Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm okay with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

God, why do you nerds have to ruin this for me?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CourValant posted:

For those who have been playing the Backer Beta, how is the 'overheat causes internal damage' mechanic?

It seems rather punitive to me, and really discourages riding that heat scale. That being said, I don't want to pre-judge without having even loaded up the game.

I only played 2 matches, won both handily, but I think the internal damage isn't enough. Shutting down was a really big problem, but internal structure damage wasn't significant enough for me to not fire. I was doing way more damage with my shots than I was receiving as internal damage, so I kept up the push as much as I could.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 2, 2017

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, but if we're talking about something like an LRM boat, even in a campaign situation it will likely be better that your LRM mech take structure damage than let whatever is in the front-line taking a pounding to eat another salvo from the enemy mech you're taking out.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think they need to make knockdowns more rare in general but also need to make it so that it takes an action to stand back up.

Also they need to make it so that if you use your "move" action, you can still decide to use a "sprint" action instead of firing, like XCOM.

Also also when you are doing melee, even if it's not entirely accurate of the math going on in the background, your mech should really shoot then punch. Especially if you're closing the distance. It just looks so awkward right now.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Gwaihir posted:

Definitely agree on the second two points here.

Knockdowns do take an action to stand back up though, it's just effectively half your movement allotment.

Ah, okay. Sorry for the misinformation. I guess it's just such a small amount it's not noticeable. It should take up a full action. So basically you could stand a move but not sprint. Or stand and shoot but not move.

[Edit: If I am going to melee someone and have to move to get in close enough, I want my mech to shoot small lasers and machine guns while running and then punch or shoulder-check. It would look roughly a billion times cooler than it looks now.]

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I really like that they're basically making GBS threads surveys at us. I'm sure tied to some sort of analytics of the match we just played. Should hopefully help them get a bunch of good feedback.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Psion posted:

The camera worked right for this killcam: https://gfycat.com/RevolvingPlayfulArmedcrab

Man, that is an infinitely better camera setup than I have seen so far. Hope they can improve upon this a bit. I think it is a large part of why the game feels a little disconnect for me.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I am loving Jenners. In the 2 matches I took one I was able to flank and take out mechs from behind. Just gotta dance around and harvest that sweet, sweet butt meat.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Kraven Moorhed posted:

To me, evading just kinda feels like a mismatch with how turns play out. When you think about the game as an abstraction of simultaneous conflict, it's conceptually sound ... but since the game's representation is so concrete, it's not as easy to make that connection as it is with TT. It's intuitive for something like receiving overwatch fire in XCOM where you see the misses happen as they move and you can attribute them to "hey, this guy's moving evasively."

When a mech is standing still and evading, though, it just looks like the other pilot fell over one too many times and can't shoot for poo poo.

If there were some idle animation that would convey the act of being evasive, it'd be easier to make that connection immediately. But that's a pain in the rear end. Maybe it could get reflavored? Something about minimizing your mech's profile, or some form of light ECM going on.

I agree with this and will say as a general concept, the audio-visual experience leaves a lot to be desired and does not help convey what is going on.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm really looking forward to multiplayer. The AI just isn't enough of a challenge right now.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, I don't think anyone is saying they are disappointed the AI isn't top-notch, just that yeah, it needs quite a bit of work.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

isildur posted:

My sense of the AI's issue is that it doesn't really know how to operate a lance as a single unit. It can do the smart thing with any given single mech, but it won't (for instance) try to keep its lance together to provide support for each other.

Make sure you fill out the response survey when you get the AI page. Our priorities between now and launch for the combat game are going to be largely driven by the survey results.

No worries, I've been filling them out like crazy and putting a paragraph or so in the notes section. Loving how you guys are approaching that.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

4^3=64, XCOM 3 is going to be an N64 exclusive, you heard it first here folks

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

They need to make it so you can't do a 180 when jump jetting. Jumping behind someone and shooting their back armor is fine, but it shouldn't be as easy as it is now.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It just seems to happen a lot. Like A LOT a lot. I do it to the AI constantly and if the AI has a few mechs with jump jets every turn is someone jump jetting behind someone to core them. It looks funny and is something you never see in the MechWarrior games. I've never played TT, so if you're saying it happens a lot there, then I guess that's another viewpoint, but to me it looks and feels very silly.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Zaodai posted:

It used to happen all the time in MW3 and 4.

It also comes out that if you're jumping behind someone to backshoot them, your back is now probably to their friends.

Odd, I didn't even think that was possible to pull of in MW 3 or 4. I certainly couldn't jump over someone and rotate 180 degrees. Never really saw it in MWO either, although there you just usually used jump jets to skate around as a light and help you turn quicker.

Cyrano4747 posted:

It was pretty common in TT if you locally outnumbered an opponent. Worse than the attacks in the same turn that you jumped behind him was dealing with having someone in your rear arc in the next turn, when all those jumping negatives wouldn't apply. SO in my above example, do you keep your atlas pointed at the warhammer in front of you and ignore the jenner behind you, or do you try to do something clever so they're both in your side arc or something. It was a big part of how the maneuver in TT flowed.

Of course the real answer was to move your fatty that they're trying to get back shots on in the short term and move someone else in to get that light off your rear end.

If you have a Victor with JJ facing off against a Victor with JJ and are at medium range (like 5-6 hexes?) it makes more sense to jump over the person and try to shoot their back. Then the target Victor, if it survives, jumps over you and tries to shoot your back. If there's a Jenner running around he's doing the same thing. I think what you're saying with a penalty to accuracy for the jumping pilot would make sense, but I am not sure if that is the case right now. And yes, in the beginning of the match you might end up with your rear armor facing an enemy, but at least with how my matches have been going on that front line disintegrates very quickly. I also like to fan out pretty far, so maybe that's just the style I have been playing.

It's not the end of the world, just seems kind of silly at times.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

FYI, no one is making fun of you for comparing XCOM and BattleTech. People are making fun of you for using stupid examples of what BattleTech "copied" from XCOM. I hope this clears up your confusion.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ham Sandwiches posted:

You don't have to agree with me, I'm calling out the elements that I am not a fan of, based on my chance to play the Beta version of this videogame for the first time.

There's nothing you agree or disagree with here. No one is laughing at your opinions. They are laughing at your incorrect facts.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

ah yes noted xcom like shadowrun returns/dragonfall/hong kong, where a magician can stand on leylines to summon magic creatures while a squadmate hacks into an alternate map and does combat in cyberspace to affect objects in the real world

Holy poo poo, you can do this in Shadowrun? I really need to get off my rear end and play thoughts. I know the first didn't get the best reviews. Which one should I start with?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Dragonfall it is!

Also, I couldn't sleep last night so I played a few games against the AI where I let them have the "War" limit (25m) and artificially capped myself at 20m. Let me tell you, that was a lot more challenging. I won one match by the skin of my teeth and got fairly stomped in the other one. Really surprising how much a difference that 5m makes.

I could also have just been sleep deprived.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

no, isildur, where are you going come back

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

loving Gauss rifles? YES!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Jenner owns, owns, owns. Also, I must be playing a lot different than some of you. LRMs are dangerous and the stability probably needs to be toned down, but it's not really affecting my choices and I certainly haven't anyone headcapped in one shot or had a pilot killed before a mech got cored.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I agree with the general concept that there doesn't seem to be much long range engagement right now where a mech gets weakened before it's actually in the fight.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Phrosphor posted:

There are posts appearing on the official forums that the AI is much better in this version.

That's awesome news. Can't wait to play a few matches.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I really like that he seems to just say what's on his mind. Anywhere I've seen him talk he seems genuine.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Meter of Badassdom.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

D:OS2 turn-based goodness has me even more psyched for the full campaign. I know there's some true grogs here who I cannot hope to compete with, but I am going to play the gently caress out of this game.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My Atlas came in a foil pack!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thirding the Gray Death trilogy. It's what seriously got me into the BattleTech world, same for pretty much all of my friends who are/were into it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

Wow, that's a lot of great recommendations, thanks a ton guys. I'm still grinding through MWO as my regular podcast game, I think I managed to actually wreck a few in a Mad Cat Mk 2 the other day.

Please use spoilers or a trigger warning if you are going to post about MWO in this thread, thank you. :colbert:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Skoll posted:

I am glad this gathering of nerds still finds itself able to look down on other nerds over nerd poo poo. :bravo:

I mean, just a page ago we were making fun of Star Wars nerds who were upset over the EU wipe because it was necessary to start anew and wishing that BT would do the same. I wouldn't be surprised you're being poked at for being a grognard.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sky Shadowing posted:

As I said, the primary reason I'm interested in MW5 is that they said around the time they announced it that it would have VR support, and in games I've always said would be perfect for VR MechWarrior has been on top of my list.

I have no immediate faith in PGI otherwise, though. People who seem to have played it says it at least feels good, but obviously their heavy emphasis on procedural generation has me concerned.

PGI couldn't get basic animations or UI things done for years and years. If you trust them to do VR right I have a bridge to sell you.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sky Shadowing posted:

Mitch has confirmed for finals that the ability to customize MechWarriors in any way has been cut.

You can still customize your commander but that's it.

That's... Really unfortunate.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I should not have watched that Yogscast video. I was doing just fine before, but now... ugh. Can't wait to play with the campaign/mercenary stuff instead of just skirmish. I think it's going to add a lot of depth.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

isildur posted:

gently caress, i hope you all aren't too disappointed. :derp: I mean I really like my game and I think it's awesome but I think it's probably not as good as your anticipation is making it seem. Just, you know. Have realistic expectations!

It's going to be great! Just remember what type of choices we had for Battletech on the PC up until now.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Foglet posted:

We got a launch date: April 24.

:siren: High Command has confirmed deployment and WE ARE GO FOR LAUNCH on April 24, 2018 at 9am PT. :siren:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's the same thing in IT. Junior folks are just excited that they can, senior folks spend more time thinking about whether or not they should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sky Shadowing posted:

Tweet I just saw says that it'll be Mitch and Kiva (better known to us as isildur) on the Paradox stream with fellow goon cknoor.

Kiva's Q&A was by far my favorite so show some support for a fellow goon and watch her explain all sorts of awesome things!

Well, in that case it sounds like I have to watch it. Since I'm old and senile, it looks like this is going to be on Twitch at like 12pm EST? https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive