Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

gazza posted:

I appreciate that the posts saying "don't bother rationalizing this stuff" have been followed by nonstop rationalization of this stuff

I think it's funny as hell to try/read the attempts, personally :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Any good gameplay videos of this beta out there yet? I want to buy in because hell yes stompy mechs by Harebrained but I'm utterly poo poo at most strategy games to the point where they stop being fun.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I don't know a lot about real BattleTech, basically everything I know nowadays is from MWO. How much customization will we be able to do to mechs in this game, and how much of that is poo poo what isn't really canon or whatever?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

sebmojo posted:

Can't change engines

rip urbanmech k-9, you will always be cool in my heart :unsmith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Just checking since my only experience is MW2 Mercs and MWO. The concept of "quirks" in MWO is something completely fabricated for the sake of game balance, right? There's no equivalent in BattleTech to the idea that, for example, the WHK-PRIME fires higher velocity cERPPC shots than anyone else just because it's a WHK-PRIME firing it, right?

(there's no clans yet in this, I know, just pulling an example out my rear end)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Xarbala posted:

Tabletop Battletech does have Quirks, people were just talking about them in PTN's LP thread for a few pages not too long ago.

HBS BT instead has uncommon/rare weapons and equipment with minor bonuses attached.

That LP thread is a megalithic monster that for some reason I'm trying to catch up on from the beginning :gonk:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So basically Quirks are a thing but my knowledge of them from MWO probably doesn't apply?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

If I had half a freaking idea of how to play BT (or the time/:effort: to learn it) I'd sign up for that thread, but alas

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Anyone have any recommended viewing of the game and its gameplay? I gather there was a press demo recently or something?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

RabidWeasel posted:

Apparently streamers etc. have been given copies of the full game and will be streaming with no restrictions starting tomorrow afternoon (Euro time) in case anyone wants more hype

Oh good, I actually enjoyed watching CohhCarnage work through the game in those earlier streams (thanks for whoever linked me that btw). Looking forward to seeing more of the game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Man I haven't watched Beaglerush in a long time. It'll be fun to see him in a new tactical game, if he does videos.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Should have just changed the only option to they/them/theirs and put all the portraits in the same category. :getin:

april fools joke for next year imo

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Lore question, do ComStar people believe in their own technotheocratic fart huffing, or does everyone know it's just a front for keeping their hands on the keys to the castle (of Terra and HPG secrets)?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

In TT or HBS is there a conception of overriding heat-related shutdown and risking injury/destruction like you can in the MechWarrior games?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So you can't override the shutdown in the name of desperation (or at least wanting to make the enemy victory Pyrrhic), you have to turn off at the second threshold? Rats. Guess that simplifies things though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

kingcom posted:

Well, you're not really supposed to be in direct control of everyone. Going over that first heat threshold is your pilot overriding your shutdown by default as you start taking internal damage. The second threshold is the reactor starting to go critical and safety systems just shutting you down, its been something that every mechwarrior game has had except MWO.

Gotcha, yeah. The only system I know is MWO's, where while in Override at 95%+ (or so; it's affected by skills) you just start taking structure damage in random components, with all the crit potential that entails. Structure damage that deals the killing blow is listed as Killed by Overheating / Suicide. I sort of recall MechWarrior 2 being the same way but I was too young to be sure.
(e)

Zore posted:

Thats what the first threshold represents. The second is the reactor shutting down so a nuke doesn't go off.

Makes sense. Just can't actually reach that second threshold in MWO without just dying from overheat structure damage, as far as I know.

Can pilots be harmed by overheating in game?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

kingcom posted:

Ironically thanks to HBS being good devs, the charger would be an amazing natural path from a Light mech pilot to end up in as it would be a terrifying melee mech that is also going to be a powerful mobile scout/backstabber/senor locker.

Also Xarbala is there any non-awful art of the Charger and so how do we fix this.

is that mech loving giving me the finger

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, I'm due for a new GPU, but I'm holding off until Bitcoin finishes imploding. 1080 Ti's have been over 1k for quite a while now.

Sweet christ, and I thought I was ripping myself off buying one for $800 nine months ago. :psypop:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I've gone from not caring about a new strategy game release to frothing at the mouth for HBS BattleTech in a matter of days. Why can't I play this noooowwwww :cry:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Do either the main campaign or freeplay modes in this have a Doomsday Clock?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I just checked my inbox in the vague hope that I had backed BattleTech and forgotten.

Sigh...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

gently caress yes.

i wish desperately that I were playing but this'll do

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I didn't notice the game ever explaining what mech characteristics make it better rat melee, though, to defend Beaglerush a little :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

From watching streams there's plenty to read Lore-wise in the form of hover text, so kind of best of all worlds.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, you always want your units to be well armored, though you don't necessarily have to go maximum armor depending on the unit's purpose.

Also, IIRC Kiva mentioned that torso armor is bugged right now and you can full armor both front and rear instead of the two splitting the same maximum amount of allowable armor.

I also saw Kiva mention last night in Beaglerush's stream that sale prices for mechs seem bugged. He completed a Commando that would scrap for about 115k; the shop sale price was 100k. :psyduck:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I kind of like the headcanon idea that the more humanoid a mech is in appearance and functional limbs, the easier it is to pilot because of whatever a neurohelmet does, that's my explanation for fingers and I accept no other

Admittedly "fingers make the mech easier to drive" is on the level of "da red wunz go fasta" and is almost certainly contradicted by real lore, but still

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Radio Free Kobold posted:

"da red wunz go fasta" is real lore. By that logic, fingers actually do make the mech easier to drive.

okay yeah fair point but even if it actually works and is lore it's still (good, but) really dumb :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

This is a weird thing to get pedantic about. Hands are useful, just let mechs have hands! There's no need for a seven paragraph errata to justify it!

Look if I can't play full HBS BattleTech right now then I want either pedantic shitposting or cryopods

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The devs remember them. :v:

loving :discourse:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sky Shadowing posted:

I took my friends to one of those centers that still exist, it's like 20 minutes from where I live. We played one match but I don't think any of us were greatly impressed. In my case it was weird because it glitched and didn't show the side displays on the side displays, just on the main screen, so it was just pretty much playing MechWarrior 4 on a HOTAS.

yeah I can imagine those sim pods as one of those things better left as a memory

besides MW4 in the 90s would have been rad as hell

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

My only problem stopping me from playing Stellaris is that it has no goal except that which you create yourself, and I just almost never get attached to those :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I find it hard, in MWO, to compare one mech to another in the same class, or to answer e.g. "why is the Blackjack a bad chassis". Does HBS BT do much for helping people on the job of a mech besides light/medium/heavy/assault?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Coucho Marx posted:

A whole honor/dishonor/nemesis system, where your behavior towards an enemy changes your relationship with them and their faction, seems like something rather outside this game's design goals.

For a Dragonfall-esque Clan Invasion expansion, however...

Yeah it's HBS's proven track record with sequels and learning from missteps that has me hype for the future of the game. From what I've seen on streams I know it'll be better at the offing than Shadowrun Returns was, equivalently :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

sebmojo posted:

There's nothing about that on the first dozen pages of the steam forums, it's all people being SO loving HYPE about the game, it's kind of adorable

It won't last, enjoy it while it does

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

everyone will learn to love the name of The Commissariat :toughguy:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Weissritter posted:

Username checks out!

Cain's Commissariat.

i will love that terribly written book series to the day i die and none y'all can stop me

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Actually speaking of terrible books, and since this is the de facto battletech thread, there any fiction in this universe that's actually worth a drat (not the loving birds)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Game doesn't appear to support ultrawide screen resolutions (3440x1440) in Fullscreen mode.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is there such a thing as canonical good guys to relate to in BT, because I truly care about my character's background

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Anyone know if there is (or should be) a difference between salvaging a 'mech and selling it at a store?