Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

DOOM was really satisfying though. Getting attacked by the toughest enemy in the game and using your last chainsaw fuel on it, cutting its leg off and then it's head was just cool, man

Gibbing demons has been cool ever since 1993, when doom first demonstrated how to do it properly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

turn off the TV posted:

I enjoy playing shoot man video games because they're mechanically engaging, not because they're insanely gory and let me chop up people's bodies into tiny chunks. The FPS I have the most play time in doesn't even have blood spray.

I can't speak for everyone but personally I find it more satisfying when the enemy I kill explodes into a bunch of chunks, permanently staining the environment with blood and gore instead of just falling over with a limp thud.
The former kind of implies that whatever it is you do has a much greater force behind it, which is more satisfying in the end.

I haven't done either but I imagine it's similar to the difference between shooting a paintball gun and a real gun.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I used to love FPS games when I was younger but just can't get into them now. Bought Wolfenstein New Order during a sale, played for about an hour, and was too bored to keep going.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fartbox posted:

Now you're just being a retard

I said there was a decline in gore and specifically listed the flagship FPS games of the era and they were largely gore free. Then you listed some niche third person games as examples that ye, there was still gore. Of course there was gore but there was a lot less of it than in the early days of FPS games where pretty much everything from Duke Nukem to Half Life to Doom was ultraviolence

depends on the game/franchise. far cry was never that gory for the most part, least gameplay wise. though primal was pretty gory.

Junk posted:

Postal 2 had pretty awesome gore, you could make people throw up and then cut off their heads as they were throwing up so their neck becomes this spout of vomit splattering everywhere, but especially after the expansion pack when you could hack off individual limbs while people were still alive, so you could reduce someone to a helpless torso writhing on the ground begging for mercy as you pee on them

i need to play that game again

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Studios might've toned it down when "mature" games started becoming mainstream. Doom let you hacksaw some Imps but back then it was still more of a niche, nerd thing.

maybe. asscreed is pretty gory. though syndicate was toned down.

Jack Trades posted:

Killing Floor 2 and Shadow Warrior 2.
Killing Floor 2 even has accurate physical simulation of flesh chunks wobbling around as they fly through the air, and blood spraying and pooling around.
Shadow Warrior 2 has dynamic dismemberment based on exact angle you hack enemies at. Kinda like Metal Gear Rising but way more gory.

i need to get those someday.

Jack Trades posted:

You didn't specify that it had to be FPS games.
Still as you can see, games with gore haven't disappeared anywhere after Soldier of Fortune.

gore seems to have moved to rpgs and action games/horror games. some fps have it but not as many as some would act.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jack Trades posted:

I can't speak for everyone but personally I find it more satisfying when the enemy I kill explodes into a bunch of chunks, permanently staining the environment with blood and gore instead of just falling over with a limp thud.
The former kind of implies that whatever it is you do has a much greater force behind it, which is more satisfying in the end.

I haven't done either but I imagine it's similar to the difference between shooting a paintball gun and a real gun.

Honestly in most of the FPS games I've really enjoyed I don't pay any attention to what happens to a dude I kill because I need to immediately switch to focusing on something else. Ragdolls and gore or whatever can help this by giving visual cues, but I've never cleared an area in a shooter and then gotten upset or felt like my experience is worse because I can't then run around and cut up all the bodies or see dismembered limbs everywhere.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

turn off the TV posted:

Honestly in most of the FPS games I've really enjoyed I don't pay any attention to what happens to a dude I kill because I need to immediately switch to focusing on something else.
You don't though.
You have to be a robot to be able to switch focus so fast that you wouldn't notice what happened to the enemy you just killed.

turn off the TV posted:

Ragdolls and gore or whatever can help this by giving visual cues, but I've never cleared an area in a shooter and then gotten upset or felt like my experience is worse because I can't then run around and cut up all the bodies or see dismembered limbs everywhere.
That literally has nothing to do with what I was talking about earlier.
I honestly don't care about poking corpses either, beyond maybe once per game just to see what happens.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

https://www.change.org/p/ubisoft-cancel-far-cry-5

quote:

Enough is enough UbiSoft. We’ve sat through your multicultural lectures and your preachy games aimed at degenerates and miscegenators. We’ve tolerated it in the name of gameplay design and innovation. But no more! Far Cry 5 is an insult to your fanbase, the Americans who make up the majority of your customers, and it’s time you woke up to that fact. Change this, or cancel it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

13 people that probably believe in white genocide.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

quote:

Us Gamers have had to endure a lot of crap over the last few years. The targeted harassment by the mainstream press through Gamergate, the terrible launch and outright lies of highly anticpated video games, the outright censorship of art through “localization” policies, the continued rejection of romantic partners when they find out our hobby, the appropriation of our culture by so-called “gamers” on twitter. NO MORE!
Somehow I don't think this is intended sincerely.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jack Trades posted:

You don't though.
You have to be a robot to be able to switch focus so fast that you wouldn't notice what happened to the enemy you just killed.

I do that in games pretty frequently. You just need to get a feel for the different TTKs for the weapons you're using, and games with hit indicators make this especially easy. If you play all of your games with a universal mouse sensitivity it's possible to get to the point where you can snap to targets almost instantly. I've actually had some issues with getting the timing wrong and switching targets too early in a powerful self own.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

lol wtf.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Fartbox posted:

But I think monstrous enemies and weird stuff would be fun nowadays. It's boring to shoot mercs all the time

Give me fuckin aliens and the monster from Predator hunting the jungles

the parts of crysis where you were shooting Korean soldiers with exoskeletons was basically that but it comes right before the alien reveal which is where the game turns sharply downhill very quickly

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nigga crab pollock posted:

the parts of crysis where you were shooting Korean soldiers with exoskeletons was basically that but it comes right before the alien reveal which is where the game turns sharply downhill very quickly

yeah. i wish enemies in games had more dynamic/realistic reactions. like in the asscreed games(least the ezio ones) if you were kicking rear end, alot of the chaff enemies would loving run away. same as shadow of mordor and sorta in the arkham games.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

gonna shoot a bunch of fascist neo-nazis. Can't wait

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i wish enemies in games had more dynamic/realistic reactions. like in the asscreed games(least the ezio ones) if you were kicking rear end, alot of the chaff enemies would loving run away. same as shadow of mordor and sorta in the arkham games.

I just like games where the AI isn't omnipotent and isn't stupid. It's fun playing STALKER knowing that the AI remembers where you were, what direction you were looking in, and will actually try to move out of sight and get behind you, but since it's moving based on the last time it saw you it's possible to predict what the AI will do and flank them.

It's pretty simple, but I fight the AI in stalker largely the same way I fight real people in games like Battlefield and SQUAD.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I think violence should eventually be modeled to the point where you hack up a corpse and can look through his bloodstained wallet and see pictures of the procedurally generated family that he left behind to become a faceless mercenary that you could murder and dismember for your own amusement.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

"Oh, he had a peanut allergy. I wonder if they have peanuts in hell."

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I like the new HITMAN game because the guards will be like "OH DAMMIT HE SHOT JEROME!" when you kill one of them in front of one another.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

doctorfrog posted:

I think violence should eventually be modeled to the point where you hack up a corpse and can look through his bloodstained wallet and see pictures of the procedurally generated family that he left behind to become a faceless mercenary that you could murder and dismember for your own amusement.

thats why my favorite game is NetHack. Just kill things then eat them

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
that's what watch dogs was probably going for before they rushed that poo poo out the door before any QC passes

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

doctorfrog posted:

Alpha Protocol had the beginnings of this, with the end of mission stats telling you what the survivors' hospital bills were and how many orphans the dead left behind.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sunswipe posted:

Alpha Protocol had the beginnings of this, with the end of mission stats telling you what the survivors' hospital bills were and how many orphans the dead left behind.

Isn't that what that one game did? Reward you for being a maniac during gameplay, then chastise you later

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Isn't that what that one game did? Reward you for being a maniac during gameplay, then chastise you later

Spec Ops: The Line is probably what you're thinking of. There's a part where you get to shoot white phosphorous at a ton of people in huge crowds and then the protagonist finds out that they were women and children and walks around their hosed up corpses.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 28, 2017

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

turn off the TV posted:

Spec Ops: The Line is probably what you're thinking of. There's a part where you get to shoot white phosphorous at a ton of people in huge crowds and then the protagonist finds out that they were women and children and walks around their hosed up corpses.

yeah, thats the one. I would have felt really bad about doing that if it wasn't a god drat video game

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

turn off the TV posted:

you're telling me these people got hit with WP and they still have intact clothing? videogame developers afraid their audience cant handle charred NAKED corpses? please

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Pitdragon posted:

you're telling me these people got hit with WP and they still have intact clothing? videogame developers afraid their audience cant handle charred NAKED corpses? please

it was pretty loving dumb

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
Make America GAME Again

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

phallocentriloquist posted:

Make America GAME Again

it will take me 17teen hours! let me know when we are gonna kill Nazi

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

it was pretty loving dumb

seems like a shame to put so much effort into making twisted looking corpses and not even have them come back as zombies for the player to fight

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

gonna shoot a bunch of fascist neo-nazis. Can't wait
:same: I don't even like Farcry but this is like catnip.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Pitdragon posted:

seems like a shame to put so much effort into making twisted looking corpses and not even have them come back as zombies for the player to fight

I would agree if i could understand what you said

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Pitdragon posted:

I never actually finished that game. Don't tell any one

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Far Cry 13: Black Friday the 13th

Dash through a mall on black friday to pick up the hot new Far Cry 14 game from gamester

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

mind the walrus posted:

:same: I don't even like Farcry but this is like catnip.

Farcry sucked. But Farcry 3 was one of the best games ever

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it was a game like 100% about physics tossing poo poo around and ragdolls were more tossable than gibs

DID SOMEONE SAY BULLETSTORM?!?!?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Jerry Cotton posted:

DID SOMEONE SAY BULLETSTORM?!?!?

"You'll kill my dick? I don't even know what that means!"

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Bulletstorm is a good and funny game

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Bulletstorm is a good and funny game

It has its moments.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Jerry Cotton posted:

It has its moments.

yep, its pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Hacking a guy up with the battle axe in gtav made me wonder for a split second why enjoyed it so much

• Locked thread