Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Paingod556 posted:

No gifs showing off melee, 0/10 OP, rated 1 star :colbert:

When I'm not phone posting I can provide, assuming no-one beats me to it

Don't worry, I've got you covered:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's too bad there are enough scams and/or projects that are just not able to deliver- Kickstarter has been a great platform for companies like HBS who consistently deliver a high quality result in a reasonable timeframe; but there are a lot of people who are leery of kickstarter because of the shitters.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Strobe posted:

Too tall. But that's a scale problem that's been happening with MWO and the MechWarrior 5 video that PGI is trying to make, too, so I'm not surprised it showed up here.

Looks like they are using the PGI scaling indeed, which is about 75% over. Canon Atlas is 11m IIRC, PGI's is 18m, and most mechs are similarly resized.

I don't hate that change TBH. Even with the size scaled up some of these mechs are ridiculously small given what's supposed to be in them, and the size of the cockpits etc.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Part of the issue with AI retreats is also that it tends to feel really aggravating to players when wounded enemies flee instead of getting to finish them off.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I don't like the poses, but I really like the designs & art style.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

veedubfreak posted:

Just curious, but are there any other countries in the world where you can just sit on an IP and sue anyone and everyone for basically poo poo reasons without ever developing said property?

There are, but generally it's only the countries that the US has bullied into enforcing the same stupid IP laws itself has for "trade reasons."

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I believe someone's sleuthing of the data from the link says this lawsuit was filed on the first of May this year, and HBS announced their partnership with Paradox after that date. While negotiations with Paradox may have started prior to the suit being filed, because the announcement was after, I think it's a pretty safe bet that Paradox is either A) Already aware that HBS is getting sued and is willing to provide legal teams and/or money for such, or B) already negotiated with HBS to not be involved in this at all. Either way, I don't expect to see the ante get upped.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Phrosphor posted:

https://www.unitedstatescourts.org/federal/wawd/242820/32-0.html

PGI and HBS released a joint statement to the court. It's a good read. Start on Page 2 at the Statement of the Defence.

Their take on this seems to be similar to what my gut reaction is. Especially by trying to include very dissimilar designs like the Atlas as part of their case, HG is essentially claiming that it owns all robot stuff; hopefully, their overreach gets them badly burned in this suit. Not just for the sake of Battletech as a property, but given how litigious HG is, it seems likely that they would start going after other makers of mech stuff if a 400-year-old Reagan judge agrees "Yeah you pretty much just own the idea of giant robots."

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Given the size of undertaking that this project represents I wouldn't be surprised to see another bump from early 2018 to mid-year. Especially given that the game went from crowdfunded-only to crowdfunded-with-publisher, HBS should have the funding to work on the game a little longer instead of pushing it out the door when they money is gone. Either way, I have faith.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

And they'd have more than a C-Bill's worth of assets for sure.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's pretty goddamn great, you should check it out. No need to have played the first, but DOS1 is pretty loving great too. If you like squad-based overhead turn based tactical games (and I assume you do because you're in this thread) then the Divinity Original Sin games are very worth checking out.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

If you hunt 8000 tons of Atlas will you still be able to bring all the meat back even if your dropship is only being pulled by 2 oxen?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Looking forward to see what you do with lunar terrain, that's a challenge in almost any game setting.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Ardlen posted:

The last Q&A actually answers that question. Depending on your location and how far along in the game you are, different difficulty rating missions will be available. However, the meaning of a difficulty rating won't change as the game goes on, so a difficulty 1 mission will always be something like some vehicles and a couple of easy 'Mechs.

Just some little vehicles, should be no problem.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I have to admit I love that both of the FASA properties I know well, Shadowrun & Battletech, are rife with people who will screw you in the contract if they think they can reasonably get away with it. This is 100% a staple of every game I run now, and it makes the players super paranoid.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Alchenar posted:

"Have you encountered the mercenary gang hanging out in the bar at the edge of town? I tell you, those goons are up to something awful!"

"I heard they come from some far country."

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Well duh, that's why he wants it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Buttflesh expansion pack when?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Fffffuck, now you're just making me want Brigador in a Battletech setting.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That GIF is magical; I just keep watching it.

Do you think HBS has programmed the units to pathfind through the largest number of destructible objects possible on their way their destinations?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Also most of the weapons are gimbaled so you could have some degree of arm movement while letting the actual weapon mounts in the arms still track.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Q_res posted:

What's truly infuriating about this is that the concept art for the PGI Centurion is perfect. Then they modeled it and turned it into this squat, wide thing. If they'd just modeled the concept art I think most people would love the reimagined Cent.

Yeah, this is what I was gonna say. Have a look at this bad boy, it's pretty sexy:

Someone hosed up severely to get what we have currently in the game there.

Also I am super on board with making custom campaigns for MW5. I have quite a bit of Unreal 4 level design experience, so... we can fix whatever PGI fucks up, as long as the art assets are good. Mod tools are confirmed for the game, so we can just fix the problems ourselves. It's nice when you don't have to do this, like HBS I have faith in not to gently caress it up, but it's comforting to know that if it does happen, we can fix it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Brigador is the unofficial Mechwarrior 5 game that I had been waiting over 15 years for.

Totally going to shill for Brigador ITT, I picked it up about a month ago and have already put like 80 hours into it. The thread is great and you should check it out. Not gonna lie, it's very much not Mechwarrior, but the way the game is written and made scratches the same itch in a lot of ways, and it has that 80s cool thing about it just like Battletech. If you're the kinda nerd who reads the HBS Battletech thread because you're a goon who fancies himself to be a connoisseur of fine games, do yourself a favor and check Brigador out while you're waiting for Battletech to finish cooking.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

How is the average quality of writing in the Battletech books compared to the Shadowrun stuff? I mean, the Shadowrun novels aren't exactly high literature but they're quite a bit of fun, and most of them are decent enough at least to be interesting. I know that there is some crossover between authors, which is promising.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Well here's to hoping it does well and all this stuff makes it in for Battletech: Dragonfall.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Q_res posted:

DLGamer has Battletech up at 15% off for anyone on the fence

https://www.dlgamer.com/us/games/buy-battletech-46245

Even at 15% off, it's still 3USD more expensive than just buying it through Steam.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

RabidWeasel posted:

My biggest issue with ironman in any game isn't that I can't accept losses but that crashes, bugs and misclicks happen and I am not OK with those causing poo poo to go wrong.

It's also super frustrating on most first-plays of a game; when I want to test something out that the game's rules don't explicitly spell out. "Does throwing a grenade here in XCOM make the ceiling collapse? Do two tons of falling concrete hurt a muton?" If you have ironman on, there's no way you're going to risk throwing that grenade, because if you do, one of your mans will probably die for no reason if you don't do the boring thing and set up your squad to pin & overwatch. With ironman off, you're free to, you know, play around. You can experiment with weird things that might or might not work in the game and see what comes of it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

NOOO YOU HAVE A PERFECTLY GOOD LEFT FIST WHY WOULD YOU PUNCH HIM WITH THE PPC AAAGH

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

sebmojo posted:

Phrosphor is doing a kickass lp, using a hacked beta and MekHQ for the campaign side.

Only about 2/3rds the way caught up but this LP is :krad: and you should all go hop in. As an added bonus if you're like me and you're deliberately not watching the official media because you want to go in mostly unsullied, Phrosphor's story is totally his own thing, he's just using the HBS beta to resolve the battles.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

RabidWeasel posted:

I'd probably be down for a reinforced lance of 5 mechs

CLANNER SPOTTED

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Right, which is why I call out Section Z for always complaining about it and bringing it up in this thread. Its a part of the difficulty. If the AI played as well as I did then I would complain, too. Until it can and does, I accept that there must be concessions to making the game a challenge even if it is a bit much at times.

I'm not sure I'd want an AI that plays as well as I do. Thing is, the core of every heroic epic ever told pits a small group of people against unwinnable odds, and they succeed or at least struggle valiantly by using their lesser resources more intelligently. That kind of story has been told over and over and over a million different ways in almost every recorded civilization because it appeals very much to the human mind. Having a lesser AI with more resources in a game emergently tells this kind of narrative, because the player does have to be better than the AI because the AI just has more resources at its disposal. There are games that can tip this the other way, but broadly speaking it's drat near impossible to make an intelligent reactive AI in video games currently, but that's okay because a lesser AI suits just as well most of the time.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Narsham posted:

As I've said before elsewhere, I think that good game AI, at least on a macro-level, should act more like a gamemaster that wants the player or players to have fun than like an adversary. If a GM needs twenty more goons with laser swords to show up or really needs that bad guy who's beating everyone up to fail his next saving throw, that can happen. The challenge is figuring out the balance between an enjoyable but still difficult game and an easy one or frustrating one, especially as different players and play-styles lead to very different AI solution needs.

Oh, absolutely, I run pen and paper style RPGs on a weekly basis, that would be super ideal; but it also sounds nearly impossible. A LOT of preparation and planning goes into good GMing as I'm sure you know, but then so too does tons and tons of improvisation. That first part is easy, the second part is so tough it's rarely even attempted fully in video games.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

sebmojo posted:

more like bad friday :(:(:(

Every day that this game does not come out is a bad day.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I just finished my first replay of Shadowrun: Dragonfall and I'm completely blown away by how short the credits are. It took like a minute to read every name. Unbelievable what great stuff HBS does with so few people; I'd guess that they've expanded since then, but who knows?

It's really refreshing though. I always sit through the credits after I finish a game, it's a good time to turn the game over in my head and learn who's making cool stuff. But man, some of the games I have played recently have had credits that rolled for over a half hour. I love seeing that you can still make great games without a staff of 2000 people plus a studio with offices in every continent backing you.

SirFozzie posted:

Harmony Gold basically is trying to claim that no matter what HBS does, it will still look like "their stuff". So, basically copyrighting all giant robits.

Further evidenced by the fact that in its latest suit, HG claims ownership of the Atlas and a bunch of other designs that have always been Battletech-specific, and explicitly thereafter spells out that they believe any humanoid war machine design falls under their copyrights. I assume that this is just posturing so that when a judge meets at some fictitious "middle ground" they still get exactly what they wanted. Or who knows, maybe they really are crazy, and the only reason they haven't gone after Pacific Rim is because they don't have the megalawyers they'd need for that.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I think Zaodai was on to something: we need to organize a Shadowrun, but instead the objective will be to steal back all of FASA's IPs and deliver them to HBS.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It'd be pretty delightful if HBS' Battletech winds up pulling a reversal of Mechwarrior 2- instead of removing the unseen in the sequel/expansion for copyright reasons, they get added in because now the rights issue is finally loving settled.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Note that this game is pretty moddable and the MWO models are kind of out there. HG or no I’d be shocked if someone didn’t add the marauder war hammer Phoenix hawk etc via a mod before too long.

I think adding the models and the mechs would be fine and easy, but as always, the issue is making sure they're integrated seamlessly into the game. Making sure that random AI assignments weight them properly, or that enemy AIs who are part of pre-set missions are balanced around having these mechs around. Not to mention making sure they have custom animations where they're needed. It'd also take a brave modder, since presumably HG would be willing to pursue that person in court.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Bit surprised only two Hunchback variants made it in. Also, I feel like the game desperately needs more lights, so hopefully the Flea and Javelin finds their way in at some point.

Most mechs only get a single variant or two though, I'm guessing that it was an intentional choice to keep variant numbers down so that it wouldn't be as hard for the player to know what an enemy mech is going to have just looking at it. Then, presumably, the variants are also set up with hardpoints so if the player reaaaaallly wants a HBK-4H they can turn their 4G into one.

Light roster looks a bit thin to me as well though, especially since traditionally a lot of your enemy lances are going to have lights. It'd be nice to see the player able to get a hold of one of the 3024 prototype Ravens, for example, perhaps via salvage.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Back Hack posted:

I like the changes they've made to Autocannons, they feel much more balanced and distinct from one another. If only the TT would take a que from them or god forbid, :pgi:.

Honestly I would love to see a completely modern edition of Battletech (and especially Shadowrun!) that take direction hints from how HBS have been redesigning the systems. Both of those are games I'd love to run with my nerd games group, but both are a bit byzantine by modern game rule standards. They have such cool loving lore and settings though, I just wanna run these games and not have my friends get repulsed by the very dated rulebooks. Something like D&D 5e for Battletech would be great, where you keep most of the complexity but streamline the systems a ton, and the computer games HBS have made would be a good stepping-off point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Ok blue ball thread. Recommend me a good turned based game I haven't played yet.

Plus for shooty over swordy.

What the hell, thread. Why has it taken this long for someone to recommend any of the recent HBS Shadowrun games? Shadrowrun returns is pretty alright, and Dragonfall and Hong Kong are masterpieces.