Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

ChickenWing posted:

OP good

excited to shoot a stompy robert

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They are as far from a scam as Star Citizen is from a functional game.

This is an excellent line :golfclap:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Feindfeuer posted:

But only because they have the ability to have an obscene amount of armor on those legs compared to tracks which can't be armored with skirts or anything for some obscure reason. The ingame explanation only makes sense if you don't think about it and just accept it. I'm fine with that, but it's far from a good explanation.

WELL, ACTUALLY, YOU CAN USE ARMORED MOTIVE SYSTEMS ON YOUR VEHICLES, BUT
:goonsay:

(Yea it's just all fun fluff :shobon: )

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Skippy McPants posted:

Gameplay seems solid. Although headshots might be a little too common. In just two skirmish games, I've had three mechs get head-capped. Maybe I'm just (un)lucky.

It's probably down to missile weapons in this game having a hit for every single missile, vs the TT version of LRMs hitting in 5 missile clusters. So if someone is packing LRMs then they're really going to sandpaper the poo poo out of you and probably score a lot of head hits.

If you're talking direct damage headshot->dead from PPCs or something then :iiam: and or :battletech:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Q_res posted:

AI is no pushover. Took a lance of a Panther 9R, Vindicator 1R, Griffin 1N and Catapult C1 against a Locust 1S, Shadowhawk 2H, Hunchback 4G and Quickdraw 4G. I probably would have lost if I didn't have to quit because it was draining the battery on my laptop like crazy.

Also, how do I verify my laptop is using the right GPU? It has Intel integrated HD graphics and a 4GB Geforce GTX 960M, I was getting single-digit framerates at 1080P "High" and just wanted to make sure it wasn't an issue on my end.

You should have an icon in your system tray that looks like this:

Clicking it should show which programs are using the Nvidia GPU, if any.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Got in a game, love it so far. Started poorly for me since I went with double dakkadakka Jagermechs, a Commando to spot, and a Battlemaster, then the commando got instantly obliterated.

The AI kept their Atlas back and just indirect fired with the LRM for 4-5 turns though, which let me just retreat a bit and focus down the rest of it's units one by one since the Battlemaster parked in a river with good cover so the enemy had to come to him.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I feel like lights need a bit more defense via their movement speed than they get at the moment. Against a non-sprinting light an enemy mech can easily get 60% ish + hits before special skills or whatnot come in to play.

Sprinting and cover are huge multipliers though.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
A Goonmech Classic returns!!!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Zaodai posted:

I knew it!

I hope it goes supernova if you fire them all.

It absolutely does'nt because I set PPC heat to zero :ssh:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The graphics do update depending on the weapon mounted, too:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yes, it is. You can look closely and see some of the PPCs look like lasers in the right torso, because the hunch skeleton only has defined spots to mount 4 of them.
(I'm sure the graphics were designed to obey actual TT build rules, where you couldn't put more than 4 PPCs in a torso.)

Same for the head slot where it was set to be only a flamer/small laser/MG.

It's super easy to edit things compared to, say, that other cryengine based mech game >.>

Other cool stuff customization wise, it looks like they're going with a bunch of different manufacturers of weapons having slightly different characteristics.
Like a Holly SRM6 might be more accurate, but an Irian version might have a higher crit hit chance.

I'm firing up shadowplay to try and make some gifs because the 9PPC hunch firing is just a laugh riot.

e: I wouldn't look in to the files and stuff too much if you want to be totally unspoiled because there is single player campaign type things you can look at in there.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 2, 2017

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Feindfeuer posted:

Shadowplay does not want to recognize the Battletech process for me :smith:

So this Scout vs Scout engagement had to be recorded with GoonCam.

Yea, I just was wondering about that myself. GoonCam it is.

Re: headshots, the combat table is in one of the settings files:

No idea what the values are relative to.

"HitTables" : {
"CalledShotBonus" : 30,
"HitMechLocationFromFront" : [
{
"k" : "Head",
"v" : 1
},
{
"k" : "CenterTorso",
"v" : 16
},
{
"k" : "LeftTorso",
"v" : 14
},
{
"k" : "RightTorso",
"v" : 14
},
{
"k" : "LeftArm",
"v" : 10
},
{
"k" : "RightArm",
"v" : 10
},
{
"k" : "LeftLeg",
"v" : 8
},
{
"k" : "RightLeg",
"v" : 8
}
],

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Sky Shadowing posted:

So some thoughts:

Boy, it's fun. I'm really glad I shelled out for beta... but if you're on the fence I don't know if it's worth it. That's an odd combination.

Beta's fun. It's got a few quirks. I don't know how many more missions I'm going to play, probably one or two more tonight, a few tomorrow, one or two over the weekend, and occasionally pick it up, then do some goonbrawls when multiplayer is added and play with the MechLab if that ever gets added (they said no but there's a button for it on the main menu, so :shrug:)

But the game is rather dramatically limited as a '4 Mechs vs 4 Mechs' game. There WILL be more modes for skirmish in full release (they're visible in the files), plus vehicles, and of course the full campaign (which, like XCOM, will be the heart and soul of the game- missions have no tension, so long as you win, you win. Campaign will have you worrying about maintaining them and such, and that will add a lot of tension).

In addition beta will 'die' at some point. At this point we don't know if that means only multiplayer will go offline or if the whole drat thing will be taken away (that's what I lean towards, it's 'BattleTech - Backer Beta on Steam, NOT the full product', it doesn't link back to the store page or anything). But you'd basically be paying a $20 premium to play a dramatically limited version of the game that will probably go away in a few months.

I'm happy I did, I have 0 regrets, but if you're wondering about it all you need to know is the game is fun as hell, it FEELS good, the 'Mechs really FEEL huge and heavy, and once its balanced it will be great.

Definitely agree with this. Don't buy in just to get the beta. It's quite good, but it's also actually just a beta and not HEY EARLY ACCESS TO GAME

e:

http://i.imgur.com/9lYvUjY.gifv

Multi-targeting pilot skill:
http://i.imgur.com/knEVqG0.gifv

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I unironically hope the game is extensible enough to support a 'tabletop mode mod' or whatever for those who like that sort of thing!

I have a feeling it will be hard to mod out the initiative systems and the skill systems, interested to see what's possible on release. Hopefully with weapon variants in the game there will be ways to jury rig stuff like variable recycle times. Fingers crossed.

The skills are totally adjustable, and initiative has some things that look like they can be tweaked, but it probably can't be simply removed.

Also, right now, stuff is quite close to the TT values, just scaled up for better flexibility with granular adjustments. All weapon damage and armor/structure is 5x what it's base TT stuff is: AC20s do 100 damage, not 20. PPCs do 50 damage, not 10. An Atlas CT has 155 internal structure, not 31.

The number scaling is essential to let stuff like the bracing to take 50% damage work well, or many other balance considerations. (It's really hard to make sniper type weapons work with small numbers and a fixed rate of fire).

The exceptions to the 5x scaling are stuff like the AC2, which does 25 damage instead of 10, the machine gun, which does 15 instead of 5, and the small laser that does 20 instead of 15.

The major difference that IS there right now, is heat, which is completely changed.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Zaodai posted:

One of the things I mentioned in Discord was that the after-battle report said I played for over 25 minutes in a match, and if you had asked me how long that match took without me looking at the timer I'd have said like 7. It still takes a decent amount of time, but the fact that it doesn't FEEL like it takes absurd amounts of time is a great change. All the people who want to play tabletop batteltech 100% faithful to the rules should probably just play megamek. This was never pitched as a faithful tabletop conversion, they were very up front that they're going to do what is right to make a fun game, and in the after mission survey for the match I played tonight, it asked me two different questions if I thought the game was "really" battletech, and whether the changes bothered me.

My answer was that it captured the feel of the game and I felt the changes made were improvements.

So gently caress the turbospergs.

Now on my own turbo sperg topic: Still don't like what the PPCs look like, think they should be fatter. :colbert:

isildur posted:

the thing is, we have turbospergs on staff. we have people who care *deeply* about BT and its lore and its rules. and we've reached where we're at now after trying a lot of different stuff to try to capture the feel of BT while still making a fun computer game. We've had close adherence to the rules, and we've had wild variant rules with silly poo poo going on, and everything in between. And what we're using as our metric is *playing* the things we try, and then i fill an entire whiteboard with feedback and action items, and we try new things and play those.

our resident BT nerd, Eck, who loves the official rules with a burning passion that's honestly a little creepy, is on board. Once he was on board, and agreed that the game was fun, and won the first office tournament handily, I decided we'd met our obligation to fulfill nerd expectations. It's not exactly like TT but it's different in specific, carefully designed ways that addressed specific, carefully identified problems.

So it's not so much that we don't care about turbonerds, but that we are, ourselves, turbonerds. And we know the path we took from there to where we are now.

I think the feel is completely fantastic, too, personally.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I think Headshots / pilot injuries are in a good place for Skirmish and Multiplayer, but I really hope they turn them down a lot for the campaign. Especially if they make us bring light `Mechs. You have to work to keep Light `Mechs alive.

One of the variables I found was the global modifier to hit based on chassis size (Assaults are easier to shoot than a light, that sorta thing), and I think lights in general can use a bump here.

No one wants the equivalent of the infinitely kiting Wraith/Spider in a multiplayer match, but in single player the light mechs reallllly suffer from not being able to abuse the 2d6 probability curve for their armor like that can in a typical TT game.

If you always have a pilot with the evasive skill then they feel pretty appropriate, in that they dodge a lot, and can take maybe 4-5 good hits before getting totally crippled.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

isildur posted:

what, did she commit war crimes? maybe!

Truly, the way to go straight to Zaodai's heart :allears:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Taerkar posted:

I got the AI to commit to a punchbrawl in a small forest. The final mech standing was my overheated catapult with 6 of the 7 dead mechs within three hexes of it.

Anyone who says this isn't battletech doesn't know what fun battletech is.

^^^^

Currently playing a match with 4 Jagermechs with 6 AC2s on them. All 4 have been firing at a single atlas for about 3 turns now and have yet to reduce any section of armor below half. It's pretty magical.

It does make me wish there was a toggle of some kind just aesthetically to have all weapons fire at once instead of the staggered method that they use now. I know that staggering shots is pretty essential for you to be able to tell what's actually happening (OK, that laser missed, the AC20 connected, etc), but I just want my PILE 'O DAKKA

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

BadOptics posted:

Nothing is more cathartic than caving in the head of a commando who's been knocking your mechs over with SRM spam.

Never not punch metal babbies

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

JacksLibido posted:

This is definitely true and it took me a couple matches to see that ring, with some mechs it's loving HUGE. But you also don't automatically get mech shadows in that ring I think, there's something that has to happen for them to pop up... I just don't know what that is yet.

Different mechs show up at different ranges based on the chassis. A Locust has 3 times the sensor range and half the detection signature of an Atlas. Base sensor range is 400, so a bit less than a large laser.
The tactics pilot skill further increases visual spotting range, which starts at 200 I think.

JacksLibido posted:

I THINK I've tried but I'll admit I got (and am) pretty drunk before playing... I might not be seeing ALL of what I should be seeing in the interface. I'm basing a lot of my gameplay requests off of what I think mechommander+xcom+old school battletech board game should be.

It does, and furthermore mousing over the actual weapon will show what factors are influencing the shot.
Things like chassis size:
Mediums have no bonus or penalty, lights get +1, heavies -1, assaults -2

One thing that's making everything a bit deadlier I think is that it looks like there is no penalty to hit at medium range, unless I'm just mis-reading this (If I had to guess, maybe "short range" is melee range, medium range is actual short, then long/maximum is medium/long in traditional TT terms):
"ToHitMinimumRange" : 12,
"ToHitShortRange" : 0,
"ToHitMediumRange" : 0,
"ToHitLongRange" : 6,
"ToHitMaximumRange" : 10,

Being on a higher elevation does give you better chances to hit and less chance to be hit.
Indirect fire has hit penalties

Walking your own mech has no penalty right now, but it could.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Phrosphor posted:

How did you do this?

Since I never got around to answering this, you just fire up your favorite text editor. All the files you need are in :
(Wherever your steam games are installed) F:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\BattleTech - Private Beta\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data
Make a copy of the folder unless you don't care about re-installing when you want to re-set all your changes

Weapons are in the weapon folder, and the files are very easy to read, like this:
https://pastebin.com/WEDLyn7L

There are a ton of different weapon models in there, but you only want to change the basic one named like Weapon_PPC.json
Values should be pretty self explanatory, and things like tonnage/critical-inventory slots don't matter atm since we have no ingame mechlab or inventory.
Just make changes, save, and start the game and you're good to go.

If you want to really go ham on seeing how you like different styles of combat, along with adjusting weapons look at the CombatGameConstants.json in the constants folder. That has a ton of stuff you can adjust relating to heat, spotting, shooting, everything.
I'm sure some enterprising goons will release their own versions of this file pretty quickly just like we saw in XCOM.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Looks like one of the things with "water OP!" is that it isn't actually increasing movement costs like forests or other terrain features do.

I think I'm going to do some experimenting with heat today, see what I can figure out in terms of heatsinks and capacity and so on.

On one hand, a shitload of the mechs in this era had really terrible heat profiles, and definitely had to pick and choose their weapons fired carefully, because they could overheat themselves in to serious penalty land fast in TT. But it feels like mechs that should have good heat management (I guess the Awesome is the most obvious one here) don't have it to the same degree.

The heatsink item definition doesn't actually mention how much heat it sinks, so this will need some testing.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
OK, few bits of heat info.

All mechs have 10 base heatsinks included with their engine (The typical TT loadout, no surprise there.)
Heatsinks dissipate 3 heat per turn

The big thing is, they only work when you don't fire at all. That's what we're missing I think.

So, like, I put 20 heatsinks on a Battlemaster. If I fire 60 heat worth of weapons, it builds up. Next turn, I don't fire. My heat drops to zero.

If I fire two times in a row, then I don't dissipate any heat and end up taking overheat damage, while being on the edge of shutting down.

There's also something wonky, or just stuff I plain don't know going on as far as heat capacity is concerned. I see the variable saying max heat capacity is 100, but my mech shuts down when firing 85 heat worth of weapons.

Really the main thing for me is that heat needs a far far better UI than an inconsistent bar without any markings on it. (By inconsistent I mean I can select one PPC, and the heat bar barely increases, if I select two then it suddenly leaps all the way to a bit over half full. In theory each PPC should be exactly the same, and shooting two of them (25 heat per) should push a mech halfway to shutdown.

The Guts pilot skill is supposed to increase heat capacity too, but I didn't want to fuss with that for the moment so I set it to 0 on the pilots I used to test.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Plz no ghost heat triggers /shudder

I think it's just the UI being weird and inconsistent as far as heat goes. Without being able to see numbers it ends up being really hard to say.

Also to be clear, I don't think the classic Mechwarrior game heat bar itself needs to go, it just needs some labeled markers and some detail text when you mouse over it so players have some context as to their heat capacity, etc etc.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Here's some example screens:
(This battlemaster has 20 heatsinks, 10 in the engine and 10 additional)

Two large lasers selected, that's 40 heat generation. Barely registers on the heat bar.

Adding a third large laser, taking me up to 60 heat generated.

Some amount of heat must be getting sunk every turn I guess, or something along those lines, because with 35 heat worth of weapons selected I see no buildup:

e: More examples:
Jagermech with no additional heatsinks builds up a tiny bit of heat when firing 20 heat worth of weapons. It builds up lots of heat firing 30 heat of weapons every turn, even though in theory it should sink that much.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 2, 2017

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Rygar201 posted:

According to the manual, your heatsinks work every turn and Guts increases capacity.

Yea, I'm just trying to square what I'd expect to see with what is actually happening

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Rygar201 posted:

That is what I assumed from my games.

If you already have heat you can see this. Firing nothing shows the loss, but firing weapons will appear to rapidly spike it.

Yea, I think dissipation is definitely being factored in, but I just have no idea how much it's doing because as far as I can tell it has no relationship to the numbers that I can see heh.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I so can't wait for the MP.

There's no good violence like goon on goon violence.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Dallan Invictus posted:

I'm probably missing something obvious here, but is there a way to tell how much of a defense mod you'll get from a certain move before you make it, or do you just have to guess based on how many points your move goes through? (and, similarly, is there a way to waypoint moves like control-clicking in XCOM in case you want to take some bizarre circuitous route to maximize move mods?)

I don't think there's a way to tell that that I know of.

re: Heat, I think compared to TT it definitely needed a bit more impact as a throttle on matches, but that opinion is also based very heavily on my TT play preferences, which amounts to "ALL THE ADVANCED CRAZY TECH I LIKE IT ALL." So I'm almost always playing with mechs that have more than ample DHS complements, and the only choices you'd typically make are related to range brackets/backup firepower.

Take the Stalker 8S for example, primarily a sniper packing two ERPPCs and a Heavy Gauss, but it also has a mix of 4 medium pulse and ER lasers. You have enough sinks to sit still and fire both ERPPCs and the HGR forever, but if something gets close in to laser range you can instantly overheat to likely shutdown levels if you want to bring all the lasers in to play along with the PPCs.

(Actually all the stalkers are good examples, probably why I like them so much. They're all over-gunned for what they can sink, but they're usually split up in to decent brackets so you have a good heat neutral punch, or a laughable overkill alpha strike if you find yourself in a position where the to-hit odds are very much in your favor)

Compared to DHS equipped stuff, there's not really many SHS mechs in base play that run cool, or even neutral.
The ones that are tend to be the ballistic based ones, which, while they were abysmal in TT because the AC2 and AC5 were a fuckin waste of space, are actually quite good in this game since ACs have been un-hosed.

I dunno where I was going with this, other than us thinking that heat is really harsh in this game is probably equal parts "Not remembering how much SHS mechs suuuucked on heat" and "Something's going on/the numbers are weird"

I think it's more numbers weird because my benchmark of the 3 PPC Awesome can't even fire twice without incurring internal damage. It sinks an almost imperceptibly minor amount of heat per turn while firing 2 PPCs, so if you did the classic fire 3->fire 3->cool back to nothing while firing 2 then you're still left sitting at 70% ish heat in the current iteration of this system.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 2, 2017

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Assaults and heavies also appear to take more damage from overheating than lights and mediums do.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Internet Explorer posted:

I think they need to make knockdowns more rare in general but also need to make it so that it takes an action to stand back up.

Also they need to make it so that if you use your "move" action, you can still decide to use a "sprint" action instead of firing, like XCOM.

Also also when you are doing melee, even if it's not entirely accurate of the math going on in the background, your mech should really shoot then punch. Especially if you're closing the distance. It just looks so awkward right now.

Definitely agree on the second two points here.

Knockdowns do take an action to stand back up though, it's just effectively half your movement allotment.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

CourValant posted:

Regarding knockdown (again, this is from someone who hasn't downloaded the Beta yet), how do people feel about the stability system vs. piloting roll every 20 DMG?

What is the knockdown mechanic? Is it triggered by damage taken, or some kind of stability percentage abstraction? (i.e., LRMs do a certain % per hit?)

Each weapon and melee strike deals stability damage. When you reach 100% you just fall over. It bleeds off down to 50% naturally if you don't take more, or you can use an action (Brace) to completely clear it all.

A Mech typically has 100 stability (Not sure if some have more or less, I'm looking at a Battlemaster atm).

Lasers do no stability damage.
An AC2 does 5.
An AC20 does 15
LRMs do 4 *per missile*
SRMs do 8 per.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It's time for fun with PUNCHBOT 5000

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Punchbot 5000 is amazing but I do see a lot of mechs punching with limbs that have been blown off.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Great Beer posted:

Several games in and I still have no idea what the "inspire" button does.

The hit probability in this game is drat lies. It doesnt seem to include things like the enemies cover, movement, or evasion from sprinting or skills.

That's a good point, the UI should really really factor in the 50% dodge from Evasive in to your to hit percentages.
It definitely includes the other stuff like movement and so on though.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The problems you're going to have are trying to play lights like you would in TT, basically. In 3025 with average IS pilots (so gunnery 4, no pulse or LBX), you can run a Jenner or Spider around at medium range forever and make sure that anything that wants to shoot it needs at least an 11. Maybe 9 if they stand still.

11s give you really lovely chances to hit, only 8-9%, which is far far lower than anything shooting at a light running around in medium range will have in this game.

That's fine, it just means you have to make sure and use initiative to not get shot, or to be evading + in cover when you do.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Giving lights a much smaller sensor signature in general would probably be enough to let you surprise people with them properly.

Maybe that will really be the Raven's job.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

DatonKallandor posted:

I'm not convinced evasive is extremely good.

Well, it's ok to be wrong I guess.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The AC10 (and 5, and 2) blew complete rear end in tt, it needed a buff. 25 more damage is ok when you're taking a shorter range, explosive ammo, and far more critical slots.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Well as an additional point, let me list all the ways I feel Battletech - the video game imitates Xcom - the game.

Battletech's combat system is Xcom 2 with Mechs, and has the flavor of Battletech mechanics wherever an equivalent could be provided. Move and shoot system? Ah, btech has Sprint, even though it was a maxtech optional rule that just about nobody used - it's ok.

The hit percentages are xcom style. The positioning and aim cones are xcom style and torso turning has been abstracted.

The paperdolls have no damage indicators or visiable armor display. Why? Because Xcom soldiers don't have damage values, they just have hitpoints - there is no locational damage in Xcom. So, when using Xcom for "inspiration" that part didn't get included - since Xcom doesn't have it.

The scale is wrong, because the designers were using Xcom as a reference point, which is soldiers and not robots.

4 mech start point. Why? Because that's what you get in Xcom to start. Why balance by weight and have flexible squad sizes?

Deterministic Soldier Skills - guess what, people loved these in Xcom!

AI roles named after Xcom soldier classes - a mech has to decide who is the sniper. I know this may seem, dumb but actually Sniper is not really a battletech concept. So having someone with Sniper like functionality - lights give you LOS, just like someone would do for a sniper in Xcom. And the LOS mechanics work off the same concept.

The list goes on and on. Shadowrun was "Xcom, but in CYBER SPACE", and this is "Xcom, but with ROBOTS"

It's ok but I feel pretty ripped off for the $60 that I backed a fairly low risk project. I am glad others are happy, but I sure didn't want "HBS makes another Xcom clone, hope this one sells 5 million guys, this will be the one"

I don't know which game you're playing, but it certainly isn't the same one I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I don't actually think jumping hurts your hit rate offhand, but it definitely makes you harder to hit.

There's also a lot of variables that one could play with in the combat settings file, re: adjusting feel and pilot skills:
"UsePilotingToAvoidFalling" : false,
"UseGutsToAvoidFallInjury" : false,

Bolding mine for potential big benefits to piloting skills past shooting

"UnsteadyCountersGuarded" : false,
"MeleeCountersGuarded" : true,
"SolidDamageCountersGuarded" : false,
"SensorLockCountersGuarded" : false,
"UnsteadyCountersEvasive" : true,
"MeleeCountersEvasive" : false,
"SolidDamageCountersEvasive" : false,
"SensorLockCountersEvasive" : true,
"SensorLockCountersMovementBonuses" : true,