Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The mech sky is falling!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Iirc it's even dumber and more convoluted than that.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I always considered the myomers to be part of the engine tonnage. The more power also means stronger myomers, which contributed to the diminishing return of engine power versus weight.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Got my key...

...and am stuck at work until late due to month end close. :emo:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I got the AI to commit to a punchbrawl in a small forest. The final mech standing was my overheated catapult with 6 of the 7 dead mechs within three hexes of it.

Anyone who says this isn't battletech doesn't know what fun battletech is.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That heat thing doesn't seem to be quite right unless there's some heat dissipation when you do fire.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Are they trying to get their entire squad wiped?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The reseen Warhammer works pretty well as a mini.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Our house rule for CT cored mechs was that the overkill damage became a skill modifier in addition to the usual ones.

Did once result in a +27 check being made because of exploding 10's. :getin:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Skoll posted:

Nah, the Battletech ultra grogs are salty and can't tell a joke when it comes to their precious IP on these forums.

It's always amazing how every single wannabe troll is also an empath.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Captain Foo posted:

have you ever attempted to actually do one of these

it sucksssss

It's a lot more tolerable when you've got more vehicles than mechs.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

PoptartsNinja posted:

Split the difference, have it be something different for every backstory choice with the same mechanical benefit.

Fury for the Free Worlder, Inspiration for the Davion, Noblesse Oblige Payday for the Steiner, Focus for the Kuritan, Loyalty for the Liao. :v:

Mary Sue for certain mercenary commands.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Maybe not a c-bill specifically but they will have it's equivalent many times over.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Skoll posted:

It's better than XCOM, imo. It's an actual turn based RPG that's co op.

So it's XCOM 2

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Psion posted:

Mechwarrior, collect that lostech crate in 3 turns before Comstar destroys it!

At least that would be thematically appropriate.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I know that when I've run games there's been more than a few times when pirates just happened to strike the planet in greater than usual numbers shortly after a LosTech cache was found. Trying to steal it for themselves of course :ninja:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

He means in the sense that a weapon is either Short Ranged, Medium Ranged, or Long Ranged (and with a 'cannot fire' minimum range), and those brackets are the same for all weapons of said range type.

Short ranged weapons shoot out to 5.
Medium ranged weapons shoot out to 10
Long ranged weapons shoot out to 15, but can't shoot under 4

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Cyrano4747 posted:

That does nothing to stop save scumming, it just forces save scummers to restart the mission.

I played Mission 3 in Mechcommander far more than any other mission in that game.

That Mad Cat WILL BE MINE

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

One of the first mods I ever installed in a game was one that let you start with the Mad Cat from the opening video sequence in your hangar.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Some people just want to watch a thread burn.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

What was goal #3, hmmmmm?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

This rings a lot of "Why won't the devs cater to ME, the only gamer who matters?" :argh:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Zaodai posted:

One would assume, fluff-wise, it's more for balance than momentum.

The barrels can stay mostly aligned while the rest of the arms move, but I would imagine that would be a far more challenging thing to code and model.

Arms moving while walking looks more natural than arms staying still, especially at speed.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Cyrano4747 posted:

Plus, you know, fantasy space robots.

gently caress, on the TT somehow you had mechs shooting lasers at each other across open terrain while each one was moving less than 100kph and you could still have a 50/50 chance to hit at literally dozens of meters. ENORMOUS amounts of fluff went into explaining why, exactly, fusion powered walking murder robots had worse targeting computers than 70s era cold war tanks.

That's not even getting into all the various missiles which were supposedly guided yet could miss entirely at ranges WELL under a kilometer and even if they hit like half of a given barrage could be reasonably expected to just slam into dirt rather than hitting the enemy. I'm pretty sure loving katayushas had better accuracy than that.

Something something heat something something gyros something neural interface something new dark ages something decline of tech something *handwave*

edit: BT is seriously right up there with star wars in the tech falling the gently caress apart if you look at it even slightly critically.

I've always interpreted the short ranges and inaccuracies as being the result of two main things fluff wise (gameplay convenience being the real reason):

1) A wide array of ECM and other defensive measures to mess with the targeting computers and other sensors.

2) The nature of the armor requiring precise hits or most of the energy/impact is wasted. Most "misses" just ineffectually glance off or do no real significant damage.

Zaodai posted:

I meant actual physical balance while moving around not "it makes your guns miss more while moving" balance, if that's what you're talking about? I can't get your post to parse correctly in my head, which is probably just me being slow.

I like the arms moving while mechs walk. I was already saying in discord I'm going to be sad to see flappy bird Stalker go, as it makes the mech look less retarded to me.

Yes, I meant physical balance, not gameplay for that.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Then he clearly has the time.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Errata are LosTech.

Though more seriously it's not at all that uncommon in many PnP games, especially back in the 80s and 90s.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That combined with double heat sinks. The 1:1 trade of heat and damage at that range is absurd. Even the Clan ER Large Laser generates more heat than damage.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Quick thought on DHS:

The 'free' heatsinks are always singles and are purely dependent upon engine tonnage. You can buy DHS beyond that, but it means that a 400 rating engine has 16 regulars before you start adding in DHS.

I also agree with PTN and others than Clan stuff should have been more like the heavy lasers. Harder hitting but short in the tooth. Goes very well with their dueling style but are fairly poorly suited for sustained warfare.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

There aren't many lights that are starved for crit space.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Eh, FF + Endo + XL is 34 crits consumed which is quite a lot out of the (assuming hands still fitted) 47 free slots of any mech, but unless you're going pretty bulky (or have FF/Endo/XL with a small engine) you're still more likely to run out of tonnage instead of crits on most designs.

Also IMO Inner Sphere FF is a waste.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I think I only put it on an IS design if I've got the crit space. It's probably the lowest priority for any design.

All vehicles get it though because lol vehicle space.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

We used the Stackpole rule with ammo explosions and not reactor explosions.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Clan stuff being different instead of just better would be good.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Cyrano4747 posted:

Clan stuff being flat out better isn't really that horrible a problem as long as you structure the game right. It's an interesting challenge when the players are riding around in a mix of 3025 and new-hottness 3040 era stuff and need to deal with no bullshit omnis. It's also an interesting challenge when it's a small group of clan mechs having to try to figure out how to take down individually inferior but numerically superior IS mechs. Unfortunately that works directly against TT's strengths, since the whole system is built to handle small unit fights. You can kind of fake it with tonnage (IS heavies vs. clan mediums for example) but even that doesn't really work unless you take it to extremes.

Of course this is depending on players understanding that it's not balanced and agreeing to work with the GM to make a fun game. Where it just falls the gently caress all apart is when you've got one or two players who insist on min-maxing the gently caress out of everything and either roll up the most munchkin mary sue bullshit ever or insist on hoovering up every last scrap of clan tech in salvage, to the point where after 3 fights their 3025 tech SHD-2H is basically a funny looking Linebacker.

As opponents for the players then yeah, certainly. They make good 'boss' challenges, especially if you limit the availability of their equipment as salvage.

But for general gameplay then you get the worst part of any TT game involved, those players that are WIN AT ANY COST (why don't I have any friends?)

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The first battle we used that rule in had a Victor getting a TAC on a Battlemaster and blowing up its ammo, then the resultant ammo explosion rolled boxcars three times and popped the Victor's head.

Cyrano4747 posted:

YUUUUUUP. God we had one of those in my group who we coudln't just loving kick out due to middle school politics involving friends, friends parents, etc.

Jesus loving christ, his munchkin half elemental mary sue :stare:

When I run games (usually around 3000 AD) I have a tendency to let the players get a handful of LosTech and then make them try to keep it running for as long as possible.

I think the max has been 10 years.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I think Jihad is where FASA lost most of us. Notice how the TT franchise kind of died after that.

When it was happening it very much felt like they were making GBS threads all over the TT to push out the clicktech stuff and tried to retroactively justify it. All of the WoB goes from being an annoying and dangerous nuisance to MILLIONS OF TROOPS AND WARSHIPS EVERYWHERE SUDDENLY made the initial clan invasion look good in comparison.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Comstar at least had centuries of 'Oh yeah, the factories on Terra weren't as badly damaged as we claimed'.

WoB went from being 'splinter faction' to 'Strongest individual Inner Sphere power with crazy new tech' in just over a decade.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

If they do remake them they need to reproduce in the pause bug for collision damage.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Just do the 3rd Succession War. Lots of low-intensity combats, most of the warfare restrictions are in place, and very few fights are anything close to big unit smash ups.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

My first BT book was Sword and Dagger that I found in a used book store. Lost it during a move a number of years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Zaodai posted:

But not as bad as an AC2! The AC20 was the "good" autocannon of the vanilla types, especially when it was the only headcapper. The AC10 was at least acceptable, I think? And then the 5 and the 2 were actual wastes of space.

The AC/2s are only really useful in number and on large enough battlefields that the range advantage of them (24) would let them get in some hits and do some headshot/crit seeking before the battle was joined in earnest.

Though admittedly they always have a place in my games after a Pike took out a catapult the opening turn of a battle when the pilot rolled a 2 on the consciousness check and promptly got mauled the next turn.