Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

My overall point remains. People who are going to reload at any setback are just going to reload regardless of how minor you make the penalty. If they were going to reload for the pilot being killed, they'll reload for the pilot being out for 3 missions.

There is no way to convince someone who does not want to eat a penalty that they have to eat that penalty. You do not design your system based around people who will reload to prevent it, you design your system to be fair to the people who choose not to reload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Sarsapariller posted:

I feel like the best way to make pilot death matter is to give the player some way to mitigate it. Be it a medic skill, or an eject mechanic, or something- the game needs some element that lets the player make a choice related to pilot risk. As it is, every time you put them on the field you are just rolling the dice on whether or not they come back alive. That's not terribly engaging. I feel like having to decide whether to bail on that Atlas with mostly intact armor but 4 wounds, saving the pilot but losing use of the mech for the remainder of the mission, would add a lot of tension.

I'm fine with adding some way to try and shade odds in your favor or whatever. I don't particularly like an Eject mechanic (necessarily) if only because then you open up the Salvage can of worms about what condition you get the mech back in, and if you take the field but it was a hit and run mission or whatever. Solvable, but again doesn't really get past the save scumming issue.

Maybe make it a longer term gamble? The first time they're "killed", they come back with one less pilot wound when they're ready for action again. Sure, that makes them more likely to get killed again in the future, but it makes you choose between letting your old warhorse retire and have to train a replacement, or get him murdered but have use of his expertise and experience.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Overheat is one of the few areas pgi got it right. Well at least post fixing insta overhear headshots. The heat will gently caress YOU UP and you don't want to do it too much, but it's situationally really useful to take the hit and dish out some more damage.

As it stand there is no reason no to in BT. Once you realize how small those orange numbers are you just say gently caress it.

I think it's a bigger deal once you're damaged, so it's more of a tradeoff. If you're at standoff range LRMing, then no it's not a huge deterrent.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Psion posted:

With the caveat that I'm only "pretty sure" how this works ... no. If I'm right, sensor lock is best on lights because of the initiative system. Sensor lock lasts for the entire round and if you put it on your Atlas, which goes last, you get no benefit from the sensor lock because it expires immediately. And double no, because then the Atlas can't shoot that turn, which is a huge loss compared to a Commando or Locust or similar holding fire.

Meanwhile, if you put it on a light, which goes first, they can designate a target and all your mediums, heavies, and assaults can take advantage.

e: also I think you're hung up on this forward scouting thing a little too much. What do "real" scouts do when the main forces engage? get the gently caress out of the way, lest they get ground up in the middle. So with BT lights. Make contact, go wide. It's totally reasonable for both space 80s robots (what matters) and 'real' tactics with a wholly fictional robot, however you want to slice it.

Basically all of this.

JacksLibido, you seem dead set that you should be able to bull-rush lights in and have them not give a gently caress. For all the buffs lights have gotten, they should not be able to run into a lance of heavier mechs and laugh in their face. Scouting with lights works fine, but they need to stick out on the edges of the fight, where they still provide plenty of info, get their move mods and cover, and can use sensor lock normally to help the rest of the team.

Yes, if you want to run your mechs directly into brawling range and fight man mode, you don't want to bring lights. Because they are not and never have been built for that.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

evilmiera posted:

Nooo, don't ruin light tacklemasters, I miss them so from Mechwarrior Online :(

That should be a pilot ability, where if you move X amount of hexes you can tackle. I'd be fine with that. The light is probably going to still get shot to hell, but hey, TACKLE!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Cyrano4747 posted:

You get one for pre ordering.

You get a paintjob and loadout, I don't recall seeing naywhere that they just gift you a free Atlas in the campaign, that would be retarded.

Also, the Atlas' job is to be the armored brick and king of the battlefield.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

JacksLibido posted:

Not even a little bit? I want to be able to run my commando up 500m or so and just designate targets for my missile boats. Right now if I did that my commando would get spotted and insta hosed by the AI since he's the closest target. The only way I can make a light work is if I keep them BEHIND my lines and spot with them, which doesn't make sense. I'm not trying to get them into brawling range, I'm trying to keep them FROM fighting.

In my experience, this has not been true at all. Don't know what to tell you.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Sooooo I did a thing:

.jsons are fun!

Purple Atlas Stalker! Is that color some kind of error, or intentionally that you could select the color?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Myrmidongs posted:

One of my problems with the indicator is that I can't actually figure out how to "target lock" something and move. I want to see what my percentages are as I hover across different movement dots to see where I have my best shot. I know this is a thing, but I have no goddamn clue how to do it. It seems overly difficult to activate.

If I recall correctly:
Click the movement dot you want to move to, but rather than selecting a facing, hover the target. If you want to back out, just don't select a facing, and you haven't committed to the move. If I'm remembeing it wrong, then its hover the dot and then hover the target, but that doesn't sound right in my head.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Chronojam posted:

By the way is there a way to reserve if you don't immediately click it?
Back up all the way to the point you don't have any mech selected, if you haven't moved or fired yet.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Personally I feel somewhat vindicated with all the hate Evasive gets, after how hard I got poo poo on for suggesting giving all lights a base 50% dodge for free would be kind of unfun bullshit.

Regardless of how good Evasive is right now (spoiler: extremely good), I'm definitely in the same boat with the people who think that Evasive on your target is terribly communicated to you during the shooting phase. Even if it doesn't show up in the shot percentages, it should at least show up in a mouseover somewhere or something. Like if I mouse over the shot now, modifiers show up, but Evasive doesn't even show up in that list, which it probably should even if it doesn't factor in to the raw % for some reason. I can visually see cover (and it gets added on that mouseover list), heat causing us to miss, recoil penalties on ACs, etc. So it makes it an extra bad surprise when you fire 30 LRMs and some ACs at a target and half of them just get juked by an Urbie breakdancing in some trees.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Psion posted:

when did this happen because what

Earlier in the thread, someone suggested that an additional way to buff Lights would be that they get Evasion at all times as a standard thing, so they could survive the fury of those dastardly Assaults better. I replied that I hope that if they do that, they add an option to turn it off or the first mod someone makes is a mod to remove it, because that would be horrible bullshit.

Then like 8 people jumped down my throat because I hadn't played the game yet so I couldn't possibly criticize the idea of a 50% base evasion being balanced, it might be totally fair YOU DON'T KNOW.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It should still be indicated somewhere near your shot panel when you're targeting them. It doesn't have to show up in the percentage window, but you could easily put the little Evasive icon above the weapons HUD or something as a reminder. When all the other modifiers are handily given to you there, you don't always remember which targets sprinted and which didn't. or to go look at the mech itself when your eyes are directed to the lower right for other important information regarding the shot.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

DatonKallandor posted:

Remind me again, does a CT kill mean the mech is unsalvagable? If it does I would be broke as hell.

It would in tabletop, but I don't think we know the salvage rules for the campaign. It probably won't be the same in this game, considering mechs are still walking around if they lose one leg so legging isn't quite as viable for trying to cherry tap for salvage.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Some of the problems with missile knockdowns could be fixed if entrenched was easier to get. A 'brace and shoot 1 weapon' option might be good, it'd make the mediocre precise shot pilot ability a little better; or even if you got entrenched automatically if you chose not to move. A `Mech that's standing still should be harder to knock on its rear end. Likewise, giving evasive a downside by doubling the stability damage an evasive `Mech takes could be a good counter. You can dodge but if you do take damage while you're darting and weaving it's more likely to trip you up.

Shouldn't evasive slightly-more-than-double stab damage in that scenario? Since Evasive itself is reducing your hits by half, doubling stab damage just gets you back to normal stability damage. So maybe slightly more than 200%, but not a ton, maybe 210 or 220?

That's just spitballing off the top of my head, though.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Re: Stability damage from LRMs:

We were discussing this on discord, and I think I've got a recommendation: Rather than just nerfing stability damage from LRMs, make it so they have diminishing returns in a given volley. Get hit with 5 LRMs out of a volley? They do normal stability damage they do now. Get hit by 10? They do like 75%. As the successful hits in a single attack from LRMs increase, the amount of stab damage added decreases. Fluff wise, this is the enemy pilot having long enough (due to the length of the volley) to start adjusting to the force of the hits. Game wise, this makes LRMs en masse less knockdown prone, without nerfing the mechs that have a couple of LRM5s for long range support.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Feindfeuer posted:

Sounds like a solid idea, but I can't resist saying: Ghost Stability.

No, no! This is entirely different! You can't... I was just trying to...

:negative:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

JacksLibido posted:

This will either 1. encourage everybody to boat LRM 5s, or 2. accomplish the exact same thing as reducing stability damage across the board for LRMs 3. Still keep stability damage too high; depending on how they'd implement this.

No, see, it's not by launcher size, but volley size. 5 LRM5s is still 25 missiles. if 15 of those hit, you're still getting reduced stab. Also, boating LRM5s is fine since there's limited hardpoints, if you want to dedicate all your missile slots to babby launchers, that's up to you.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Chronojam posted:

Do CapCon get a warcrimes bonus to using these?

Only the Inferno Babby Launchers. We discussed them in depth in PTN's thread, in fact!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

This would be my suggestion for a UI improvement (if you don't want to factor evasive into the hit percentages directly, which you should). A space above the weapons for all of the target's modifiers, plus some way to show whether it's been sensor locked yet in case you bring multiple and are trying to decide whether to shoot or lock and can't remember which `Mech you clicked on.

The icons over the weapon HUD part is a perfect mock up of what I had in mind. And about a billion times less poo poo then if I had made a mock-up myself. :v:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

JacksLibido posted:

Then reducing stability damage from missiles across the board would accomplish the same thing and be much easier to implement.

Except it wouldn't? If 5 missiles from an LRM 20 get through to an evasive target or something, and you universally drop stab damage across the board, they get reduced stab damage. If you have DR, those 5 hit for full stab damage, but an LRM 20 with all of them hitting would have scaling on it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

JacksLibido posted:

That's just retarded though. At that point why don't you just make everybody walk around with stability damage if 1-2 missiles will do 80% of the stability damage 20 will? That's just flat dumb. I tried to think of what you could mean that wasn't stupid, but if it really is that then dude, no.

You've posted nothing but irrational poo poo-talk about basically everything so far, I'm not particularly inclined to argue it out with you. Think what you like, it was merely a recommendation for a way they could address people's concerns about overall stability damage from missiles.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I would say that your expected losses should be somewhat in line with the difficulty of mission you take (and hopefully payout you receive, unless you took a sucker's mission). If you're out taking cakewalk missions and running garrison duty, maybe there's not much risk. If you're on one side or the other of a planetary assault, maybe losing 2 mechs is considered breaking even.

A lot of this changes when put in to context of a persistent world, which is what makes it so interesting to me. :getin:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Psion posted:

Yeah, exactly. How much is a lead on a Star League cache of tech worth to you over sacrificing your previously pristine Orion? That kinda thing makes 'ideal' a lot more interesting of a question.

And some of it may not even be monetary value vs current value. How much are your friends worth? Are you going to face down that assault lance to buy time for the guys who employed you for the last 4 missions to escape, or are you going to leave them to die, or even switch sides because it's an easy pay day? Of course then your rep will be poo poo because you bailed, but hey, you're not dead.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I honestly can't tell if the "Battletech is just XCOM2 with mechs" post is tongue in cheek or not.

I really hope it is. Or it's a quote from the official forums.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

We're fine with you not liking the design they went with.

We're not fine with you making blatantly false statements and declaring them fact.

Now if you'll XCOM-scuse excuse me, I'm going to go play Tekken 7, or as it is known in these parts, "XCOM2 but with Japanese people and Devils.".

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Well as an additional point, let me list all the ways I feel Battletech - the video game imitates Xcom - the game.

Battletech's combat system is Xcom 2 with Mechs, and has the flavor of Battletech mechanics wherever an equivalent could be provided. Move and shoot system? Ah, btech has Sprint, even though it was a maxtech optional rule that just about nobody used - it's ok.

The hit percentages are xcom style. The positioning and aim cones are xcom style and torso turning has been abstracted.

The paperdolls have no damage indicators or visiable armor display. Why? Because Xcom soldiers don't have damage values, they just have hitpoints - there is no locational damage in Xcom. So, when using Xcom for "inspiration" that part didn't get included - since Xcom doesn't have it.

The scale is wrong, because the designers were using Xcom as a reference point, which is soldiers and not robots.

4 mech start point. Why? Because that's what you get in Xcom to start. Why balance by weight and have flexible squad sizes?

Deterministic Soldier Skills - guess what, people loved these in Xcom!

AI roles named after Xcom soldier classes - a mech has to decide who is the sniper. I know this may seem, dumb but actually Sniper is not really a battletech concept. So having someone with Sniper like functionality - lights give you LOS, just like someone would do for a sniper in Xcom. And the LOS mechanics work off the same concept.

The list goes on and on. Shadowrun was "Xcom, but in CYBER SPACE", and this is "Xcom, but with ROBOTS"

It's ok but I feel pretty ripped off for the $60 that I backed a fairly low risk project. I am glad others are happy, but I sure didn't want "HBS makes another Xcom clone, hope this one sells 5 million guys, this will be the one"

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

It wasnt a year ago and the problem everyone has with your posts is that you are full of poo poo and are going "THIS GAME IS XCOM 2 WITH MECHS!!!!1" and will not have any part in a discussion about it - you are not willing to justify your opinions beyond "Xcom did it that way so obviously Harebrained did it EXACTLY THE SAME!".

You are also willfully ignoring facts (such as a 4 mech lance being a standard thing in the game since its tabletop inception in the 80s). Instead, to you, its "XCOM DID IT THIS WAY SO OBVIOUSLY THEY TOOK THE IDEA FROM XCOM!!".

People are calling you out because you have bad, wrong opinions and are sticking to them and continuing to post about them, all whilst ignoring facts and good points people are making about how Battletech is not, in fact, a clone of XCOM with robits.

More directly, we accept that you have Bad, Wrong Opinions.

But you need to accept that your Bad, Wrong Opinions are not the same as factual information.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I'd like to point out that Psion just said that I was outright lying for my comment that this:

Friendly armor loadout in combat:

And this:

Does not show me the actual amount of the remaining armor in combat, which means I can't eyeball whether the weapon I'm firing has a chance to breach that location if it hits.

You wouldn't logically have that perfect, real-time information in combat anyway to let you know if your weapons will definitely penetrate or not.

But you know what game gives you real-time up to date information about the health and armor of enemy targets? XCOM2.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Er he said my claim was an outright lie? I was describing the way it works in the game. You can disagree with what I posted, but my observation was absolutely true, and you guys called me a liar for making a true observation.

We call you a liar for claiming that mechanics are wholesale lifted from XCOM2, down to aiming being the same when it's not aside from you clicking a target with your mouse.

Also, isn't the burden of proof on you? You're the one spewing bullshit at us. Alternatively, go play a game you like, or if you actually want to change things you perceive as being wrong, submit those surveys that come up after EVERY GAME of the beta, allowing you to send your feedback directly to the devs.

There are many more productive options if you genuinely aren't a troll and are just somehow that misguided.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Or maybe once a year I can fire off 3-4 posts on the SA forums that capture my opinions and then go back to posting about other stuff until the next major thing.

Like that's it guys, I've played the beta and you've weathered the storm, the naysayers are done, and all that's left is to enjoy the eventual game in a few months.

Your talents are wasted here, GO, AND HELP THE CITY!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

And maybe you put your more expendable guys in the roles more likely to die. If you don't want to have to replace your god tier pilot, put him in the assault, not the metal babby. You can always hose out the cockpit and hire a new pilot from out in front of Space Home Depot if you need to.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Cowcaster posted:

the nintendo 64 was the first home console to have 4 controller ports, because of xcom

Conflict itself did not exist until the earliest life on Earth saw combat in XCOM.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Internet Explorer posted:

It just seems to happen a lot. Like A LOT a lot. I do it to the AI constantly and if the AI has a few mechs with jump jets every turn is someone jump jetting behind someone to core them. It looks funny and is something you never see in the MechWarrior games. I've never played TT, so if you're saying it happens a lot there, then I guess that's another viewpoint, but to me it looks and feels very silly.

It used to happen all the time in MW3 and 4.

It also comes out that if you're jumping behind someone to backshoot them, your back is now probably to their friends.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Odd, I didn't even think that was possible to pull of in MW 3 or 4. I certainly couldn't jump over someone and rotate 180 degrees. Never really saw it in MWO either, although there you just usually used jump jets to skate around as a light and help you turn quicker.

In 4 you used a lot of your torso twist for it, or taking off from an angle and pulsing your jets. You couldn't really spin like a top or anything, but it was pretty easy to get behind people with JJs. The bigger reason you never really saw it was that pop-tarting was a far better use for JJs if you were tryharding.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Also, it's not even 40k, you heretic. :commissar:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Tactical positioning and having your units support each other: Exclusive to XCOM, do not steal.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

They did not manage to rip it off successfully for Shadowrun and the combat is a very weak part of that game, which is why it seemed like a risk for Battletech as well.

Except the combat in Battletech is not like Shadowrun or XCOM aside from being turn based, which is the core point. Try playing the Beta itself.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Those forms of cover were represented by colored dots, which were stolen from XCOM when XCOM invented pixels.

Holy poo poo, you can do this in ShadowRun? I really need to get off my rear end and play thoughts. I know the first didn't get the best reviews. Which one should I start with?

Probably Dragonfall Directors Cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Personally, I wouldn't expect you people here at Something Awful Dot Com to admit HBS is stealing wholesale from XCOM, considering that you're using English text.

You know what else used English text? XCOM.

Check and mate, shitters.