Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Your life is lovely because you are a stupid person that makes bad decisions, and you'd still be stupid and making bad decisions if you lived in a hard drive. Hopes this helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Again, you are a retarded person. You as an immortal would just be you being miserable and making stupid decisions forever. "But when we are all just code we will program ourselves better" says the stupid idiot that never did anything right in their whole life. You'll gently caress that up too. Namaste.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Broccoli Cat posted:

this is my bayesian inference that somehow we'll make something that thinks without self-defeating hormones, instinct or subconscious.

Wouldn't matter, we'd sabotage it with *our* hormones, instinct, and subconscious desires. Nobody gets free of their innate weakness, and we die out as stupid pointless ape babies. Technology will not save you.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Broccoli Cat posted:

because organic life, and animal brains, as a support structure for consciousness, is a desperate chemical competition for limited resources, resulting in every horror that exists in the world today, from gossip to genocide.

Everything takes resources, and still would in any of these theoretical futures. Resources would always be limited. Exactly how long do you imagine the resources of this solar system could maintain billions of intelligences that never stop, and the simulated reality they would live in? Because brain uploading, as stupid as it's tech rapture bullshit is? Is infinitely more likely than us ever managing to get out of this solar system in any meaningful way. So that's it, look around. These rocks and swirling masses of gas and that sun? That's about all we have to work with unless we have some insane breakthrough before we burn out. How long you think you are stretching all it?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Yeah once Jesus comes back things will be awesome forever, but I was talking about reality and not magic.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Broccoli Cat posted:

but jesus is fake, and computers are real.

Jesus very well could have been real, the stuff you are talking about isn't and won't be. Arguably, can't be. Physics doesn't stop existing just because you don't want to die.

Point, Jesus.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Why does it matter how history judges him? If his goal was "become president" then was he intelligent in regards to that specific goal, yes or no?

Not really. He made a lot of unforced errors and arguably had it as a tighter race than it needed to be. Didn't even win the popular vote in the end. Considering the nature of the conflict, he wins because Hillary Clinton was worse at the goal than he was, not because he was particularly good at it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Broccoli Cat posted:

the modified apes will be efficiently miserable

the machine gods will have paradise

Nah, I'm pretty sure they'll wait for everyone else to be uploaded then send a server update that they are about to blow up the servers and there's nothing any of the e-people can do about it. Because, you know, spite is a beautiful if self-destructive emotion.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
That's stupid, if you could make anyone into whatever you wanted nobody is useless or forgettable. They are all assets, and indeed all equally useful assets. That would be the point of the exercise from your perspective. Making people machine gods. Ok, well, turns out everyone is super patriotic American machine gods, working for the good of the status quo as we define it. Because we are the ones programming the machine gods.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Broccoli Cat posted:

no it turns everyone into this

No, it turns them into that with truck nuts hanging off the side because I loving say so. Now photoshop truck nuts on that.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Who What Now posted:

and they don't have the right to vote.

Oh cool, so you are saying that felons aren't really people.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Blockade posted:

Every time you sleep is a break in continuity.

Falling asleep is basically suicide :colbert:

What made you think "you" stop happening when you sleep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Unless you're positing that there's some magical inner knowledge that doesn't actually stop when you sleep or forget stuff which seems unlikely tbh.

Putting aside the unsettled issue of lucid dreaming, the fact is every part of your mind and body is still working while you are asleep. It's why people can incorporate sounds and smells around their body into their dreaming and remember them upon waking. poo poo is still happening, "you" aren't flicked off when sleep happens. Sure you have an altered state of consciousness, but gently caress, tons of things alter our state of consciousness. Why does sleep get a special place, because that tiny iceberg floating out of the sea of the unconscious that is the voice in your head people think of as "them" isn't quite as clear?

• Locked thread