guy right back into the jaws of your defense, and you'll murder their lead units before any of their heavier stuff is even in range to attack you.

I really wouldn't want to see Lights be stronger than they are. They are very powerful right now, just not as brawlers. But then, you shouldn't be brawling in a light anyway.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 2, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Maybe your cooling from "last" turn carries forward to this turn if you don't have any heat?

Like if you can vent 50 heat a turn, and you fire 80 heat worth of weapons, on turn 1 you only generate 30 heat, because you get credit for dissipating the 50 straight away because it has nothing to clear from last turn?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Heat is really the only mechanic I've had trouble getting it to fit into my head. Even if it ends up making sense under the hood, it certainly doesn't feel well conveyed to the player.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I can't wait to go 0-57 in matches against other goons. :v:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I think part of the issue with multi-shot is that there are way better skills for your LRM mechs. If your trebuchet or catapult is in face melting range you already kinda hosed up, and in that situation bullwark is going to be a better option anyway. I'd rather just take the shot at the mech in LRM range and leave whatever brawlers Im' running that match to deal with the guy in my LRM mechs grill. Plus, everything runs hot enough that you really need to do either/or 90% of the time.

I mean, I can see the uses, other poo poo just over shadows it. Sure, it would be nice to do something with that LRM on the centurion or the Atlas once you're in knife fight ranges, but in both cases evasion is hands down the superior choice because it keeps you from getting gutted out in the brawl. Or bullwark in that scenario for the damage reduction.

Personally I think it needs to do something and then have engaging multiple targets be a secondary, minor effect. Maybe extend the max ranges of weapons, or let you choose to take called shots on non-prone targets if you're not doing the multiple targets thing. I dunno, the issue is just that it's so clearly inferior to any of the other major choices.

I generally agree with this. Using the Catapult as an example, you're never really going to be fine enough on heat to be alpha striking things anyway, because heat is either inconsequential or a brutal rear end-gently caress with basically nothing in between right now.

I'd much rather have either the initiative bonus, or evasion, or bulwark, or hell even precision shot even if it is situational. Plus there is the inherent issue of if you have that many weapons to fire, you're usually better off trying to kill one target completely so it is out of the fight rather than split-firing and dealing more damage to more targets but leaving more people to shoot back (since you are, by nature of the situation, in firing range of multiple enemies now).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Cowards will reload half the time even if there is no penalty. They're not being forced to ironman, and if they're going to reload either way, why design the casualty system around their particular gameplay choice?