Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder how the plot is going to explain why the US doesn't just send the army in?

Though that would be a fun final chapter, you alert the government and the FBI, ATF and National Guard show up and just wipe everyone out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mordja posted:

Actually most indie games trade in bland procedural generation these days.

It's kind of annoying because I really like procedural games and all the lovely me-too games are giving the whole thing a bad name.

I've bought every version of Binding of Isaac that's come out for a reason. That's how you do that poo poo right.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

turn off the TV posted:

I enjoy playing shoot man video games because they're mechanically engaging, not because they're insanely gory and let me chop up people's bodies into tiny chunks. The FPS I have the most play time in doesn't even have blood spray.

It's just like movies, the rating should fit the tone and purpose of the game, but studios often try to jam things to fit a certain mold and demographic. Why everyone was scared that Fox would only learn "R rated violent movies are gold" from Deadpool and not "An R rated character should get an R rated movie." Also why people were surprised when Logan turned out to be a legitimately good movie and not just a dumb Wolverine flick with STAB STAB STAB.

Ultra violence is great in a movie or game that should be ultra violent (Doom, Rambo, Killing Floor, Dredd, etc.) but a game with a lighter tone doesn't need the same level of violence. Honestly this is a bigger problem with film than games though, with violent/dark material getting neutered into PG13 and other stuff being pushed into an R with terrible CGI blood and an inserted gently caress or two.

One of the more interesting examples are actually two of the most notoriously violent games, Grand Theft Auto and Saint's Row. Both are notoriously bloody, violent and R rated yet there's no gibs and the blood wouldn't even be PG, because there is a sense of hyper-realism about it all, a hint of a tongue being held in the cheek when you run over a beach full of people from stopping it getting too dark. Which was a wise use of restraint.

ED: Oh yeah, one more interesting example. The original (they changed it) Left 4 Dead 2 in Australia vs the PC one. It simply is not remotely as satisfying when you can't blow the zombies into showers of limbs. It doesn't fit the tone to censor it.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 2, 2017

• Locked thread