Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The game finally downloaded and I played through the tutorial mission with a guy getting his arm blown off.

I feel like I'm going to suffer heavy casualties in this game. I watched a bit of the LP and dekker is apparently difficult to keep alive so expecting him to die on this first mining mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

So I did the mining mission and glitch got injured. Now I'm assaulted by options but I'm going to try following this:

girl dick energy posted:

Until you learn enough to get into minutia, have some slightly oversimplified rules of thumb:
- Default builds tend to have a smattering of weapons at a variety of ranges. The tweaked mechanics of the HBS game make this strategy dumb and bad. Keep the weapons that have overlapping optimal ranges, strip out the others for more armor, jump jets, heat sinks, more weapons at the overlapping optimal range, etc.
- Always max out front L/R torso armor, keep front center torso, and limb armor at least at 75%, back armor at ~50%.
- Ammo in the legs. Always. Aim for having enough for ~10-12 volleys.
- Have at least three to four jump jets on everything. They're a great way to get in or out of a tough spot, get a bunch of evasion pips while still being able to shoot, jump from cover to cover, get behind enemy mechs to shoot them in the rear end, etc. etc. Once you get better, they're not as necessary, but as a new player, they're a great get-out-of-oh-poo poo-free card.
- Aim for Heat Efficiency at about halfway. Higher, and you're wasting potential lethality. Lower, and you're risking overheating, especially in hot environments.
- The best weights for mechs are the ones just below the threshold to the next weight class: 35, 55, and 75.
- Medium Lasers are loving amazing, PPCs are awful.

TL;DR: Up-armor everything. Focus on weapons that work well together. Ammo in the legs. Jump jets good, medium lasers good.

Edit: Stick to 1-2 day tweaks at first, and save the big several-day/week-long overhauls for when you're about to travel between planets

Selling the PPC (it was super weak against the turrets) probably. I was surprised at engagement distances being so long range. I'm guessing I should load decker with armour to punch stuff and have others further back firing in?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

sean10mm posted:

More generally, in BT you always take damage at some point, the goal is reducing it and spreading it around - as many sections of each mech as possible, and ideally across all 4 mechs in your lance (unless one of them is a Spider.)

For every pilot rush the Bulwark ability (unlock at Guts 5), new players should basically never take any ability before Bulwark on any pilot. a) Get guts up to 5 b) take Bulwark c) profit blow up less often.

Once in combat you should always be in cover if at all possible, and if not you should be moving as far as possible on each turn to build as many evasion points as possible. Ideally you want to be at higher elevation on top of that, but the first two are more critical.

Like in a vacuum, the ideal move for survivability is to make the longest possible jump on a mech with max jump jets onto high ground full of trees.

The hardest lesson for me to learn as a beginner was to have a mech RUN AWAY if it is getting ganged up on by the AI. Sprint or jump out of line of sight and let your other mechs get shot at a while.

On offense, you almost always want to concentrate your fire. Have all your mechs gang up on 1 enemy at a time. Side and especially back shots innately concentrate your fire on the individual mech because your shots are spread around a smaller number of sections, and of course rear armor is much thinner. Later in the game when you have pilots with Tactics 9+ you can reliably get headshot kills with called shots, but by then you won't need to read beginner tips :v:

Target priority is basically a balance of how easy they are to kill vs. how much firepower they have, because the overall goal is to move the balance of firepower in your favor as fast as possible. Vehicles like the LRM and SRM carriers die instantly but have insane firepower. Demolisher tanks are a bit tougher, but weaker than almost any mech and carry 2xAC/20 that can gently caress up an assault mech. Schreck PPC (and especially SPPC from the DLC!) carriers are a pain in the rear end too. With mechs it's a bit more of a gray area but when in doubt, kill whatever has an AC/20 (or two!) first.

I figured out that posting up on a hill and standing still was pretty bad, but it was with the bulwark pilot so it wasn't too bad. I got spooked with only 2 skills being able to go to 5, but I'll move towards bulwark for survivability then. Have to figure out how to effectively move around and know my ranges so I'm moving to decent positions for firing as I was messing that up a LOT in the first mission
Glitch got hosed up by all the turrets so I had her run but they kept shooting her. at least she survived

LRMs did seem really weak, but i only had the starter mechs. Is artillery boat an option in this game?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Tiny Chalupa posted:

As a quick note, if playing on career/you get to Flashpoints, you will want someone with Sensor Lock as well.
I never used the ability during the campaign honestly, and tend to typically reserve all my pilots actions unless fishing for headshots, but after the Raven Flashpoint mission you will want it

Don't know what this means. I'm going to try and get glitch better gunnery skills. Is it worth giving her tactics/gunnery to go above 5 or is it better for behemoth? I figure one can hang back and try and L laser some heads or something if that's possible

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

After a few missions I think I'm going to try and make glitch a sniper of sorts to try and shoot heads/cts from distance and have behemoth be a mid-range boat, with the PC as the same. Dekker can just... be whatever the first new mech I get is.

It's hard to load a mrch up with weapons because of armour penalty. I think they're able to carry a lot fewer weapons than I think. The low tonnage of Mlasers and heat sinks makes me want to make laser boats but they seem pretty weak overall.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

That's a lot of acronyms. I just rescued the big old ship for kamea and now I have like a million c-bills. Exciting!

Locusts are death for pilots right? I think that's what was said in the LP.
Is it worth trying to level up my spare pilot or hiring new people or is it better to focus on the 4 starting ones?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

These are really cool ideas and I like the idea of mech scarcity and pilots becoming accustomed to their mech.

I'd also go broke super fast because after 4 missions I've already had pilots get injured twice and blew one of my own mech's arms off because I didn't understand heat and fired too many lasers with it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

How does the mercenary review board fit into the universe? Are they a plc or LLC or something?

Say two houses are going to war and one puts up an assassination job, the other house knows about that right? And everyone is cool with this, the board puts the job up and everyone nods and goes "hmmm, we'll have to watch out for that one."

Guess it explains why the targets are in mechs instead of chilling in their house eating dinner.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

If I blow up a lgg so I have to blow up the other one or does the mech still get up?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Ok last dumb question for the night, if I want to build a head shooter for salvage is it better to go for gunnery or tactics? 5 guts for survivability because I'm new, then up the called shot chance with tactics?

I'm thinking glitch can get in this centurion I just got and spray missiles everywhere while behemoth chills out in the vindicator and tries to shoot faces.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Ok never mind. I salvaged a full thunderbolt from a mission to train 3 urban mechs. It's biiiiiiig

And a tile is what, like 30m?

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 6, 2021

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Amechwarrior posted:

You mean the movement dot locations? They have 24m spacing in a hex based array. The TT map sheets are 30m hexes for comparison.

20 tiles away as an optimal range???

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Amechwarrior posted:

I'm not sure what you mean? Optimal range would be a weapon specific thing. I'm talking about the dots you can move your units too. The white dots below are spaced 24m apart.

https://giant.gfycat.com/LoneHeavenlyDrafthorse.mp4

Ah, like trying to stay 20 tiles away from the enemy for optimal range of 480m. I guess I send other mechs forward to spot while this thing snipes away?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

GD_American posted:

. A heat neutral Mech is wasting tonnage. You want a Mech that will run slightly hot; but have enough cooling to go full ham for 2-3 turns (at the very least) of firing and moving before hitting the danger zone.

Best weapons depend on what mod you're playing. Medium Lasers are noice. UAC/5s are deadly. Large Laser +++ is the God Weapon.

I'm struggling with heat after two full salvos my mech basically has to take a turn punching to cool off. Mechs vent 30 heat per turn naturally? Should I be aiming for alpha strike heat gen to be like 5 above the sink?

How much heat does jumping generate?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I'm guessing running a lance without light mechs is a bad idea? I've got 5 mediums and a heavy in my bay and now have the second kamea contract available.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Lol, slamming am ac20 and mlaser on a medium mech is great. Every round is running away because there's very little tonnage left

edit: my campaign might be over. Every time I try to start the liberate: smithon mission it goes to the dropship screen for about 3 seconds then crashes the game. Loaded an old save and did a different mission with the same loadout and it worked fine. Had it crash a few times now and don't know how to fix it

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 10, 2021

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Carcer posted:

Did you try validating game files?

e: Goddam every second mech is a command battlemech.

Ah that worked. Took me a while to figure out how to do it via gog

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Any good advice for survivability? I've got jump jets and try to keep my mechs moving but my thunderbolt is getting their armor shredded on the regular and my shadow hawk often loses an arm. Maybe I'm committing to forward positions too much?

This destroy the dropship then fight a heavy lance mission is kicking my rear end

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

sassassin posted:

Are you putting as much armour as possible on your frontline mechs? The default amounts can be pretty low on some of these heavies.

Spreading out the damage can be important. Don't be afraid to put something fragile in harms way for a short spell to take fire off the big boys.

Aiming for enemy weapons can reduce damage taken massively. The centurion on that map only has one decent gun on its right arm iirc.

But sometimes you're going to lose an arm or two. Make the mechtechs earn their year end bonus.

Yeah, I've been stripping firepower to bulk them up. I think it's alright now, plowed through a few more story missions and have an assault mech. They're ridiculous :stonk:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Organ Fiend posted:

The assaults you get from story mode are more powerful than the assaults you can salvage. They're star-league designs so they have more available tonnage and have greater innate cooling capacity.

If you have the DLC, you get one assault from the Heavy Metal campaign flashpoint with similar characteristics. Getting this mech also adds a lower tech (but still with greater base tonnage) version to the enemy tables and is totally worth salvaging. The DLC also adds the Annihilator, which is the best mech in the game.

The highlander is nuts. I haven't found any flashpoints yet, but I'm well into the campaign I think. Did the smithon mission to protect dropships

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I'll give that a try after I finish the campaign. Having fun melting things with a lance catapult, highlander, thunderbolt and marauder. Found a snub PPC with -10 heat in the black market and I'm excited to try that on the thunderbolt

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The pips on the mech bay screen are normal movement distance? The marauder seems to have very little mobility and outside of cutting weapons to jam jump jets on it I'm not sure how to speed it up.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Yeah the story mission assault is a beast. Slow moving but it hits super hard. Had a moment of worry on a mission where they blew the armor off the torso and I was worried I'd lose the crazy rifle it has. The black market has some crazy weapons too. Want to load up my catapult with +stb weapons

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I know it'd completely wreck the game balance but it'd be nice to drop two lances into missions that offer up 6/35 max salvage. I can't carry enough ammo!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Organ Fiend posted:

How much ammo are you carrying?

4 sets of LRM20 ammo to feed 2 LRM20s

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Yeah I hated that mission.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Are UACs strictly better? I've got a UAC10 that's like -1.5 tons but lack an assault with the means to carry it, and I think the marauder is better off with an AC20 +acc

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Ah I've had some LBX shot at me, but haven't gotten any myself. Are they good? Same with like snub PPC, they seem like they should be good but didn't feel that good in combat.

It's a shame they're so heavy because you can get like 5 Mlasers for one AC, but i'd love to load up a heavy with a bunch of UAC5s or something and go to town with stability damage.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Organ Fiend posted:

Generally yes.

Just keep in mind that it's not a straight trade to switch a AC with its ultra variety. UACs require a lot more investment than ACs, and I'm not just yapping about the base tonnage. You need more heatsinks and 2x the ammo. Recoil (especially on the 10s and 20s) means you'll also need a TTS.

If you're not firing that UAC almost every turn because you're running hot, can't hit because of recoil, or are running out of ammo, then you're not using the UAC to its full potential and would probably be better off with a standard AC.

Is the TTS the targetting thing that gives +ACC to energy or ballistic? I think I saw one once on the black market. Need to find it again.

I struggle finding good loadouts that can hold a 13 ton ballistic weapon + ammo and still have decent other weapons and armor.

vyelkin posted:

I think pound for pound the best mech you can make in the base game (except Marauder headchoppers of course) is an SLDF Warhammer with three +damage snub PPCs and enough exchangers to shoot them every turn. It's nearly 500 damage every turn (more if you add an extra laser into a spare ton or two) with no ammo or heat limitations. Even with the snubbies spreading damage out, it just wrecks anything you point it at.

I don't know if I've seen warhammer parts. I'm trying to scrape together annihilator salvage to try off the black market. The Zeus is okay but not great.

My current lance is normally the fancy story highlander, LRM catapult, ac20 marauder and a thunderbolt or zeus to soak up damage. The alpha strike of the zeus/THB are only like 215 or something.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The Pirates want an alliance. This seems like a real bad idea

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Didn't realize I had millions in mechs sitting in storage so I took reduced salvage for a mission because I needed some cash. Immediately headshotted an annihilator and am now at 2/3 parts :(

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Is there a way to make the taurians not hate me once we're not at war in the campaign? I went to some taurian planets but they hate me too much to give me a job. I heard the new vandenberg store has some good tech but at -100 they won't sell to me

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Organ Fiend posted:

The other thing people often complain about is pilot fatigue. Basically, after dropping, the pilot needs a certain number of days to rest before dropping again, or else they get low spirits. You can drop with fatigued pilots and the low spirits usually go away before the next planet. When your pilots have higher guts and you have more pilots, it becomes a non factor. I still have this activated, but if you want to turn it off, it's a sub mod that can be toggled off in the in-game mod menu.

This is an interesting one because in the base game you can do like 5 missions on the same in game day if you want. It's weird that a mission doesn't advance the game even by a day

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

hemale in pain posted:

I've been playing the game for like two weeks now and it's great but vanilla with no DLC every mission is more or less a battle. The evac zones are always in the dumbest place and all the enemies will aggro on you anyways so it's way easier to just melt everything instead of doing objectives. I'm sure this has been covered a million times since 2018 so I apologise for my incredibly late hot takes on the game.

I've had like one mission where the evac was away from the reinforcements so I took it. One of them the evac was in the middle of a lake when the opfor was moving towards me on the shoreline :psyduck:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Someone gets shot in the head like every other mission anyway. My team is always on the IR

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I don't know if two UAC20s on an annihilator is the most efficient way to kill things but it sure is fun

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

crepeface posted:

by bottom-left menu, do you mean when you're in the "equip mech" screen? it's greyed out for me.

In the bottom right of the argo screen there's a button you can click. Can't take a screenshot, but it's just above where the orbit-transit-jumpship thing is during transit.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

apparently bulwark + the gunnery skills is bad??? I have it on nearly all my pilots.

Is the archer the best late game LRM boat? I've been running an archer with two +1 damage LRM20s, but it's well outpaced by the 2 UAC/20 annihilator and the two LBX20 annihilator. is it generally better to stick the heaviest guns you can on a mech?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I should probably be multi targetting but coring out an assault with a called CT shot with 2x 144x2 damage is too fun. Also I tend to blow off arms when I multi target instead of getting kills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Maybe 10 deployments into a career I wanted to see how badly a base defense against assault mechs would go. Take out the vanguard and 2 assaults spawn, I figure I'll run my punchmech vulcan around one to distract it.

The vulcan one shotted the head and now I have a victor sitting in the mechbay.