Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I have absolutely no background in Battletech, how complicated is the game if I'm experienced in modern XCom and Front Mission?

I've just been using the default loadouts and spamming easy missions for cash so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Is the point of multiple jump jets on a mech to jump farther?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Is Ammo refilled between missions, or do you have to actually buy refills between missions?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

For the memory thing, does it only count manual saves or auto-saves also bog it down? And where can I disable auto-saves then?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So I'm still kinda confused on how to play defense. Is it always better to maximize move so you get 2 pips of evasion?

How do you get rid of evasion efficiently other than Sensor lock and melee?

Is there a damage indicator of how much you'll do in the preview menu?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm still in the very beginning since time problems, but what do I do with the Light mech since all it can carry is basically the lasers. Do I just beeline the story missions, and how far until I get story equipment?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah main reason why I've been avoiding even my first story mission so far is to build up some cash reserve so I can max out my morale early via extra monthly payment.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I just finished the prison break and got my first heavy mech (probably replacing my Vindicator. My other 3 are centurian, blackjack, shadow).

I've just been using a lot of missiles, also because I didn't know that each pilot is limited to two master skills so uh...I have double Sensor Lock. Whoops.

I want to try and use AC sniper guns, but they're just so heavy. An AC10 weighs like 12 tons, when I can fit like 3 times as many lasers or missiles on that. Am I just supposed to spartan my armor to nil to equip that?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

How many minimum jump jets would you recommend?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's not like Adam Jensen has any future employment

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I have a bunch of mid range suits. It seems like Wolverine is better than Vindicator and Blackjack? I dunno what's the real difference besides weapon slots and slight tonnage difference.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I started trying out some AC-2 instead of just relying on LRM 20 spamming. It seems....okay? I dunno if I'm not far enough that they're actually okay to use over a billion M lasers yet.

I just finished the mission where I have a time limit to kill a dropship building for reference.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So general question, is there any downside to stacking like max M lasers since they're so light? I've been pretty much sticking them whatever because they're just 1 ton.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

They can give light mechs an endgame upgrade where they move twice per turn, since their advantage is speed.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Battletech now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP98EJCvWuk&t=24s

What People want:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQoPnWNLKUE&t=12s

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I tried switching it up (still in the assault/light mechs part of the game) with rocking a laser spammer and a SRM close range fighter. Still ended up riding on my two LRM users to do most of the fighting.

I guess I should proceed further into the story so I can at least start getting better non-LRM weapons and mechs.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The Battletech cartoon wishes it had animation that good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-_-8D8R4CU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Which story mission switches the game from lights and mediums to heavies being a regular thing?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

How much damage should a mech output? I know my laser mech on paper has a lot of damage (like 4 M lasers+PPC) but it sure doesn't feel like it.

Also still haven't done my next story mission because I suddenly found Orions in backwater missions and am trying to hunt one down.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Some strategy games have limitations on missions, like ones where missiles are banned on both sides would change things up.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's not front mission 5, but it's hitting that itch of killing mechs and playing Pokemon with parts that's sadly a niche you're not getting anywhere else.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I started over to retool some stuff, got excited when I saw an Orion before I even have the argo.

Then I got into a store and saw that I can buy a catapult for 2 million. drat, didn't realize you can get it so early so easily.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I see a shop with Catapult, are these fixed no matter what the game progression is and where are the other Heavies?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Got an Orion fully functional from an assassin mission.

Okay, I think I'll finally start that prison mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Beat the game a few months into existence, has anything major changed balance-wise with all the expansions or is it still missile barrage city?