Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
A pubbie on the official forums suggested increasing internal structure of the head on all Mechs by 15 points. The problem with that is, it still leaves the AC/10 as a headcapper. But if you combine it with my earlier suggestion of buffing the PPC to 60 dmg and dropping the AC/10 to 70, I think it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

School Nickname posted:

Thanks for this, I should really pay more attention to the icons on the enemy mech, since I missed that both the enemy hunchbacks were bulwarked. :downs: Also, I had my hunchback 4P generate zero heat with alpha strikes while in water. Even with water that can't be right, can it? Reminded me of my old MLAS spam days in MW2 and mercs (or SPLAS spam on THAT loving mw2 mission where you're thrown in front of a Warhawk doing the same).

Water is OP in this game.

OK, mostly joking. But in this game water doubles your heatsink capacity for all heatsinks. Not just ones located in the legs.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

It's probably easier at this point to just change the number rather than the mechanic.

Instead of +100% HS capacity, make it 50% or maybe even 25%.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Yeah, there's essentially two kinds of buildings. Smaller buildings that don't really warrant notice that you can simply walk through and crush, and bigger buildings that you can jump on top of to snipe and stuff like that. I don't recall if they've said anything about being able to fall through or "Kool-Aid Man" the bigger ones.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Pattonesque posted:

If they have the -3M Griffin I'm really looking forward to recreating the MWO murdermachine build of 4 SRM4 (or 4 SRM6) and jump jets. I think it could be brutal in this game

The -4G is legit scary with the AC/20. Considering how quality the AC/10 is in this game I could really see some good medium skirmisher builds centered around them

They definitely won't have the 3M Griffin in this game. And I wouldn't expect MWO levels of hardpoints in Mechs either.

As for good medium skirmisher builds centered around the AC/10, the Centurion is exactly that straight out of the box.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Why would that possibly work like that? Kind of defeats the purpose of having hardpoints?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

https://youtu.be/IBJ7fbbTDA0

First look at the Argo and your crew from E3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr9Q25WPids

Q_res fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 12, 2017

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Yeah, in all likelihood the patch adding multiplayer is the only patch we'll see during Beta. Maybe they'll adjust some stuff in that patch, for the purposes of feedback, but based on what they've said I wouldn't expect too much.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Probably still won't be possible because of hardpoints.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Rygar201 posted:

Everyone whining about evasive move is ignoring the many ways that it can be mitigated though.

Nah, the ways to mitigate it all have serious drawbacks. It's entirely accurate to say that Evasive Move is the best Pilot Skill in the game, and it's really not even arguable. It gives you a huge defensive buff for essentially no downside. And to counter it, your opponent has to do basically 1 of 3 things. Take Sensor Lock, which requires you to forgo weapons fire from one of your Mechs entirely just to use it. Melee, which is likely going to force you to expose one of your Mechs to his entire lance and possibly without the benefit of cover, either the in-game state or the use of terrain to block LoS. All just for the chance to knock him out of Evasive. You can always shoot him out of it, but that is basically going to require a shitload of missile fire to pull off reliably, so to take advantage of that you'll have to reserve down most of your Mechs so you can drop as much weight of fire on him as possible before he moves again and regains Evasive.

That's not to say it needs to be banished from the game, but the complaints are understandable because it's really, really loving good.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

- We don't know what the campaign game is going to be like, how many and what sorts of maps we'll have, or what sort of objectives we'll need to accomplish.

There's a "Contracts" folder in the Beta install that has a number of files in it that can give you some idea of a few of the mission types we'll be undertaking, it's a good read and one of them actually kind of surprised me.

Also, I agree with you on Assault Mechs. They've stated that they actually moved the spawn points closer together for Beta, so come release it's possible that bringing an Assault Mech could be a hindrance in PVP if you're not careful.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

It's worth mentioning, with the Master Tactician skill you shed the "Unsteady" state when you Reserve.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Honestly, even if you can only make use of that once a turn it's still pretty good. I feel like that skill is really undervalued by some people.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Bubbacub posted:

:stare:

If you read the article, Jordan admits that the goal of the game is to recreate X-Com 1:1.

Ham Sandwiches, you forgot to sign out of your alt-account.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

So a developer from Blizzard who's been playing the Beta posted an analysis of the games performance on the official forums. It's highly technically, and lengthy, but it's an interesting read.

https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/9061

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Phrosphor is doing a "campaign", using the Beta skirmish mode.

https://youtu.be/S9EjxKydDWM

Though he hasn't posted an update in a while. It's the most interesting bit of videos to come out of this so far. There's really not enough there to make streaming terribly interesting right now.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

The Beta is a true Beta, not Early Access labelled as a Beta (which a lot of companies do these days). They're using it to test aspects of the game, but it's limited in scope so they can get the kind of information they're looking for specifically. It's only a limited selection of Mechs and a barebones single-player Skirmish mode. Even the AI is limited (it's literally not capable of using some of the pilot skills, for instance) and not particularly challenging unless you give it a big advantage in terms of Mechs and Pilots. There will be an update that adds multiplayer, but they've indicated they have no plans to add any content during Beta.

edit: There's also no ETA on when the multiplayer patch will hit right now. Once it's patched in we're due for at least another month of Beta per HBS.

Honestly, in its current state that's not a lot of reason to play it too much.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 16, 2017

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Yep, 2nd Wednesday.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Noon Pacific time.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

ACs will still be good with those damage numbers. Not so sure about the stability changes though. But, I guess, feel free to whine because the AC10 is no longer objectively better than the AC20.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

edit: Actually 60 is the headcapper threshold in this game. So they didn't actually fix that.

The only two ACs that caused issues were the AC/5 and the AC/10. The biggest problem with the AC/5 was it made the PPC look kind of lovely, especially combined with the heat scale we've had.

The AC/10 managed to make the PPC and AC/20 look dumb, while also being a one-shot headcapping monster. It is, objectively, the best weapon in the game and the only thing that could even make an argument of it is the LRM-15

There's a huge gulf between where ACs are right now and a Meta where ACs actually suck. Give it a chance before declaring ACs ruined.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 14, 2017

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

I agree to a point. Big slugfests are awesome, but "oh gently caress my atlas got domed" is pretty much battle tech as gently caress too.

One of the most hilarious awesome Beta moments I've had is parking my Panther on the main Hill on the River map, having the AI roll into view with a Jenner. And on the following turn, in the first shot fired in the entire match, headcapping the Jenner with my PPC + Precision Shot.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

So, it looks like to avoid having to tune the AC damage down too much they've rejiggered the calcs for head hits. Then they also boosted head structure by a point.

https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/9223/comments/175654

So the AC/10 can only headcap the Spider and Commando post damage retuning.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

:woop: Who knew that not pandering to frothing at the mouth idiots would work out?!?

If you read that thread (do so at own risk...), you can actually see someone refer to the AC/2 as being "op for its size". Really glad they don't listen to that stuff.

I'm super happy with what they've done, pending actually playing it. I tried ACs at 20/35/55/100 damage with some modding, and I'll admit at 35 damage the AC/5 did seem just a hair too weak.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I got 2 matches in, both wins. It's a shitload of fun, if you managed to get it downloaded. Don't quit out of the game without disabling auto-updates.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Well, in the 2 MP matches I played there were plenty of head hits but nobody died from a headshot. There were also an ammo explosion or two each match.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Nice "i got into multiplayer" brag.

Well, it's live for everyone now. https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/9249 So you can stop being a salty little poo poo about it veedub.

:love:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Breaching Shot (formerly Precision Shot) stacks with Multi-targeting. I've been using it to great effect on my Trebuchets. Definitely try it out, seems like it would be rather strong.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Zaodai posted:

It is one of the many things that means "bad" in BT. But yes, I was aware. At least they would have a niche use instead of just being completely worthless? I dunno. I'm just trying to have hope for Assaults, okay? :negative:

The Battlemaster is a legit beast right now, the Awesome was underrated pre-patch, I'm not worried about Assaults.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Battlemaster, you want to get up close and personal. The PPC is to keep them honest as you close and help the rest of your Lance with long range focus fire.

The Awesome only looked bad because the AC/5 and AC/10 were overbuffed. The pre-patch PPC was literally just the TT PPC, but hotter. With the Breach + Multi stack, gentler heat curve and the targeting debuff it should be legit now.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Rygar201 posted:

Does anyone else really like the change to the mineral fields? I have liked it a lot so far

Thanks for the Assault words Q. I'll have to try the Battlemaster again. I just always feel like I would rather spend the extra ATT :10bux: for an Atlas

Try using the Bulwark + Evasive Pilot in the Battlemaster.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

The more I play with the new Evasion system and the more used to it I get, the less I like it. It feels like Sensor Lock is even more vital now than it was before. Plus, it's essentially worthless to Sensor Lock a Mech that moves after your Locking Mech. So you end up in a cycle of reserves that feels kind of... degenerative?

I do think it's an improvement over the old system where Evasive Move was simply broken, but there's something not quite right with it still.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

And I'm pretty sure you're 100% right, I don't think they've hit a single date without a delay. I mean, it's not anything to get worried about, but I think it is true. Though in fairness, they're a small outfit and this is a pretty ambitious title.

So, at this point I'd say don't set any expectations beyond '2018' and just be patient. We'll get our game eventually.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

How has the pubbie backlash been when they announced the previous delays? I imagine if enough people were in an uproar HBS may not want to delay again. Delay beyond their vague 2018 commitments, that is.

Outside of SA, you'll get a handful of people bitching about but they're a stark minority. They get a lot of slack from their fanbase. I guess between the SR games and their openness they've built a lot of trust.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

So, I was a little bored and fired up the Beta to check out Pilot Skills based on what was revealed in the Q&A. So, you get to choose 1 skill as a 'Specialization' and 1 as an 'Expertise'. So the low-level ability from 1 skill and 2 abilities from another. Here's what we're looking at based on Beta.

Specialization = 5 point ability in that skillset
Expertise = 5 & 8 point abilities in that skillset

Piloting:

5 - Evasive Movement
8 - Angel of Death

Tactics:

5 - Sensor Lock
8 - Master Tactician

Guts:

5 - Bulwark
8 - Unknown/Not present in Beta

Gunnery:

5 - Multi-Targeting
8 - Breaching Shot

edit: Really makes me wonder what the high-end Guts ability could be. Perhaps an ability that lets you use Sprint speed for Melee attacks? Making your Melee range significantly larger.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Oct 17, 2017

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I went through the game files and assembled a list of Mech variants based on Rarity values.

Rarity 0:
Urbanmech R60
Locust 1V
Commando 2D

Rarity 1:
Spider 1V
Shadowhawk 2H
Panther 9R
Locust 1S
Locust 1M
Jenner 7D
Hunchback 4G
Griffin 1N
Cicada 2A
Commando 1B
Cicada 3C
Blackjack BJ1
Wolverine 6R

Rarity 2:
Wolverine 6K
Vindicator 1R
Trebuchet 5N
Shadowhawk 2D
Hunchback 4P
Griffin 1S
Dragon 1N
Centurion 9A

Rarity 3:
Thunderbolt 5S
Quickdraw 4G
Orion 1K
Kintaro 18
Jagermech 6S
Enforcer 4R
Centurion 9AL
Catapult C1

Rarity 4:
Zeus 6S
Victor 9B
Thunderbolt 5SS
Thunderbolt 5SE
Stalker 3F
Quickdraw 5A
Orion 1V
Jagermech 6A
Highlander 733
Grasshopper 5H
Banshee 3E
Awesome 8T
Awesome 8Q

Rarity 5:
Victor 9S
King Crab 0000
Highlander 733P
Cataphract 1X
Black Knight BL6
Battlemaster 1G
Banshee 3M
Atlas 7D

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

It can only be one of two things:
- how often those 'Mechs can turn up in the shop (and potentially which shops will stock them)
- how often those 'Mechs will turn up in campaign missions.

My assumption is, it's actually both. Though I'm sure that occurred to you.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Well, we know that aside from named characters enemy forces will be randomly generated. So we can safely assume we're far more likely to see a Dragon show up than a Cataphract.

But PTN's right, 'Rarity' really only makes sense for the Campaign. Though it makes a ton of sense there, what Mechs you'll be able to buy (when that's possible) and what forces you face are likely both influenced by that number. Rarity runs on a scale of 0-5 so far, we should be swimming in the 0 and 1 rated Mechs.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Oct 26, 2017

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

https://battletech.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

Yeah, $60 is the tier you need to buy at to get Beta access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Yeah, it might take a few days for them to send your Steam Key to your Backerkit account because they have to do it manually and they're in heads-down crunch mode. If you do decide to buy into the Beta, here https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/9249 are the instructions for the opt-in multiplayer test.

SkyShadowing's right though, it's pretty limited in scope. But it is fun, in small doses.