Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hello football friends, the Football Association Challenge Cup final is today. Arsenal are playing Chelsea.

The teams have already been announced:

Arsenal: Ospina, Holding, Mertesacker, Monreal, Bellerin, Ramsey, Xhaka, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ozil, Welbeck, Sanchez.

Chelsea: Courtois, Azpilicueta, Luiz, Cahill, Moses, Kante, Matic, Alonso, Pedro, Costa, Hazard.

Referee: Anthony Taylor.

The Guardian has a rundown of the teams:

quote:

Arsenal have a few defensive issues, it’s fair to say. It’s the first time their back three of Rob Holding, Per Mertesacker and Nacho Monreal have ever started together. Mertesacker has played just 37 minutes worth of football in the past 13 months. David Ospina gets in ahead of Petr Cech, as is the usual way of things in the cups when he’s fit. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain returns from a hamstring problem to hold the fort out on the left.

No great issues for Chelsea, nor are there any major surprises. Nemanja Matic gets the nod over Cesc Fabregas, while Pedro is preferred to Willian. This will be the seventh final John Terry has been involved in, and the third where he starts on the bench. Since you ask: he captained Chelsea in 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2012, got on late in 2002, and watched the whole thing in 2000. There’s nothing much left for him to experience, except possibly coming on in the 88th minute and being carried off on 89 in a sedan chair.

That's it really. Enjoy the match. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
God they let the Arsenal Fan TV guy on the BBC

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
That defense :stare: starting Welbeck was prob a good idea though, assuming he's on the wing.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
For the record this is the sixth time two teams from London have met in the final.

Chelsea are playing for their second-ever League and FA Cup Double, while Arsenal are trying to win their third FA Cup in four seasons, which would also make them the winningest team in the competition's history. The current leaderboard is:

quote:

12: Arsenal, Manchester United
8: Tottenham Hotspur
7: Aston Villa, Liverpool, Chelsea

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

we could see a thrashing, look at that defense

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I believe the chels will win this

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I'm just here for the post match announcement of wenger's contract extension

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Arsene Wenger says he is a victim of crimes against humanity:

quote:

And now it’s the turn of Arsene Wenger, who would become the most successful manager in FA Cup history if he wins the trophy for the seventh time today, beating the record he currently holds with Aston Villa legend George Ramsay. “We have worked hard to get here, and we want to win the competition. Last night we lost Kieran Gibbs who went home sick, so the decision to name the team was not so difficult as we do not have too many defenders left. I believe that 99 percent of the Arsenal fans are fantastic people who stand behind the team, and you want to play for them.” That last, fairly pointed, line was in response to a follow-up question about his interview with the BBC’s Football Focus earlier today, in which he said: “The lack of respect has been for me a disgrace, and I will never accept that. There is a difference between being criticised and being treated in a way in which human beings don’t deserve to be treated.” Whatever the outcome today, the post-match press conferences will be worth a listen, I’ll be bound.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
What do they do with that big stadium in shithouse wales now that the FA cup is back at Wembley

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

they've chosen to do an entire pre-match special on mesut ozil, it's pretty decent

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

African AIDS cum posted:

What do they do with that big stadium in shithouse wales now that the FA cup is back at Wembley

It was built for rugby so I assume they still use it for that.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

African AIDS cum posted:

it's used as an excellent vehicle for wales to be the eighth best team in a sport that's played professionally by ten countries

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

ready for some football

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I would like football to continue where possible

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Gawd save er

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Why isn't he playing Sanchez as the striker

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

cup keeper is the dumbest thing ever, play petr cech when you can

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Jose posted:

they don't stay in position anyway

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Vegetable posted:

cup keeper is the dumbest thing ever, play petr cech when you can

Oh I thought Cech was injured but he's on the bench

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
My guess here: Chelsea will win!

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Jose posted:

Wengy's secret tactics

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

I'm looking forward to Chelsea demolishing Arsenal and then Wengy coming out and announcing his contract extension next week.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

walcott's scored 19 goals this season and still has to sit on the bench, i'm pissed af

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
Bellerin youre supposed to have the band on your arm

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Quality moment of silence there

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Vegetable posted:

walcott's scored 19 goals this season and still has to sit on the bench, i'm pissed af

The handling of both Walcott and Iwobi has been bizarre this season

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

i would ideally like a game where the score is a funny number and blud man and neck tattoo man have a fight in the stand

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I hope the Chels win because I've got money on it and Wengy is a bad fail old man who must walk.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I would like Arsenal to win and Costa to do something mental

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Come on lads, lets football the poo poo out of this stadium. I want people to walk out of Wembley today saying "thats enough football for me, I'm all footballed out on this fine footballing occasion".

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Already delivering on the funny

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

That looked odd.....

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
gently caress off oval office ref

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

gently caress YESSSSS

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
privacy publicly displayed
Big LOL. Nice work Chels

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

:getin:

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
:getin:

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

But let's not have video replay because it'll slow the game down right lads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
big laughs at everything about that goal

• Locked thread