Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Thry should let you have reserves so you can only have 4 mechs onscreen at a time but you can switch then for new ones from offscreen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

LeSquide posted:

:thunk:

So I love this idea, but I think it might run into the abstraction problem; would people be OK with mechs on the battlefield just disappearing and new ones hotdropping in? While the latter is just Wicked Rad, the former is going to be kinda jarring, but if it involves running the mech out of combat/to the edge of the map it'd be such a pain in the rear end it'd rarely get used.

Usually the map edges are pretty close and also making you run a certain distance to get out would create another reason to take more fast, light mechs since their speed would make them easier to get in/out of reserves

JK Fresco fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 20, 2019

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
I haven't played video gsmes in like 8 months but this might get me to start again

Going to do what I always did in Mechwarrior and load up on LBX and make thr biggest shotgun mech possible

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
If they let you bring more thsn 4 mechs and tag them in/out though...

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Letting you switch out mechs by walking to a deployment zone or map edge would also buff fast mechs since their mobility would make it easier to switch them out

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Along with making the range brackets chsnge to-hit a bit, they should also change damage. This way people who gwt annoyed at shooting for multiple roinds and mever hitting anything could be satisfied but ranges would matter again.

Also it could help balance lasers a bit

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
They really should just put in engine crits, etc., Into vanilla. The tabletop style ones

Also through-armor criticals :getin:

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Klyith posted:

My friend who played original TT back in the day has told me that tanks were very good and would beat mechs, if you were ok being the guy who brought 40 tanks to the table.

As for in-universe, I figure it's just an accurate projection of what the military-industrial complex will look like after another 500 years.
"I don't get it."
"What?"
"That."
"It's the Mackie."
"Well, if that's the Mackie, then what's this?"
"What's the date?"
"2368."
"The question is, how did they get to that..." *points to picture of robot with legs*
"from this?" *holds up picture of normal tank*

I think the idea behind mechs is that they have fusion engines which are light and provide huge amounts of energy for pretty much free but require a large amount of volume and cannot be further miniaturized. So they're too bulky to actually fit in a tracked or wheeled platform with a reasonable width. Thus, legs.

So tanks are cheaper but have more limited strategic mobility since they need to be transported around by trains or by air, whereas mechs can run from place to place? Or something?

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
It's time for a mp goon tourney to see who can play and who can't

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Arglebargle III posted:

Is there such a thing as a Reasonablemech that's just the biggest gun the chassis can carry, and everything else is armor, engine, and electronic warface systems?

Isn't that thr Hunchback

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Imo they should make range brackets matter more so that you get more maneuver and less straight brawling as the only viable strategy. Maybe make it so damage drops outside the ideal range (so that it's just not constant misses all the time). This might help the default load outs not be as bad too