Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Our long national nightmare is over, Sieg is back and ready for action.

Oh and I guess Kloe's there too, whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I like how the game doesn't even bother to show us the Estelle-Joshua conversation at the end of the door because we've been with these characters long enough to know exactly how it goes down. :allears:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

AradoBalanga posted:

^^^E: Fair enough.

Ah, whoops. Misread that line.

Wait, then why is Kevin being coy about admitting he killed Weissmann? You'd think he'd at least be able to say, "yeah, that motherfucker is like super dead".

No one in the party (Ries excepted of course) ever found out that Kevin was a Dominion and that the whole reason he was even involved with them in the first place was to assassinate Weissmann. Keeping everything about that on the down low is pretty important as far as he's concerned.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I picked an absolutely awful party for the Silver Road (Julia, Josette, Kloe), considering I was on Hard difficulty, and certainly paid for it since even the regular encounters became really dicey affairs. Thank goodness for the new and improved (very very very improved) Sanctus Nova, that bailed me out hard against this boss.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

My favorite part of this scene is imagining Joshua being some secret uber stalker, keeping tabs on every single person Estelle meets and every person those people meet and so on every day while they're travelling without end all while Estelle is none the wiser.

Well it's funny to me.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Re: Joshua knowing about Kevin but Weissmann not, it's possible Joshua just has better information gathering skills and contacts than Weissmann on account of that being his specialty. What I find more likely though is what's actually stated in SC, that Weissmann had such extreme tunnel vision centered on Cassius and his actions that he paid no more than cursory attention to what anyone else, including Estelle and her party, were doing. I mean think about it, from his perspective Estelle's party should barely be a problem since in the worst case he can just activate Joshua's stigma and be done with it.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

All this talk about Lechter but everyone is ignoring the giant elephant in the room, the shocking revelation hidden innocuously in this Moon Door that threatens to shatter the very nature of this game series' universe.

We found out Anton's backstory.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Glazius posted:

I'm not complaining about this at all, but it really feels like this game is just all the sidestories they ever wanted to tell but couldn't find a way to work in.

My completely unfounded suspicion is that Falcom made a conscious decision not to rely on flashbacks or anything of that sort when making these games but at the same time when this series got big and it became clear it was going to be a very long term thing they needed to establish some additional context about their world and about certain characters for future games to draw from. Thus we have The 3rd, a game where they can get all the requisite flashbacks/sidestories/etc out of their system before they continue the story proper, while also using Kevin's protagonist viewpoint to develop the Septian Church, while also being able to sell a brand new game for actual money to fans while reusing 80% of their assets from the previous games in a completely justifiable manner.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Japan why you gotta make things weird?

Anywho, now that we have Agate back... :getin:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

If you don't like Erika's Success Dance then you have no soul.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Basically the only true weaknesses of Orbel Gear Tita are that she has no S-Craft and you have to waste a turn to enable it. Also I guess walled by high DEF monsters but those are pretty rare anyway.

Otherwise it's nothing but straight :getin:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

When I played I didn't realize how much I missed Estelle until I got her back. :allears:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Yep, after I finished the first level I nope'd out of there immediately and never touched it again. Unnecessary fishing minigames, the bane of all JRPGs :argh:

On the bright side though, Puyo Puyo Estelle is by far the best sprite in the game.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

My favorite part of this door is probably when Estelle reaches the clock tower and talks with the Mayor. It's a pretty powerful character moment for Estelle given how brief and incidental it is. The contrast between how bright and energetic her interactions with everyone else have been and the calm, almost detached manner she addresses the Mayor says everything you need to know.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

nrook posted:

Was Trails the 3rd rushed in development at all? I'm surprised Falcom released it without noticing such a massive bug.

Joshua said it was no big deal so they left it in.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I thought this was just some cheeky localization on XSeed's part at first but nope, that's literally the line in the original version as well :allears:

And oh boy Richard. Just... Richard :getin:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

You know I can buy a vast acceleration of industrialization based on the discovery of septium and orbal energy, but I feel like it wouldn't have done much to speed up the development of 20th century computing like it seems to be doing here. "Limitless amount of clean energy" is still quite a ways off from a transistor.

Maybe the lack of heat generation made vacuum tube development and miniaturization more practical. :v:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Wait the spider mama's appearance is tied to a particular spider? I thought it just kinda showed up when you killed any one of them.

Wish I knew that. :suicide:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Cryohazard posted:

Turns out this is all just Gilbert's A Christmas Carol.

So who would be the ghosts of past, present, and future respectively then?

Just kidding, we all know it's Campanella. As all of them.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

It was quite jarring hearing The Final Choice all of a sudden and realizing that it was actually used in this game first. Its usage in Cold Steel was similarly grandiose.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I killed entirely too many red knights before I caught on to what was going on :argh:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

My favorite trend of the Trails series in general is that no matter how special and super awesome the teenagers and young adults we play as are, the actual adults and seasoned veterans are even moreso. :allears:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

NotASmartMan posted:

Considering how much looting Estelle and co have done in FC and SC, there must be lots of disappointed treasure hunters in Liberl.

Also poor Clint. At least Black is a better wrong name than Onion.

Come on, having it be a running joke in the game is one thing, but messing up Bryant's name on purpose here starts to inch towards being obnoxious!

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

It would be just like Falcom to put this door in only as setup for something that happens 5 games down the line.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Erpy posted:

About three. Tita's 16 in CS3 while she was 13 in 3rd. I'm curious if she retained that crush or if she sees him more as a big brother now.

This is Japan, the answer to that question is self-evident.

Though Falcom could surprise us, who knows?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Pfft, look at some of you acting like any if those backstories were actually true and that Bleublanc isn't just screwing with everyone as per usual. :colbert:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

EponymousMrYar posted:

IT.

IS.

TIME.

He'll probably detour to the Star Door first, but after that THEN it is time. :allears:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure this is the only boss in the game that isn't flanked by some collection of minions at the start of the battle. A small mercy I suppose.

Cassius has easily the most broken crafts in the game and I'm convinced the only reason he isn't nigh unbeatable on higher difficulties is because the AI will gladly waste 2-3 turns on weaker single-target attacks and because additionally you have Zeram Powders (I had to use four of them on Hard :suicide: ) as the ultimate bail out. Also because Richard but even he can only do so much.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I do love how Renne, who 97% of the time is one of either smug, bratty, or sinister, gets to Cassius and even she's like "Yeah I got nothing :stare: "

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I actually died to Loewe on hard on my first try when he had ~10k HP left because I misread the turn order and got caught by his S-craft. No, not Sword of Abbadon, the other one that happens to inflict Faint that I just so happened to not be prepared for.

So yeah that was disappointing.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Cassius is so genre savvy I'm half convinced one day he's gonna break out the game and troll the entire world

The truth is that a younger Cassius was supposed to be the main character of Trails in the Sky all along but he knew that having a perfect invincible hero as the protagonist would only make the players hate him. So he made sure the story was about someone else instead and demoted himself to background character to avoid that terrible fate.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The one-two punch of Reminiscence and Stairway to Gehenna is a pretty powerful addition to an already great scene. The latter in particular is probably my favorite single song in this game.

Also I didn't have the opportunity to guess the Lord of Phantasma's identity because I had accidentally been spoiled about it years in advance, whoops!

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I'm not sure if Really Pants mentioned this the first time, but Spear of Loa and Spear of Ur are unique among offensive S-crafts in that they have elemental affinities. Loa is Time and Ur is Space. (This is not always a good thing...) I don't know if Ur is actually higher in raw power but it seems like this boss would be a good opportunity to test that out since they're both equally weak to those elements.

I hadn't heard the Evolution version of Genuine Devil up to this point either. It surprised me because it's better than the original version, which is sadly a rarity among the Sky Evolution OST.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The only character I had capable of breaking through the poms was Richard, so you can imagine the fun it was having to spam Sakura Morning Moon 8 times in one battle. :suicide:

Man hard to believe we're already near the end. Just a couple more fun Star/Sun doors to get through and we're at my favorite endgame from all the Trails games I've played so far.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Looking at the original/alternate version is pretty enlightening. That one was clearly done in the same style as all the other doors dealing with various backstories and it highlights how entirely toothless that approach is for this particular one. Assuming this is what it was supposed to be originally, it's really good that they figured out it needed to be scrapped and rebuilt from scratch.

If nothing else it serves as a clear contrast that illustrates how much actual direction matters. The first version is a cold, dry retelling of events that doesn't really go anywhere and in fact comes off as just creepy and offputting because it's describing horrific events but with no weight or meaning behind it besides "Please feel sorry for this tragic character." Heck, Renne herself barely features in the story despite it ostensibly being about her! The in-game version, on the other hand, is :stonk: incarnate. It's shocking, it's direct, and it isn't just a summary of what happened but a deep, visceral look into the psyche of a broken individual and how she copes with the terrible things happening to her. It's devastatingly effective at evoking the empathy needed to really recoil at what's going on rather than just look on disapprovingly.

But it's more than even all that. It's not shocking and horrifying just for the sake of itself, unlike the original version which didn't go anywhere and would indeed qualify as just that. There's a clear buildup, from Renne detaching herself from the world as a coping mechanism, to deluding herself into believing she's in full control of herself as a member of Ouroboros, to Estelle trying to get through to her by jarring her back into reality. The door itself goes full circle as Renne reflects on Estelle's words on the Liber Ark even as she tried to tell herself that everything is peachy keen. We're seeing the signs, even discounting her experiences with the party in the game proper, that despite everything that's happened, despite all the damage she's endured and has been trying to deny for so long, that Estelle really has changed her. Yes, even with how horrible her backstory is, ultimately this door ends on a hopeful note, as has become the trend in these games especially when Estelle is involved. This is good storytelling and another example of why people like these games so much. And to think it almost didn't happen this way.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I will say, Falcom sticking this door at the very bottom of what is supposed to be a literal representation of hell is a bit on-the-nose.

Also it worth noting Joshua's (and Loewe's somewhat) involvement in all this. It's easy to miss since in our experience following Joshua he's, by all accounts, had a pretty swell life since he became a member of the Bright household, but between Hamel, saving Renne, and who knows how many other incidents he's been party to, Joshua has seen some really messed up stuff and all at a super young age as well. It becomes easier over time to see why he made some of the questionable decisions he made during the story proper.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

Do you actually have to replay this every time through?

It's certainly possible to skip it, but then you'd have to skip Star Door 14 as well and uh, I'll just leave it at that for now :colbert:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

It probably helps to also have Murderbot 9000 soloing Cassius on its own while the rest of the party can deal with Loewe's shenanigans.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Themed teams are fun, let's go with that.

Echoing Stabbey's Team Bright Family to face the Golden Giant. Seems pretty clear cut.
For the Crimson Lizard, let's do Team Rad Royalty's Royal Rumble starring Kloe, Julia, Olivier, and Mueller
The Black Guardian should be Team Hit Things With Really Big Sticks (and One Fist) starring Anelace, Richard, Agate, and Zin.
So that leaves Tita and Josette to be with Kevin and Ries. Naturally, this team shall thus be called Team Three Weapons of Mass Destruction And A Little Lady

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Castle of Illusions: Phantasmagoria is a wonderful track.

Have I mentioned already how good this OST is overall?

• Locked thread