Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurker Ant
Nov 16, 2016

Three Olives posted:

The guy I stick my penis into.

Then why not say boyfriend/husband instead of making people play the "gay or nay" guessing game?

Seriously, I'm gay and this "partner" stuff annoys the piss out of me. I know it's an attempt at solidarity, but gay marriage is legal now so I think the sun has set on that particular gesture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurker Ant
Nov 16, 2016

Three Olives posted:

Because we aren't married and I think boyfriend trivializes a mature committed relationship to a level that high schoolers routinely use to profess their idiotic naive infatuation with people they are dating?

At least "boyfriend" sounds romantic. "Partner" sounds like a hiking buddy.

Lurker Ant
Nov 16, 2016

Lolie posted:

A lot of unmarried straight people in committed relationships use "partner", too.

I know, that's my point. Straight people started using partner (a term that originated with civil unions, a form of proto-gay marriage where two people became "life partners" and were considered legally equivalent to a married couple) as a way of expressing companionship with the gay community. Which is a nice gesture, but now that us gay folk can actually get married and nobody does civil unions anymore I don't think it needs to remain in the common vernacular. It's downright annoying when you see people use it in the r/relationships thread and the entire next page of replies is "what gender is your partner?" when they could have said boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife and avoided all of that.

quote:

I also don't think anyone has to play the "gay or nay" game with 3o.

Well, yeah. I just mean in general.

• Locked thread