Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

ZenVulgarity posted:

a quick look from gb

As much as I love GB I can only imagine one good scenario for their Battletech quicklook: Vinny playing with Alex commenting. Any other possible combo has far too much potential for :cripes: when it comes to BT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Gravy Jones posted:

I was about to say, given how some people have reacted to streamers taking their time to get their heads around the game or playing poorly due to lacking an encyclopediac knowledge of thirty years of Battletech lore and mechanics the quicklook is probably going to cause some heads to explode. I went back to rewatch Vinny and Alex's quicklook of Factorio (which sold me on the game originally, but I've since put several hundred hours into it) and almost has an anyeurism. They should bring back Austin as a special guest.

The problem (which I definitely think has gotten worse in the past year or so) is that they seem like they've been doing less and less prep work for games before sitting down to do a Quick Look of them. Like, I don't expect them to invest 20 hours into a game or anything before making a video, but more often than not they get basic details about games wrong , to such an extent that a lot of the time they actually misrepresent something. It even extends to basic stuff like price and platform -- multiple times recently I've heard them say things like "is this on Steam? I thiiiiink soooo?" or "what's it cost, 29? 39? maybe?", all of which are sorta hard to rationalize. Put that poo poo on a note card beforehand, it's information that people are gonna wanna know.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The official release-day livestream starts in ~45 minutes:

https://twitter.com/BATTLETECH_Game/status/988767275573538818

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

All games are allowed to have flaws and still be really good :ssh:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is that a quote off a different board or something?

I hate it when people just post poo poo they read somehwere else without indicating, you know, that they read it somewhere else.

I say this both as a normal poster who used to read the incel thread a lot and a mod who has to look at poo poo like this in another forum and go "wtf did a good poster go insane or is he reading reddit again?"

edit: posting from work. the wait. it's killing me.

This is like being in middle school again, staring at that loving clock, WILLING it to move faster so I can go home and shoot robots with my buddies.

It's Reddit.

Edit: lol that poster then went on to post threads titled "I don't want to use your preferred pronouns" in four separate LGBT+ related subreddits. I'd have just outright banned him from /r/battletech but the admin didn't give me those permissions (even though they're pretty much never active in the sub anymore).

Drone fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 24, 2018

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

16 minutes to decrypt wtf

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

God the music in this game is just fantastic

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

There are solid arguments for Marik, Davion, and Steiner. Outworlds and Canopus for periphery states maybe? Though Outworlds Alliance isn't really reflected at all in the origin story in-game.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I always choose to believe Steiner is like the Empire from Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and that's alright with me.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Oh my loving God, HBS you're brilliant (or Kiva/Isildur):

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Also general warning: spare yourselves from reading the Steam reviews. The sheer amount of he/she/they bullshit that the toxic internet is able to generate is just astounding.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

This game is really good and I am really into it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Man I really wish I had taken tomorrow off work. Going to have to hold out for playing in the evenings for just a few more days, then I have next week to devote to this game.

I haven't had any of the tech issues that a lot of people seem to be having. The animations have only really ever struck me as slow when there's a bit of lag at the end of the cinematic camera, I think when the game is loading the voice line that the NPC would actually say in response to scoring a hit. Beyond that, game looks and feels completely fine to me.

PoptartsNinja posted:

my secret hope is that we'll get a Crusader Kings style grand strategy game set in the BattleTech universe out of it.

brb i need a towel

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

quote:

I'm also not a fan of identity politics being thrown into the game, as a heavy kickstarter backer I will think twice in the future as I would of rather had ultra-wide support than what kind of snowflake.

quote:

The character creator is extremely limited and lazily done, missing standard features that have been in games for decades now. You can't even pick your gender!
It's hard to be immersed in a game when even your gender is ambiguous, and the most badass look you can put on your mechwarriors face is faint surprise or confused bemusement.

quote:

They have a "Gender neutral" pronoun option. "He, She and They". Well They can ♥♥♥♥ off. Also got banned on the forums for mentioning it.

quote:

Just want to be sure I have this straight. No high resoultion spport or wide monitor support, but plety of time to code in transgender pronouns and head graphics? I mean really? You guys sat around and made a decision to go with three sexes..but not high resolution.

quote:

Gender neutral pronouns in a BattleTech game?

Come on....lol.

That was strike number one.

quote:

No time to add ultrawide support to the game but plenty of time to add mentally ill trannies!

quote:

Got instantly banned from the BATTLETECH forums by the devs for criticising the neutral gender pronouns.

Given reason: 3 Warnings.

Reality: No warnings.

Game's alright but shame about the tyrannical censorship.

And my personal favorite:

quote:

My nu-transsensual ZETA-8 genderfluid heteromollusc Timber Wolf did not agree with the bad graphics, stale hyper simplified gameplay, lack of costumization and obvious paradox tier DLC to come.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Internet Explorer posted:

I really hope the devs aren't stressing about the Steam reviews right now, even thought I know they are. People are bombing over pronouns, people with tech issues are going to review right away. The people like the game are enjoying it and will review at a much slower pace than people being malicious or flipping out due to day 1 bugs.

I left my positive review. If others feel positively about this game, they should too.

Iymarra posted:

Dekker just took two pilot hits in the very first (non tutorial) mission.

Jesus christ.

We really need an :xcom: emote.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

sebmojo posted:

Do you have to make an account to play?

No.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I got to play for 3 hours last night. Now I'm sitting in the office and wishing I were back home playing this drat game. I guess I'm one of the fortunate ones that hasn't run into a single bug at all so far.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So how far in do you unlock the Argo?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Pirate Radar posted:

Just noticed the thread title change btw. That’s the good poo poo.

:master:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

SpaceDrake posted:

For my part, I hadn't even realized 21:9 monitors were becoming remotely common. I thought 16:9 was still the standard with 16:10 being an outlier.

The distribution is probably skewed a bit compared to the overall average because people who play PC games are probably more likely to invest in newer/better hardware more regularly.

The vast majority is probably still on 16:9 though. Personally I use dual monitors and dual 21:9 would be far too much real estate on my desk.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Saint Freak posted:

All of the bad reviews on steam seem to be real complaints actually. Unless we're doing a bit or whatever in which case I am cool and totally also in on the joke.

It's changed a bit now that more and more reviews have been pouring in, but the people crying about SJW's easily made up 10-20% of them in the hours immediately after release. It's toned down a bit due to heavy moderation, I think.

And I've only had to remove two posts on /r/battletech, which is shocking in how few that's been (especially for a place like Reddit). Overall the greater community has been so far fantastic in shouting down bigots and alt-right shitheads.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Just got my first-round game in the Goon tournament out of the way with Demiurge4, then did a casual followup game using different conditions (15m, lights and mediums only). Multiplayer in this game is a blast too, especially if you're both still trying to figure out what's good and what's not, and hashing things out via voice while playing. Had some really cool :battletech: moments with wundercrits out of nowhere.

Our second match was way closer than it had any right to be. Lucky PPC shots, a good pilot, access to water for heat dispersal, and jump jets let my Vindicator come every close to holding off a still-full (though damaged) enemy lance.

My general takeaways from both games against a human instead of the AI:

-Firestarters (or, I guess, any mech with a concentration on Flamers) are also real good and should probably be focused down whenever they show up.
-Jenners are great, Jenner supremacy 4ever.
-PPCs are just godlike when coupled with a mechwarrior that's highly skilled in gunnery. Demiurge4's Panthers consistently gave me hell in all cases (except for when I got an early crit on the component).
-I need to rethink how to best use a CPLT-C1, because it fell like a chump to a Panther PPC by me being dumb and not relying more on indirect fire.
-Did I mention how great Jenners are?

This game seems to be selling real well, so I'm optimistic for a sequel that has a more fleshed-out multiplayer mode. Timed leagues/tournaments (with pilot stats, C-bills, and salvage) would just be fantastic.

Drone fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 25, 2018

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Baron Porkface posted:

All short range weapons fire when i melee right?

All support weapons (MG's, Small Lasers, Flamers).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Impermanent posted:

am I the only guy whomst like the graphics? It feels model-y and fun.

Same. It's pretty clear they tried to go for a "cutely present this game as if it could be played on a fantastical version of a tabletop in someone's game room" style. I mean, the customization and barracks interfaces both have a literal miniatures painting station and MechWarrior RPG character sheets in them, for Pete's sake.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So if the goal is to capture a mech, is it better/easier to go for destroying both legs instead of going for hard-to-hit headshots?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Likewise, the Waypoint review is up. It may occasionally come across as a bit too rose-tinted, but Rob does a fantastic job of explaining the overall draw of the Battletech franchise as a whole.

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/pax9x7/battletech-review

Great Beer posted:

I lost her on Weldry. :smith:

I considering restarting because of it.

Can't you just load an earlier save from before she died?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

cheesetriangles posted:

Just got my first heavy, a grasshopper. Is this thing any good? I've been playing all night and need to sleep and can't play test it now.

A few pages ago someone was saying how amazing the Grasshopper is as a Flamer platform, but I dunno if anyone has backed that up yet.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Gobblecoque posted:

I cycled through all the available resolutions fullscreen and windowed and nothing. :(

If you have an Nvidia card, you should also have a graphics driver update pending. They released it for Battletech, and it seems to correct (some) issues.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Miasman posted:

The main issue I'm having with this is that it's edging me closer to descending down the board game rabbit hole...

My wallet can't take that poo poo.

Good news: the new Introductory Box Set isn't out yet. I'd definitely recommend waiting for it, since the new miniatures it includes look pretty great (though you get fewer of them than in the out-of-print previous version).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Miasman posted:

Ah, nice. Any idea when it's due to release?

Due in 3rd Quarter of this year, unfortunately. But there will be two "starter boxes", which is a pretty smart decision I think... a cheap one and a normal one:

https://bg.battletech.com/books/upcoming-releases/

Cheap one is gonna be $19.99 and includes:

quote:

• 2 high-quality, fully assembled (unpainted) miniatures:
  • Griffin
  • Wolverine

• 24-page Quick Start Rulebook
  • 8 Quick Start Record Sheets
  • 48 page fiction novella by William H. Keith, Jr., a prequel to the Gray Death Legion saga featuring Carlyle’s Commandos and Durant Carlyle; only available in the Beginner Box.
  • 4-page Instant Guide to the Inner Sphere
  • 4 Pilot Cards
  • One all-new full-color paper map (hexed, double-sided)
  • Punchboard of additional BattleMechs
  • 2 dice

And the more expensive one is:

quote:

• 8 high-quality, fully assembled (unpainted) miniatures:
  • Awesome
  • BattleMaster
  • Catapult
  • Commando
  • Locust
  • Shadow Hawk
  • Thunderbolt
  • Wolverine

• 48-page Rulebook
  • 16-page Record Sheet Booklet
  • 48 page fiction novella by William H. Keith, Jr., a prequel to the Gray Death Legion saga featuring Carlyle’s Commandos and Durant Carlyle; only available in the A Game of Armored Combat box.
  • 16-page Universe Primer
  • 8 Pilot Cards
  • 8 Alpha Strike Cards
  • 2 heavy-stock reference sheets
  • Two all-new 18” x 22” full-color paper maps (hexed, double-sided)
  • Punchboard of additional BattleMechs and terrain
  • 2 dice

The new minis look quite good (for CGL, anyway).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Colonial Air Force posted:

Are there new rules, or can I skip it if I already own the previous one?

Rules are unchanged. The only real change are the new miniatures, and I assume some of the rulebooks/record sheets will have a new layout. Maps are probably the same?

I also don't remember if the old core set included Alpha Strike stuff, but this one apparently does alongside normal Classic Battletech rules.

If you wanted to start out on the game though and don't want to wait for the official box, you could always just buy some legal-grey-area sculpts based on MWO models, print out your own hex maps, and use the free Quick Start Rules PDF (or just pick up a copy of Total Warfare, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're already familiar with the quickstart rules or have played MegaMek).

Could also get the old minis from the Alpha Strike lance packs or direct from Iron Wind Metals/Ral Partha Europe. Quality on both of those are mediocre at best though.

Drone fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 27, 2018

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Is Alpha Strike where those pilot cards come from?

Sorry to ask here, but I couldn't find an active TG thread

Yep.

The old Battletech TG thread dipped off into archives last fall, unfortunately.

Hoping to God that Jordan and CGL hash something out to adapt the HBS system over to tabletop as a new edition though. It totally feels like it's something HBS kept in mind when designing this game.

Drone fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 27, 2018

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Phi230 posted:

They should restart the lore from 3025 too

:yeah:

Make the Clans slightly less problematic (and dumb).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Zore posted:

Someone created a nexus page for Battletech specifically just to upload this mod

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/1

i'm so sorry

quote:

REMOVE THEY remove they
you are worst sjw. you are the sjw idiot you are the sjw smell. return to communast europ. to our librul cousins you may come our battletech. you may live in the zoo….ahahahaha ,hbs we will never forgeve you. transgay rascal gently caress but gently caress rear end in a top hat they stink lgbtqwtfbbq sqhipere shqipare..them genocide best day of my life. take a bath of dead freeborn..ahahahahahAMARIS WE WILL GET YOU!! do not forget 3rd sucesson war .libruls we beat the hillary , hillary return to your precious free wrolds ligue….hahahahaha idiot they and sjw smell so bad..wow i can smell it. REMOVE THEY FROM THE PREMISES. you will get caught. sjw+lgbt+hbs+freeworldslage=kill america…you will ww2/ trump alive in mar al lago, trump making album of clans . fast rap trump#maga. we are rich and have gold now hahahaha ha because of trump… you are ppoor stink sjw… you live in a hovel hahahaha, you live in a yurt

trump alive numbr one #1 in clanworlds ….gently caress the battletech ,..FUCKk ashol libruls no good i spit in the mouth eye of ur flag and contry. /r/the_kerensky aliv and real strong wizard kill all the sjw farm aminal with rap magic now we the maga rule .ape of the zoo joradn wiesman fukc the great satan and lay egg this egg hatch and kerensky wa;s born. stupid baby form the eggn give bak our clay we will crush u lik a skull of tetaetae. clans greattst countrey

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I lost Behemoth on Wendry and didn't savescum.

It hurts.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Took a mission for the Capellans. Flavor text mentions someone spotting an "extremely heavy pirate mech" that I need to take out. I figure "awesome, I'm gonna finally get a heavy". So I dial up the salvage negotiation to maximum.

The "extremely heavy pirate mech"? It was a Schrek PPC Carrier. :|

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Captain Foo posted:

this is... Good?

Paradox has been pushing to break out of the grand strategy mould for awhile and acquire competencies elsewhere in the RPG or tactical space. They tried (and failed) to develop their own IP (Runemaster) into a tactical RPG a few years ago, and it seems like they decided buying a studio that already matches that competency was the best call. And their Battletech collaboration seems to have been really good.

PDX have also just announced their new board gaming division as well. Please, for the love of God, let this mean that there's now a Very Competent Game Company out there (PDX) who sees the value of the Battletech franchise and will potentially seek to consolidate the IP.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Rookersh posted:

Does HB own the rights to Battletech?

This is hopefully a possibility with the acquisition. I may be a bit wrong on how the Battletech license works, but I thiiiink it's something like this?:

The Battletech IP belongs to Topps. It's possible there's still a tabletop/video game split between Topps and Microsoft, but I don't know.
Topps licenses out the distribution of the board game and roleplaying game to Catalyst Game Labs.
Topps licenses out the video game license to Piranha and HBS, who (maybe somewhat begrudgingly on Piranha's part?) share certain assets (3D models of the PGI mech redesigns)
Catalyst Game Labs produces some miniatures in-house, but also continues (???) to sub-license production of metal minis out to Iron Wind Metals / Ral Partha Europe.

Ideally Paradox figures out some way to just buy the IP from Topps, but that might just be a pipe dream. Paradox is seven times larger than Topps in terms of overall annual revenue (and is publicly-traded), so the purchasing power is definitely there if they choose to invest it.

IMO a complete acquisition of the IP isn't really necessary, so long as Paradox is able to convince Topps to give CGL the finger and hand over the overall caretaker role of the franchise to Paradox (and with it, the ability to breath life into the tabletop games again).

Drone fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 5, 2018

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

CGL is about to release a new box for BT, but it'd be nice if they lost both BT and Shadowrun tabletop licenses and Paradox made better versions.

I haven't watched any of it beyond the first episode, but hasn't HBS been sorta in-house alpha-testing a replacement for the tabletop game with their Death From Above series on HyperRPG? Under the guise of it just being a "homebrewed RPG system"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Azhais posted:

Too bad, now they're obligated to give us grand strategy battletech

Crusader Kings 3: This Time In Space would be just fine for me.