Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Skippy McPants posted:

One of the things that makes BT notable as a sci-fi setting is that's it's only humans doing human things. No aliens, and no magical realism.

And ho-boy do the fans get furious when anything comes close to breaking those rules.

Well, there's FTL, but that's deliberately something that hardly anyone barely understands, it just kinda works and they try not to break it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

HBS has shipped 3(Three) isometric turn based games already. I'm confident in their ability to do it again, especially since they're staffed and run by people who are so crazy about Battletech that they made Battletech.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

You guys mean the Hellstar, the abomination with 4 cERPPCs and 30 DHS, although the Nightstar is a perfectly solid mech as well.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

It's easy to understand grogs: they actually think they're very important. They have the Nerd Disease: they think the long-term consumption of media matters, and is a replacement for a personality. When a grog gets pissy at you, it's because they literally cannot understand how you could disagree with them.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

It's a gangly licensed japanbot that they didn't even bother to take the weird plane parts off the back from when it was a transforming jet.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

"Morning! How's it feel to be strapped into a walking 'nuke reactor at 6 AM. Bet you're sorry you didn't study harder in school."

Then again, your career turns out pretty well in M2Mercs. Most people in the sphere won't even have a c-bill in their lifetime, even the people who live on planets that don't suck.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

On the other hand, Hurting People and Breaking Things does tend to pay pretty well, and it's a seller's market in the Inner Sphere.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Which clan were they making fun of, or was it just all of them? MWO did attract spergs like flies to carrion.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Just make sure that the right merc company operates out of Butte Hold.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Having the WoB be literal space terrorists who'd wiped their bases off the records and were doing bad guy things would have been better than a new ultra-fanatic army and navy out of nowhere that was just strong enough to provide fodder for the nominal heroes but not able to actually accomplish anything meaningful.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Strobe posted:

I'm the Blood Angels codex underneath.

Holy poo poo, you're right. They must be attracted to each other, like some singularity of bad decisions about money.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

UI takes a really long time to do, because the first three times you build it will completely suck and the whole thing is directly user facing and has to be intuitive, pretty, and useful.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

We don't have wired reflexes but we can probably work out something rather similar to Novacoke.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Does that make this the Titanic?

Probably more like the Queen Elizabeth.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Magni posted:

So, uh, this seems to be a thing:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_33WnIpLEADui_Rh6dqSqtOKgNWRveWQ/view

Harmony Gold's lawsuit apparently got dismissed with prejudice, on behalf of both parties, it seems? :stare:

So what you're saying is, Unseen DLC in three months?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Mwll is an incredible game and I am constantly astonished that it doesn't have a bigger player base.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Nickiepoo posted:

Is space combat a thing within the BT universe? I am ignorant and this seems like a thing which should exist.

I know of aerospace fighters but nothing beyond that.

Yes, but it's rare because warships are ruinously expensive and hard to build.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Libluini posted:

The Battletech Universe always makes me wonder what would happen if mankind makes contact with an alien civilization who didn't waste all their resources on giant robots and killing each other.

It would probably not be pretty.

They'd be exterminated or enslaved by one of the aggressive, expansionist powers of humanity.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Hands and wrists are a robust, flexible, and proven design for interacting with a wide variety of objects. It's hard to beat them.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Coucho Marx posted:

The other big 'oh hey that's clever' thing you can do (or at least I found clever) was actually making use of terrain as cover. Obviously this isn't a cover shooter, but it's really often easy to hide your mechs behind some rocks or the slope of a hill and get the enemy to come close. Works even better with JJs, as you have so much more control over angles of attack from there.

This is what makes the second piloting ability so powerful. You can reserve a light or medium to the end of the order, move out and shoot, then shoot again, then break line of sight, all without the enemy ever getting a chance to engage them.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Szcwczuk posted:

So another question I have is about money. I am so poor all the time, like on the verge of bankruptcy constantly. When you finish a mission and get salvage you see this screen.

For this mission it says the value of this salvage is 4 million. Can you liquidate this completely?

If you get 3 parts and sell a completed mech, it will be worth a lot of money.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

BitterAvatar posted:

I feel like I have no idea how to successfully use called shot. It always seems to be pointlessly low percentage chance to hit. What am I doing wrong?

The percentage displayed is not your hit chance, it's the chance for a hit to be on that specific component (as opposed to elsewhere on the target.) Your chance of hitting somewhere are still displayed in the lower right.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Steam's news feed has always been a ridiculous joke.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm waaaay more likely to savescum if some nigh-irreplaceable +++ bit of expensive gear (PPC or AC20 or LRM20 or the gauss or something) eats it than if someone has to punch out.

God help us if they start putting Gauss+ or ++ in the game. Actually, there's probably a mod for that right now.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Over time the fluff on neurohelmets has evolved to where your brain is doing most of the heavy lifting when it comes to piloting a mech. It's not just reading your sense of balance, it's a weird kind of mental discipline that helps the computer control tons of myomer.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

For how much MW4 I played I remember gently caress all about what I did playing them. Playing through Mercs again one mission and one crash at a time isn't helping!

Like I had no idea Mercs had an overarching plot instead of various microcampaigns

The first, like, half of the game is just you making your ridiculous rep while the war heats up. Then it's open contract time from both sides.

Assuming this all isn't just some old smarmy sounding guy telling impossibly tall tales about how he won the war for Victor and walked into Solaris to win it, etc.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

I kind of hope they start adding support for ECM stuff.

TAG and Arrow IV, baby :getin:

RIP Keith Andrew :smith:

Doesn't Keith link up with the northern elements trying to reach you in the first place?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

a MechWarrior calling himself Spectre has arrived at your command post...

If Spectre isn't the boss fight for Solaris in the next mechwarrior game I'm going to riot.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

On that note, is there a goonsensus on pilot skills?

My current impression is that early on when you fight with and against lights and mediums you want Evasion on everybody and a 2/2 split between Multiattack and Sensor Lock to take down those evasive pips fast; then as you move into heavies and assaults evasive pips are much less valuable and you want Breaching Shot + Bulwark for mechs that can exploit the gunnery skills (LRMs and ballistics) and Bulwark + Master Tactician for everybody else. Does that sound right?

The best way to avoid damage is to kill things very dead as quickly as possible, and the best way to do that is with called shots, so tactics are a good way to go.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

gimme my Blaze/Mustang/Aisa Thastus lance from MW4: Mercs and get out of my way

Falcon was so mad about having to work for you in that game, it was great.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The worst part of the whole MWO debacle was PGI thinking it was actually their success and not the franchise carrying them, which they immediately attempted to squander by pouring the MWO revenue into their dumb EVE rip-off.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Living legends is still running and still has a devteam. Play it instead of MWO.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Panfilo posted:

I tried it, and while it is neat being able to also use vehicles and aircraft it is still pretty fast paced. I'm guessing it is a heavily modded version of some other FPS game?

I think it's the extremely modded corpse of the Crysis Wars free demo, which is ironic because MWO is cryengine.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Good old rocket nose chest, ready to deflect shots right up into the cockpit.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

It's even a thing in the fiction, where mechs lose a lot of their mystique during battalion and regiment sized engagements because they melt in fractions of a second under the weight of combined fire.

It's why the Great Houses avoid actual wars, because they don't really want things to change, they just want to show up and robot joust a bit before going back to putting their robot feet on the backs of the people.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

If you want to aggressively suspend your disbelief and Enjoy The Robots, you have to start with the core principle that Mechs are a good idea and work backwards from there. Clearly the advantage over conventional vehicles isn't that they're more efficient from a cost standpoint, so the other benefits as presented by the setting (they're more durable, they last longer because of Myomer being space magic, they have superior endurance, they can handle rough terrain better, they tend to have more flexible loadouts) have to be enough to push the choice of discerning buyers in the direction of picking them over conventional forces.

I mean, LRM carriers firing at something that's been hit with a TAG by a dude under a camo net are still probably a better choice for a planetary defense force on a budget, but that's not as portable as a Baron von Oppressor's household lance in a Leopard.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Mechs take time to get used to, they're partly brain piloted. Each model is a new skill, especially with the clunky interfaces of the timeframe the game takes place in. Professional pilots are in part sought after because they can pick up new chassis easily or have experience in a wide variety of them.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

What's the two-line summary of Wars of Reaving? The Clans finally collapsing under the weight of their own hypocrisy?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

So why not release the viruses first then wait until they've cut down on brutal overlord populations before deploying the clones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Back Hack posted:

I remember when the community at large called us conspiracy nuts, because how dare we accuse their special snowflake of underhandedness and dishonesty! :pgi: would never do something so deceiving. :rolleyes:

E: A handful months later, they kickstarted Tranverse.

It was so obvious that the bare, cut to the bone minimum of revenue was going to mwo and oh look here's a stupid eve knockoff.