Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Where does her hair go? There's no way it all fits in that itty bitty hat

Erpy posted:

To be honest, the same is true for Tita.

Actually, the hair's probably a wig, just like Kloe used from time to time. She doesn't wear the hat while in her nun disguise and her hair's still the same military cut as usual.

I agree with this, based on the pictures. If desired, I can see if I can get a proper scan of some of these pages instead of a lovely phone picture. Once I'm not at work. :v:

Edit: Oh yeah. I just looked back at Julia's Day Off - if you're putting it in the LP proper, I'm definitely getting a scan of it. In a few hours.

Epsilon Moonshade fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

I guess that last bit answers... some questions about whether they were going to do something with the weapons found. I don't remember if they're brought up again though.

http://imgur.com/a/wq4HM

Actual scans of Julia's outfits. Use as you will. I included her nun outfit as well.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Erpy posted:

No, I don't think the weapons are brought up again after this. They're just stuff to equip and eventually sell.

I didn't think so either, but maybe we'll be surprised. There seems to be some sort of story behind them (other than the obvious "gift from my Lord,") and it's a weird thread to leave hanging.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Really Pants posted:

Zin (ZANE :colbert:): I mean, it's not like we'll never see each other again.

In any other game, this would be a death sentence for Kilika.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Regalingualius posted:

Cassius may be the only one who knows the Grandmaster's identity.

The Doomhammer posted:

Estelle: drat IT DAD!

Joshua: I actually knew this already.

Erpy posted:

By that time, it might be:

Estelle: drat IT DAD!

Joshua: I actually knew this already.

Renne: Yeah, me too. Are you gonna explain it to her or should I?

Estelle: :smugjones:

I am laughing my rear end off playing this scene out in my head right now.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

EagerSleeper posted:

That chapter art is incredible. :allears:

The art book is amazing. You've got a bunch of regular art, but then poo poo like this happens:

Really Pants posted:

it is time for fights

(that's actually an arrangement of images from the second to last page of the character art book)

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Some Numbers posted:

All the others have multiple difficulties, but they're available immediately after you finish lower ones.

There's one more where I seem to recall you needing a second item to get to the second part of the story. Unless that's what you already said, you double-checked it, and it was wrong so you edited it out. :v:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Erpy posted:

If I recall correctly, the only door other than the arena one you visit more than once is Tita's door, which requires another party member but that one's a Moon Door rather than a Sun Door.

Of all the Sun Doors, only the Arena one isn't completely beatable the first time you go there since you need additional "invitations" to enter the higher challenges as well as additional levels, equipment and quartz in order to avoid getting completely clowned by the battles inside. All the other Sun Doors involve mini-games that are unrelated to your in-game stats and gear, so you can tackle them right away.

Ah-hah, found it. I was thinking of Sun Door 4, which requires an item to get in initially but no extra item to go on to part 2 of it. So there's where I got mixed up.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

I think every appearance of Jill in these games just makes me go :allears:

Erpy posted:

Campanella made Gilbert immortal, just so he wouldn't have to hold back using him as a punching bag.

This is a horrifying thought. Hilarious and horrifying.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Endorph posted:

the problem with this is that rean is a guy

I'm sure it wouldn't matter. Anelace is probably cutesexual.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Lugran is the best Bracer Guild steward. :allears:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Erpy posted:

Is Lugran the name that triggers Olivier's PTSD and causes him to retreat into a corner and adopt the fetal position in an attempt to get the flashbacks out of his mind? No? Then he can't be the best Bracer Guild steward.

Some Numbers posted:

He's also not Kilika, so he's not even the SECOND best.

I'll give points for both of them, but old man who was probably a major badass in the past trumps both in my eyes. :argh:

That's my belief and I'm sticking to it. :colbert:

Okay, fine, there's no indication of hidden badassery, but I really do wonder about the pasts of the guild stewards - we get to see two of them and they're awesome in their various ways... what did the other three do?

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Erpy posted:

One thing we know about Lugran is that he used to be THE guild receptionist in Liberl. Back when the only Guild office in the country used to be in Grancel, he worked the desk there. He moved to Bose after the other 4 branches were established.

To be fair, that's really just evidence of seniority rather than badassery. :v:

I had forgotten about that though.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Erpy posted:

I'm still kinda puzzled why Falcom ended up creating an entirely new set of dialogue portraits for Schera while Olivier, who also changed his suit and hairdo, simply got slightly modified versions of his FC and SC expressions. Not that those could get any better. It's just weird to see Schera with a whole new set of facial features.

When playing through this door, something clicked - they made a new sprite (or possibly reused an old one? I don't think they used these for the Luciola scenes though) for young Schera to reduce the size of the boob window.

It was a jarring enough realization that I had to go back and make the side-by-side comparison.

A second point that I'd never noticed until I was looking at the spritework:

Boob window sizes in the character art are roughly the same. I had to go back to SC to grab the first image, but the sprite itself is the same. In a game with so much awesome art, it's a weird "mistake" for them to make.

On a less BOOBS HURR note:

OddObserver posted:

Oh man, I totally missed the Dorothy stuff somehow. And that phonecall...

I missed the Dorothy bits too, and it makes me sad. Dorothy is awesome. :allears:

Edited: Okay, they did make a new sprite for Schera's new outfit. Shows how much I actually used her in the 3rd.

Epsilon Moonshade fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 4, 2017

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Erpy posted:

If #angstykloe from the previous moon door already felt like a whiplash, #angryschera feels like a burst of Sadist Whip. I never expected Schera to harbor this much bitterness even if it's neatly explained in this door.

I dunno, based on her backstory with Luciola, the circus, her pre-circus life, etc., it seems pretty legit. My reaction is more "wow, she mellowed out a lot."

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

I thought it was that she was enjoying time in the troupe, then she was basically abandoned (again!) and felt she had to become self-sufficient?

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Glazius posted:

I'm not complaining about this at all, but it really feels like this game is just all the sidestories they ever wanted to tell but couldn't find a way to work in.

There's some plot relevance to the framing story, but I'm inclined to agree - the main event is the sidestories.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

The question in this picture is what we're all asking.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Lynkericious posted:

Subtlety is for people whose choice of weapons aren't very large sticks. This is the true reason Joshua is around, otherwise every place Estelle went to would be accompanied by explosions and ultra violence.

You mean:

You need the little musical note and the dashes there.

Epsilon Moonshade fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 14, 2017

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

I got to this door, played through the first round, said gently caress that, and cheated my fishing points nice and high to just blow through the next two episodes.

I enjoy a fishing game on occasion, but not when it's this drat long. :v:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

"Thr Whereabouts of Light" actually inspired me to get a harmonica so I could learn how to play it.

... I'm not very good at it. :saddowns:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

This was a really cool moment for me. Sometimes it's nice being able to play a game without analyzing the hell out of the plot. :allears:

vdate posted:

Don't get your knickers in a twist, there's an empty slot on the roster page. One day the true might of Dapper Dad will be ours.

You mean we don't get Kevin back? :ohdear:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

OddObserver posted:

Kevin is the Dapper Father, not the Dapper Dad.

Right - but there's only one party slot left, which is Kevin's.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

NotASmartMan posted:

I noticed this LP a little bit ago but then stuff happened and I couldn't keep following. When I came back to it, I needed a forum account to see the thread.

Anyways, I just came here off of playing other trails games in preparation for Cold Steel on PC. Man, I forgot how charming the Sky cast was in comparison to Cold Steel's, maybe down to localisation(?). And looking at this makes me feel better about not continuing with the leaked Zero translation. It's understandable (mostly), but definitely lacks character compared to XSEED's work. Here's hoping the better fan translation has some at least.

And the character interactions. Like the bit with Estelle and Joshua in the latest update definitely foreshadows that they knew who Scharzritter was all along . And bit where Renne mentions her plushies in her room makes me wonder where the Enforcers live? Like does Ouroboros HQ have a little dorm, where they get together, spar, laugh at Gilbert, solve Bleublanc's riddles etc?

Glad I remembered about this LP just as we're getting to the good bits. Some of my favourite doors are coming up too

To be fair, if you don't know who the Schwarzritter is by now, you just... haven't been paying attention to any of the games. :v:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Really Pants posted:

I'm going to need some assistance selecting parties for this chapter, because the sixth plane's monuments have trials and the monuments' trials have guardians...guardians that may or may not be familiar.

Agate, then Julia for the second.

Oh boy, my favorite part is coming up. :allears:

Edit: I obviously don't remember the rules of this part all that well. :downs:

Epsilon Moonshade fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 1, 2017

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

ultrafilter posted:

Still waiting on the fight against Niall and Dorothy where it turns out they're the strongest enemies in the game.

Dorothy is the Grandmaster.

Edit: gently caress yes:

Mr. Fortitude posted:

So if anyone wishes to see what Star Door 8 was hinting towards and hasn't yet played Cold Steel, it's on PC, GOG and Humble now.

I know what I'll be doing with my weekend.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

And now that I've finally finished reading the previous update:

Phillip is the best fight. Not the hardest, but he's such an awesome badass. :allears:

... and now to go back to work and read the next update. :v:

Really Pants posted:

Ein ever would have guessed.

Also, you are so fired.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Erpy posted:

Falcom seems fully aware of this.

I've been playing through Trails of High School, but I haven't quite gotten to the harem point yet. I'm sure it's coming up soon. :v:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Really Pants posted:

You haven't even reached the tutorials yet?

Point made and taken, but not everyone is crushing on the main character yet. :v:

I'm actually well into Chapter 4, and some of the callbacks are... interesting.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Really Pants posted:

The Chronicle is going to feel pretty silly when they realize only one of those three could be a number.

Except it's a lovely little piece of misdirection. WE know the Enforcers use roman numerals, but I doubt that's common knowledge.

Since the entries are numbered already, as "Theory 1" etc., that leaves the majority of people focusing on those and wondering what they mean.

Of course, even among those who would know that the "X" is the number in question, what would they do with the info? As a master of disguise, I doubt that even his Bleublanc "look" is his original appearance. You've got a bit of trivia to build a profile on someone who's nuts in the first place.

Bleublanc is extremely facepunchable in many ways, but I really do enjoy his riddles.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Pfft, look at some of you acting like any if those backstories were actually true and that Bleublanc isn't just screwing with everyone as per usual. :colbert:

I don't know. For all his faults, he's got a sense of fair play. I'm not saying he's not trolling, but the beauty of it (hurr) is that there's no way to know.

Edit:

Omobono posted:

Care to elaborate if you have any idea? I have no clue how 10 could link to Bleublanc beyond B declaring "I'm an Enforcer, who cares about details like who I was before that"

Just to be explicit about it, X = 10. In other words, he's claiming the first profile they mentioned.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It must be knowledge to many people because they introduce themselves with roman numerals and no one in the group goes "Huh, what do you mean you're Number Vee Eye Eye Eye?". Not even Estelle.

Sorry, I meant that in the sense of "Bleublanc being "Enforcer Number X" rather than "Phantom Thief B."" In other words, the Ourbouros connection isn't common knowledge (I don't think.)

Edit: Another thought I had in the shower:
I doubt they're saying "X" literally, but "10" and the "X" is a stylistic choice that only really pops up in text. Do we even have an in-universe written example where they've referred to themselves like that?

I kind of wonder if it's a translation thing in general, like how SpaceDrake said that Kevin's Kansai(?) accent was translated to sound kind of southern/Texan? I don't know enough Japanese to know for sure if this is even a thing, but a... more formal way of saying a number? That sounds silly now that I type it out, but who knows? :v:

Epsilon Moonshade fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 14, 2017

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Tamba posted:

His title in japanese is "執行者No.X" , so they use roman numerals there as well.

Yeah, I'm sticking to NFC then. I could maybe see Bleublanc saying "Enforcer Number X" (with the literal "X"), but imagining Walter saying "Enforcer Number V-I-I-I"... I couldn't take him seriously. At least until he exploded my head or something. :v:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

I'll go with the crowd for the rest of them, but for the last fight, I'm going to agree with 4) EVERYONE.. Maybe not in the actual fight, but I'd like to see the alternate dialogue for everyone since I took Estelle and Joshua myself.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

<snip> in exchange for the resources and support necessary to do things like construct the Glorious (although I’m not sure if they told him exactly what they were building. I don’t quite see Osborne trusting them enough to let them build a flying battleship.)

Some Numbers posted:

Cold Steel has some very specific things to say about this, especially in Chapter 6.

Indeed, the dots are there to connect. I've got my own speculation, but I'll wait for the (hopefully) inevitable CS1 SSLP to mention it.

I just finished CS1 and... CS2 needs to be out already. :argh:

Trails and its loving cliffhangers. I guess I should technically spoiler that, but it seems the end-of-game cliffhanger is pretty much par for this series. :v:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Glazius posted:

Please at least say there's some kind of automap to the iron labyrinth.

hahahaha nope
:eng99:

I hated this section with a passion. I'm usually good at building up a mental map, but...

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Endorph posted:

I'm pretty sure just about every one of the characters you fight in this sequence was in consideration for being a party member either in SC or this game. Phillip especially, he gets a lot of build-up for someone whose biggest contribution is slowing the enforces down for a couple of minutes. (Admittedly it's a really cool couple of minutes)

That's the biggest and coolest contribution, but a bigger part of his arc (if you can call it that) is him being the protector and attendant to a certain (former?) man-child and the comedy that ensues. I suspect he hosed up at some point and this was a punishment. :v:

If anything, he'd have been a temporary party member like Julia, without actually showing up in the endgame.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

NotASmartMan posted:

Also, he has unique dialogue with every party member: https://i.imgur.com/gN5a0hv.jpg

Thank you for this. :cheers: I was wondering what everyone said.

Edit:

Oh hey. Or this too - with additional dialogue! :cheers: x 2

Epsilon Moonshade fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 24, 2017

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

The next sun door. :allears:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Really Pants posted:

I still need somebody to pick two party members for what's coming next.

I'd probably go with Estelle and Joshua but not for any real reason

I'd say pick two of the characters we haven't seen much of for a while. Give them a chance to hang out with the cool kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

havenwaters posted:

I was way off and thought it was some oroborous jerk too.

Pretty much this for my guess. I didn't catch any hints as to their real identity.

• Locked thread