Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

flatluigi posted:

so something might be happening?

Probably just the Envoys of Avalon spring event? I can't find an announcement about it for 2021, so maybe they didn't run it last year, but here's 2020's: https://www.secretworldlegends.com/2020/03/17/spring-equinox-2020/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenaul
Jun 2, 2007
"Regionals" is there they go into lair, party of 13, 10 in main raid, and 3 "leechers" and summon anywhere from 10 to 50 big lair bosses one after another. Bag space is a huge problem during lairs, as you will be getting tons of distils, and with boss being killed every minute or so you won't have much time to think about it. You have to buy in into regional by bringing however many essences raid leader requests, so 3 essences, will mean 39 bosses will be summoned at minimum 13 x 3. Once you start doing lairs on regular, you will get some essences or you can get them from AH, or check your cabal, most cabals have a ton of essences, and won't mind letting you have some. Not going to lie, it might get a bit boring after awhile, but it is a great way to level up your gear, as there is no restriction on how much loot you can get, and you are killing bosses so fast.

Xenaul fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 16, 2022

Xenaul
Jun 2, 2007

Hello Sailor posted:

Probably just the Envoys of Avalon spring event? I can't find an announcement about it for 2021, so maybe they didn't run it last year, but here's 2020's: https://www.secretworldlegends.com/2020/03/17/spring-equinox-2020/

https://www.tswdb.com/events/envoys-of-avalon/

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

As I expected, it's the Equinox event. I had hoped for new content but obviously I don't expect it.

Secret World Legends: Man I hope it's new content, but I know it won't be. :smith:

Still love this game though

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I really just want them to write a book or something that wraps up the story

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I'd buy that book. I really just want more story. Ironically I remember back at launch it turned out my Cabal leader was a dev and he eventually mentioned how the Congo was a location they were working on for the future and to see it finally referenced in the Dawn of the Morninglight arc was cool. Ah, what could have been...

EDIT: I also want more dungeons. I loving love the dungeons in this game to the point where I'm seriously debating buying some Funcom Funbux to buy the issues I don't have in classic and trying to find enough people to run Penthouse and the Manufactory Dungeons since I never saw them and Manufactory doesn't exist in SWL

Basically this game makes me both extremely happy and extremely sad at the same time

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 17, 2022

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
I miss this game and the goons I met along the way.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Variable Haircut posted:

Same. TSW crew got me through some rough patches in my early 20s

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

On the upside for me since I never did SWL endgame until now I'm finding grinding missions and scenarios to slowly raise my gear score to be actually very chill and fun. The fact that pretty much everyone is so powerful that they trivialize dungeons until, like, E8, maybe higher, is a bummer since I'm just about to break into E3 range. I liked the challenging dungeons.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Variable Haircut posted:

which one of you fucks is zepho? outside of this thread I've only stayed in touch with rasheed and frankenstein

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

which one of you fucks is zepho? outside of this thread I've only stayed in touch with rasheed and frankenstein

Zephonith

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=137934

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

has it really been four years since there was new content?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yes :negative:

It really does seem evident that Funcom has abandoned all their MMOs and is focused on developing/publishing non-MMO online games like Conan Exiles and Chop-Chop and whatever they're doing with this Dune game, and owning various pulp IPs

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
All of their MMOs are just bleeding money constantly. Or at the very least, not making anywhere near enough money to justify making any new content.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

theflyingorc posted:

All of their MMOs are just bleeding money constantly. Or at the very least, not making anywhere near enough money to justify making any new content.

I mean, it's their own fault it's like this.

AoC was a shitshow of lies and carefully constructed misdirection to begin with that only had real content for the first 20 or so levels. It says something as well that the funnest parts of it were assassinating people and horse kicking them off of cliffs too.

TSW was popular at one point, but constant cutbacks leading to setbacks lead to the interest going down. Couple that with some hideously unpopular updates like the "grind simulation missions like this is a mobile game update" and the Tokyo leveling system effectively resetting your level to 1 due to the lovely AEGIS stuff for the zone did a lot to chase off people. Them slowing down development even further was bad too.

Even with that they had a small but steady core of players though. Then they deliberately and knowingly hosed that up to extract a bit more wealth by rebooting the game and dicked over not just the lifetime subbers (thereby losing a consistent source of potential good PR for the game, since lifetime subbers did in fact have to log in to get the rewards still) but players in general to boot by "rebooting" the game into a cash shop nightmare. Both of which pissed people off given that it turned out the reboot wasn't even a reboot at all and it was the same story minus features, your original cosmetic cash shop content from the real version of the game, and generally only barely made things better while tacking on a bunch of really lovely microtransactions.

They've consistently chosen greed and cutting corners and as such they've consistently been paying for it in long term viability of their products. Exiles is the exception to the rule, not a change in habit. Heck, if the mod community hadn't taken off for Exiles it would also probably be a barren wasteland since many servers would not have the steady drip of new content they currently have that draws in players.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 24, 2022

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Don't forget in the original game when issue 6 dropped and the game just broke for a couple months. That was when we lost a bunch of the goon crew since they just couldn't even launch the game anymore.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
We do indeed live in a society, etc :v:

As much as we all wanted this game to live forever, anyone with sense knew it was doomed as soon as they heard the phrase "subscription MMO" in 2012.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Archonex posted:

I mean, it's their own fault it's like this.

AoC was a shitshow of lies and carefully constructed misdirection to begin with that only had real content for the first 20 or so levels. It says something as well that the funnest parts of it were assassinating people and horse kicking them off of cliffs too.

TSW was popular at one point, but constant cutbacks leading to setbacks lead to the interest going down. Couple that with some hideously unpopular updates like the "grind simulation missions like this is a mobile game update" and the Tokyo leveling system effectively resetting your level to 1 due to the lovely AEGIS stuff for the zone did a lot to chase off people. Them slowing down development even further was bad too.

Even with that they had a small but steady core of players though. Then they deliberately and knowingly hosed that up to extract a bit more wealth by rebooting the game and dicked over not just the lifetime subbers (thereby losing a consistent source of potential good PR for the game, since lifetime subbers did in fact have to log in to get the rewards still) but players in general to boot by "rebooting" the game into a cash shop nightmare. Both of which pissed people off given that it turned out the reboot wasn't even a reboot at all and it was the same story minus features, your original cosmetic cash shop content from the real version of the game, and generally only barely made things better while tacking on a bunch of really lovely microtransactions.

They've consistently chosen greed and cutting corners and as such they've consistently been paying for it in long term viability of their products. Exiles is the exception to the rule, not a change in habit. Heck, if the mod community hadn't taken off for Exiles it would also probably be a barren wasteland since many servers would not have the steady drip of new content they currently have that draws in players.

Yeah, this is a pretty fundamental misunderstanding of how game development works on multiple levels.

The short version is that TSW managed to put up a design that absolutely needed to be a runaway smash hit in order to fund it. Hand-crafted fully voiced quests are extremely time consuming and expensive to make. Building hub areas with entirely unique at assets and almost nothing to do in them is a huge waste of cash. The game never had the level of success needed to recoup investment and it isn't because of the things you mentioned.

What you're calling "greed" is actually "making enough money to pay people's salaries". That isn't to say there isn't mismanagement, but this isn't Blizzard with their near-infinite warchest. The reasons that TSW failed are largely the things people like about it.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I would say that it only failed for the things people liked about it because they put so much time and resources into those things in lieu of investing in core experience and functionality.

The anima system was cool but overall combat and progression was completely hosed. The animations, the floatiness, the balance, etc. There was no clear post launch content plan and everything feels really half-assed. Someone made the call 6 months to a year before launch that the game was not going to be a smash success and started scaling back resources then. The closed beta made it clear how much of a skeleton team of senior devs were working on it.

This is par for the course with Funcom though. They have a great concept, really good art, several good devs to lay the foundation, and then they do not properly invest in the resources necessary to bring the vision to life. TSW was probably the closest thing they’ve put out to a complete game/concept. Maybe Exiles is better overall because the bar is so much lower than an MMO.

MMOs need to be an investment post launch to be successful because they will all have a bad launch and be on the verge of collapsing. Wow has a rough loving launch and if Blizzard has pulled support back like Funcom, it would have suffered the same fate. Square saved FFXIV and it’s now massive. LOTRO and TOR are much smaller but continued to have updates and find an audience. I don’t think it will succeed but Amazon is still trying to put content and fixes into New World (or were last time I looked) and that poo poo dropped like an anchor.

Funcom has never really taken this approach to a game. They expect to kick it out the door, take some time off, and come back with updates every 3-6 months. They run game launches like a movie studio kicking out in a new blockbuster. Get investors, hire a writer to come up with a script, get excellent art, animation, voice.

That doesn’t work for an MMO launch. Funcom could have invested the right resources in the last year of devs and post launch and made a huge success of TSW.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

theflyingorc posted:

Yeah, this is a pretty fundamental misunderstanding of how game development works on multiple levels.

The short version is that TSW managed to put up a design that absolutely needed to be a runaway smash hit in order to fund it. Hand-crafted fully voiced quests are extremely time consuming and expensive to make. Building hub areas with entirely unique at assets and almost nothing to do in them is a huge waste of cash. The game never had the level of success needed to recoup investment and it isn't because of the things you mentioned.

What you're calling "greed" is actually "making enough money to pay people's salaries". That isn't to say there isn't mismanagement, but this isn't Blizzard with their near-infinite warchest. The reasons that TSW failed are largely the things people like about it.

Except you need to keep in mind the history of the company when trying to make assessments like this. You're forgetting that Funcom has a bad history with shady practices in securing sales and development overall.

Literally, AoC was sold to people with lies. Their pre-release period was filled with wild claims (still waiting for that lich class and advanced/non human classes as a whole!) meant to pad over the fact that the actual gameplay was just not there. Literally, literally, literally this was a massive scandal at the time since when it came out it turned out that everything after not-Tortuga was at best a quarter of the way finished and far more often there simply wasn't content outside of grinding a few mobs for XP there at all. Which forced only the most hardcore players to grind off of certain spawns since after a certain point you'd have a new quest or two maybe every five to seven levels at best.

Dungeons were hosed as well. A lot of dungeons didn't even have proper loot drops commensurate to the effort put in them. And that's if they dropped loot that was different from the global/zone pool at all. Also, tuning was completely screwed in some of them.

And then there were the hilariously bad bugs. One of the most infamous being that every female PC wasa inherently weaker than a male PC because someone had the bright idea to sync the attack speed up with animations or something like that. Which were slower for women because ???. Which wasn't even found for like a month or so, and required players to yell about it to the devs to get them to acknowledge this very simple thing that a decent internal QA team could have caught fairly easy. And then you had game breaking glitches that would wipe character data or do something similar to that along with all sorts of other crazy bugs in a game that was billed as "hardcore" in the lead up and post release period like it was trying to do an early run of Wildstar.

It took them anywhere from half a year to a year to even get some of the issues it had fixed. And some of the issues were literally game breaking, like the gender imbalance. By that point most people had fled to better games. Today they have maybe a pittance of players even though the game made a very brief come back in the Khitan/Asia expansion pack, which was also never followed up on with solid content in a timely manner despite it getting decent reviews.

TSW was released feature complete but ended up just getting shafted by all the financial bullshit going on behind the scenes coupled with Funcom's management just being morons. An issue which was exacerbated by the fact that it's design theory required bring in VA's and having actual puzzles and the like beyond the usual hotbar combat MMO's of the time had. And yet, despite that there have been other expensive story/VA based games (SWTOR and FFXIV come to mind.) that pulled it around after a bad release. Couple that with a few bad updates along with their slow release schedule and an ever smaller seeming crop of devs working on the project and you have a recipe for disaster that any experienced MMO developer should have been able to see coming and avoid.

Like, we can agree that Funcom made mistakes if that's what you're saying but it's obvious that Funcom hosed up as it has before and the game suffered for it.

And I should reiterate that the relative lack of new content in Exiles is ameliorated by the mod community. So it's not like they've learned their lesson. It would be nothing but a dusty relic if you didn't have some of the insane modders it has. Like, at one point someone designed an entire RPG fantasy setting in it like they were working with Neverwinter Nights, complete with an actual magic system, faction system, and other new mechanics. This happens while the game gets massive mod based mechanic updates and even new maps. Meanwhile, Funcom releases paid cultural cosmetic DLC packs (and one expansion isle) while people are doing the same thing for free in game, despite the excellent sales it allegedly had last I checked.

Contrast this with Funcom's competition, where Ark has a ridiculous number of maps that were dev made or even sponsored by the developers onto Steam to keep interest in the game high overall and it's obvious there's just a lack of investment in the future of Funcom's games once they're out the door. Which, coupled with the issues a game can have at launch, in a lull, or during development is a recipe for all sorts of things to go wrong over time, leaving the consumer holding the bag.

Or as another poster put it:

Lawlicaust posted:

MMOs need to be an investment post launch to be successful because they will all have a bad launch and be on the verge of collapsing. Wow has a rough loving launch and if Blizzard has pulled support back like Funcom, it would have suffered the same fate. Square saved FFXIV and it’s now massive. LOTRO and TOR are much smaller but continued to have updates and find an audience. I don’t think it will succeed but Amazon is still trying to put content and fixes into New World (or were last time I looked) and that poo poo dropped like an anchor.

Funcom has never really taken this approach to a game. They expect to kick it out the door, take some time off, and come back with updates every 3-6 months. They run game launches like a movie studio kicking out in a new blockbuster. Get investors, hire a writer to come up with a script, get excellent art, animation, voice.

That doesn’t work for an MMO launch. Funcom could have invested the right resources in the last year of devs and post launch and made a huge success of TSW.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 25, 2022

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

Yeah, this is a pretty fundamental misunderstanding of how game development works on multiple levels. [...] The reasons that TSW failed are largely the things people like about it.
Not really. Game design is hard and expensive etc. but TSW didn't fail because of the parts people liked about it. Funcom failed at making it a game enough people wanted to buy and keep spending money on, that's directly connected to how much they hosed up their post-release support and the SWL reboot, but even more to how they hosed up the (pre-) launch period (and also previous games, so the started this with a penalty to their reputation that wasn't helping). It's also due to completely mismanaging their budget and resources and you can't blame any of that on the customers at all - the game as advertised was never sustainable in MMO form, they sold a lot of promises they must have realized they couldn't keep, considering how quickly the game had to go into barely above maintenance mode (the Star Citizen school of game design - lofty aspirations, no resources/skills to properly turn them into the game they're selling).

If you don't have the resources, don't make MMO combat with a freely customizable action/trait setup with hundreds of skills. Don't overdo those hand-crafted, voiced quests and promise years of more of them when you can barely afford the amount in the first release. Don't try to add challenging group content when that relies on said combat design with the hundreds of possible skills and combinations which you already can't properly balance elsewhere in the game, and your encounters are so convoluted or overtuned your own designers can't reliably beat them. Don't make games if you can't even afford technical support while a significant percentage of your customers can't play your game for months, while your game director shits on the affected customers' complaints on your hugbox forum. You don't get to pin that on players liking the wrong, expensive parts of the game that don't pay enough.

E: Even though it wasn't literal "greed", you can absolutely try to secure more funding to pay your developer (a valid goal, on its own) by predatory monetization that will be perceived as greedy.

orcane fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 25, 2022

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Suppose you did purchase (back when it was sold) or otherwise play TSW when it B2P. What exactly was the revenue steam once they got you into the door? Aside from cash shop outfits (that were frequently worse than the free or unlockable ones).

All I remember was once a month a new costume was added to the cash shop and most of them were "okay I guess" but not "spend money okay". Then after another year or so even new things to sell in the cash shop dried up.

I'm not sure they ever figured out how they were supposed to make a profit apart from "subs" and prayer. As was already mentioned on this page the sub model was long dead before TSW launched. Even the Matrix MMO with the power of that IP couldn't survive on the sub model.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

They had Veteran Points for a couple months which were supposed to be a currency you got for having a sub and would give you exclusive access to even more costumes

Also don't forget that every outfit in the shop had to be unlocked account wide not once but twice if you wanted to have both male and female characters

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

DancingShade posted:

Suppose you did purchase (back when it was sold) or otherwise play TSW when it B2P. What exactly was the revenue steam once they got you into the door? Aside from cash shop outfits (that were frequently worse than the free or unlockable ones).

All I remember was once a month a new costume was added to the cash shop and most of them were "okay I guess" but not "spend money okay". Then after another year or so even new things to sell in the cash shop dried up.

I'm not sure they ever figured out how they were supposed to make a profit apart from "subs" and prayer. As was already mentioned on this page the sub model was long dead before TSW launched. Even the Matrix MMO with the power of that IP couldn't survive on the sub model.
After they dropped the subscriptions the idea was, people who subscribed or were grandmasters they got bonuses and free points, and everyone bought costumes and new content issues with points (B2P players therefore had to buy points).

Except there were not nearly enough content issues to keep this up.

orcane fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Apr 25, 2022

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Yeah, the root cause for Funcom failures are always leadership and resourcing related. They’ve never hired enough developers for the games they make and they don’t manage priorities well. No other factor matters anywhere near as much as that.

Any MMO’s success has been 100% dependent on post launch support and roadmap. You can launch a turd but if you make players feel heard, address issues, and launch new content, you will find an audience. Players are incredibly forgiving of MMOs in a way they would never forgive another game. Both AOC and TSW were games that could have been saved with the right investment.

AOC would have been much more difficult to save because just so much was fundamentally broken. The post above gives a good flavor but only barely scratches the surface. Literally everything was broken about AOC. This is not an exaggeration. Animations, talents, loot, dungeons, skills, resurrection, xp curve, raids, PvP, guilds, building, sieges, how healing worked, equipment, stats, research. Literally everything was early alpha at best. Most bosses only did their mechanics on the first pull. If you pulled them then wiped, they only autoattacked and sometimes didn’t do that. That bug persisted for at least a month of raiding. Just think about how fundamental that is. They didn’t even have combat scripting that worked.

I very vividly remember a guildie who got camped by an elite world mob. It was a mob you are not supposed to be able to kill that roams some snowy mountain zone in the 40s/50s. Every time it killed him, it would camp his corpse until he rezzed. If he didn’t corpse rez but rezzed at a graveyard, it loving ran across the zone at super speed to kill him. He logged for an hour and it still came back. He only got away from it by dying repeatedly until he got to the end of the zone 25 feet at a time. This literally took him 2+ hours. I don’t even know how you break something like this.

TSW’s issues were mainly just combat, balance, and new content. Trivial by comparison. Yeah, there were bugs and some engine issues and the animations were definitely pretty floaty. But it was a mostly playable and feature complete game.

Funcom could have invested in the game appropriately, fixed the bugs, and released new content. It was their one chance at a great MMO and they phoned it in like always. It is wasn’t even the fault of the devs on the game. I interacted with many of them during closed beta and they were competent and responsive. You can’t make a game with a skeleton crew though.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

DancingShade posted:

The Matrix died for so many reasons other than the sub model. FFXIV was a dead game that came back to life with a sub model. Games that failed with sub models failed for lots of reasons that didn’t justify people paying the sub. Gamers might bitch about subs but they will pay them if they find them valuable. But when your game is dogshit and gets no post launch support then no one is gonna pay the sub.

Funcom didn’t have a functional business model for sustaining TSW because they didn’t need one. Funcom has always made like 80% of a games money at launch and then milked very small amounts after that. That’s how their whole company model was structured. Launch it then move to KTLO.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Archonex posted:

TSW was popular at one point, but constant cutbacks leading to setbacks lead to the interest going down.

There is some wildly revisionist history here. TSW was never popular enough to turn a profit.

I remember reading the Funcom investor reports after it came out. They had forecast 1 - 1.5 million players when budgeting for the game. They peaked post launch at around 300k. The game was not profitable under their existing plans below 500k. Massive cutbacks were inevitable.

Were they being wildly over-optimistic on their projections? Probably. But Funcom isn’t a large enough company with enough other titles to sustain them to just indefinitely throw money at TSW and hope it can catch fire.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Lawlicaust posted:

But when your game is dogshit and gets no post launch support then no one is gonna pay the sub.

Funcom didn’t have a functional business model for sustaining TSW because they didn’t need one. Funcom has always made like 80% of a games money at launch and then milked very small amounts after that. That’s how their whole company model was structured. Launch it then move to KTLO.

Counterpoint to all of this: Anarchy Online. Funcom tried the post-launch support thing! It didn’t really work for them. (Even if it still has, somehow, an active sub base.)

The real tragedy is FC buying into “you have to do an MMO to deal with piracy” after Dreamfall; if they’d made games like AO or TSW (can’t speak to their other MMOs) as single player RPGs, I honestly think they’d have been seen as the next Obsidian or Bethesda.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah as much as I love TSW I recall rumblings that it needed to break a million subs to meet goals and I knew that was never gonna loving happen.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Archonex posted:

Except you need to keep in mind the history of the company when trying to make assessments like this. You're forgetting that Funcom has a bad history with shady practices in securing sales and development overall.

My dude i literally was a programmer on secret world legends and age of Conan, I'm aware of the company's many foibles

And no, the low support after launch isn't a strategy. They literally keep failing to make enough cash to try anything else.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If only Funcom had the foresight to fund their mmo adventures with copypasta NFTs and excessively overpriced "exclusive" in game houses/castles/spaceships/whatever that cost upwards of ten grand a pop.

Really failed to grab the whale market by the throat.

Alternatively: what if Secret World was basically Genshin Impact and 100% gatcha?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

theflyingorc posted:

My dude i literally was a programmer on secret world legends and age of Conan
Bold of you to accept the blame like this :v:

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

theflyingorc posted:

And no, the low support after launch isn't a strategy. They literally keep failing to make enough cash to try anything else.

But it is a strategy. Their business strategy is focused on getting a huge amount of money from box sales in order to fund future development. They set unrealistic financial goals for success in that timeline. That’s a common practice in failed mmos/games and businesses in general. They are solely focused on short-term gains and not longterm financial strategies and customer loyalty.

So games have hard releases that are not feasible for what they invest. Things release unfinished and broken because they have to hit a date that is arbitrary based on financial targets. If TSW had hit expected box sales, it probably still would have been a longterm failure because they already didn’t have it staffed appropriately for post-launch.

Their strategy isn’t that different from bad real estate investments or even similar to an MLM. They are completely dependent on a payoff that never comes to make good. That’s a terrible way to run a business longterm and it shows by their sale. It’s a scam you can only keep up so long when the big payoff never comes.

So they have a strategy that ultimately results in low support because of bad business and financial management. You can’t pretend that they everything would be great if they had just sold enough copies. A company has to base their budgets, financial targets, and strategy around a realistic forecast and not the bullshit they tell investors to fleece them for more money.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

macnbc posted:

There is some wildly revisionist history here. TSW was never popular enough to turn a profit.

I remember reading the Funcom investor reports after it came out. They had forecast 1 - 1.5 million players when budgeting for the game. They peaked post launch at around 300k. The game was not profitable under their existing plans below 500k. Massive cutbacks were inevitable.

Were they being wildly over-optimistic on their projections? Probably. But Funcom isn’t a large enough company with enough other titles to sustain them to just indefinitely throw money at TSW and hope it can catch fire.

It was popular. It just wasn't popular enough to meet the demands of the business, which were wildly out of sync with reality. Lawlicaust, Orcane, and others goes into this much better than I currently can at the moment, so i'd refer to the above posts if you want to try to rebut this point.

To be clear, I liked both games. I was playing TSW nearly religiously up until the reboot and even dropped money on a lifetime sub despite knowing at that point that the game was probably going to end up on life support. Likewise, I had a blast playing AoC as a sneaky assassin. But I can't deny that Funcom's operating strategy is partially to blame for everything going wrong in their products over and over again.

Lawlicaust posted:

The Matrix died for so many reasons other than the sub model.

Also, I should add that this is on point and just going into how the Matrix MMO and it's original staff of pre, post release devs, and support staff got screwed over could probably be an essay all on it's own. Suffice to say from what I can remember of it that they had event staff and all sorts of plans and then poo poo went incredibly haywire after release partially through no fault of their own (the rest probably was their fault, sadly), culminating in management of the game getting sold off to SOE to try and recoup the losses from a bad launch.

Given how SOE tended to be back then it shouldn't be a surprise that this lead to SOE basically dropping all of the interesting bit of gameplay both present in the game and in future prospective development, firing most of the staff, firing all of the live event staff that was a core part of the game, handing most of the live event content over to people from the community to run, and generally turning it into a way to milk subscribers into a slow death for the game instead of do a rebound.

The original game allegedly had a development plan that was going to have vehicles added in expansions, new zones, new weapons and combat types, and even in the long term was the hope of them adding the real world with those flying ships eventually. In a way, it almost seemed like the game was in the long term intended to be a more sandbox type of open world that people were hoping for with the Matrix games, only with a very unique combat system. Unfortunately, when the original devs went so too did the plans they had, with SOE basically turning the game into a way to keep people subbed as long as possible by just focusing on story events centered around a post trilogy Matrix setting as a primary content method. If you've seen the Matrix 4 you've seen a small fraction of the canon events that took place during the MMO. Suffice to say that it got pretty wild and stupid at times.

It's entirely accurate to say that a come back couldn't happen like how it did in FFXIV simply because the people who would have done the comeback were removed from the company within the first few months after release. Doubly so since SOE had no intention whatsoever in promoting further large scale development once it became apparent that the player base was relatively small after all the fiascos that went down during the opening months, alongside all the things that happened after they took over.

Someone can fill in the blanks there if it's relevant or they want. But yeah, the sub model was very much not the problem with MXO. It had other issues, and those issues tended to stack up on top of old issues over time.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Apr 27, 2022

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Double post, my bad.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I tried MxO and I thought it was fun but my computer couldn't run it well and I kind of forgot about it when I finally upgraded. I remember the combat was interesting and the live story was really cool.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Lawlicaust posted:

But it is a strategy. Their business strategy is focused on getting a huge amount of money from box sales in order to fund future development. They set unrealistic financial goals for success in that timeline. That’s a common practice in failed mmos/games and businesses in general. They are solely focused on short-term gains and not longterm financial strategies and customer loyalty.

I promise you that this is not what they are trying to do, they're just not very good at making successful things.

They keep having to fire lots of people, they are not, primarily, intending to do that.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 28, 2022

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

theflyingorc posted:

I promise you that this is not what they are trying to do, they're just not very good at making successful things.

They keep having to fire lots of people, they are not, primarily, intending to do that.

Whether intentional or them being wildly incompetent at financial and market projections, that is effectively what they are doing. I’ve worked for quite a few companies that are absolute dogshit at accurate financial projection which lead to the exact same scenarios. It’s usually very clear to multiple people that the budget or estimated return (whatever they call it at Funcom) is completely unattainable but they lie to themselves or leadership for various reasons.

There’s nothing about Funcom’s previous track record that would indicate it would sell that well. It should be clear to anyone properly managing cost, resources, and timelines that they were gonna be way off on all of the above. That was a pattern of behavior for them. Maybe the development team didn’t believe or know those things but the directors almost certainly did.

Funcom has always been a company with poor leadership and resource management on every single project. This doesn’t mean that the development teams didn’t work hard or that they didn’t believe in the vision. It doesn’t matter how great your dev team is or how dedicated they are if your leadership is selling a wildly unrealistic deliverable and isn’t properly managing timeline/resource/expectations, it is a leadership failure. That is their whole job. There is absolutely no reason to defend it.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Apr 28, 2022

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Lawlicaust posted:

Funcom has always been a company with poor leadership and resource management on every single project. This doesn’t mean that the development teams didn’t work hard or that they didn’t believe in the vision. It doesn’t matter how great your dev team is or how dedicated they are if your leadership is selling a wildly unrealistic deliverable and isn’t properly managing timeline/resource/expectations, it is a leadership failure. That is their whole job. There is absolutely no reason to defend it.
I'm completely aware, and I'm going to need you to stop being ridiculous. I watched the work being done, I understand what was happening. I have no illusions that the company wasn't making terrible decision after terrible decision.

I'm saying that the specific reasons you're giving, and the narratives you're spinning, aren't related to reality. It isn't "defending them", it's that you fundamentally have said numerous things that are wrong. They treated me terribly, I have no love for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I just want a MMO with a modern setting to come out and not immediately die. Everything about the setting of TSW/SWL is very much my jam

Fantasy settings are probably the most boring settings imaginable and that's what the majority of MMOs use