Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Also it's only weapons, nothing else. And you need several of the weapons to do upgrades beyond the first tier.

You can upgrade the engine by adding engine upgrade components like "XL Engine" but that is a completely separate component (and probably not something you'll see at the beginning).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

If anyone ITT is like me and only has Mechwarrior 5 but not Battletech, then the mercenary collection is now 70% off on Fanatical: https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/battletech-mercenary-collection. $30 or so (£21.69 for me).

The base game has the same discount on humble store, but not for the DLC.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Play roguetech then :cheeky:, that definitely does not skimp on tonnage on any missions (I think as a general guide treating it like adding +2 skulls to any difficulty is about right).

On a semi-related note the LAM start in it is absolutely disgusting if you get good fliers, you can start with one and half skull missions right away (which is basically all mechs with semi-advanced equipment). 11 points of evasion, mech-level armour and guaranteed back shots with no terrain considerations (AND you can still land anytime you want to hide).

e: I actually wouldn't mind an easier version of roguetech since you can't really use half the toys except at the beginning, but it is what it is. The toyota technicals and industrial mechs farmer uprising start is a lot of fun too.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 8, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Chainclaw posted:

I feel like I was stuck in Roguetech for like 20+ missions on the game just dropping garbage, so no good salvage. Instead of a few heavy mechs, it was like 12-16 light and medium mechs. As I went up half a skull to a skull from there, it just sent more light mechs toward me.

I think they've recently changed it to be harder/scale up faster, so you might find it's different now. But if anything I really wouldn't say it's too much garbage, the problem is more getting off the ground over the ERPPC-wielding mechs and whatnot else half a star throws at you. All this is playing on planet difficulty and 0 variance, the new company difficulty is just about grinding.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Chainclaw posted:

I finally updated Roguetech to the version that nukes saves, so looks like I'm starting over. This time I enabled a bunch of extra bullshit in the settings, because why not.

I forgot how long first launch was, waiting for everything to cache.

I enable everything except for Heretech and most of the pilot/portrait/emblem stuff (RTO community pack excepted as they get some very nice custom traits, but the others are just goofy internet pilot portraits).

Even nukes aren't that bad if you accept that sometimes you're just going to lose. If you can salvage some they really help with high-end enemies where normal artillery doesn't do much anymore.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Both RTX and DLSS (oddly enough, I can run native 4k maxed just fine but with DLSS get 30% fewer frames) apparently cause issues, it's annoying but that's what it is.

I'm seeing the same issues on a 3070ti FWIW.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Ensign Expendable posted:

My problem was that it went "Here's the target, here's the opposition. You took a bomber to bomb some stuff? What an idiot, an absolute moron. Dogfight the enemy ace now."

Edit: I fixed my framerate issues by disabling DLSS, ray tracing is on and it looks prettier than ever with the ultra effects mod. The downside is now I can't camp one place for too long or the smoke and fire make it impossible to see.

Try turning on thermal penetrating sight if you have yaml (it's PgUp/PgDown for the two sights by default). It really helps since it sees through smoke but it does have limited range compared to normal/nightvision.

e: Also I almost went bankrupt in RT despite playing on generous contract rewards. How you might ask? Well, I bought a royal Atlas 2 for 9.6M at the beginning of my third month :getin:

e2: I got it on Epsilon Indi where there is a bunch of royal SLDF stuff for sale, not sure it's because it's a castle brian which the RT wiki mentions adds SLDF tech or if it's special because of the whole thing that happened on Epsilon Indi. Normally you can't buy assault mechs in RT at all, but since SLDF is not around in 3040 that might be why.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 10, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

It works fine, I'm using it right now.

I also use Hellfire and Brimstone PPC/Autocannon Effects instead of WeaponFX (the missile one has some minor conflict with YAML) which I find is a bit boomier, but YMMV.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

It reduces your vision range quite a lot though, I wouldn't call it broken. You're in a big mech full of sensors after all.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Jimbot posted:

Are there mods that change spawn locations at all? These attack convoy missions are borderline impossible. You start several turns away from the road and even with light mechs you barely get to the target in time and you barely have enough time to attack it. With mediums you can just melee it to death in one turn but small mechs don't have that alpha strike and the weapons barely do anything to them. The vehicles, on their turns, just zip past you and move so far so fast.

Roguetech has this, but it's also somewhat more difficult than the default game. Well if you set all the difficulty options on minimum it's going to be comparable to vanilla (there's a limited range you can select from).

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Yeah they are pretty explicit about it by putting the sliders right into the main menu screen, with a strong *wink wink nudge nudge you might want to change this*. All the other options are tucked away.

It is arguably more accurate to the actual tabletop rules but it does make some missions massively harder.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

BTA AMS is virtually useless lol, what an odd change.

Oh yeah no, RT AMS is both essential and disgustingly effective, particularly the better versions of it and when they are stacked in lance mode.

It does balance out missiles some so I don't mind it too much.

That said you absolutely can overwhelm it, especially if you use bolt-on rockets as well.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 24, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

If you have overlapping coverage in BTA you might intercept maybe 10-15 missiles, which isn't nothing, but individual ones are going to catch maybe a couple of missiles from a big salvo.

I think RT is maybe two to three times as effective as that (or even more with especially good AMS like the pirate laser AMS).

That said I think part of it is that lots of enemies in RT use the laser AMS or mk.2 advanced AMS, rather than just the basic one.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Best way to get around that is to use FOW positioning such that you are not seen by the AMS-zilla and shoot at things away from it.

Not really a solution maybe but I like that I have to put some actual effort in. Also some missiles are less susceptible to AMS, either due to being semi-unguided or having high health, which helps them stand out. And it makes ballistics and energy weapons more worthwhile.

For all the RT foibles I really like the way the game plays with it, it's much more balanced and there is a huge selection of toys to use.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 24, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Roguetech for life.

I do lower the difficulty some though.

e: Since you said you'd stick with it for a while I recommend using the "minimum difficulty" settings from https://roguetech.fandom.com/wiki/Introduction_to_Roguetech for the first few of your games - all it does is give you more slack in terms of money, it doesn't make the enemy less deadly in any way. Also lethality "never" helps a lot for the viability of battle armour and vehicles, since you don't have to worry about them blowing up, as they tend to do.

Also make sure you are using planet difficulty and shared FoW in the install settings, that helps a lot too. Don't worry about disabling optional components, it's part of the charm of roguetech and I would not disable them.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 27, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Bing Chat as applied to Battletech mods:

summary posted:

BEX (Battletech Extended) is a mod that adds more content to the vanilla game, such as new mechs, weapons, factions and missions. It is relatively stable and faithful to the original game mechanics.

BTA (Battletech Advanced) is a mod that overhauls many aspects of the game, such as mech customization, combat difficulty, AI behavior and equipment variety. It also adds new features like quirks, pilot fatigue and ammo explosions.

RogueTech is a mod that transforms Battletech into a roguelike game with extreme difficulty, complexity and realism. It introduces hundreds of new mechs, weapons, equipment and factions from different eras of Battletech lore. It also changes many core mechanics like heat management, initiative system and mech repair.

pros and cons posted:

BEX:

Positives: More content and variety without changing the core gameplay. Stable and fast performance. Compatible with other mods.

Negatives: Less challenging and customizable than other mods. May feel too similar to vanilla for some players.

BTA:

Positives: More depth and complexity in mech customization and combat. New features like quirks, fatigue and ammo explosions. More balanced difficulty curve.

Negatives: More bugs and crashes than BEX. May overwhelm some players with too many options and mechanics.

RogueTech:

Positives: More realism and immersion in Battletech universe. Huge amount of mechs, weapons, equipment and factions from different eras. More strategic choices and consequences.

Negatives: Extremely hard and unforgiving gameplay. Long loading times and performance issues. May frustrate some players with too much RNG and micromanagement.

I dunno seems fair?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Well the bloated bit is part of the attraction for me, but I can see why some might hate it.

e: Though I'm not sure if I agree with the "roguelike" part of the description. It's roguelite at best. Not that making it more like a traditional roguelike would be an improvement.

On that note there are two actual mech roguelikes, GearHead 1 and 2, and they are very good if you like roguelikes and mech games. They have both on-foot and mech gameplay; they're also making a new one (GearHead Caramel) which is in EA on Steam.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Feb 28, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Chainclaw posted:

Mostly what I have to say about it is it takes forever to load and I save scum a lot because I don't have patience for some of the bullshit.

Is loading a save really savescumming? I can't imagine playing it ironman, rogue in the name or not. There's just far too many fuckyou moments it throws at you.

I recently failed two missions in a row because all my units got nuked each time, albeit in different ways (missile and bomb I think). I most definitely was not going to just keep playing after that.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 1, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Best Friends posted:

I’ve avoided all mods just because I find the base game slow on my (not terrible!) machine, so I’ve figured mods would make that worse. But, is that assumption accurate?

Oh yeah, most definitely, I have an overclocked 5700x + 32 GB ram + 980pro SSD and still end up tabbing out when a battle is loading in RogueTech.

That said the extra workload is mostly when loading different screens and computing hit calculations.

Best Friends posted:

And I know it’s unlikely, but are there any mods out there that increase performance?

There are a couple that are integrated in the big mods and can probably be downloaded separately, but I don't have links. Including limited multithreading support.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Azhais posted:

All that fancy new code and the best they can come up with is LRM carriers ramming my mechs

This actually got fixed in the latest RogueTech update.

Well "fixed" in that ramming now does damage to both sides depending on weight, with equal damage if the weight is the same.

It makes the AI want to do it a lot less though.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

tactlessbastard posted:

Haven’t modded it yet, have done the two or three first missions. Quick questions, while I’m running around with just the centurion and the javelin, is it normal to have a week or two of repairs after each mission? Do I need to just get gud?

Yes.

tactlessbastard posted:

Does barreling through buildings and or stomping on tanks cause leg damage?

Also yes, as does falling and colliding at too high a speed. But for heavier mechs running through buildings is fine.

tactlessbastard posted:

How many loving helicopters can one drat planet have?

Be grateful they are heavily toned down compared to lore.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Barely managed to fight off 2 lances of 6 with 4 tough hero mechs across them (2 of them LAMs and 2 of them heavies), in a 6 unit limit battle when I'm running a mix of mediums and heavies. 4 battered mechs survive.

Darius: A milk run, as expected.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 3, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I went and did a 1.5 red skull mission in RogueTech before I have assaults to try to snag some better equipment.

On the one hand I managed to get enough pieces to make a special stone rhino (railgun + 2xHAG/40) variant, but on the other the same variant scrapped 4 of my mechs.

Still probably worth it.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Yeah it's best to go for weapons that cover roughly the same range. Maybe in MW5 where most fights are fairly close range, but even then that's a very eclectic mix.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

You know how Battletech has the "local government"? It's that.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Assuming you're talking about BT not MW5 then there are 3 big mods. If you look back in my post history I posted an AI-genrerated summary of them.

I don't think RT or BTA are that bad, sure it's more grindy but there's also a lot more content to go through.

Both have a lot of exclusive content not in the smaller mods.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 15, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I haven't finished the campaign because all mods broke and I didn't backup my save, but I think he was a clan infiltrator?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

And also you get only a fraction of the items, similar to HBS battletech.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Chainclaw posted:

Did a recent Roguetech update do something weird with weapon jamming? I'm having Medium lasers jam, and I'm having weapons I didn't fire jam now.

Salean posted:

They changed the jinxed trait so that it effects all weapons, not just those with jam chances. They're going to change it so that it only increases the chance to jam on weapons that already have a jam chance at some point.

It's fixed now.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Rise of Rasalhague adds rival mercenaries and the bounty hunter system, which I think is worth it.

Cta has some new mechs and missions but then so does kestrel lancers.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Isn't it drukhii not drukhari.

I mean yes that just proves the point.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Mile'ionaha posted:

I beat BT vanilla back when it came out, now playing MW5.

In MW5, Arrow5 is hilarious, Long Tom utterly disappointing.

I remember it being pretty strong if you can get a direct hit off, even if the splash damage is a bit meh.

Could be wrong though.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Mile'ionaha posted:

Interesting you say that when the tool tip recommends aiming at their feet.

I think that's because the legs have less armour but will still result in a kill, but not sure?

I've seen it one-shot heavy mechs from full when hitting back torso. IIRC there's both a splash and direct damage component, like in BT for that matter too.

e: It's definitely not as strong as multiple gauss or PPC build, but it's still pretty good.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 7, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Captain Foo posted:

Right now in bta i have a marauder with three binary lasers and a precision pilot and makes a p good sniper. Earlier in the game i had an improved binary laser which was disgusting but it got blown up and i don’t know where i got it from

E: also do not sleep on lrm carriers as friendly fire support. 3x ArtIV LRM20 is nothing to sneeze at and even a rookie tanker can rack up kills in a hurry

2xArrow carriers are also really good, 3 or 4 of them can do absurd amounts of damage over time.

In roguetech offline you can get them from the Kurita faction store, not sure about BTA.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

GD_American posted:

They recycle.

Also you can run most of the non-campaign ones multiple times to get scrap for unique mechs.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

If you're playing mods you might get significantly less though, roguetech has something like a 90% cut to the selling cost by default.

It's not too bad though if you run an occasional money contract here and there.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Chainclaw posted:

Roguetech I've found that I end up balancing money versus salvage on contracts a lot. Repair costs are very high and the default selling cost is so low.

I also find that I end up taking my 5 pieces to make mechs, then immediately scrapping them often because the sales cost is always lower than the repair cost. I sometimes sell the individual pieces of the mech, but right now I'm mostly constrained on finding actual gear to put on my mechs, so assembling -> scrapping gives me the gear that was on the mech I pieced back together.

I quite like the balance it has, because it makes salvage usually give less money than taking money itself does, so it's not a complete no-brainer which one to go for.

That said I do play on generous/generous (+50% money and salvage) but it's not such a large bonus and with that I feel like money is quite easy to come by, especially later on. I only really do it so I don't have to run as many contracts and it doesn't change the salvage/money balance mechanic since both get boosted.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Yeah I also play with 3 parts per mech.

Maybe it's cheating, though I hear that if you play on the online map the faction store is much better, since it's made out of other players drops. But then you can't lower difficulty.

IDK I'm just having fun. I find as I get older and have less time and energy for games I stopped caring about difficulty as much, especially the progression kind (as opposed to difficult fights, which I get via planet difficulty whenever I want). I'm just in it to smash robbits together and watch the explosions.

e: I currently have something like 16 mostly heavy and assault mechs and 30 vehicles+BA, about 50-100 hours in.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 12, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

You must have missed it I think, though maybe the friendly dropship markers are a different colour like teal or green? Haven't had that happen to me.

You can try reporting it in the discord if you can replicate it and take some screenshots, they have a very simple system for bug tickets.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

On one hand RogueTech does allow swapping out structure for most mechs, including LAMs, but on the other it's even harder to hunt for specific equipment in it. Well maybe it's not that bad since the loot tables seem to have more equipment than in BTA, but it only has limited store selection if you aren't playing on the online map.

It does also cost a good deal of money to swap it out.