Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Fat Samurai posted:

Nice, I have been following this on and off for a while, no idea the Beta was so close.

Did they explain how are they going to avoid the "all heavies, all the time" problem? Tonnage limits? Gotta go fast missions? Credit crunch?

Credit crunch. Also, better balancing - for example, ability to play support by using "sensor lock" to spot for the rest of your lance (AKA - Raven and Catapult).

Unrelated - does the new turn system reminds anyone of Heroes of might and magic, or it is just me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Because I had not done enough futile arguing today...
Four to six person squad has been around in gaming since, at least, Dungeons and Dragons. In military aviation, the finger-four formation has been around since before WW2.
It has been used in...how many role playing games? I'm not sure, but I think the number is "yes".
Because, when you want that every one of your units "have a name", sort to speak, it is well established that 4-6 units in a squad is fine - enough people to get tactical, but still keep them unique and manageable.
Not broken, don't fix - and not every game need to be revolutionary, y'know?

Besides- while I suck at Xcom, and the mere idea of running battletech give my potato nightmares...From what little I have seen, the "tactical crux" of both games are way different (Admittedly, more of a gut-feel then "here's how" - after all, I ain't expert - just average player)

And even if they weren't, the strategical one will; Managing a mercenary force living from paycheck to paycheck, maneuvering between both sides of the war, is not X-com's, where there is your side and their side, and your goals are pleasing your funding nations, and keeping up with the arms race.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I don't know how you don't put the guy with Bulwark in your slowest mech, or the one that likes to stand still. I don't know why you don't put Evasive Pilot on your assault, er, mech that needs to scout and draw fire. Sensor lock is a big deal. That kind of stuff just feels like obvious choices that reduce your decision making without adding much to the combat.

...Having your lights "play raven" reduce your decision making, not adding much? Despite "spotter for LRMS" is one of the light 'Mech classic rules, along with "very fast" and "cheap cannon fodder"?

I'm not sure I'm getting you.

Cyrano4747 posted:

In TT this initiative loving was mitigated by different initiative rules. You could roll per team or per mech. Obviously per mech made it clunky as gently caress so everyone did it per team

It's still the whims of the dice. The new system gives us a meaningful choice, and I think will serve this game better.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

SirFozzie posted:

MECHS
Black Knight BL-6-KNT
A surprise, lostech mech. nice.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Skoll posted:

Three if you count the Highlander and King Crab. I think there were only 5 left in the IS by the Third Succession War.

And kintaro.
But what I meant - the black knight isn't on the confirmed mech list. Hence the "surprise".
Also, it is a lostech variant, not SW downgrade. Got endo-steel, BAP, more armour, and better equipment models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

sebmojo posted:

XCom 2: Shadows of Hamn

I read it as "haman", and thought for a sec "what purim is doing here?"