Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The fun in BoI is the crazy upgrade synergies you can get if you can avoid death long enough (and if you're very lucky, that doesn't have to be long) because there are tons of them and outside of a dozen very specific items none of them make it harder to kill things or survive. Of those specific exceptions several will make the run if collected right away and you're used to their drawbacks and/or get things to make any usage problems go away; very few actively 100% bad items exist and even some of those can actually get saved. Unlike Gungeon or other later arena-ish roguelikes things aren't really balanced around being anything but awesome shattering power when combined, and that's when I feel like it's at its most fun. It's just too bad Edmund lost sight of that and started making weird choices to try and make it harder in Afterbirth.

I don't know for sure what if anything you have to do to unlock the Dr. Fetus challenge but once I got used to that and beat it I really liked it thanks to it being very poor player friendly so long as you are at least good enough to avoid the obvious downside (being able to find secret rooms for free helped as well). Brimstone is available at the start though and the only issues with that are having to dodge for longer and look up ahead of time items that will mess it up (also you'll see it in a devil room probably before you see it as a regular treasure).

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Nongunz is extremely creative and I really dig the aesthetic. Dunno how good I'd be at playing it though with that death penalty, maybe if I went on enough card hoard runs I could get myself in a proper preemptive healing mindset and not be tempted to risk hits without burning resources like I usually do.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I'm not really sure how else that could have ended and still fit the aesthetic.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Catacomb Kids.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Not the Robots because I want to see how stealth furniture eating works.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Renowned Explorers because I haven't seen a lot of that past the trailers.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I like that the player ghosts can help just as effectively as they can hurt the living players. It wouldn't be Spelunky if friendly fire weren't just as lethal as being stupid by yourself is though!

e: Spectacles also let you see items hidden in blocks (not just treasure either, anything you could buy at a store can randomly show up in a block), much like the guaranteed item in the locked chest you kept seeing in the mine. The ability to see better in the dark levels is unique to the spectacles though. As for the 'hulk hands' they let you Spiderman up walls which makes them awesome for their price.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Aug 8, 2017

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Full Mojo Rampage sounds neat.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I'd like to see Has-Been Heroes. Also definitely appreciate that the berserker class can with skillful axing + cooldown reduction render bullet hell into pieces in Dungeon Souls, makes getting in monster face and kicking rear end the old-fashioned way real good.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Tomb of Tyrants

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I'd say Tomb of Tyrants doesn't necessarily require a lot of practice, but it definitely requires time invested to get as much stuff unlocked as possible. Being competent at match-3 is enough to buy all the floors and finish a few unlocks, but it feels like there's a soft cap on how long you can actually hold out before even being a match-3 master with some kind of speed hack wouldn't be enough to save your current run while it lacks floors/traps/monsters to kick butt properly. It'd be interesting to see if that weren't the case though!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Caveblazers because I've already seen the other options.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

biosterous posted:

????

Risk of Rain:

Serious Sam:

Cassa probably meant Immortal Redneck looked like Serious Sam.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Gloom for sure.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Receiver because that's a real good standout.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

If there were only turrets Receiver would still be difficult and tense but it'd be ultimately manageable even at the heavy counts you ran into. But yeah gently caress drones in their ear, the only answer to them is hallways and even then you get one chance to tag them before they zoom straight into you if they've followed you in.

Unexplored gets talked up a lot for its complicated random dungeon generator so it should be interesting to see how that plays out.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

CirclMastr posted:

Noir Syndrome because I desperately want it to not suck.

I'm sorry but the random gen in that game is on the opposite end of the random gen complexity spectrum from Unexplored.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Risk of Rain because that's guaranteed to be a fun watch.

Tenebrais posted:

That was... extremely lightweight and didn't tie together very well. Go places at random and hope to find clues. There were a man's fingerprints in this tailor shop that I randomly stumbled into! Our culprit must be a man!

...seems like a good base for how you could do the concept better though. It's got half of the idea, just... needs to tie it together better.

Yeah if it had more robust and coherent random generation for the plots and clues, it'd be more impressive, but as it is I found it seriously lacking in replay value.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

It's hard but it looks like if you know what you're doing you gain steam enough to become an awesome power of destruction. I never figured out how to know what I was doing though. :saddowns:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Dead Cells because really, that should be plenty big enough for your old man eyes.

e: Commando is what put me off of the game for a long time too. Making the starter class fun and viable should be every games' goal - it doesn't matter if your other classes are better if players don't or can't unlock them. But I knew there was more to the game than that and I'd at least tasted what the game could be so I had to pick it anyway. Also you don't really have to edit your mantra much; gently caress enemy drones. Helper drones are great.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 15, 2017

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Felinoid posted:

Overfall

Also haven't you already done Monolith? Or am I confusing this with a stream I watched.

Second one!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

the littlest prince posted:

Dead Cells is a fantastic game that literally everyone in this thread should buy.

Indeed and that's why we should show off Dead Cells so that everyone watching the videos buys it. :v:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

In Celebration of Violence because it reminds me of IVAN and I want to believe.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Yeah, my vote is somewhat contrary but Sunless Sea should be a good palate cleanser assuming that wins.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Kingsway gets the old Windows feel down pat. I guess maybe there are too many colors for 3.1 but it and 95 are obvious inspirations. The moving windows are not super great but removing that mechanic would probably remove all tension from combat and traps, not to mention it makes it a bit easier to spot traps and re-find combat windows in the horrible event one got hidden.

Bunker Punks because that sounds interesting even if it's Early Access.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Didn't you say Vigilance was a good skill in the first video? Did you just pass over that because you forgot you wanted it or because it's actually not good?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

the littlest prince posted:

This looks kind of like Steamworld Dig which is a good game.

No offense but it looks about as much like Steamworld Dig as Ruin of the Reckless looks like Hyper Light Drifter. They might still be okay games in spite of the resemblance being kinda superficial but this round I'm going with the bandwagon. Moon Hunters it is.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Last Transmission posted:

STRAFE. I want to see you shoot some poo poo.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

NHO posted:

Moon Hunters looked like a half of very cool game. Art's pretty, actual combat... underwhelming.

Yeah, it's really disappointing. The art and concept are so neat and then the combat is just sort of there.

Looking up STRAFE I'm really wishing Immortal Redneck was up instead, but not quite bad enough to change my vote.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Your ammo probably would have lasted longer if you'd noticed that every time you reload you throw the rest of the 40-odd bullets in the current magazine away. :v: Of course even DOOM didn't have magazine tracking so it's more STRAFE's fault for not emphasizing that little feature.

e: Great minds etc. etc. On another note this sort of seemingly minor but actually strategy-impactful change to gameplay more than anything else can be attributed to STRAFE ultimately being a failure - there's potentially a decent game there and it got plenty of love, but it doesn't know what kind of oldschool FPS it wants to be and just threw in features that don't work together making a huge mess of the experience.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 3, 2018

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Dang that's short. I figured there'd be at least one if not two more areas than that you just... er, tastefully avoided spoiling on stream. :v:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Judging by the trailers and some reviews we have:

Ascendant - acclaimed for being good looking and having solid combat, but has some small disappointments
Heart&Slash - maybe got polish issues but the design is charming and potentially the most fun of the three
Exanima - Diablo 1 vibes make me really want to see it in spite of the combat looking like sub-par Dark Souls style and probably having more than a little unfun jankiness (if you do not believe some jankiness can be fun you have no soul)

I really want to believe in Exanima but deep in my heart I know Heart&Slash is the better bet. Seeing plenty of other people are intrigued though has changed my vote! Exanima

e: Also I'm so glad that even though you're really good at games you still have just as much trouble successfully docking with ships as me.

Something else! You can throw weapons with T after you have used them, and then teleport them back once they've successfully connected with their target. Using this allows you to stretch two melee weapons to four or even five targets with judicious use of pausing, assuming you can get in dash range before your targets are fully alerted. I still prefer two silenced quickfire shotguns as the mission permits, of course, since unlike dashing bullets have no range limit, but it's a very viable means to quickly jump back into harder missions with a fresh character (barring guards with armor or shields, anyway).

The box that appears under some guards means they have an extra item that is not part of the kit you get briefed on in mission selection. It's usually not as special as the items you can find in crates but it never hurts to check the pause screen before leaving a ship/going to home base and for a fresh character that's at worst extra credits and at best makes a run you otherwise wouldn't bother with something you can beat.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 26, 2018

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Two things about the last run: First of all, your game didn't glitch out, your rechargeable items always recharge when you get to a station even if you're still technically on a mission. It definitely feels a bit cheaty to stop a mission halfway to refill but if it was actually unintended I'm sure it'd have been removed by now. Secondly, something you didn't go into (because you didn't actually take any lethal injuries, incredibly enough) is that said lethal injuries permanently reduce the amount of time you can survive getting spaced so usually fumbling around with active turrets is an awful idea if you have any interest in going on more missions with the character. After 10 of them you will immediately die upon being thrown out of a ship, although in practice 6 or 7 will probably do it. That said, there's an unlockable way to mostly mitigate this mechanic and said way comes with a bonus ability that makes it considerably easier to pull off kidnap/rescue missions.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

For whatever it's worth, I'm sorry. I should have known expecting more out of the game than the trailer showed was a mistake.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Felinoid posted:

Octodad is fun, though. This seems more like Bad Rats level random physics fuckery.

Also, obligatory :psyduck: What the gently caress why does this even exist?!

Bad Rats level random physics fuckery would have way funnier takes than what we got here. This is a much more pedestrian level of bad; whoever did this has at least some idea how to code right but is clueless about how to take the one idea they had for a game and make it interesting or fun. I would have loved it if the physics had been insane and you could have thrown yourself through the floor or ceiling, but alas, it was just competent enough to be bad and boring.

On a different note, it seems like getting the zombies to fight and kill each other was probably the best and easiest way to progress. Train the zombies with gear you want against other zombies until they die, then get their killers caught up elsewhere so you can loot in peace, repeat ad infinitum. Beats the hell out of trying to hit the assholes yourself at least with the combat system as bad as it is.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Apology vote for Convoy.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Welp. I don't know any of these next options but Vintage Year has the most unique theme so let's go with that.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Gotta vote DSD for promise value.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I have a soft spot for Zeno Clash, so Spartan Fist it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Not bad. Not exactly to my taste (the particle and blur effects are a bit much) and kind of short, but a decent game all the same.

I think I heard Legend of Dungeon was cool so let's go with that.