Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

numberoneposter posted:

how are they going to explain away the mass murder of americans at the hands of the so called protagonist without the national guard or FBI showing up???

The plot of the game is that an insane doomsday prepper/freeman of the land cult takes over part of Montana, so judging by the stars under the logo I'm guessing that you play as the feds.

This game is a Bundy siege simulator.

E: also one of the antagonists is Tom Cruise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

big nipples big life posted:

ubi thinks mountain folk look like seattle hipsters and since you get to shoot them I don't really think this is bad.

No they're pretty spot on for Montana people. Crazy rural people in Montana aren't rednecks, they're the guys building bunkers and forming heavily armed militias to fight the US military.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

imho they should make the protagonist a black man who is married to a white woman, maybe also a muslim

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jack Trades posted:

It should be built around 3 player coop.
The protagonists would be a white guy, his white wife and her muslim boyfriend.

ftfy

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Kopijeger posted:

Come to think of it, the only way the premise could possibly work (armed cult kidnaps unwilling citizens from US town, does not get supressed by FBI/National Guard in return) is if society has already broken down to the extent that there is no state or federal authority ready to intervene.

Not really. There are parts of Wyoming that become basically cut off from the rest of civilization throughout a lot of the winter and spring because of the snow.

On the other hand, this game appears to take place during the early fall so :shrug:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Buckwheat County Montana, in a contemporary setting with smart phones

These are mutually exclusive.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

nigga crab pollock posted:

no its gonna be a really really lovely game but its going to effortlessly nail the religious undertones that bioshock tried to aim for in the 3 or so scripted storyline sequences this game contains, and unilaterally get 10/10 goty even though its going to use the same engine and gameplay code from the last 4 far cry games and be basically identical

The game's director said that the entire gameplay model is designed to be a gigantic version of one of the outposts from the earlier games, so if what he says rings true you may only climb up and zip line off of one water tower in the whole game. Pretty groundbreaking stuff.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

nigga crab pollock posted:

the core problem with ubisoft games is the icons, it removes the suspense and uncertainty from the game world and im sorry i don't play games to be bombarded with a visually overwhelming but ultimately mindless stream of stimuli, i like suspense and uncertainty. like far cry 3 might even be a good game if they didn't literally point out every wild animal in a 15 mile radius of dense jungle with giant neon arrows and expect you to find them threatening

like they run counter to what you would expect the design goals of these games to be and the fact that its a repeated thing they do in every game betrays the fact that they have no interest in making game design decisions based on gameplay, they just churn out games to a design specification

You can turn off most or all of the HUD options in 4, if I recall correctly.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Maya Fey posted:

they make the same game over and over and it's all the same tedious open world busywork poo poo with mediocre and repetitive gameplay. at this stage i wonder if it's even worth it, people actually cry when games are too long now so they might be better off working on well designed discrete levels rather than making giant empty open worlds to do 600 identical fetch quests in

Giant open world games can be fun if there are good mechanics supporting it. If the outposts in Far Cry games were actually treated as controllable objectives ala STALKER: Clear Sky the games would instantly become very cool.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Maya Fey posted:

i'm not sure this site is accurate, there's an estimated 1.7M doom owners on steam alone and it only shows 0.3M for PC. does it only track physical? in any case i'm talking about the reception of those games, doom got excellent reviews and word of mouth despite everything about it looking like poo poo during development and both mgsv/me2 were criticized for the usual "open world with nothing in it" poo poo plaguing AAA releases.

PC digital distribution isn't always being recorded properly. I read an article a few days ago about how one of the sales aggregators finally got access to some digital data and the numbers were like 5-6 times higher than physical sales.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Let us English posted:

You do know Montana has wolves and grizzly bears, elk, and moose that will all gently caress your poo poo up, right?

Don't forget buffalo, which enjoy killing people.

e: also cougars

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

BexGu posted:

Its mostly people jerking off about how many white Trump Supports/Redpills they are going to be killing.

Funny, nobody blinked an eye at the Call of Duty reveal.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Xaris posted:

i love my tecch bro and asian touristy j-hole

also last time near old faithful was a shitton of people saying the god drat stupidest poo poo, it was almost mindblowing. not to mention all the idiots putting them or their kids in danger,

https://www.tetongravity.com/story/culture/yellowstone-rangers-walk-off-job-in-protest-of-tourist-stupidity satire but lmao thats seriously the kind of poo poo people do

Lol I went to Yellowstone and couldn't believe how loving true all of this is. I saw people approaching a mother moose and her calf, walking up to buffalo and trying to encircle a bear.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Fartbox posted:

Original FarCry was good until your main enemy became monstermonkeys or whatever

I think that complaint stuck with them too because all the other farcrys didn't really have a mad scientist creating monster apes and stuff and instead we just got endless droves of mercs

Much like how every video I've ever seen of the first Crises game is just loving with North Koreans.

Fartbox posted:

But I think monstrous enemies and weird stuff would be fun nowadays. It's boring to shoot mercs all the time

Give me fuckin aliens and the monster from Predator hunting the jungles

New Order did a pretty good job of balancing the amount of weird nonhuman enemies.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Fartbox posted:

New Order was good. Are they making a sequel? It did okay didn't it?

There's a Bethesda project called New Colossus that was in a non alphabatised list below New Order and Old Blood at their E3 show last year.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Halo is also an example of a game with pretty fun enemies to fight for the first half of the game, and then th flood show up and poo poo starts going downhill fast.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

a bone to pick posted:

I never understood or agreed with this criticism.

The flood are just less interesting to fight. All that I can remember them doing is running towards you. There are ones that run at you with guns and there are two sizes of one that walks at you and explode.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

a bone to pick posted:

Yeah but it's literally a "flood" of zombie aliens pouring in at you. It gets really tense when they show up, for instance The Library is one of the hardest missions in Halo. It feels like a real alien zombie invasion sometimes which is why I was never bored fighting them.

That's easily my least favorite mission of the game. It's tense because there's a good chance that if you die you're going to lose a decent chunk of progress and have to deal with more of a boring rear end slog. The last flood levels of Halo 3 basically jacked up this issue to an absurd level by throwing you into an incredibly drab brown gauntlet of bullet sponges.

Fartbox posted:

I never played any of the other haloeses

What was the continued story like?

It turns out there are more halos and more flood and more covenant and master chief goes to the halo factory and blows it up.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

When master chief blows up the halo factory (I think it's called the ark?) cortana turns not evil again and they fly off into the horizon on a spaceship, never to be seen again until the sequel where they're fighting more covenant but this time the halo is an inside out planet. I'm not sure if there are still flood. I think that there are robots. In Halo 5 there is a second master chief and he wants to kill the first master chief, who is apparently bad and not good.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

WaryWarren posted:

also, holy gently caress, i never knew there were so many gaming nerds on this dead gae forum.

I'm pretty sure that games is the largest subforum.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tumble posted:

you know wat i wish this game would have? some good loving gore.

how come gore in video games peaked with Soldier of Fortune 2, a game that came out in 2002?

lol look at this noob

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I don't understand the appeal of gore in most video games. It's cool in games like Dead Space where it's actually a part of the gameplay, but most of the time it's just dumb and kind of creepy.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tumble posted:

You're still reading and posting in a thread about a first-person shooter game though, so don't act like you're not on board with shooting people to death in a video game and talking about it online

I enjoy playing shoot man video games because they're mechanically engaging, not because they're insanely gory and let me chop up people's bodies into tiny chunks. The FPS I have the most play time in doesn't even have blood spray.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jack Trades posted:

I can't speak for everyone but personally I find it more satisfying when the enemy I kill explodes into a bunch of chunks, permanently staining the environment with blood and gore instead of just falling over with a limp thud.
The former kind of implies that whatever it is you do has a much greater force behind it, which is more satisfying in the end.

I haven't done either but I imagine it's similar to the difference between shooting a paintball gun and a real gun.

Honestly in most of the FPS games I've really enjoyed I don't pay any attention to what happens to a dude I kill because I need to immediately switch to focusing on something else. Ragdolls and gore or whatever can help this by giving visual cues, but I've never cleared an area in a shooter and then gotten upset or felt like my experience is worse because I can't then run around and cut up all the bodies or see dismembered limbs everywhere.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jack Trades posted:

You don't though.
You have to be a robot to be able to switch focus so fast that you wouldn't notice what happened to the enemy you just killed.

I do that in games pretty frequently. You just need to get a feel for the different TTKs for the weapons you're using, and games with hit indicators make this especially easy. If you play all of your games with a universal mouse sensitivity it's possible to get to the point where you can snap to targets almost instantly. I've actually had some issues with getting the timing wrong and switching targets too early in a powerful self own.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i wish enemies in games had more dynamic/realistic reactions. like in the asscreed games(least the ezio ones) if you were kicking rear end, alot of the chaff enemies would loving run away. same as shadow of mordor and sorta in the arkham games.

I just like games where the AI isn't omnipotent and isn't stupid. It's fun playing STALKER knowing that the AI remembers where you were, what direction you were looking in, and will actually try to move out of sight and get behind you, but since it's moving based on the last time it saw you it's possible to predict what the AI will do and flank them.

It's pretty simple, but I fight the AI in stalker largely the same way I fight real people in games like Battlefield and SQUAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Isn't that what that one game did? Reward you for being a maniac during gameplay, then chastise you later

Spec Ops: The Line is probably what you're thinking of. There's a part where you get to shoot white phosphorous at a ton of people in huge crowds and then the protagonist finds out that they were women and children and walks around their hosed up corpses.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 28, 2017

• Locked thread