Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

In before nerd rage over Multiplayer beta delay

I am still hype to blow up AI mechs :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Why do some people seem to think beta testing is supposed to be play this finished game early?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Just to make sure I properly understand all of this, we'll be getting a KS update email that contains our key (or a link to it) sometime today?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Q_res posted:

The email will tell you your key is available, you'll have to access your BackerKit for the actual key.

Is that something through KS, or something else? This is the first game Kickstarter I have backed/

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I'm not going to be free to play till like 0100 UTC anyway, so the delay is no big deal, until about 0130 when it begins to affect me. Then it will be a Big Deal

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

According to the manual, your heatsinks work every turn and Guts increases capacity.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Voyager I posted:

I'm not sure this lines up with the numbers you've stated, but it looks like the bar is showing only heat in excess of cooling capacity. 35 heat doesn't show up at all because none of it will accumulate, 40 heat just barely edges over capacity, and 60 heat shows a huge spike in accumulation because it's all excess now.

That is what I assumed from my games.

If you already have heat you can see this. Firing nothing shows the loss, but firing weapons will appear to rapidly spike it.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

CourValant posted:

For those who have been playing the Backer Beta, how is the 'overheat causes internal damage' mechanic?

It seems rather punitive to me, and really discourages riding that heat scale. That being said, I don't want to pre-judge without having even loaded up the game.

It's a minor amount of internal damage so long as you are between OH and SD on the scale. It's not terrible.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, it's really negligible. Frankly I"ve just been ignoring it. They need to triple, at least, the heat damage.

or narrow the band between OH and SD

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Zaodai posted:

I think it's a bigger deal once you're damaged, so it's more of a tradeoff. If you're at standoff range LRMing, then no it's not a huge deterrent.

Once you have some holes in your armor, taking extra structure damage is a dicey, yeah

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Yeah, I really doubt you will be able to consistently overheat during the campaign. Setting aside just the longer battles, I imagine structure damage will have additional repair costs on top of armor repair, so even if that mech is never otherwise damaged you could be running up repair bills.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

Better PPCs would discourage LRM kiting as well.

PPC Damage from 50 to 75 and LRM stability damage down maybe 10-15% would be a great first pass

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Evasive isn't a to hit malus, it's a chance for the targeted 'mech to Dodge the shots.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Kanos posted:

I'm only basing this off watching streams, but it feels weird that evasive move is just as effective when used on an Atlas as on a Locust.

Yeah I would be surprised if this continues. You'd expect maybe 50% for Lights and Mediums, 25 or 33 for heavies, and then either 25 or 15 for Assaults.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Isildur, do you know if there are/plans to add animations for mechs falling forward too?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Look at these dudes who don't laugh watching 'mechs matrix dodge missiles

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I am now Extremely hype for my personal 'Mech Commander to take the field in the single player. Anyone else feeling the same way?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

While I get that Read the Manual isn't going to cut it for a lot of people, I am going to make this argument anyway.

Evasive is displayed by the enemy 'mech and you will often know that the enemy 'mech will have sprinted. Evasive isn't a hit malus (a 50% hit malus would actually be weaker than Evasive), it works like other defensive buffs.

Hopefully this is clearly communicated by the in game tutorial at release, since I know people don't like to read Owner's Manuals.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Myrmidongs posted:

I want a text-box search to find mechs.

Cosigned

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Battletech heresy but - remove heads as a distinct location. All other armour values need to be adjusted for balance reasons, but just have head hits be a controllable outcome of certain kinds of CT crits with the result being a pilot injury/unconsciousness/death depending on how bad it is.

No, this is un cool.

Personally, I am excited for the current system wherein high ground gives you better chances of headsh. Keep in mind that bracing and cover give damage reduction, so if you properly utilize those you will sharply reduce the instances of AC 10's doming you from the fog.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Gwaihir posted:

I don't thiiink high ground alone gives you better head hit chances but DFAs most certainly do.

Oh, I may have misread one of the data dumps. I thought elevation gave headshot advantage, like an FPS hah

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I dont understand why Assaults have so much worse sensor range. Or spotting range - arent most of them taller and more stable platforms?

More CPU power is going to towards aiming all their guns?

:shrug:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Less feeding Rooks to the meat grinder is good though.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Voyager I posted:

FiraXcom is a very good game, but it doesn't always capture the feeling of those complete clusterfuck missions where half the squad gets downed by a stun bomb before they even step off the ramp and by turn 3 you're down to a couple of rookies frantically trying to shuttle officers and plasma weapons back onto the Skyranger before they bleed to death.

Yeah, that's a good thing.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I was hoping that would take out his CT, hah

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Hmm? A spaceship for your Command Center? Sounds like some other successful tactics game...

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Everyone whining about evasive move is ignoring the many ways that it can be mitigated though. A lot of them are extrapolating from the beta for MP or campaign balance, which is inherently speculative.

Personally, I think Evasive move should be toned down for Assaults at least. We'll see what HBS does.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Q_res posted:

Nah, the ways to mitigate it all have serious drawbacks. It's entirely accurate to say that Evasive Move is the best Pilot Skill in the game, and it's really not even arguable. It gives you a huge defensive buff for essentially no downside. And to counter it, your opponent has to do basically 1 of 3 things. Take Sensor Lock, which requires you to forgo weapons fire from one of your Mechs entirely just to use it. Melee, which is likely going to force you to expose one of your Mechs to his entire lance and possibly without the benefit of cover, either the in-game state or the use of terrain to block LoS. All just for the chance to knock him out of Evasive. You can always shoot him out of it, but that is basically going to require a shitload of missile fire to pull off reliably, so to take advantage of that you'll have to reserve down most of your Mechs so you can drop as much weight of fire on him as possible before he moves again and regains Evasive.

That's not to say it needs to be banished from the game, but the complaints are understandable because it's really, really loving good.

It's much better than Bulwark for zero opportunity cost. Bulwark makes you easier to hit and partially mitigates damage. Evasive Move makes you harder to hit, and totally negates some damage. It's overtuned. I'd be mostly fine with it if there were diminishing returns by weight class

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Pretty much this. It makes sense on a light mech and is annoying but not nuts. At the end of the day you can just alpha the gently caress out of a light with evasive and count on the half that do hit to do enough damage that you'll kill it. Where it gets to be total bullshit is when it's an assault with evasive.

edit: this would be really easy to solve by having some skills only apply to some mech weights. Evasive only on lights and mediums, bullwark only on heavies and assaults.

This is the better idea, yeah.

I wonder if they will add any other pilot skills to launch. Are there any locked skills in the files?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Kanos posted:

It's an extremely intuitive change. It would make sense on a gut level that it's easier to move a smaller, more nimble light mech evasively than it is to waddle a gigantic fat rear end assault mech evasively.

*Atlas pilot upon learning Evasive Move* I know Kung-Fu!

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Oh, I'm not arguing that it doesn't make sense from a logic perspective. Merely that something making logical sense isn't required for Battletech game balance. :pseudo:

Evasive should neutralize your other defensive bonuses. So you get your 50% dodge modifier, but the shots that get through aren't subject to cover or move mods or whatever. All of that is rolled in to you "evading".

That's just straight up worse than the def mods though?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Is it? Is 50% of the shots that come at you not hitting worse than a 10% modifier or whatever from moving? I doubt it. I mean if your logic is that lights are ducking and weaving faster, then they must be ducking and weaving through any nearby cover, so why get credit for the cover twice? If we're fine with Evasive being bullshit, it might as well be your only bullshit.

I think this change would weaken the base Evasive buff too much. If you sprint and give up firing, I think def mods and dodge chance is warranted.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Kanos posted:

I guess I don't get why you think tweaking game balance to make it so all classes of mech are potentially useful in a variety of situations(instead of light mechs being sensor lock bots and nothing more) is some kind of unnatural "affirmative action". It's game balancing.

Is making it so the AC/2 and AC/5 aren't total garbage compared to lasers considered ballistics affirmative action?
Look at this guy with his Affirmative Action pawns. Wish I could bring all rooks instead.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Q_res posted:

It's worth mentioning, with the Master Tactician skill you shed the "Unsteady" state when you Reserve.

Which is lowkey fantastic. It just sheds stab damage when you reserve which gives you multiple opportunities per turn to drop stab damage compared to other Pilots' one.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I love having Hunchbacks or Orions moving a phase ahead personally. I take Arclight a lot for that reason

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Amechwarrior posted:

I found the rules for manipulating the Initiative turn order. This will apply to single and multiplayer equally.

https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/8711/comments/160726

So, it boils to alternating activations within and between phases? Seems pretty straightforward.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

sebmojo posted:

I've heard that a lot of what you'd think of as core game stuff actually happens quite late in development, idk if that's the case here or if they've just been optimistic about how fast they could get stuff done.

My understanding is that for most games, there is a single digit number of weeks between the first time the game can be played start to finish to launch.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

You can impose challenges on yourself or mod the files to keep it interesting

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

It's a shame HG is trying to make a Copyright case and not a Trademark case.

So they're not even good IP trolls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

You go to court with the filings you have, not the filings you want.

In every trial, there known unknowns, and unknown unknowns.