Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Speaking of Cold Steel, what's the policy regarding discussion of it here (and to a lesser extent Zero/Ao)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay, cool, just wanted to know so I don't make a dumb mistake later

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Ries is rather beautiful, I'll give Erika that.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
On an unrelated note: The Third's OP, "Cry for me", is seriously one of my favorite OPs from any game or anime, and that's high praise alongside some great OPs ("Senkou no Yukue" from CS2, AND Ao Evolution's OP, whatever it is, being two of my other favorites).

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Some Numbers posted:

Really? I found that I didn't like it nearly as much as Silver Will, Golden Wings or the opening from FC.

Also, the CS opening is way better than CS2's.

I guess we'll have to just agree to disagree, then. I generally liked the Crossbell and Erebonia soundtracks more than the Liberl ones (The former has Azure Arbitrator, Inevitable Struggle and Get Over The Barrier, and the latter has Exceed, Azure Destination and Heated Mind as my favorites). Silver Will always will have a place in my heart, but i generally like it more when Falcom JDK goes back to it's Ys roots with some heavy rock.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You know, that "Enforcer trick" line might actually have a point. You all know that the enforcers are based on tarot cards, right? Well, one of the cards of the tarot is called "The Hermit". This place is called "Hermit's Garden".

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Erpy posted:

I don't think that one applies in this case. "The Hermit" has already been revealed in one of the Trails games and I can't see any connection between this place and that person.

Oh, right, forgot about a certain Enforcer for whom revealing the identity of him/her would be a massive CS spoiler, but thanks for reminding me of that.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Question: What elemental locks are on Ries's Orbment?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

I dislike this change for some reason I can't put my finger on - it just doesn't feel right. On top of that, they actually patched FC and SC to make this change.

He's a character from the East, which is like a smoothie of China, Japan, and other Asian countires, so it would make sense for him to have that name. Doesn't explain Walter having his name, but c'est la vie.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Erpy posted:

Calvard's population partially consists of people whose ancestors are originally from that area and partially of immigrants who came from farther east of the Republic. It's possible Zin and Kilika have immigrant origins while Walter doesn't. (heck, there's two folks named Walter in SC, Enforcer VIII and a newly minted senator staying in Grancel and both are from Calvard, so it might be a common Calvardian name)

That's a good point, and one that I didn't think of.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So Star Doors are about one-half to one-third of the length of a Moon Door?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

The Doomhammer posted:

'Just threaten them with physical violence.'

'Also, don't be surprised they disappear and end up in another country at some point. I've had to drag Olivert out of both Liberl and Crossbell at some point.'

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I don't understand why they had to come up with the chest messages from scratch. Couldn't they just translate them from the Japanese version? Did the Japanese version not have them, or were they too full of Japanese puns to translate properly?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Josette's one of the few characters I dislike - and I don't want to. She's not terrible, but she's one of the worst out of a mostly great cast.

It's not even the lack of fighting ability (although that's part of it) - it's just that she's basically got two or three notes that get hit over and over. She's either fighting with Estelle, exhibiting loyalty to her brothers, or pining for Joshua. She gets a bit of character growth eventually (spoiler alert :v:) but it's really too little, too late.

And then they wasted her door on a lovely minigame? Why not give details of the bad business deal? Maybe a peek into what they were doing immediately before they became Sky Bandits? How about how the delivery service got started? Anything to break the monotony of her character and make me actually want to use her.

Compare her to... maybe Scherazard. It's kind of a bad comparison since she's one of the first playable characters you meet back in FC, but despite being kind of lovely in a fight (compared to the other characters available by the time you hit SC and with the caveat that I didn't use a lot of arts) and kind of one-note herself (drunkenness,) she gets better characterization. Josette's easily been around for as long as Scherazard in-game, but she just kind of gets poo poo on and it really annoys me.

... wow. That turned into a bit more of a rant than I expected.

Well, there's the caveat that Josette spends about half of Schera's available time as an enemy and a third of it unplayable, and Schera has a lot of other little notes: Her semi-parental nature towards 'Stell and Josh, her half-flirting, half-fighting jabs at Olivier, he relationships with other Bracers like Agate, her rivalry with... the Enforcer who's name I forget. With Schera, it's less about herself and more about her relationships towards other characters, which sort of goes with Josette as well: She has her crush on Joshua, her loyalty to her brothers, and her feud with 'Stell.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
First an acknowledgement of the Ys games, then two references of Cold Steel? XSEED, you melt my frozen heart...

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

CVE posted:

I hope Ourobouros has a Cassius committee that has to fool proof their plans against his involvment or come up with poo poo to kep him distracted so their plans go off without a hitch. Like an entire staff of people for him alone.

Okay, we need someone to distract Cassius. Who-
Not it!
Not it.
Not it! SOOOOO not it!
Not me.
... Aidos dammit.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
That Moon Door... "pure-white radiance" could be Olivier. "proof of her scholarship" .... Tita?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Also, calling it now: Kevin's group will fight a fake Ries.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Fun fact: Olivier's faaaaaaa~bulous new coat is also what he wears in the Cold Steel games, or is at least very close to it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So, from a second closer reading, it looks like both "happy-go-lucky Kevin" and "Cold, calculating Dominion Kevin" are both sort of masks that he wears. He seems... not just sad on the inside, more like... empty. Broken.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Who drew this? Hirohiko Araki?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

havenwaters posted:

Looks more like Tetsuo Hara (fist of the north star)

...can't deny that.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
If you didn't get Lechter's line about his "great view", he saw Kloe's panties.

Lechter, Lechter, Lechter... What can I say about him? He's goddamn hilarious, he shows up in every game after this (Zero, Ao, Sen 1 and 2), and he's got a lot more about him than meets the eye.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

You know, I can't help but think that Lechter literally said "Dramatic gasp!" in this line.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yay, Agate's back! I'd play his theme from Ys x Sora no Kiseki, but I'm not sure people would appreciate that.*

*Agate's theme in that game is called: Dragon Dive ~The A in Agate is for Akage**~

**Akage is Japanese for "red hair".

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

That's why she has Joshua; to take care of things that can't be fixed with a good beating.

...I just realized: Estelle is Leroy Jenkins.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
If I know my Crossbell games right, this is how those two end up helping out Lloyd, Elie, Tio and Randy in Zero, correct? Doing Bracer work abroad, as well as... something else that's an Ao spoiler?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Raise your hand if you wish Orbments existed IRL.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Lynkericious posted:

gently caress that. Our regular criminals are already super bad, lets not forget the Cartels and whatnot. Do you really want them to be able to also throw fireballs, start tornadoes, and mindrape you into attacking your friends on top of that?

...sometimes, I legitimately cannot tell if a person is being serious or sarcastic over the Internet. This is one of those times.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
C'mon, say it with me.

Daaaaaaaaaa~wwwwwwwwww.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Erpy posted:

Well, Agate doesn't at least. Tita definitely harbors a schoolgirl crush on Agate, though she's still too innocent and sheltered in the Sky games to want to take it beyond "eating ice cream together".

Besides.... how many years pass between The Third and CS3? At least 3-4, considering Rean is going to be 20 in the latter and he was 16-17 in the original CS.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Wait... the Pater-Mater Star Door mentions DNA in it... either I forgot or they never said it, but are archaisms robots, organisms, or cyborgs? Or all of the above? Or do they vary based on what type they are?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
For the curious, Walter is Strength, Luciola is the Lovers, Loewe was High Priestess and... uh, dammit, the green-haired suit wearing kid is The Fool.

And, as of promotional materials for CS3, Magician, Hermit, and the Star are taken as well.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Dammit, I thought the chest had "Valestein Castle" stuck in it's head.

Also, to clarify, I'd like to think that the next person is Cassius, right? That's who most of us are thinking of?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The chest references Pokemon is actual even more funny in light of CD3 promo materials that have a character named Ash.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Well... drat.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yeah, this time shift is great.

And Elmer, surprisingly, acts as a minor foreshadowing for... a party member in Zero/Ao's backstory. I think. I'm not 100% sure.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I... what... just... the... gently caress? I mean, I heard a little about Renne's backstory from Zero/Ao, but... drat, Renne needs a hug.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Oh my. Reading this door with foreknowledge of the Crossbell and Erebonia games is even more exciting than for the rest of you. Tee hee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Billzasilver posted:

Team Protagonists - Kevin, Ries, Estelle, and Joshua for the Worlds Will

Team Renne and Friends - Renne, Tita, Anelace, and Josette for the Golden Giant

Team Royals - Kloe, Julia, Olivier, and Muller for the Black Guardian

Team Cassius' Work Buddies - Agate, Schera, Zin, and Richard for Crimson Lizard

Echoing this.