Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
A couple months ago now I was finally able to get 3rd, after putting it off for some time. I've been quietly lurking the LP since I got it, playing along as this thread updates, and have for the most part been able to keep away from spoilers as I continue through it (in spite of my girlfriend's attempts to spoil some of the stardoors for me). I've finally completely caught up with the thread (technically a little ahead, but eh).

What a point to catch up with. :stare:

The writing really does make it go just far enough that it's horrific and a true gut-punch, but doesn't edge so far as to make it unwatchable. It's dark, unpleasant, and really makes the interactions with her last game, the Pater-Mater door in this one, just... everything related to her all the more saddening and unsettling. Someone else commented that putting this at the end of what is more or less hell is a bit on the nose, and I definitely agree with that. Even with how dark the game has gotten with Kevin's backstory and the like, this moment still comes and hits you like a freight train. I think the thing that makes it hit so hard is because of how the games are still more upbeat in tone, but they in a way give you a kind of warning that this is coming. Tonal shift is just gradual enough that it doesn't come out of nowhere, but not so much that it ruins the "surprise" at the end. It's a very delicate balance and I'd argue it's pulled off perfectly.

Even with all this said, I don't really want to revisit this again, and it'll be the one thing I dread having to go over upon any replays of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

It probably helps to also have Murderbot 9000 soloing Cassius on its own while the rest of the party can deal with Loewe's shenanigans.

You basically HAVE to have someone away to draw Cassius' attention/get away from him as he smashes peoples' faces in, or else he'll be able to do too much damage to your party at once and turns the fight into a constant jumble of healing/reviving and guarding. Kevin with Grail Sphere makes it quite a bit more manageable, but only if you prioritize taking down Loewe first so he doesn't pester you with status.

Anelace still dealt the finishing blow to him in this when I cleared it, much like I had Estelle KO him with Wheel of Time back in Chapter 6. Because it's one thing to finish a fight against Bracer Jesus, it's another thing to do it with style.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Stephen9001 posted:

Let me guess, some of the speculation is that the grandmaster is Goddess Aidios herself. Unsure if that would be a good or bad twist if true.

Nah, Aidios is clearly Dorothy.

Anyway Campanella is quite a treat, and this door does some good in setting up some things for the series to explore later. Also has some more subtle things that you might miss on the first time you view it.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I finally managed to finish it today. Part of me didn't want to, it just wanted to stretch these last few hours of gametime out as long as possible. While I can't say this game kept me wanting to see what happened next on quite the same level that SC did, it still made me want to keep playing it more and more, seeing everything I could before I finally entered that last dungeon. Do kinda wish I could have participated more in this thread, but I still loved following along as I had my own run. Thanks a ton for LPing this game, it's been almost as much fun playing through it myself. :unsmith:

The Doomhammer posted:

So that Johhny-come-lately Kevin thinks he can just waltz in and become protagonist of MY video game series? well, we're gonna show him what we think of that, right guys?

Heck yeah.

gently caress EM UP ESTELLE

This is basically how I played the last chunk of the game. Kevin's hogging of the spotlight is over, the protagonist is here. :colbert:

But seriously, I will say this, while Kevin may have taken the protagonist spot for most of the game, I kinda feel Estelle had a better scene at the end with Renne. It shows both how much she's still the same optimistic and caring person she was when FC started, but it also shows how much she's matured. Kevin's development in the game was still really well done, and his scene with Rufina and Ries before everyone said goodbye made me tear up, but I think the scene with Estelle and Renne still hit a bit harder for me personally.

• Locked thread